PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to emerge as a defensive leader??

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Being a Bronco's fan for over 20 years now and watching them religiously, I have observed the fact that we have always had a dominant defensive leader to lead the troops on defense.

Whether it was Meck, Romo, or Al Wilson, we have always had that one guy to lead. Sure Lynch could be the obvious choice this season, but I believe we need that strong leader from someone in the front 7. It always starts in the front 7. We need someone to emerge and be that guy. Many thought DJ would be him. SOme think it needs to be Webster. Is Gold strong enough vocally to lead?

I don't know.

I feel it needs to fall on the MLB. Look at other dominant defenses and most of them start and end with the MLB. ( Urlacker (sp), Ray Lewis)

If its not already obvious, we will miss Big Al in the middle.

Who is going to WATCHTHEMIDDLE for the defense????

Lonestar
08-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Lynch will evolve into it this year, was a surrogate last year with Al being the head man. Champ is already there and given time DJ will be the man. IMHO

Skinny
08-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Lynch will evolve into it this year, was a surrogate last year with Al being the head man. Champ is already there and given time DJ will be the man. IMHOYeah i agree with this. In time DJ will find his nitch as a leader on defense.

With guys like Lynch, Bailey and even some newer faces like Adams and Bly, there's going to be alot of vocal cords being heard on the defense.

I imagine Gold being the veteran now among the LBs, he will also step up in that role.

IMO.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-29-2007, 01:20 PM
John Lynch and Champ Bailey outside Al Wilson have been the defensive leaders of this team, so we're really only looking for one guy to step up and fill the gap as someone else. This team already has leaders, and we have a lot of leaders waiting in the wings.

I really think that Crowder will be a leader for years to come with this team. He's not a very rah-rah guy (but either is Jay) but he's a guy who leads by example and gets it done on the field.

I'd like to think DJ would step up and assume that role as he's manning the middle this year, but I don't necessarily think we're at a loss of defensive leaders on this team. It'd be nice if some people stood up, but we already have our key guys in place, and with veterans like Gold and Bly, the experience and the respect are already there.

TXBRONC
08-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Being a Bronco's fan for over 20 years now and watching them religiously, I have observed the fact that we have always had a dominant defensive leader to lead the troops on defense.

Whether it was Meck, Romo, or Al Wilson, we have always had that one guy to lead. Sure Lynch could be the obvious choice this season, but I believe we need that strong leader from someone in the front 7. It always starts in the front 7. We need someone to emerge and be that guy. Many thought DJ would be him. SOme think it needs to be Webster. Is Gold strong enough vocally to lead?

I don't know.

I feel it needs to fall on the MLB. Look at other dominant defenses and most of them start and end with the MLB. ( Urlacker (sp), Ray Lewis)

If its not already obvious, we will miss Big Al in the middle.

Who is going to WATCHTHEMIDDLE for the defense????

I read in several places that D.J. has step up in being more of vocal leader this year because Al is gone and that he was moved to the middle.

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2007, 01:32 PM
I read in several places that D.J. has step up in being more of vocal leader this year because Al is gone and that he was moved to the middle.

Thats good. And I am not talking about a RA RA type guy. Just someone who brings it on every play. WHenver there is guys like that on D, it makes those around him want to bring it also and play well for their leader. He tends to make those around him raise their level of play.

I can see Lynch as the obvious stand out for that guy. My main thing was someone in the front 7. I really hope DJ emerges as that guy. I think he has the skill set in place for MLB and the athleticism, so hopefully as time goes on gaining more and more confidence in the scheme and position, his leadership skills will show themselves as well.

TXBRONC
08-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Thats good. And I am not talking about a RA RA type guy. Just someone who brings it on every play. WHenver there is guys like that on D, it makes those around him want to bring it also and play well for their leader. He tends to make those around him raise their level of play.

I can see Lynch as the obvious stand out for that guy. My main thing was someone in the front 7. I really hope DJ emerges as that guy. I think he has the skill set in place for MLB and the athleticism, so hopefully as time goes on gaining more and more confidence in the scheme and position, his leadership skills will show themselves as well.

He has struggled a bit, but I think that has had more to do with adjusting to the new position and struggles of the four in front of him.

By the way in the last preseason game he did come up seven total tackles.

Lonestar
08-29-2007, 01:35 PM

I think that DJ will do it down the road but not until the team respects his ability to cal the game and make the tackles he should be. Right now he has enough on his plate trying to be in the right spot at the right time. He really looks lost out there in the few times I have sen broken plays.

There is no doubt in my mine he can do it, he just has alot to learn in the new scheme of things.

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2007, 01:40 PM
He has struggled a bit, but I think that has had more to do with adjusting to the new position and struggles of the four in front of him.

By the way in the last preseason game he did come up seven total tackles.

Well he is going to need to lead the team in tackles ( or be near the top ) . Al has done it over the years, and if you look at the MLB position in Bates' defenses over the years...( Zach Thomas ) has a ton of tackles. All of the LB's have to step up and make plays in his defense.

Lonestar
08-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Well he is going to need to lead the team in tackles ( or be near the top ) . Al has done it over the years, and if you look at the MLB position in Bates' defenses over the years...( Zach Thomas ) has a ton of tackles. All of the LB's have to step up and make plays in his defense.

That is IF the DL steps up and takes on blockers, if not webe in big dodo this year.

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2007, 01:56 PM
That is IF the DL steps up and takes on blockers, if not webe in big dodo this year.

Your right, DL has to step up as well. Heard an interview with a Miami fan yesterday talking about Bates. One thing people need to remember is Miami has Jason Taylor. He can make any LB look good because he is such a monster coming off the edge. I think Bates will try and use Elvis in the same way. But yeah, the front 4 have to open it up for the LB's.

Lonestar
08-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Your right, DL has to step up as well. Heard an interview with a Miami fan yesterday talking about Bates. One thing people need to remember is Miami has Jason Taylor. He can make any LB look good because he is such a monster coming off the edge. I think Bates will try and use Elvis in the same way. But yeah, the front 4 have to open it up for the LB's.

Actually I think it is the front TWO, DT have to eat blockers if they do not the DE's are covered by OT and the guards nuke our LB's.

TXBRONC
08-29-2007, 02:10 PM

I don't know needs to lead the team in tackles but he certainly will have to lead by example.

Jagsbch
08-06-2010, 06:31 AM
Bump

Broncos find themselves looking for a defensive leader to emerge now that Elvis has left the building for approximately 4 months.

Who do you suppose will step up to that prestiges role this season for the Broncos?

Darrell Reid
Jarvis Moss
Champ Bailey
Jarvis Green
Jamal Williams

Dirk
08-06-2010, 06:57 AM
That's one hell of a bump.

Dawkins.....nuff said.

Jagsbch
08-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Bump

Broncos find themselves looking for a defensive leader to emerge now that Elvis has left the building for approximately 4 months.

Who do you suppose will step up to that prestiges role this season for the Broncos?

Darrell Reid
Jarvis Moss
Champ Bailey
Jarvis Green
Jamal Williams

That's one hell of a bump.

Dawkins.....nuff said.

If you liked that you will love this one...

On a positive note: Dawkins

Is anyone, besides me, really excited this guy was signed today? He will be the cornerstone for bringing swagger back to our D. The leadership he brings to the table is second to none. And right now, that's the very thing we need. This team is lacking leadership in a big way and I couldn't be happier with this signing. We couldn't have signed a better player for this team.

Go Broncos! (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34049):salute: