PDA

View Full Version : How many qbs can make that throw?

ogplife
01-03-2011, 07:36 PM
I don't have the link (maybe somebody can help me out and post it), but if you are a Broncos fan, you should remember the play. Tebow's first "real" td pass, to Lloyd, against the Raiders (as a starter, not the wildcat td). 40 yards (to the back of the end zone, so really 50 yards). Supposedly there are these questions about his accuracy. How many Qbs can throw the ball 50 yards down the field to an exact spot in the corner of the end zone, against double coverage, outdoors. I can only think of four.

1) Ryan
2) Brees
3) Manning
4) Rivers

tomjonesrocks
01-03-2011, 07:50 PM
His accuracy was terrible--and I mean -TERRIBLE- a good bit of yesterday.

I like Tebow but am concerned after that.

camdisco24
01-03-2011, 07:53 PM
His accuracy was terrible--and I mean -TERRIBLE- a good bit of yesterday.

I like Tebow but am concerned after that.

It was his 3rd game, so its understandable. I'll be concerned when its a recurring issue next season after he learns the new playbook.

spikerman
01-03-2011, 07:54 PM
I don't have the link (maybe somebody can help me out and post it), but if you are a Broncos fan, you should remember the play. Tebow's first "real" td pass, to Lloyd, against the Raiders (as a starter, not the wildcat td). 40 yards (to the back of the end zone, so really 50 yards). Supposedly there are these questions about his accuracy. How many Qbs can throw the ball 50 yards down the field to an exact spot in the corner of the end zone, against double coverage, outdoors. I can only think of four.

1) Ryan
2) Brees
3) Manning
4) Rivers

It was a nice throw, but I would guess most NFL-caliber QBs could make it. It was right where it had to be though, and a little bit of luck (the db not picking it off) really helped.

It was a throw I would expect from a pro, but probably not from somebody who didn't have what it takes to be one so imo that bodes well for him.

tomjonesrocks
01-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Are you for real?

You don't think Brady can make that throw? Or Aaron Rodgers? Or Cutler?

Watch the Redskins/Eagles game this season--Vick made some just insane throws in that.

Schaub also has no trouble there.

Nice throw but Tebow hasn't shown enough consistency for it to mean much--yet.

ogplife
01-03-2011, 08:01 PM
It was a nice throw, but I would guess most NFL-caliber QBs could make it. It was right where it had to be though, and a little bit of luck (the db not picking it off) really helped.

It was a throw I would expect from a pro, but probably not from somebody who didn't have what it takes to be one so imo that bodes well for him.

I don't feel you are giving that thrown enough respect. Brady is the best QB I have ever seen, but I have never seen him make that throw (still great, but throwing to the sidelines and past 30 yards are his weaknesses).

Juriga72
01-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Pretty much EVERY NFl qb can make that throw...
Good throw...yes Great throw...meh

spikerman
01-03-2011, 08:02 PM
I don't feel you are giving that thrown enough respect. Brady is the best QB I have ever seen, but I have never seen him make that throw (still great, but throwing to the sidelines and past 30 yards are his weaknesses).

PLEASE tell me you're joking.

ogplife
01-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Are you for real?

Rogers Yes

Cutler No

Brady No

By the way the question was how many qbs in the league do you think could make that throw. Do you think Rex Grossman can make that throw? Its a question.

Juriga72
01-03-2011, 08:05 PM

Funny how Brady threw that perfect pass against the Bears of about 40 yards downfield and to the sideline in a snow storm......

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010121200/2010/REG14/patriots@bears/watch/contentid:09000d5d81cd9daf

ogplife
01-03-2011, 08:05 PM
PLEASE tell me you're joking.

No im not, Brady is great (best I ever seen), but if you have watched him long enough, take away the deep passes to Randy Moss and you wont have a highlight film of deep sideline passes from him. He is human, believe it or not. I don't want to make this a Brady thread though. That was not the question.

spikerman
01-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Rogers Yes

Cutler No

Brady No

By the way the question was how many qbs in the league do you think could make that throw. Do you think Rex Grossman can make that throw? Its a question.

