PDA

View Full Version : Either way... we're set at QB.

bigplaypotential
01-04-2011, 12:56 AM
Andrew Luck, or Tim Tebow. Two quarterbacks with bright futures. In my opinion, you can achieve success either way. :cool:

bigtimebronco
01-04-2011, 01:01 AM
I like the optimism but enough about Luck. The F.O. has been sketchy but theyre not moronic enough to take a shot at Luck. We all know what the problem is. Peyton Manning himself wouldnt win on this team.

Offense
Total Yards: 13th in NFL
Pass Yards: 7th in NFL
Rush Yards: 26th NFL

Defense
Total Yards: 32nd in NFL
Pass Yards: 25th in NFL
Rush Yards: 31st in NFL

bigplaypotential
01-04-2011, 01:06 AM
I'm not proposing he wins right away. If Luck is the next Peyton, he won't win for a year or two until he gets a sense of chemistry with the coaching staff and the rest of his offense. Obviously the defense would have to be addressed, and the team wouldn't have success until the defense was signifigantly improved.

BroncoStud
01-04-2011, 01:23 AM
If Luck is everything that's advertised, which he certainly looked solid tonight in the Orange Bowl, you can NEVER pass on that kind of QB if he is available.

An elite QB is one of the most coveted positions in all of sports.

CrazyHorse
01-04-2011, 01:33 AM
Damn it. Had we beaten the Chargers we wouldn't even be talking about this. QB is not the problem on this team...

bigtimebronco
01-04-2011, 01:36 AM
If Luck is everything that's advertised, which he certainly looked solid tonight in the Orange Bowl, you can NEVER pass on that kind of QB if he is available.

An elite QB is one of the most coveted positions in all of sports.

See but this is where it gets interesting. Couldnt you argue that Tebow wouldve performed just as well if not better? Im starting to think this is more of a Andrew Luck "looks" more like a quarterback thing.

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 01:44 AM
Damn it. Had we beaten the Chargers we wouldn't even be talking about this. QB is not the problem on this team...

We shouldnt even be talking about it now.

When will people understand that Luck is a lock to go #1 to Carolina. There is not going to be any trades and I dont think Carolina looks seriously at any offers.

BroncoStud
01-04-2011, 01:54 AM
See but this is where it gets interesting. Couldnt you argue that Tebow wouldve performed just as well if not better? Im starting to think this is more of a Andrew Luck "looks" more like a quarterback thing.

i kept asking myself that, it's hard to say. There were a few passes he threw that were just so smooth tonight. I think Tim has been great but I have to admit, Luck certainly looked the part of an elite NFL QB tonight. His passes are deadly accurate.

TimBuff10
01-04-2011, 01:55 AM
We shouldnt even be talking about it now.

When will people understand that Luck is a lock to go #1 to Carolina. There is not going to be any trades and I dont think Carolina looks seriously at any offers.

What if Elway brings Harbaugh back to Denver in a few days...

What if Luck decides to enter the draft...

What if said Stanford QB announces that he will not sign with the Panthers and prefers the Broncos where his old coach currently is...

Could easily happen... Seriously, it did before in 1983 with another Stanford QB.

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 01:58 AM
What if Elway brings Harbaugh back to Denver in a few days...

What if Luck decides to enter the draft...

What if said Stanford QB announces that he will not sign with the Panthers and prefers the Broncos where his old coach currently is...

Could easily happen... Seriously, it did before in 1983 with another Stanford QB.

Thats not going to happen with Luck. I can guarentee you hes not the type of person to demand a trade. He will be a Carolina Panther because the Panthers arent dumb enough to pass on him or trade the #1 pick to a team that wants him.

This is a prospect that can change your franchise for the next decade... No way you take the chance on trading him because you invested a 2nd round pick on a project QB the year before. Luck is a franchise signal caller.

bigtimebronco
01-04-2011, 02:03 AM
i kept asking myself that, it's hard to say. There were a few passes he threw that were just so smooth tonight. I think Tim has been great but I have to admit, Luck certainly looked the part of an elite NFL QB tonight. His passes are deadly accurate.

Thats very true, but when you're throwing to wide open recievers then its hard to gauge. When I see these wide open recievers running all over the place, it just appears to me that Stanford just outcoached and outschemed VT, and it would be interesting to see how luck would have performed under a different coaching staff.

