PDA

View Full Version : Broncos schedule interview with Falcons' assistant Mularkey

Denver Native (Carol)
01-04-2011, 12:48 PM
The Broncos search for their next head coach is officially underway.

The team announced Tuesday, via its official Twitter account, that officials will interview Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey on Friday in Atlanta.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_17007211

BigDaddyBronco
01-04-2011, 12:59 PM
What a bunch of Mularkey!!!

NightTrainLayne
01-04-2011, 01:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Mularkey

DenBronx
01-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Good interview but I hope they continue the search for awhile.

No need to rush and hire the first guy that comes in. We made that mistake a couple of years ago. This is a great organization and should be one of the most appealing places if you want to be a HC in the NFL.

BroncoWave
01-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Meh, we could do better but we could do much worse. He didn't really have much talent to work with in Buffalo. Granted we aren't oozing talent but if Tebow is the QB we hope he is that will be a great start.

chazoe60
01-04-2011, 01:04 PM
What does the Florida connection mean for Tebow? Anything, nothing?

It's kind of interesting though

NightTrainLayne
01-04-2011, 01:06 PM
It is interesting to note that Mularkey first made his name as "inspector gadget" as the OC for Pittsburgh creating packages and plays that worked to players strengths. ..

That's interesting in that it shows the team is interested in someone who will utilize Tebow's strenghts.

BigDaddyBronco
01-04-2011, 01:09 PM
It is interesting to note that Mularkey first made his name as "inspector gadget" as the OC for Pittsburgh creating packages and plays that worked to players strengths. ..

That's interesting in that it shows the team is interested in someone who will utilize Tebow's strenghts.

He also likes punishing offenses that can run the ball. That would be nice.

slim
01-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Well that sucks.

NightTrainLayne
01-04-2011, 01:18 PM
A former NFL tight end, Mularkey has resurrected his coaching career as the offensive coordinator of the Atlanta Falcons. Mularkey, who has also been an offensive coordinator with Pittsburgh and Miami, is getting a lot of credit for the Falcons’ resurgence and particularly his work with quarterback Matt Ryan.

Mularkey’s success with a young quarterback is interesting because Denver has rookie quarterback Tim Tebow, who appears like he may be ready to be the full-time starter in 2011. Denver will be interested in finding a successful offensive coach to help Tebow develop.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/22477/mike-mularkey-could-fit-in-denver

Bill Williamson predicted him to interview last week.

BroncoStud
01-04-2011, 01:19 PM

Sounds like a great OC to me, not a Head Coach. Please let there be many more candidates interviewed.

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 01:19 PM
eww

pipes
01-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Good interview but I hope they continue the search for awhile.

No need to rush and hire the first guy that comes in. We made that mistake a couple of years ago. This is a great organization and should be one of the most appealing places if you want to be a HC in the NFL.
What? Denver interviewed McD, Leslie Fraiser, Raheem Morris, Jason Garrett...and those are just the ones off the top of my head. Spags and Dennison may have even had their turn..I can't remember. McD was the "hot" commodity a couple of yrs ago, I don't blame Bowlen one bit for hiring him.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

NightTrainLayne
01-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Sounds like a great OC to me, not a Head Coach. Please let there be many more candidates interviewed.

I'm not in any way disagreeing. We need to talk to a bunch of guys. He may be in his best spot at OC.

He did however lead Buffalo to it's only winning record in.. . forever. And is key part of a winning organization.

In other words, if he's the worst guy we interview, I like the direction we're heading.

NightTrainLayne
01-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Per Twitter looks like the Browns are going to interview him also.

So. . .Mike Holmgren wants a close look at him.

Elevation inc
01-04-2011, 01:25 PM
i will faint if he gets hired screw that BS......

BroncoStud
01-04-2011, 01:33 PM
i will faint if he gets hired screw that BS......

Yeah, that would suck, really badly. He's a good playcaller but as a Head Coach - no thanks.

Tned
01-04-2011, 01:43 PM
What? Denver interviewed McD, Leslie Fraiser, Raheem Morris, Jason Garrett...and those are just the ones off the top of my head. Spags and Dennison may have even had their turn..I can't remember. McD was the "hot" commodity a couple of yrs ago, I don't blame Bowlen one bit for hiring him.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

I believe Spags was interviewed the day before or after McDaniels, on the same road trip that Bowlen and company were on.

NightTrainLayne
01-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Under Mularkey’s creative tutelage, quarterback Kordell Stewart passed for 3,109 yards en route to be chosen to the AFC Pro Bowl squad. The following season in 2002 Mularkey’s coaching expertise was witnessed again as he helped resurrect quarterback Tommy Maddox’s career. After not playing in the NFL in fi ve years, Maddox threw for 2,836 yards with 20 touchdowns and set a single-season franchise record with a 62.1 completion percentage to earn NFL Comeback Player of the Year honors.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/roster-coaches/mike-mularkey/

BigSarge87
01-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Maybe it will soften some of these other candidates that are playing hard to get. IDK.

cuzz4169
01-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Just so you guys know...Denver is not gonna hire Cower or Gruden....Its gonna be a coach....not someone who wants control of GM duties also...Mularky is not bad...its a good interview.

