PDA

View Full Version : Preview: San Diego Chargers @ Denver Broncos

Retired_Member_001
09-10-2008, 11:50 AM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r258/nevadaffl/chargers_514x96.jpg?t=1178396876

@

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r258/nevadaffl/broncos_514x96.jpg?t=1178396902

Time: 2:15 (MDT) Sunday 14th September, 2008

Weather forecast, Sunny and Nice, 73 F

After an impressive first game from our Denver Broncos, confidence is high in Broncos Country. However, the Broncos must now face the team that has been a mental block in the last two seasons. For our Broncos, winning against the Chargers would almost definitely prove we are a better team from the last two years. I could write a whole article on the differences between the current Bronco team, and the one in the last two years, but I think all the differences will show in Sunday’s game.

I think the key to this game, is obviously stopping LaDainian Tomlinson. The reason we’ve struggled so much against the Chargers is because of their running game. He abuses us each time he plays against us, on the ground and in the air. In fact, in week 5 of last season, it was not LT but Michael Turner who ran all over our defense. Obviously, our defensive tackles will need to do a good job of occupying the offensive line, so a linebacker can shoot through and make the tackle. It is also needed for our defensive ends to step up, our DE’s never do anything special against the run, it would be a good idea to play our run stuffing DE’s instead of our pass rushing DE’s. Typically, the Chargers offensive game plan against us is:

Run at them for the whole of the first half until their defense has worn out.
Have Rivers then tear them apart with simple passes.
Gloat like bitches afterwards.

It’s an extremely simple and predictable game plan. Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to do anything about it. Shanahan insists on having everyone but Champ and Dre’ play the run, and what usually ends up happening on a play action pass, is a FB or a second TE finding space because everyone else is playing the run. Needless to say, Rivers passes to this FB/TE and ends up beating us for BIG YARDS. Have you considered how different things would be if we could do a half decent job on the ground? Rivers for one, would have to throw the football, and that my fellow Bronco fans, is not a good thing if you are a Chargers fan. Rivers is a product of a good team, the team is not a product of a good Quarterback, basically, Rivers is an average Quarterback and is enjoying success because he is on a good team. Our pass defense doesn‘t mean anything if we can‘t stop the run. There’s also the threat of Antonio Gates which no one should forget about. Unless our defensive line do a better job than in previous years, the final score will be no different than from previous years.

Now, on the offensive side of things, we’ve also had troubles in the past. Fortunately, I am 100% confident most of these problems have been resolved. The Chargers have been pretty effective in recent years, at getting to our Quarterback. Our offensive line however, is much better than the past few years. We may not necessarily have great players, but they work extremely well together. Obviously, we will still have to watch for the edge rushers. The Chargers love bringing extra OLB’s/DB’s against us in a pass rush blitz. Cutler will be seeing blitzes from all angles. You have to consider this though, wherever there’s a blitz, there’s a new passing opportunity. Cutler has an extremely high Football IQ and he should be able to pick up where the best pass is. Plus, there is no way their secondary can cope with our receivers, they should just forget about trying to contain Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal. Of course, as the Broncos, we always have one major weak spot that ends up losing us the game, and I fear in this game, it will be our running game (as well as run defense). Selvin Young is looking more and more like this years Mike Bell, Selvin is a utility player who can do a variety of things, but as a running back, there are doubts over him. Pittman is as slow as George Foster, which leaves Andre Hall to do the lot. We are lucky, because our ZBS allows us to pick and plug anyone, but there are still doubts over our running backs. Luckily, the Chargers defense looked dreadful against the Panthers, so maybe it will carry on being dreadful for us.

One small thing to pick on, Special Teams. It will be hard enough to stop the Chargers as it is, why give them an advantage? It will be extremely important to cover well on Special Teams. Sproles is a good KR/PR, he can take it the distance if we give him half a chance. I’ll also be interested in how Brett Kern does. He looks like a horrible Punter in my opinion. I know it seems stupid to bitch about something as simple as your starting Punter, but in a key game like this, field position can win/lose the game.

Keys to the game for the Chargers:

Try and get to Cutler or else he will throw all over the defense.
Establish the run game and continue to wear the opposition out with it.
Remember that Shanahan has opened up the playbook and is not afraid to try out daring plays.

Keys to the game for the Broncos:

STOP THE RUN! If the Broncos don't do this, then there's no chance of winning bar a complete meltdown from the Chargers.
Pass to free up the run, not the other way round. The Broncos passing game is elite.
Cover well on Special Teams. No use in giving the other team an advantage.

Injuries:

San Diego Chargers:

Ladainian Tomlinson supposedly has a jammed toe, he will play Sunday, and I strongly suspect that this will be used as an excuse if the Chargers lose.

Merriman is out.