TimBuff10
01-04-2011, 02:26 AM
Thats not going to happen with Luck. I can guarentee you hes not the type of person to demand a trade. He will be a Carolina Panther because the Panthers arent dumb enough to pass on him or trade the #1 pick to a team that wants him.

This is a prospect that can change your franchise for the next decade... No way you take the chance on trading him because you invested a 2nd round pick on a project QB the year before. Luck is a franchise signal caller.

Why won't it happen? He can dictate everything if he wants. Stay with his familar HC, go to a traditional winner and one of the most respected franchises. Elway would be his boss... No other situation could come close to being as friendly as the Broncos. All the kid has to do is pull an Elway or a Manning and there is nothing the Panthers could do about it.

Lancane
01-04-2011, 02:28 AM

I'm not disagreeing with you EMB, but I think sometimes you forget that it does happen and your too quick to dismiss the possibilities. After all it wasn't believed that John Elway would do it, even though some thought he might because he stressed he didn't want to play for Baltimore and Eli Manning did much the same with San Diego and ended up being traded. So you're absolutely sure that it wouldn't happen again, even though history repeats itself? Or is it more that you just don't want to see us take anything other then a defensive player in the first round of the draft?

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 02:29 AM
Why won't it happen? He can dictate everything if he wants. Stay with his familar HC, go to a traditional winner and one of the most respected franchises. Elway would be his boss... No other situation could come close to being as friendly as the Broncos. All the kid has to do is pull an Elway or a Manning and there is nothing the Panthers could do about it.

I dont think Luck is an uptight douche to pull something off like that.

Just my opinion.

Lancane
01-04-2011, 02:32 AM
I dont think Luck is an uptight douche to pull something like that.

Just my opinion.

So now Elway is an uptight douche? Be very careful EMB...getting close to heresy right now. Eli Manning isn't a bad kid either, he was just particular as was Elway. He probably will go to Carolina and not say a damn thing...then again, Denver has the number two pick, and what if he told Carolina before the draft that if you take me, I won't sign a contract and force you to trade me? They can not force him to sign a contract. They could draft him and then open up for trading him, but chances are that we would be first contacted with that second pick dangling there.

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 02:32 AM
I'm not disagreeing with you EMB, but I think sometimes you forget that it does happen and your too quick to dismiss the possibilities. After all it wasn't believed that John Elway would do it, even though some thought he might because he stressed he didn't want to play for Baltimore and Eli Manning did much the same with San Diego and ended up being traded. So you're absolutely sure that it wouldn't happen again, even though history repeats itself? Or is it more that you just don't want to see us take anything other then a defensive player in the first round of the draft?

I might sound ignorant when I guarentee something like that but I truly believe no other team other then Carolina has a shot at Andrew Luck. You just dont pass up on having a prospect like that.. esspecially at the Quarterback position.

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 02:35 AM
So now Elway is an uptight douche? Be very careful EMB...getting close to heresy right now. Eli Manning isn't a bad kid either, he was just particular as was Elway. He probably will go to Carolina and not say a damn thing...then again, Denver has the number two pick, and what if he told Carolina before the draft that if you take me, I won't sign a contract and force you to trade me? They can not force him to sign a contract.

Oh absolutely.

Elway is a legend in Denver and my favorite bronco of alltime. but Im not about to say he didnt act like a douche when demanding a trade, same with Eli Manning.

Thats just not how you should do things.

Again just my opinion I apoligize to anybody who gets offended over that. I know some people on here dont like reading honest opinions.

Lancane
01-04-2011, 02:38 AM
I might sound ignorant when I guarentee something like that but I truly believe no other team other then Carolina has a shot at Andrew Luck. You just dont pass up on having a prospect like that.. esspecially at the Quarterback position.

And I agree, they will probably draft him...but I would not be surprised if he told them that he doesn't want to play for them and he wouldn't sign with them if they did draft him only because it's happened before. And don't you think Denver with that second overall pick might might be a tempting trading partner? Or what if they said screw it and took Peterson instead cause they didn't want the headache and he was sitting there with the second pick.

Lancane
01-04-2011, 02:41 AM
Oh absolutely.

Elway is a legend in Denver and my favorite bronco of alltime. but Im not about to say he didnt act like a douche when demanding a trade, same with Eli Manning.

Thats just not how you should do things.