Ziggy
01-04-2011, 02:06 PM
I like the idea of bringing Mularkey in. He's known for fitting his system to the talents of his players, and establishing a good, tough, running game. Both would definitely benefit Tebow. Like every other head coach that comes in, he'll need to hire a good D coordinator, but it would be nice to see the Broncos actually trying to fit round pegs into round holes for once.

NightTrainLayne
01-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Just so you guys know...Denver is not gonna hire Cower or Gruden....Its gonna be a coach....not someone who wants control of GM duties also...Mularky is not bad...its a good interview.

I'm not campaigning for Mularkey, but I'm campaigning for someone like him.

Seems to me that the most successful HC's in the NFL are long-time assistants with myriad experience in several different organizations who have a penchant for innovation.

Shanny had been part of the 49er, Broncos and previous HC of the Raiders. Three very different organizations. Brought in GREAT assistants from all of his contacts over the years within those different organizations.

McD was close. . .but he had only ever been a part of one organization. While that was a great org, it wasn't the "right" experience. After McD works in another couple of orgs he'll be ready again, and he'll make a fine HC.

This guy fits the bill. There are surely many others out there who do as well, but this is the direction I think we need to go. Whoever the new HC is, he probably won't be a blockbuster like Cowher or Gruden.. . but I don't think he should be either.

Traveler
01-04-2011, 02:25 PM
VPFO-Elway
GM-Xanders
HC-Mularkey

Hmmmm? Guess if I can't say anything nice, I won't say anything at all.

cuzz4169
01-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Good point on twitter by Lindsay Jones...She said The Falcons should be the model for rebuilding a franchise in ruins. Makes sense to interview a guy who was a part of it.

rationalfan
01-04-2011, 02:32 PM
keep in mind, this is no indication of the team's interest in coaching candidates (thinking the first candidate is the first choice). mularkey HAS to be interviewed this week because of his team's bye week for the playoff. it's a league rule, i believe.

BeefStew25
01-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Wait. Is Mularky black, yellow, red or brown?

chazoe60
01-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Wait. Is Mularky black, yellow, red or brown?

That question is a bunch of racist malarkey.

BeefStew25
01-04-2011, 02:37 PM
That question is a bunch of racist malarkey.

I just didn't know if we had got our 'lets treats minorities like retards' interview done yet.

BroncoWave
01-04-2011, 02:38 PM
I just didn't know if we had got our 'lets treats minorities like retards' interview done yet.

He's a whitey.

Buff
01-04-2011, 02:39 PM

Studesville is scheduled for Monday.

BeefStew25
01-04-2011, 02:40 PM
He's a whitey.

Ok so he is a legitimate candidate. Thank you Tulane.

slim
01-04-2011, 02:40 PM

Studesville will be playing the role of retard.

chazoe60
01-04-2011, 02:43 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I smell thread derailment in 3.......2.........1..............

Dapper Dan
01-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Didn't he fail at being a Head Coach? Let's see if we can bring him in as OC.

Lancane
01-04-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm sorry...but I'm not sold on Mike Mularkey and not just cause of one simple little reason or another, but how about a whole bunch of reasons. Yes, he was the Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Coordinator from 2001 through 2003, a unit that went from 7th in the NFL to 19th in the NFL during his tenure at the position, and maybe he did help Tommy Maddox and Kordell Stewart, but neither were pro-style quarterbacks, what does that say about Tebow? Do the Broncos think he's more akin to those two compared to Steve Young? In my honest opinion I believe this is Brian Xanders interview, I believe he set this up, according to several sources John Elway is returning from Florida today? Well, that would point out to someone else setting up this interview, unless John called him and told him to set it up.

Another issue is that Mularkey while intruiging as a candidate has not held a steady position for the number of years you would like to see in a candidate, his longest tenure anywhere was as the Tight Ends Coach in Pittsburgh from 96' through 00'. Other then that, he's held positions for one or two years, and now and then three at most. Let's not forget this is the Miami Dolphins' Offensive Coordinator who was demoted back to Tight Ends Coach after one season. And worse who is he going to bring in as the Offensive Coordinator? Tom Clements? Bill Musgrave? Both are Quarterback Coaches and look at who've they've worked with, not until recently would I say they worked with anyone of pro caliber and even then they are not the reasons for those quarterbacks to be as good as they are. Neither has molded a project QB into more then just that.

BigDaddyBronco
01-04-2011, 02:47 PM

Yea, it makes a lot of sense for him to leave being the OC of the Falcons to be an OC for the Broncos.

BroncoWave
01-04-2011, 02:52 PM

You aren't allowed to make lateral moves in the NFL if you are under contract, unless it's as a HC.

NightTrainLayne
01-04-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm sorry...but I'm not sold on Mike Mularkey and not just cause of one simple little reason or another, but how about a whole bunch of reasons. Yes, he was the Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Coordinator from 2001 through 2003, a unit that went from 7th in the NFL to 19th in the NFL during his tenure at the position, and maybe he did help Tommy Maddox and Kordell Stewart, but neither were pro-style quarterbacks, what does that say about Tebow? Do the Broncos think he's more akin to those two compared to Steve Young? In my honest opinion I believe this is Brian Xanders interview, I believe he set this up, according to several sources John Elway is returning from Florida today? Well, that would point out to someone else setting up this interview, unless John called him and told him to set it up.