Antonio Gates is probable for the game, meaning, he will play.

Denver Broncos:

Ryan Torain has a broken elbow.

Louis Green is out with a Hamstring problem.

All in all, both teams have a mostly healthy team. This will set up what surely will be a great game for the neutrals. Still, there can only be one winner, and the tension between the Broncos and the Chargers has heated up so much, you could cook Sirloin Steaks on it. The Broncos will definitely have some hard feelings towards Philip Rivers, a player who grows more annoying with each passing game.

This is the part of the article where I have to predict who will in, and it’s really hard to do so. Yeah, our Broncos were great against the Raiders, but playing against the Raiders is just practice, the Chargers will be the real test. How our team plays today will be their measuring point. It’s all about who plays better defense. My head is telling me the Chargers will win, but my heart is telling me the Broncos will win. It’s too early for negativity though, so I reluctantly predict the Broncos will win in a nerve shattering game. Final score, Denver Broncos 24-23 San Diego Chargers.

Enjoy the game :salute:.

tboltzcali
09-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Good read! I agree with most of this with exception of being a healthy team. Our team for some reason is seriously torn up. We are missing 2 OL and Gates is hurting...again. Defense as you all know Merriman is done. Jamal is hurting. I expect this game to be a good one, but the way we played last week, if we dont wake up, it could be a long day and I could be barhoppin by halftime in LODO.

Retired_Member_001
09-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Good read! I agree with most of this with exception of being a healthy team. Our team for some reason is seriously torn up. We are missing 2 OL and Gates is hurting...again. Defense as you all know Merriman is done. Jamal is hurting. I expect this game to be a good one, but the way we played last week, if we dont wake up, it could be a long day and I could be barhoppin by halftime in LODO.

Thanks, I always appreciate comments.

:beer:

Retired_Member_001
09-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Ladainian Tomlinson is now "Questionable" for the game.

I still think he will play and be 100% healthy, but this could be one to watch.

Skinny
09-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Keys to the game for the Broncos:

STOP THE RUN! If the Broncos don't do this, then there's no chance of winning bar a complete meltdown from the Chargers.
Pass to free up the run, not the other way round. The Broncos passing game is elite.
Cover well on Special Teams. No use in giving the other team an advantage.

Nice article. The only thing that i think diffrently than you on is how we should attack SDs defense.

I think it would be wise for Mikey to take a little study session from the panthers game this previous week. They commited to the ground game early and were quite successful running the ball in the first half with over 100 yards rushing. SD made the adjustment at half, put 8 men in the box to slow down the run, and Delhomme was able to have a very solid game passing against SD secondary.

I think we can be successful in doing the same thing. The main concern is can we, not neccessarily stop SDs offense, but keep them in check and not have them run away with it. Though i like the way the offense is playing right now, i still don't want to get into a scoring match with SD.

I'm not expecting for this defense to stop or shut down anybody's run or pass game, but if they can keep SD out of the endzone and force them settle for a couple of FGs early, i think we'll have a chance to win this ball game imo.

underrated29
09-11-2008, 05:20 PM
I hope LT plays, i dont want to win if we dont play the best.

I think for this game we will see lots of screens. That way we can use their pass rush to our advantage and also we should have the speed to blow past the LBs.

Of course stokely and shceff should have big games. And sooner than later if the run game is chigging then brandon or eddie will be isoe'd, then look out!

Retired_Member_001
09-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Nice article. The only thing that i think diffrently than you on is how we should attack SDs defense.

I think it would be wise for Mikey to take a little study session from the panthers game this previous week. They commited to the ground game early and were quite successful running the ball in the first half with over 100 yards rushing. SD made the adjustment at half, put 8 men in the box to slow down the run, and Delhomme was able to have a very solid game passing against SD secondary.

I think we can be successful in doing the same thing. The main concern is can we, not neccessarily stop SDs offense, but keep them in check and not have them run away with it. Though i like the way the offense is playing right now, i still don't want to get into a scoring match with SD.

I'm not expecting for this defense to stop or shut down anybody's run or pass game, but if they can keep SD out of the endzone and force them settle for a couple of FGs early, i think we'll have a chance to win this ball game imo.

The Panthers have a better running game than us though. That is why I believe we should come out passing. Our pass game is elite and I don't believe that they will be able to contain it. Once they are all worn out from chasing down Marshall and Royal, we can put Andre Hall in there to finish them off.

I also completely agree with the final part of your post, keep them to FG's and I'll be happy.

:beer:

Retired_Member_001
09-11-2008, 05:28 PM
I hope LT plays, i dont want to win if we dont play the best.

I think for this game we will see lots of screens. That way we can use their pass rush to our advantage and also we should have the speed to blow past the LBs.

Of course stokely and shceff should have big games. And sooner than later if the run game is chigging then brandon or eddie will be isoe'd, then look out!