Again just my opinion I apoligize to anybody who gets offended over that. I know some people on here dont like reading honest opinions.

Why? I guess I would have been a douche as well, because when I was in college I thought about the draft, all kids in college do and I swore that if Seattle or Oakland ever tried to draft me I would tell them to F' off and to trade me. I had a teammate that felt the same way about Miami...sometimes you just don't want to play for a particular team.

TimBuff10
01-04-2011, 02:42 AM

Do you not understand what is being said? They won't pick a guy that says he will not sign with them. Apparently this isn't just something being talked about on the internet either. These are all discussions that Elway is having. You think he isn't bringing it up? Elway invented this whole idea.

Lancane
01-04-2011, 02:49 AM
Do you not understand what is being said? They won't pick a guy that says he will not sign with them. Apparently this isn't just something being talked about on the internet either. These are all discussions that Elway is having. You think he isn't bringing it up? Elway invented this whole idea.

I highly doubt that Elway would lower himself into telling a collegiate quarterback to pull the same stunt he did...now come on. I agree that it could happen, I doubt that it will and now the conversation is getting a little to close to an NFL conspiracy theory.

EMB makes a great point, when you have a kid like that you take him and I think Carolina will, not unless they want to trade for someone before the draft. All I said is that he could tell them he wouldn't play for them or sign with them ala Elway or Manning.

TimBuff10
01-04-2011, 02:54 AM
I highly doubt that Elway would lower himself into telling a collegiate quarterback to pull the same stunt he did...now come on. I agree that it could happen, I doubt that it will and now the conversation is getting a little to close to an NFL conspiracy theory.

EMB makes a great point, when you have a kid like that you take him and I think Carolina will, not unless they want to trade for someone before the draft. All I said is that he could tell them he wouldn't play for them or sign with them ala Elway or Manning.

You do realize this is professional football right? For money.

Why would the kid want to go to Carolina all alone when he could be in the best possible situation in Denver with a heck of a support structure? All he has to do is say the word. I don't see anything wrong with pulling an Elway. It is no different than being a Free Agent and choosing where you want to go.

bcbronc
01-04-2011, 02:56 AM

anyone think it's a coincidence they're waiting until after the Orange Bowl to officially put Elway on the payroll?

Get Luck, keep Tebow, bring in Malarkey! ;)

zbeg
01-04-2011, 03:16 AM
You do realize this is professional football right? For money.

Why would the kid want to go to Carolina all alone when he could be in the best possible situation in Denver with a heck of a support structure? All he has to do is say the word. I don't see anything wrong with pulling an Elway. It is no different than being a Free Agent and choosing where you want to go.

It's never happened before. Even in the case of Elway and Manning, they simply said "I will not play for the team that drafted me," not "I will not play for any other team than X." And yes, it is about money. The Panthers don't want to get rid of a guy who will be the face of their franchise and who will sell a lot of tickets.

And what leverage will Luck have? Once he declares for the draft, he can't go back to Stanford. He doesn't have baseball. "So trade me...or else, I'll...you know! Do something!" Do what, exactly? Sit out the year? Yeah, that makes good financial sense.

It's not going to happen. The Broncos have no chance of getting Luck. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Speculating "well, if he does all these things that nobody has ever really done and then some other things happen and then we all get a foot massage from a magical unicorn...should the Broncos take Andrew Luck?"

TimBuff10
01-04-2011, 03:40 AM
Is there really a difference? Seriously, you are just looking to try and argue at this point.

End of the day if Harbaugh is in Denver and Luck wants to be here, Carolina wont sign him. They can't make him sign a deal. Their best bet is to work a sign and trade and get what they can from Denver. It is all up to Elway/Harbaugh/Luck.

zbeg
01-04-2011, 03:50 AM
Is there really a difference? Seriously, you are just looking to try and argue at this point.

End of the day if Harbaugh is in Denver and Luck wants to be here, Carolina wont sign him. They can't make him sign a deal. Their best bet is to work a sign and trade and get what they can from Denver. It is all up to Elway/Harbaugh/Luck.

There is a big difference, yes. Demanding a trade to a specific team kills any and all leverage a player might have. If your argument was financial-based, I was pointing out why this is a poor financial deal for both Luck and Carolina.

There's almost as much a chance of this happening as me being the surprise #1 overall pick of the draft instead.