Another issue is that Mularkey while intruiging as a candidate has not held a steady position for the number of years you would like to see in a candidate, his longest tenure anywhere was as the Tight Ends Coach in Pittsburgh from 96' through 00'. Other then that, he's held positions for one or two years, and now and then three at most. Let's not forget this is the Miami Dolphins' Offensive Coordinator who was demoted back to Tight Ends Coach after one season. And worse who is he going to bring in as the Offensive Coordinator? Tom Clements? Bill Musgrave? Both are Quarterback Coaches and look at who've they've worked with, not until recently would I say they worked with anyone of pro caliber and even then they are not the reasons for those quarterbacks to be as good as they are. Neither has molded a project QB into more then just that.

You're really spinning. You discount his time in Pittsburgh by trying to break it up as though it was two different jobs. . .it was a promotion. He then took a HC job.

In Miami, he lost the OC job because of a coaching change at the top. Not surprising. Yes it was a demotion, but it says something to me that a new coaching staff kept him on.

He's done a great job with Atlanta in his most recent "short" stay. (He hasn't left or been fired. . .yet).

Now all of a sudden it seems like I'm campaigning for the guy. I'm not. But I do think that our next HC will be someone like Mularkey.

BeefStew25
01-04-2011, 02:53 PM
You aren't allowed to make lateral moves in the NFL if you are under contract, unless it's as a HC.

Mike Nolan.

NightTrainLayne
01-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Mike Nolan.

Yeah, everyone always forgets that it's fine with the previous team's permission.

BroncoWave
01-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Mike Nolan.

Denver let him out of his contract. Try again.

UnderArmour
01-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Hell yeah! I'd be excited if this guy was HC. He's had experience working as a HC before and has been biding his time to work again as one.

http://www.webworksmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/inspector-gadget.jpg

He seems like a guy who would love to work with a Tim Tebow type player and an underused player like Eddie Royal. I have no doubt we still have the talent on offense to be successful but we need a coach who isn't afraid to work to the player's strength. McDaniels was all about his scheme not about adjusting.

BroncoWave
01-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Yeah, everyone always forgets that it's fine with the previous team's permission.

First of all, Mularkey would never make that move, but Atlanta wouldn't have to allow him if they didn't want to.

G_Money
01-04-2011, 02:57 PM
I don't want Mularkey as the head man. He's doing what he should be doing, and where his skillset is.

And he pisses off even his own fans with some of the playcalling and design he does for the offense in Atlanta.

Maybe he's like Haley in KC. If so, then I want at least two former head-coaches and all around badasses as coordinators under him.

~G

NightTrainLayne
01-04-2011, 02:58 PM
First of all, Mularkey would never make that move, but Atlanta wouldn't have to allow him if they didn't want to.

I didn't say he would.

NightTrainLayne
01-04-2011, 03:00 PM
I don't want Mularkey as the head man. He's doing what he should be doing, and where his skillset is.

And he pisses off even his own fans with some of the playcalling and design he does for the offense in Atlanta.

Maybe he's like Haley in KC. If so, then I want at least two former head-coaches and all around badasses as coordinators under him.

~G

Whoever the new guy is we should all want two former HC's and all-around bad-asses to be the coordinators.

Dapper Dan
01-04-2011, 03:07 PM
All you had to say was "He's still under contract".

And then that answers what I said. We don't need him as head coach. He's a good OC, not a good coach.

G_Money
01-04-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm just looking at the package deal.

I don't care as much who the head coach is. I care what his staff looks like.

I actually liked the Goodman GM, McDaniels HC/OC and Nolan DC trifecta. I think if that had stayed intact McDaniels would still be here, and we'd be winning.

But McDaniels + a pissed off island of nothing was no recipe for success.

There's gonna be a lot of freed talent floating around this year as a bunch of good people get canned from unsuccessful teams. There's a bunch more talent on other staffs that should get promoted.

We need to latch on to some of the best of those guys. In the same way that Tebow doesn't need to be Brady if we get the rest of the team working, our next HC doesn't need to be Belichick if we get him some heavy lifters as assistants.

~G

The Experience
01-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Mularkey will likely bring Tim Lewis as his DC. Which would be awesome.

Here is his resume
http://www.atlantafalcons.com/roster-coaches/tim-lewis/

Lancane
01-04-2011, 03:14 PM
You're really spinning. You discount his time in Pittsburgh by trying to break it up as though it was two different jobs. . .it was a promotion. He then took a HC job.

In Miami, he lost the OC job because of a coaching change at the top. Not surprising. Yes it was a demotion, but it says something to me that a new coaching staff kept him on.

He's done a great job with Atlanta in his most recent "short" stay. (He hasn't left or been fired. . .yet).

Now all of a sudden it seems like I'm campaigning for the guy. I'm not. But I do think that our next HC will be someone like Mularkey.

NightTrain, he took the 7th best overall offense in 2001 and within two years that unit was the 19th overall offense in the league. Buffalo had the 7th best overall offense his first year, they were 24th the next year. Miami had the 16th best overall offense in 2005, he's hired as the Offensive Coordinator and that year they're 29th in the league! Am I leary, oh hell yeah...if this is the best candidate we're screwed. He was given a unit with talent, they added more and gave him Ryan who is one hell of a quarterback. What project quarterback did he mold? Kordell Stewart? I hope to God Tebow is better then him, but that should be a huge issue in itself.

