PDA

View Full Version : Great read from SI on the Broncos

Day1BroncoFan
09-10-2008, 02:43 PM
The article. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jim_trotter/09/09/5things.broncos.raiders/index.html?eref=si_topstories)

Sorry if it has been posted already.

1. Denver rookie wide receiver Eddie Royal is the real deal. He does everything -- catch, run, return, pass. On the Broncos' opening series, he lined up at receiver and running back and touched the ball on four of their 10 plays, including a 26-yard touchdown reception. He accounted for 51 of the team's 76 yards on the drive -- nine on two rushes and 42 on two receptions.

3. Broncos QB Jay Cutler clearly has established himself as the best of the 2006 quarterback class, in which Vince Young and Matt Leinart were selected ahead of him. After leading Denver to five scores (four touchdowns) on his 10 series in the preseason, he directed the offense to four touchdowns and two field goals on his first eight series Monday night. The tone was set on Cutler's opening possession, when he threw only one bad pass, missing an open Royal along sideline. However, he came back a play later and hit Royal for the touchdown. Cutler had another touchdown waived off by penalty and another dropped in the back of the end zone by tight end Tony Scheffler later on in the first half. Poised and comfortable, he finished 16 of 24 for 299 yards with two touchdowns and zero interceptions.

JONtheBRONCO
09-10-2008, 02:55 PM
I love the Broncos...

shank
09-10-2008, 03:02 PM
cutler established himself as the best of 06 early in 07... it didn't take till monday to know that...

Day1BroncoFan
09-10-2008, 03:08 PM
cutler established himself as the best of 06 early in 07... it didn't take till monday to know that...

Monday removed all doubt from all the doubters. :salute:

scott.475
09-10-2008, 05:59 PM
I keep reading about Royals ability against bump and run coverage, and while I know that is from the defensive side, what is it, exactly, that a receiver does to beat it? Forgive my ignorance, but I am trying to understand the game more academically. Do they actually jam the DB at the line to through their timing off, or something like that?

SoCalImport
09-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Do they actually jam the DB at the line to through their timing off, or something like that?
That's exactly what they do, except they can keep doing it till the reciever gets five yards downfield.
That's been the rule since I don't know when but it's only the last few years the refs have been enforcing it strictly. IMHO that's made having a player like Champ that much more valuable.

MileHighWrath
09-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Had the cardinals drafted Cutler at #10 do you think for a second that Shannahan would have moved up to grab Leinart?

Dean
09-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Had the cardinals drafted Cutler at #10 do you think for a second that Shannahan would have moved up to grab Leinart?

I am not sure that Shanahan would have taken Leinhart but there is one thing that I am sure of. Matt would be a much better QB at this point in his career than he is now.

WARHORSE
09-10-2008, 08:50 PM
To be honest, Im wondering how the Chargers are going to stop our offense.

You cant single either Brandon or Eddie. Even an elite CB like Champ will eventually get burned.......and they aint got a Champ. Cromartie is good, but he too will be burnt like a heroin addicts toast. He may hold up for a couple plays, but the play that he doesnt........bye bye. That means they have some real issues in defending this offense. You have to keep two safeties back over the top of both Eddie and Brandon, which means you have to stop the run with the front seven AND defense the TEs and the slot, depending on the sets.
Not to mention our young line is growing every day like a farmboy on a cows tit......when was the last time you saw Denver run the ball from the three yard line, and the first guy to hit our RB is in the endzone? This line is gonna be special.

I wouldnt want to be Norv after this weekend.

The Dolts fans will try to say they have the same thing going on their offense..............no offense but...............Phillip Rivers resembles a fat kid with no legs below the knees back there passing. We can hit him.

Youre not gonna be hitting the mobile Cutler.

NameUsedBefore
09-10-2008, 09:18 PM
That's exactly what they do, except they can keep doing it till the reciever gets five yards downfield.
That's been the rule since I don't know when but it's only the last few years the refs have been enforcing it strictly. IMHO that's made having a player like Champ that much more valuable.

I think that rule was put in in 1977; the problem, of course, were the Steelers' secondary which was just mugging receivers up and down the field.

Hobe
09-10-2008, 09:30 PM
To be honest, I'm wondering how the Chargers are going to stop our offense.

There really is only one thing they can do, go after Cutler. They aren't going to cover our receiving core. I hope they try, but I don't think even Turner is that dumb. If they can't put pressure on Jay, he will cut them to screeds. NY pressured Brady in the last Super Bowl and it won them the game. They will throw everything, stunt, blitz, formation, at us. This will be the first big test for the o-line.

Go Broncos!

Lonestar
09-10-2008, 09:31 PM
I think that rule was put in in 1977; the problem, of course, were the Steelers' secondary which was just mugging receivers up and down the field.

and because they did the same thing in a playoff game in 2003 the ROE came in to effect..

lex
09-10-2008, 09:35 PM

I doubt it considering that, as the story goes, in Tennessee Chow wanted Leinart, Fisher wanted Cutler, and Adams wanted Young. Since Adams is the owner, it was young. But considering that Shanahan relied on input from Fisher regarding Cutler and that Fisher liked Cutler most, its questionable whether Fisher would have spoken so glowingly over Leinart.

scott.475
09-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Phillip Rivers resembles a fat kid with no legs below the knees back there passing. We can hit him.

Youre not gonna be hitting the mobile Cutler.

I hope so, but I have to say that in the Carolina game, defenders got their hands on Rivers several times and he was able to scramble away from them...I was getting frustrated with them getting so close and missing even when they had hands on, I hope we do better.