Well there are 32 teams, most teams have 3 QBs (some only two), but for simplicity I'll say, "about 96 or so".

randyschwimmer7
01-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Anyone that questions the throw doesn't know what they are talking about. Every time a QB throws a pass and there is a DB in the area, he is lucky it isn't picked off. People seriously need to lay off. Tim Tebow has more intangibles that weigh out the "accuracy issues". He is also a 3 game starter. Elway wasn't perfect in his first few games. Tebow is our future, like it or not.

spikerman
01-03-2011, 08:08 PM
No im not, Brady is great (best I ever seen), but if you have watched him long enough, take away the deep passes to Randy Moss and you wont have a highlight film of deep sideline passes from him. He is human, believe it or not.

No doubt, in fact I've been watching football since 1977 and I will say that Brady is not the best I have ever seen, BUT he could make that throw any day of the week and all day on Sunday.

It was a good throw, in fact, a NFL-caliber throw, but there's a reason all of those QBs are in the NFL, because they can all make throws like that. **

** Ok, the jury may be out on Chad Pennington.

spikerman
01-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Anyone that questions the throw doesn't know what they are talking about. Every time a QB throws a pass and there is a DB in the area, he is lucky it isn't picked off. People seriously need to lay off. Tim Tebow has more intangibles that weigh out the "accuracy issues". He is also a 3 game starter. Elway wasn't perfect in his first few games. Tebow is our future, like it or not.

Complimenting other quarterbacks does not equal disparaging Tebow. Not all passes are "lucky" not to be picked off, but the ones that go right through the db's hands are.

spikerman
01-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Funny how Brady threw that perfect pass against the Bears of about 40 yards downfield and to the sideline in a snow storm......

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010121200/2010/REG14/patriots@bears/watch/contentid:09000d5d81cd9daf

I think it was uphill too! :D

ogplife
01-03-2011, 08:15 PM

Reviewed the entire highlight. Are you talking about the busted coverage pass to a WIDE open Deion Branch streaking down the sideline. Are you comparing that pass with Tebow's?

ogplife
01-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Apparently that pass was not too difficult according to many. Fair enough. If anybody has links to see similar passes, I would love to watch them. Im not being sarcastic. I would like to see the highlights and what caliber of qbs are making those throws.

spikerman
01-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Apparently that pass was not too difficult according to many. Fair enough. If anybody has links to see similar passes, I would love to watch them. Im not being sarcastic. I would like to see the highlights and what caliber of qbs are making those throws.

I haven't seen ANYBODY claim the pass wasn't difficult. It was an NFL-caliber pass. We're saying that all NFL QBs could make that throw. He threw it to a spot..... accurately. If you can't do that you won't be an NFL QB for long.

ogplife
01-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Are you for real?

Watch the Redskins/Eagles game this season--Vick made some just insane throws in that.

Schaub also has no trouble there.

Vick is great up the seams (great zip and accuracy), anywhere 15 to 50 yards up the field. Please show me some deep sideline throws from him (don't even have to be against double coverage, which this pass was). I have no problem apologizing if Im wrong, but I have watched enough football to think I won't have to.

Lancane
01-03-2011, 08:31 PM

You do know that Brian Griese had a 68 yard touchdown pass which was I believe 62 yards to the receiver, and Cutler threw a 99 yard touchdown pass to Eddie Royal that was near 70 yards through the air didn't you? I don't remember how long that one was to Walker for Cutler but it was 60 plus, he threw a 60 some yard touchdown pass to Hester this year. Ryan has hit the 60 yard mark a few times this year as has Rodgers, I know Brady hit a 59 yard pass a couple weeks ago. Vick has had some nice passes this year as well, so has Schaub.

Cutler is probably the best in the league next to Manning throwing it across the field, and I saw Tebow throw one three weeks ago against Oakland, that was a hell of a pass. I think people are surprised by his arm strength in all truthfulness.

Juriga72
01-03-2011, 08:31 PM

EVERY NFl qb makes throws that make you shake your head. They have to......otherwise they become a Ex-NFL qb very quickly.

Matt Ryan from Atlanta threw a pass to White sunday that was about 5 feet out of bounds from over 40 yards away.... White had just his toes inbounds to catch it.......THAT is a NFL throw.

Hell.... Even Grossman can make throws like Tebow's and Ryan's.... Of course its mostly to the other teams Db's...

spikerman
01-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Vick is great up the seams (great zip and accuracy), anywhere 15 to 50 yards up the field. Please show me some deep sideline throws from him (don't even have to be against double coverage, which this pass was). I have no problem apologizing if Im wrong, but I have watched enough football to think I won't have to.