I understand that we're likely to go after a coordinator or coach that's offensive minded. But damn, I don't like Mularkey's resume compared to a plethora of coaches out there that are just as available - Fassel, Koetter, Carmichael, Arians, Dennison, Philbin, Knapp, Mornhinweg, Schottenheimer or even Gilbride.

Ziggy
Mularkey will likely bring Tim Lewis as his DC. Which would be awesome.

Here is his resume
http://www.atlantafalcons.com/roster-coaches/tim-lewis/

I wonder what scheme Lewis would run on D. Looks like he's been a part of the Steelers 3-4 as wells as some 4-3 teams.

BigSarge87
Whoever the new guy is we should all want two former HC's and all-around bad-asses to be the coordinators.

There should be plenty of them out there by the time the all HC dust settles, shouldn't there?

The Experience
01-04-2011, 03:16 PM
I wonder what scheme Lewis would run on D. Looks like he's been a part of the Steelers 3-4 as wells as some 4-3 teams.

He can run both. That's one of the things that is great about it. We would have a legitimate Offensive mind and a legitimate Defensive mind on the same sideline.

Lancane
01-04-2011, 03:23 PM
He can run both. That's one of the things that is great about it. We would have a legitimate Offensive mind and a legitimate Defensive mind on the same sideline.

Here's the thing, what if he's not really that legitimate of an offensive mind? Great that he brings a quality defensive coordinator, but we have a lot riding on Tebow as the future, a bad choice as head coach could hurt his progress, hell it could ruin his career in general. And I personnaly don't think Mularkey has the skillset to mold a quarterback from a project into a real pro-style quarterback, we don't need him to be the next Kordell Stewart, we need him to be the next Steve Young. And I don't see that pedigree in Mularkey. Our defense would likely improve...our offense would likely have a better run game and chances are likely we would hurt the kid the fans have high hopes in, in one day being our franchise quarterback.

The Experience
01-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Here's the thing, what if he's not really that legitimate of an offensive mind? Great that he brings a quality defensive coordinator, but we have a lot riding on Tebow as the future, a bad choice as head coach could hurt his progress, hell it could ruin his career in general. And I personnaly don't think Mularkey has the skillset to mold a quarterback from a project into a real pro-style quarterback, we don't need him to be the next Kordell Stewart, we need him to be the next Steve Young. And I don't see that pedigree in Mularkey. Our defense would likely improve...our offense would likely have a better run game and chances are likely we would hurt the kid the fans have high hopes in, in one day being our franchise quarterback.

I disagree I think he has the skill-set for Tebow. But even if he didn't it doesn't matter. I like Tebow as much as everyone else but we are not the Denver Tebows. By our D improving and our run game being top notch our team gets better. And in the end that's all that matters.

Bosco
01-04-2011, 03:34 PM
I would be happy with Mularkey. Kordell Stewart was alot like Tebow and he had his best years playing for Mularkey. Mularkey then started to do some good things in Buffalo before the ownership undercut him by bringing in Levy. He then went to Atlanta and put together a solid offense and has done well with Matt Ryan.

Give him the backing of a strong, competent GM and I think he'll make a good coach.

WARHORSE
01-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Mularkey is not my first choice but I like his credentials.

I like that he has HC experience regardless of what happened in result in Buffalo.

Take a look at the job Chan Gailey has done in Buffalo. Yeah, they have a terrible record, but in my mind, he did alot with very little.

The experience of being a HC and winning produces alot of guys who dont take advice very well, but give it.

Give me a coach that is always learning, moving, growing and I dont care what the past record is. Of course he has to have shown the ability to make players better, and have some success. But a man who has had his hands on the reigns and then had them taken away is hungry and eager to prove himself.

I bet Mularkey has reflected on all his decisions as a HC, and learned. Not to mention, your success is tempered by the players youre dealt.

No one with a sorry QB is going to go very far in this league.

Or a sorry defense.

Lancane
01-04-2011, 03:46 PM
I disagree I think he has the skill-set for Tebow. But even if he didn't it doesn't matter. I like Tebow as much as everyone else but we are not the Denver Tebows. By our D improving and our run game being top notch our team gets better. And in the end that's all that matters.

Tebow is being paid roughly 6 million a year on a five year deal, I would say it's a big deal. And I'm sure Elway and Bowlen would agree with me not with you...while a good defense and run game helps us improve some, those two are offensive minded individuals with a love for quarterbacks and you say it doesn't matter? It will matter if we have to do this again in another three or four years because we got it wrong and because the quarterback we hoped to mold into a franchise quarterback is nothing but a bust thanks to a horrid choice in coaches.

Sometimes I have to wonder if people actually understand Elway or especially Bowlen, both have a huge affinity for quarterbacks and Tebow's development will play a huge part in who gets the job, I'd bet money on it.

I Eat Staples
01-04-2011, 03:51 PM

I was going to agree with BTB that we could do better but Mularkey is not a bad candidate, until I read this. If you have to have a gadget game plan for your QB then you need a new QB.