LT will play, I'm sure of it. This toe injury is an excuse. If the Chargers beat the Panthers, we would be hearing nothing of it.

Day1BroncoFan
09-11-2008, 05:44 PM
I agree with most of what you said Wookie. I will say that a lot of the reason the chargers beat us the last few years is because we couldn't score even though we could move the ball. I think that is one big change for this year, we now have the capacity to score when we get into the red zone. Not that I want to have a scoring match with san diego but I think we can hang with them if we need to.

That being said, it's hard to judge from the Monday night game whether we're that good or the raders are that bad. This Sunday will be the litmus test.

itsdasteve
09-11-2008, 05:55 PM
I think the chargers not having Michael Turner anymore is a big bonus for us as well. Hopefully we can pull it out this weekend because I'm tired of crappy Phillip Rivers talking smack.

Retired_Member_001
09-11-2008, 05:59 PM
the chargers beat us the last few years is because we couldn't score even though we could move the ball.

Care to explain this then:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29267&season=2007&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&week=REG5

Day1BroncoFan
09-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Care to explain this then:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29267&season=2007&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&week=REG5

What in particular are you in need of an explaination of if I may ask?

Retired_Member_001
09-11-2008, 06:21 PM
What in particular are you in need of an explaination of if I may ask?

You said that the Chargers beat us because we couldn't score.

What I'm saying is that defensively it is more important.

Our offense has improved from that game, our defense hasn't.

Day1BroncoFan
09-11-2008, 06:27 PM
You said that the Chargers beat us because we couldn't score.

What I'm saying is that defensively it is more important.

Our offense has improved from that game, our defense hasn't.

Nothing I said conflicts with what you say here so what's the problem?

Retired_Member_001
09-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Nothing I said conflicts with what you say here so what's the problem?

I think there is a misunderstanding going on here somewhere. :laugh:

You said that we lost BECAUSE we couldn't score.

I'm saying, we lost because of our defense AND offense.

Day1BroncoFan
09-11-2008, 06:47 PM
I think the offenses even out now and am hoping our defense can hold it's own. I have questions about the defense being able to endure much like you.

In other words we agree the defense may be the weak link in the chain.

tboltzcali
09-11-2008, 08:26 PM
This game could be a shootout. With our defense wounded and one that hasnt gelled, we could be in for a long day. On the other hand, if we show up to play, we could give you guys a run for your money. I dont know what to expect. I will be there wondering with other bolt fans if last week was just a fluke or if we really need to make some changes on defense. We are a very banged up club and its only week 2. I sure hope we come to play.

Atabronc
09-13-2008, 09:58 PM
We aren't going to lose this game. Marshall and Royal (and let's not forget Stokely, who can catch a ball, irrespective of his off-cue performance the other night) open up a whole different dimension on offense and the SD defense has a serious loss of oomph after Merriman's will gave in to the law of physics.
The Chargers will probably put up some points, but its going to be tougher on them than in games past. DJ Williams was born to deal with Antonio Gates, although I'm unhappy about our saftey situation. Let's see if one negates the other. LT at 80% is still LT, but I think some razzle-dazzle in the air on our side of the ball and some quick points might take the ball out of his hands. At least, lets hope. The Broncos used to take LT out of the game by scoring early and often and making SD put the ball in the air where they fell victim to all manner of folly. At a certain point about three years ago, the SD defense improved as our team when into (unspoken) transition and the Chargers also began giving the ball to LT regardless of the score. And when LT had the ball, the Broncos had nothing to do about it. We know what happened next, LT became a living highlight reel every time he came up against us. And this after having torn up the league yet having to remain vexed by the Broncos for years!

Shanahan needs to go straight to the air. Hit em with something crazy, many times in succession (hopefully, with success), and then feel out their run D with Hall and Young. I don't think our pass rush is going to be much better against their O-Line than in years past, but we'll be able to take a few more of their goodies away down the field.

SD is too talented to go into much disarray after a loss of a game and I think their D will be improved from last week (Merriman was a shell of a linebacker, a healthy fullback would have done a better job against Carolina). But with a couple of wideouts the likes of which we haven't seen in a long time, if ever, and a spanking new O-Line which looks like it could be positively evil (I refuse to acknowledge the obvious feast they appear to be to the SD3 - they ain't that special without Merriman backing them), we can at least score points on them, and that's half the battle.

Retired_Member_001
09-14-2008, 04:54 PM
I told you we should come out passing.

;)

Retired_Member_001
09-21-2008, 11:35 AM
I apologize for my lack of a preview this week.

I'll definitely have one next week.

REB
09-21-2008, 02:58 PM
I apologize for my lack of a preview this week.

I'll definitely have one next week.

Slacker ;)