Here are some NFL passes by proven greats, including the best thrower I have probably ever seen (Dan Marino). WARNING I did not listen to the audio.

tUFQy17r-o8

bcbronc
01-03-2011, 08:39 PM
I disagree that most NFL QBs make that throw...most NFL QBs don't throw into double coverage like that. Really wasn't a good decision at all, despite the bungling on the part of the Raider's defense.

honest question to the OP...if that play happens 10 times, how many times does the DB completely miss the ball like that? Did the DB miss the ball because something Tebow did?

Juriga72
01-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Even tho I doe really hate him.... Farve last year threw that 50 some yard bomb to win the game against San Fran on the last play of the game......

AND he did it sexting Jen........

do THAT Tebow

ogplife
01-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Here are some NFL passes by proven greats, including the best thrower I have probably ever seen (Dan Marino). WARNING I did not listen to the audio.

tUFQy17r-o8

I honestly dont feel any of those passes were as difficult as Tebow's, but I will admit a couple of Marino's passes showed his rediculous arm strength.

spikerman
01-03-2011, 08:45 PM
I honestly dont feel any of those passes were as difficult as Tebow's, but I will admit a couple of Marino's passes showed his rediculous arm strength.

Can I ask you an honest question? I'm really not trying to be a smart alec. Were you an NFL fan before Tebow was drafted?

ogplife
01-03-2011, 08:49 PM
I disagree that most NFL QBs make that throw...most NFL QBs don't throw into double coverage like that. Really wasn't a good decision at all, despite the bungling on the part of the Raider's defense.

honest question to the OP...if that play happens 10 times, how many times does the DB completely miss the ball like that? Did the DB miss the ball because something Tebow did?

I don't think most dbs will pick that ball, which is why it was misplayed. Ed Reed yes, but average DB no. Yes the pass could have been broken up though, if he wasn't going for the pick.

ogplife
01-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Can I ask you an honest question? I'm really not trying to be a smart alec. Were you an NFL fan before Tebow was drafted?

Don't insult me and make me out to be a Tebow Homer. I made several posts and started several threads unrelated to Tebow before today. I am a Broncos fan and he is our QB, hopefully for the next ten years. If he were traded tomorrow, I would be disappointed because he has grown on me (I hated the pick initially), but I would move on. I felt this same way about Cutler after his first few starts. I have been a broncos fan since I was a kid. You have the wrong person.

spikerman
01-03-2011, 08:53 PM
I don't think most dbs will pick that ball, which is why it was misplayed. Ed Reed yes, but average DB no. Yes the pass could have been broken up though, if he wasn't going for the pick.

I just rewatched the highlight. That ball went right through the db's hands.

I Eat Staples
01-03-2011, 08:54 PM
The best thing about that throw was that he put it where only Lloyd had a chance of getting it, IIRC. Lloyd went up and did all the work. Almost every NFL QB can make that throw.

ogplife
01-03-2011, 08:55 PM
I just rewatched the highlight. That ball went right through the db's hands.

Do me a favor and post the link for others, because Im not good at that stuff. That would have been a back shoulder catch, straight through his hands is a stretch imo.

spikerman
01-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Don't insult me and make me out to be a Tebow Homer. I made several posts and started several threads unrelated to Tebow before today. I am a Broncos fan and he is our QB, hopefully for the next ten years. If he were traded tomorrow, I would be disappointed because he has grown on me (I hated the pick initially), but I would move on. I felt this same way about Cutler after his first few starts. I have been a broncos fan since I was a kid. You have the wrong person.

Relax there partner, I meant no offense. The thing that actually made me wonder was your join date. Not that it matters at all, but it happened soon after the draft. Next came your comment that none of those throws were as tough as Tebow's, that struck me as odd. I was putting 2 and 2 together and obviously getting 5. My mistake and I apologize if I offended you.

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Rogers Yes

Cutler No

Brady No

Sorry but Cutler can and for that matter has made a throw like that many times.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

spikerman
01-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Do me a favor and post the link for others, because Im not good at that stuff. That would have been a back shoulder catch, straight through his hands is a stretch imo.