Tebow can either be an NFL QB or he can't. We will find that out next year. If he is, great, we have our guy. But if he isn't, we need to go find that guy, not try to make Tebow the guy through smoke and mirrors.

Lancane
01-04-2011, 03:53 PM
I would be happy with Mularkey. Kordell Stewart was alot like Tebow and he had his best years playing for Mularkey. Mularkey then started to do some good things in Buffalo before the ownership undercut him by bringing in Levy. He then went to Atlanta and put together a solid offense and has done well with Matt Ryan.

Give him the backing of a strong, competent GM and I think he'll make a good coach.

Kordell Stewart did well in an offense designed to utilize his strenghts, even you have to admit that Bosco, he wasn't molded into a pro-style quarterback and that should be evident with the turn his career took, in the end he ended up being a huge bust because he didn't fit the pro style that most NFL teams want at quarterback. Mularkey has pretty much failed more then succeeded until he got Ryan, a legit pro-style quarterback, but he didn't have to coach Ryan, he didn't have to mold him as Tebow will need coached and molded. I like the offenses that he runs, that I agree with...but I don't think he has the pedigree that is right for this team right now, I really don't.

I would be fine if I believed he'd hire someone like Gregg Knapp or Jim Fassel as the offensive coordinator, someone with that skillset to mold and really coach quarterbacks, but there is no evidence that he would.

G_Money
01-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Tebow is being paid roughly 6 million a year on a five year deal, I would say it's a big deal.

Uh...no he isn't.

I'm pretty sure he would need to be MVP of the league every year to make that on his contract incentives.

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/the-truth-about-tim-tebows-contract-with-broncos/

The five-year deal has a base package of just $11.25 million according to Gregg Rosenthal at PFT.

Tebow can tack on $9 million through escalators triggered by playing in the Pro Bowl, playoffs and Super Bowl.

The remaining money is tied up in incentives based on playing time and becoming the starter.

And when he does get in the game, he’s going to have to “have to make Peyton Manning look like a fool” to reach all of his escalators according to Rosenthal.

I think later estimations took that figure down to like 9 million. If he's not starting, he's not getting paid. If he's not making the playoffs and the Pro Bowl, he loses escalators.

We could trade Tebow easily, or sit him as a backup for cheaper than we can sign a pro backup.

I think he'll be our starting QB in 2011 and beyond, but the only way he makes that much bank is to start every game, and start them so well that we make the playoffs and he repeatedly gets to go to Hawaii (or wherever they're holding the Pro Bowl now).

~G

Lancane
01-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Uh...no he isn't.

I'm pretty sure he would need to be MVP of the league every year to make that on his contract incentives.

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/the-truth-about-tim-tebows-contract-with-broncos/

I think later estimations took that figure down to like 9 million. If he's not starting, he's not getting paid. If he's not making the playoffs and the Pro Bowl, he loses escalators.

We could trade Tebow easily, or sit him as a backup for cheaper than we can sign a pro backup.

I think he'll be our starting QB in 2011 and beyond, but the only way he makes that much bank is to start every game, and start them so well that we make the playoffs and he repeatedly gets to go to Hawaii (or wherever they're holding the Pro Bowl now).

~G

If I remember correctly his base is 11.25 million, with 8.7 million guaranteed and the escalators could make it worth more then 33 million, so roughly 3.9 million a year or something akin to that. Thanks for clarifying that G. I wonder where I got 6 from? Oh well...

The point still stands thought G, that he will be playing a factor with the next head coach, unless Elway is going to trade the house and farm for a more pro-ready quarterback like Luck or trade down a few slots and draft Mallett, then Tebow is a big factor in who we hire as the next head coach.

Bosco
01-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Kordell Stewart did well in an offense designed to utilize his strenghts, even you have to admit that Bosco, he wasn't molded into a pro-style quarterback and that should be evident with the turn his career took, in the end he ended up being a huge bust because he didn't fit the pro style that most NFL teams want at quarterback. Building an offense that fits your player's strengths is a pretty big prerequisite for coaching, is it not?

Anyways, Stewart was far less talented and driven than Tebow. If Mularkey was able to pull some solid years out of Slash, imagine what he could do with Tebow.

Mularkey has pretty much failed more then succeeded until he got Ryan I don't see how. He coached the 2004 Bills to a 9-7 record (their last winning record to date) before resigning the next year. His one year stint with the Saban led Dolphins was literally his only real failure to date.

I would be fine if I believed he'd hire someone like Gregg Knapp or Jim Fassel as the offensive coordinator, someone with that skillset to mold and really coach quarterbacks, but there is no evidence that he would. Greg Knapp? Seriously bro? That guy is quite literally one of the worst offensive coordinators to ever grace the NFL. If ends up in Denver I may jump off the tallest building I can find.

Fassel, I'd be ok with.

Lancane
01-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Building an offense that fits your player's strengths is a pretty big prerequisite for coaching, is it not?

Anyways, Stewart was far less talented and driven than Tebow. If Mularkey was able to pull some solid years out of Slash, imagine what he could do with Tebow.

I don't see how. He coached the 2004 Bills to a 9-7 record (their last winning record to date) before resigning the next year. His one year stint with the Saban led Dolphins was literally his only real failure to date.

