PDA

View Full Version : Broncos can't forget why they fell

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 09:19 AM
I think this a pretty fair review by Paige.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16996623

Paige: Broncos can't forget why they fell
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/03/2011 01:00:00 AM MST

Now ends the winter of our discontent, and the year of disgrace, disbelief, displeasure, distrust, disrespect and discombobulation of the Broncos.

Yet, after the last pass of the season was knocked away in the end zone, and the Broncos lost for a 12th time Sunday, the tens of thousands of frantic fanatics who had stayed until the bitterly cold conclusion were suddenly silent . . . then, just as suddenly, started to applaud.

Showing appreciation for the players who fought to the finish against the Chargers, supporting the Broncos for surviving some of the darkest hours in franchise history and cheering for themselves for enduring and hoping.

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 09:23 AM
In whole, it is not a season to remember, but 2010 cannot, and should not, be forgotten. Those who someday study the Broncos' history must not let this discontent be repeated — or extended to the winter of 2011.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16996623

My hope is that the front office remembers what a complete mess McDaniels made of this team and of course their own culpability in it and not the same mistakes going forward.

shank
01-03-2011, 12:54 PM
"i want to be back if this team is headed in the right direction," champ told me sunday night. It can only go in the right direction from this, i said. "that's what i'm hoping," he said.

Ravage!!!
01-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Yeah. I've said tht Champ won't be back, and namely because he was willing to pay for less, and then have that pulled away forcing him to play without contract.

However, that can be blamed on McDaniels. That situation can be put on the last, lame, regime and hopefully bridges can be mended.

zbeg
01-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Yeah. I've said tht Champ won't be back, and namely because he was willing to pay for less, and then have that pulled away forcing him to play without contract.

However, that can be blamed on McDaniels. That situation can be put on the last, lame, regime and hopefully bridges can be mended.

McDaniels made a lot of personnel mistakes, but the decision to pull the contract off the table with Bailey was Bowlen's doing.

jhildebrand
01-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Not only do the Broncos need to realize what got them here, they-and the media- need to stop doing the disservice of pretending this could be turned around overnight!

Just be real with us that we are rebuilding without fear of that word. Don't sell bull crap expectations that we "expect to win."

Doing so will only serve as unjust pressure for the next regime.

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Not only do the Broncos need to realize what got them here, they-and the media- need to stop doing the disservice of pretending this could be turned around overnight!

Just be real with us that we are rebuilding without fear of that word. Don't sell bull crap expectations that we "expect to win."

Doing so will only serve as unjust pressure for the next regime.

Even if no one said a word, the new coach is going to be asked just how quickly he thinks he can get things turned around.

The Glue Factory
01-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Even if no one said a word, the new coach is going to be asked just how quickly he thinks he can get things turned around.

Of course he is. And he SHOULD be by his bosses. Not asking that question in the interview is like blindly hiring Pee Wee Herman to develop your nuclear weapons program. However, the media doesn't have to be part of that discussion, beyond reporting the truth.

zbeg
01-03-2011, 05:06 PM

Sure, and if his answer is "we're winning the super bowl this year!" I'm going to be skeptical and would consider that he's just saying whatever it takes to get hired. Or is completely delusional.

But yeah, it is an important question to ask. I just hate that coaches are expected to succeed NOW NOW NOW, which hurts franchises in a lot of ways. The patient types like the Rooneys in Pittsburgh seem to get it. Let the franchise develop and let the coaches know that they don't have to win RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND if it means building a strong foundation that will set up the team for years to come.

So much is sacrificed in order to achieve short-term gains, because the coaches know there's a good chance they won't be around in two years.

jhildebrand
01-03-2011, 11:04 PM

I think it was Paige who recently had an article saying Denver could be one of those teams to go from 4-12 to playoffs in one offseason.

As of right now I see this as a 4-6 win team again next season (I had this one pegged at 5-11 maybe 6-10 if some things went right).

robert ethan
01-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Paige misses the Elway era. That was the last time Woodrow was able to have a woody.

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 11:44 PM
I think it was Paige who recently had an article saying Denver could be one of those teams to go from 4-12 to playoffs in one offseason.

As of right now I see this as a 4-6 win team again next season (I had this one pegged at 5-11 maybe 6-10 if some things went right).

I think it was Woody that said that. Where I think he should be careful is that two of those turn arounds happened while Elway was here.

BeefStew25
01-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Paige misses the Elway era. That was the last time Woodrow was able to have a woody.

Oh I get it. "Woody" is slang for an erection, and Woody is his first name. How do you think up of this stuff?

zbeg
01-04-2011, 12:43 AM

Can Woody get a Tebowner? Or is that crossing the streams?

BroncoStud
01-04-2011, 01:00 AM
I have to admit it was damn nice to see the crowd cheering when the game was over, the Broncos played their asses off the last 3 games of the season, Tim Tebow was exactly what this team needed to get through a miserable end of the season. He did what many hoped he would, provide a spark and some hope for the future. The team responded in what was probably the hardest 3 games I've seen them play since the New England game last season.

Gotta give the team and interim coaches a lot of credit for rallying.

arapaho2
01-04-2011, 12:15 PM

dont discount true leadership....a great coach doing the right things personal wise, coaching wise and scheme wise, willing to delegate some authority to his cordinators
could easily account for 4-6 wins over the crap that was mcdanials way

i think mcd screwed this orginization up ....wrong schemes, inept offense, inability to adapt, refusal to work with players, horrid personel moves

but look at the diferance just loseing nolan and promoting wink did to the defense....had we kept nolan do you honestly thing our defense would have been so hideous?

the right personal in the coaching and managerial positions can improve the win record regardless of players ...that is my belief

were not getting into the post season next year...but the right coach can impact this team in a good way...just as easily as the wrong coach can impact the team