Sure, here you go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kccocbBGy-A

I don't want to embed another video. Look at the :42 or :43 mark. It's a great pass, but the db just whiffed. Again, I did not listen to the audio so listen at your own risk.

ogplife
01-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Relax there partner, I meant no offense. The thing that actually made me wonder was your join date. Not that it matters at all, but it happened soon after the draft. Next came your comment that none of those throws were as tough as Tebow's, that struck me as odd. I was putting 2 and 2 together and obviously getting 5. My mistake and I apologize if I offended you.

Just do a search, I think my first post was about Alphonso Smith possibly being cut or traded during TC, which I got hammered for, then it ended up happening. Anyway no harm taken. I guess the question has been answered by most. Apparently most Qbs can make that throw. I won't argue anymore. Would have been nice to see some proof though. My guess is only the upper echelon guys are making that type of throw in the game, not the combine or practice.

topscribe
01-03-2011, 09:00 PM

1) Ryan
2) Brees
3) Manning
4) Rivers

Check out :40 and 1:20-1:40 in this flick:

zNm14n5Da1k

-----

ogplife
01-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Sure, here you go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kccocbBGy-A

I don't want to embed another video. Look at the :42 or :43 mark. It's a great pass, but the db just whiffed. Again, I did not listen to the audio so listen at your own risk.

Couldn't you find something with just the pass. Who wanted to see a highlight of that entire game............... Just kidding. Thanks.

claymore
01-03-2011, 09:03 PM

zNm14n5Da1k

-----

Sweet Geebus. :rolleyes:

spikerman
01-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Couldn't you find something with just the pass. Who wanted to see a highlight of that entire game............... Just kidding. Thanks.

Hey, I could have been a jerk and embedded video from the FIRST Broncos vs. Raiders game and tried to get you to watch that again looking for the pass. :D

topscribe
01-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Sweet Geebus. :rolleyes:

Did you see it?

-----

ogplife
01-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Hey, I could have been a jerk and embedded video from the FIRST Broncos vs. Raiders game and tried to get you to watch that again looking for the pass. :D

True

ogplife
01-03-2011, 09:18 PM

zNm14n5Da1k

-----

The throw at 1:50 was very nice. Most of the others were ok or just a good job giving the receiver a chance to make a play. I know your an Orton fan, but your gonna have a tough time selling Orton to me. I tried to buy in with him, but he just can't cut it.

topscribe
01-03-2011, 09:19 PM
The throw at 1:50 was very nice. Most of the others were ok or a good job of just a good job giving the receiver a chance to make a play. I know your an Orton fan, but your gonna have a tough time selling Orton to me. I tried to buy in with him, but he just can't cut it.

I'm not trying to sell Orton to you. I could care less what you think of him.

You wanted to know how many QBs could make a throw like that. Well, here
are a couple examples. I'm not debating anything. You asked a question; I
answered it. That should be the end of it . . .

-----

bcbronc
01-03-2011, 09:44 PM

here's just the pass, and some different angles. especially watch the second replay. not a great throw at all (think if number 21 was playing, it would have been complete?). but, as they say, there's no description in the box scores.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4USMhDdaVE

horsepig
01-03-2011, 09:52 PM
I would have to agree that most NFL qbs can make that throw, but would it work and score a TD? Not very often. TT, as Haggan said, seems to be one of those people that things just happen around. Should the db have made the play? Yeah, but he didn't. Get used to it, IMO, we're gonna see a lot of plays like that over the next few years.

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 10:16 PM
I would have to agree that most NFL qbs can make that throw, but would it work and score a TD? Not very often. TT, as Haggan said, seems to be one of those people that things just happen around. Should the db have made the play? Yeah, but he didn't. Get used to it, IMO, we're gonna see a lot of plays like that over the next few years.

I hope you're right. I like Tebow but we have a ways to go before we'll know for sure if he's going to be as good as we hope he will be.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Sinthor
01-04-2011, 01:27 AM
It was his 3rd game, so its understandable. I'll be concerned when its a recurring issue next season after he learns the new playbook.

I agree. Rookies have "rookie games" and this was definitely one of those. That being said, he finished VERY strong and almost pulled off another massive come from behind win. I think you have to give points for that. If he'd won, I'm sure it would have erased his early struggles. As it was, I still think it mostly did that. At least would break him even, IMO.

EMB6903
01-04-2011, 01:53 AM
Not sure many people remember this play but that 2nd and 10 throw against the Texans Tebow made in the 4th quarter to Lloyd off his back foot was IMO his best throw so far as a pro.