Greg Knapp? Seriously bro? That guy is quite literally one of the worst offensive coordinators to ever grace the NFL. If ends up in Denver I may jump off the tallest building I can find.

Fassel, I'd be ok with.

Yes, the ideal coach does usually build an offense around key players' strengths, but how often does that work in the NFL? Once or twice out of every ten tries...look how it worked for Miami, but then again for every Miami there seems to be a Tampa Bay and so people believe it is that easy. But then again, how successful was Stewart in Pittsburgh or Plummer in Denver? Fact is that offenses built to a player's strength, particularly at the quarterback position fail more then succeed, especially when that particular positional athlete is not prototypical to that same said position, in this case a pro-style quarterback. Young had to be molded, Vick had to be molded or what you get is a Kordell Stewart or Vince Young even.

Tebow is a project, he has a lot of work ahead of him in order for him to be what he wants and that is a prototypical pocket passing quarterback, that will take work, but it will also take a coach that can help mold him for him to be that way and there is no evidence that Mularkey has that ability as a coach...and again that's why I mentioned Knapp, only because he has worked with left-handed quarterbacks before, he understands the demands on him. But how can we really slam him when Mularkey's resume is pretty similar in short tenures here and there? I would be absolutely thrilled if Jim Fassel was the offensive coordinator here in Denver, but is that likely to happen with Mularkey? With Studesville possibly, but I don't see it happening unless Elway is putting together the staff in regards to Mularkey.

Another thing, we want to credit Mularkey for the Bills rise from the ashes, but not their downfall a season later, or that he took the 7th overall offense in Pittsburgh and turned them into the 19th overall offense in as short of time, or that he took the 16th overall offense in Miami and next thing you know they're the 29th overall offense. That is failure, and let's just admit it...he's hot right now because of whats happening in Atlanta, but where would he be without Matt Ryan? Probably looking more like he did in the past then he's doing now...would you admit to that? So he's never molded a quarterback to the NFL game that's been more then fodder nor been a pro-style quarterback in the end, correct?

Do we really want a head coach like him? I would rather hire Jim Fassel as a head coach or take our chances with Studesville to be honest.

BroncoStud
01-04-2011, 05:59 PM
NightTrain, he took the 7th best overall offense in 2001 and within two years that unit was the 19th overall offense in the league. Buffalo had the 7th best overall offense his first year, they were 24th the next year. Miami had the 16th best overall offense in 2005, he's hired as the Offensive Coordinator and that year they're 29th in the league! Am I leary, oh hell yeah...if this is the best candidate we're screwed. He was given a unit with talent, they added more and gave him Ryan who is one hell of a quarterback. What project quarterback did he mold? Kordell Stewart? I hope to God Tebow is better then him, but that should be a huge issue in itself.

I understand that we're likely to go after a coordinator or coach that's offensive minded. But damn, I don't like Mularkey's resume compared to a plethora of coaches out there that are just as available - Fassel, Koetter, Carmichael, Arians, Dennison, Philbin, Knapp, Mornhinweg, Schottenheimer or even Gilbride.

AMEN! I understand why the Broncos interviewed him, I get that, but it had better be only the first of many interviews with several candidates. It would really SUCK if Bowlen settles on him. Hopefully Elway can talk Harbaugh into coming to the Broncos. That is the style of offense I would love to see us run, Luck thrived in the playaction much like I believe Tebow would.

Bosco
01-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Yes, the ideal coach does usually build an offense around key players' strengths, but how often does that work in the NFL? Once or twice out of every ten tries...look how it worked for Miami, but then again for every Miami there seems to be a Tampa Bay and so people believe it is that easy. But then again, how successful was Stewart in Pittsburgh or Plummer in Denver? Fact is that offenses built to a player's strength, particularly at the quarterback position fail more then succeed, especially when that particular positional athlete is not prototypical to that same said position, in this case a pro-style quarterback. Young had to be molded, Vick had to be molded or what you get is a Kordell Stewart or Vince Young even. You make it sound like building an offense around Tebow is some monumental task. Hell, we already had that offense here before McCoy took over and completely bastardized it. Contrary to popular belief you don't need some gimmick offense to allow Tebow to succeed. Keep a spread based offense that allows Tebow the freedom to run 5-10 times a game and you're pretty much good to go.

Tebow is a project, he has a lot of work ahead of him in order for him to be what he wants and that is a prototypical pocket passing quarterback, that will take work, but it will also take a coach that can help mold him for him to be that way and there is no evidence that Mularkey has that ability as a coach...and again that's why I mentioned Knapp, only because he has worked with left-handed quarterbacks before, he understands the demands on him. But how can we really slam him when Mularkey's resume is pretty similar in short tenures here and there? I would be absolutely thrilled if Jim Fassel was the offensive coordinator here in Denver, but is that likely to happen with Mularkey? With Studesville possibly, but I don't see it happening unless Elway is putting together the staff in regards to Mularkey. Knapp tried to turn Michael Vick into a pocket passing WCO quarterback. That was a complete failure (and pure idiocy) that got both him and Jim Mora tossed out of Atlanta. Mora then took Knapp with him to Seattle and bombed there as well. I'd prefer he NOT be allowed anywhere near Tebow, or our team for that matter.

If you want a guy who can develop mobile, left handed quarterbacks, then call up Marty Mornhinweg and give him the job. He's the one who turned Michael Vick into a legit NFL quarterback and has done a good job coordinating Philly's vertical passing attack.

BroncoStud
01-04-2011, 06:13 PM
I don't believe it is the HC's job to turn Tebow into anything, that's what they have OCs and QBCs for. I want the HC to be more worried about fixing the defense.

Hell, the offense McCoy was running in the last 2 games is good enough to win ball games with Tebow. We need a coach to come in here and fix this defense and get our running game back on track.

Call me crazy but I wouldn't be against the idea of trading K.Moreno either, he would make a package deal look a lot more juicy if a team was dealing.

The Experience
01-04-2011, 06:17 PM
I don't believe it is the HC's job to turn Tebow into anything, that's what they have OCs and QBCs for. I want the HC to be more worried about fixing the defense.

Hell, the offense McCoy was running in the last 2 games is good enough to win ball games with Tebow. We need a coach to come in here and fix this defense and get our running game back on track.

Call me crazy but I wouldn't be against the idea of trading K.Moreno either, he would make a package deal look a lot more juicy if a team was dealing.

Moreno would be a beast in Mularkey's system. Then he would bring in a great DC in Tim Lewis to build our defense.

Lancane
01-04-2011, 06:19 PM
You make it sound like building an offense around Tebow is some monumental task. Hell, we already had that offense here before McCoy took over and completely bastardized it. Contrary to popular belief you don't need some gimmick offense to allow Tebow to succeed. Keep a spread based offense that allows Tebow the freedom to run 5-10 times a game and you're pretty much good to go.

Knapp tried to turn Michael Vick into a pocket passing WCO quarterback. That was a complete failure (and pure idiocy) that got both him and Jim Mora tossed out of Atlanta. Mora then took Knapp with him to Seattle and bombed there as well. I'd prefer he NOT be allowed anywhere near Tebow, or our team for that matter.

If you want a guy who can develop mobile, left handed quarterbacks, then call up Marty Mornhinweg and give him the job. He's the one who turned Michael Vick into a legit NFL quarterback and has done a good job coordinating Philly's vertical passing attack.

Bosco, come on...the spread is all good, but it doesn't help Tebow in becoming what he has to, to actually succeed at this level. You think we should run the Urban Meyer Spread? Even Brady could not succeed without being accurate and learning to be a pocket passer, it's not that hard to understand that mobile quarterbacks that lack the ability to be solid in the pocket fail in the NFL. Who was the last mobile quarterback that lacked the pocket passing presence to win anything but a playoff game? They don't last in the NFL, Bill Belichick said the same exact thing...it's a plus to have a quarterback that has that ability, but to be successful they have to be able to stand in the pocket, we as Denver fans learned that with Plummer.

The issue with Mularkey is that he doesn't have a great pedigree with developing quarterbacks, gameplanning around their strengths, yes...developing them no. Tebow is not very accurate, he hasn't learned patience or the ability to really checkdown and get the ball to the receivers with better timing, how to read defenses and so on. There is a lot of work to be done and hiring Mularkey would be like hiring a Ford mechanic to work on a Ferrari, it might run well for a time but you can never be sure he didn't F' it up!

Bosco
01-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Bosco, come on...the spread is all good, but it doesn't help Tebow in becoming what he has to, to actually succeed at this level. Not true. There have been more than a few quarterbacks from spread colleges that faltered in the NFL until they went back to a spread based offense. Drew Brees and Kyle Orton are two in just recent memory that saw that happened.

You think we should run the Urban Meyer Spread? We've been running the NFL evolution of that offense already. I'd love to keep it. Any spread offense would be sufficient for me though.

Even Brady could not succeed without being accurate and learning to be a pocket passer, it's not that hard to understand that mobile quarterbacks that lack the ability to be solid in the pocket fail in the NFL. Who was the last mobile quarterback that lacked the pocket passing presence to win anything but a playoff game? They don't last in the NFL, Bill Belichick said the same exact thing...it's a plus to have a quarterback that has that ability, but to be successful they have to be able to stand in the pocket, we as Denver fans learned that with Plummer. Tebow has already shown more pocket passing ability than guys like Kordell Stewart, Jake Plummer and the pre-2010 Michael Vick. That's a very solid base to build on for a guy who has only started 3 games and it's not like he needs THAT much work there.

Tebow is not very accurate I don't know how you can possibly say that.

he hasn't learned patience or the ability to really checkdown and get the ball to the receivers with better timing, how to read defenses and so on. This is true, but it takes time to learn those things and he is only a rookie.

Lancane
01-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Not true. There have been more than a few quarterbacks from spread colleges that faltered in the NFL until they went back to a spread based offense. Drew Brees and Kyle Orton are two in just recent memory that saw that happened.

We've been running the NFL evolution of that offense already. I'd love to keep it. Any spread offense would be sufficient for me though.

Tebow has already shown more pocket passing ability than guys like Kordell Stewart, Jake Plummer and the pre-2010 Michael Vick. That's a very solid base to build on for a guy who has only started 3 games and it's not like he needs THAT much work there.

I don't know how you can possibly say that.

This is true, but it takes time to learn those things and he is only a rookie.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this Bosco, I don't see us keeping the same spread as we have now, nor are we likely to remain with a base spread offensive scheme. I also think Mularkey is a rather bad choice when we need to have someone that has proven better at working with developmental quarterbacks and developing them to actually succeed in the NFL. I'd be fine with Fassel or Carmichael from New Orleans, even Schottenheimer from New York, I don't see Mularkey as the best candidate, if we had a Matt Ryan type quarterback that did not need development as much compared to Tebow I would be alright with Mularkey, I would. I love his offensive schemes, the way he disguises his plays and audibles, and how he can build game plans to player's strengths, but in developing talent...he fails in a big way and I don't like his inconsistency either.

:beer:

zbeg
01-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Tebow has already shown more pocket passing ability than guys like Kordell Stewart, Jake Plummer and the pre-2010 Michael Vick. That's a very solid base to build on for a guy who has only started 3 games and it's not like he needs THAT much work there.

He doesn't need THAT much more work? So he's basically just a little short of being Tom Brady? Just a few tweaks...

The Broncos need a guy who can develop QB talent. If your standard is "he's better at throwing the ball than Kordell Stewart," that's not a very good standard. If your standard is "we want this guy to be as close to Tom Brady or Peyton Manning as possible," then Tebow has a long ways to go.

I want a guy who can make sure that happens. Even if he doesn't get to Tom Brady status (which is probably unattainable; no shame in not being as good as Brady), I want a coach who can at least do everything he can to maximize Tebow's chances of getting there. Mularkey has not shown a track record of being able to do that.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Pass. No retreads please. No Fassel (who NFLN said is also likely to interview). No Mularkey. I want a newby who hasn't already failed miserably with their shot at the big time. Gimme Harbaugh, Rivera, etc

Lancane
01-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Pass. No retreads please. No Fassel (who NFLN said is also likely to interview). No Mularkey. I want a newby who hasn't already failed miserably with their shot at the big time. Gimme Harbaugh, Rivera, etc

I would be alright with Fassel, especially over Mularkey. I would like to see us interview Rivera, but it looks like the team is focusing on offensive minded candidates, at least for now. Harbaugh intrigues me, but with Michigan firing Rodriguez I am not sure he is still on the market.

PAINTERDAVE
01-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Interesting that Rivera has interview(s)? scheduled... but not with Denver.

Lancane
01-04-2011, 07:13 PM

Which completely blows in my book, he should have been number one on our list even above Harbaugh at least in my opinion.

The Experience
01-04-2011, 07:13 PM

Mularkey far from "failed miserably". He was 9-7 in his first year, the team struggled the next year and he resigned because he was unhappy with management.

BroncoStud
01-04-2011, 08:31 PM

Yeah it's really BS that it hasn't happened. Hopefully it is because Mularkey's only week to interview is this one, and Rivera has all offseason...

If Denver is only looking at Mularkey that would be just insanity, and it sucks.

Dzone
01-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Dennison is ripe for the pickin. We dont need no mularkey. Lets get Dennison in here. Smartest brain in the NFL. The guy was an understudy to joe gibbs. Save our team, hire Dennison...if not Dennison then we need to at least get harbaugh in and offer him the job

BroncoWave
01-04-2011, 08:41 PM
If Denver is only looking at Mularkey that would be just insanity, and it sucks.

Good lord people on here are drama queens. The reason Mularkey is the first one being interviewed is because you have to interview coaches of teams with first round byes during their bye weeks. Has nothing to do with their order of preference.

I don't understand why people have created this vision in their heads that somehow Mularkey is the favorite for the job and will be the only one interviewed.

BeefStew25
01-04-2011, 08:54 PM
You go Pube!

frauschieze
01-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Good lord people on here are drama queens. The reason Mularkey is the first one being interviewed is because you have to interview coaches of teams with first round byes during their bye weeks. Has nothing to do with their order of preference.

I don't understand why people have created this vision in their heads that somehow Mularkey is the favorite for the job and will be the only one interviewed.

And every time you say things like this, you sound just like they do. :hi:

BroncoWave
01-04-2011, 09:46 PM
And every time you say things like this, you sound just like they do. :hi:

Nice comment from a mod. :hi:

hamrob
01-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Anybody pick up on when he was drafted?

We had a pretty good draft that year....didn't we?

bigtimebronco
01-05-2011, 01:18 AM
Although Harbaugh is my #1 guy, Mularkey isn't too far behind. The F.O.s interesst in him is leading me heavily to believe that Tim Tebow is a huge factor in who they pursue as H.C. Mike is known for drawing up plays and schemes in which he can utilize players unique talents and maximize their threats (hence the nickname Inspector Gadget). Put Tim Tebow in this guys hands, and we're going to have quite the colorful offense, and he'll also help out alot with our running game. The only thing with this is that we absolutely NEED to strike gold as far as DC goes

Lonestar
01-05-2011, 01:48 AM
He also likes punishing offenses that can run the ball. That would be nice.

Why would anyone want to digress back to a running offense.

This is a passing league. HS been for a few years now and only going to get
More so.