PDA

View Full Version : Get Harbaugh and trade Tebow and the #2 for the #1

TimBuff10
01-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Has Tebow has shown enough to get his trade value high enough for this and would Carolina bite? Or would they be worried about his reliability and afraid he is an injury waiting to happen with him resorting to the run so much?

Whatever happens it will be great to see who the next coach will be... Hopefully Elway can bing Harbaugh back with him after the Orange Bowl.

Lancane
01-03-2011, 01:24 AM
And I knew this shit was coming once Harbaugh was announced as a candidate.

pipes
01-03-2011, 01:27 AM
Yup...
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

camdisco24
01-03-2011, 01:27 AM
No.

BroncoStud
01-03-2011, 01:30 AM
Why is it assumed that Harbaugh/Luck are a package deal? What if, and call me crazy, what if Harbaugh like Tim Tebow? What if he wants the challenge of molding Tebow into a great QB? Harbaugh was a pretty good QB himself.

TimBuff10
01-03-2011, 01:40 AM
Why is it assumed that Harbaugh/Luck are a package deal? What if, and call me crazy, what if Harbaugh like Tim Tebow? What if he wants the challenge of molding Tebow into a great QB? Harbaugh was a pretty good QB himself.

You may be right, but you may also be wrong.

Conventional wisdom would point to the new coach wanting his guy that he can trust and is most familiar with, not remnants of what is leftover from a guy who got fired. Again though, Harbaugh could possibly prefer Tebow... You just never know.

sneakers
01-03-2011, 01:47 AM
Isn't he only a Sophomore?

He could just stay in school another year considering there will be no football next season.

camdisco24
01-03-2011, 01:48 AM
How many times has a college coach jumped up to the NFL to coach his star player?

sneakers
01-03-2011, 01:49 AM
How many times has a college coach jumped up to the NFL to coach his star player?

Pete Carol :confused:

He has all USC players on his team......i think

Buff
01-03-2011, 01:51 AM
I don't think anyone assumes Luck/Harbaugh is going to happen... But it's an intriguing possibility to have arguably the hottest QB and coaching prospects coming out of the same school in the same year. If I were Carolina I'd at least gauge Harbaugh's interest in that scenario.

BroncoBJ
01-03-2011, 01:51 AM
I'd rather get Rob Ryan and trade Tebow and the #2 pick to Cleveland and get thier pick and Colt McCoy in a trade.

Yee Haw :elefant:

And also get Hillis back if we can. :fight:

TimBuff10
01-03-2011, 01:53 AM
Isn't he only a Sophomore?

He could just stay in school another year considering there will be no football next season.

You don't pass up big bucks for a chance at smaller bucks next year. His stock can't go any higher and even though the money wont be as much as it has in previous years, it can only go down from here. But yes, he could stay in school.

Buff
I'd rather get Rob Ryan and trade Tebow and the #2 pick to Cleveland and get thier pick and Colt McCoy in a trade.

Rob Ryan, yes. Hillis, yes. Colt McCoy, no. :defense:

BroncoWave
I don't think anyone assumes Luck/Harbaugh is going to happen... But it's an intriguing possibility to have arguably the hottest QB and coaching prospects coming out of the same school in the same year. If I were Carolina I'd at least gauge Harbaugh's interest in that scenario.

Andrew Mason, who covered the Panthers before he covered the Broncos, said that the Panthers will most certainly go for a guy with NFL head coaching experience. He said he doesn't think there is any way they pursue Harbaugh.

Buff
01-03-2011, 01:56 AM
Andrew Mason, who covered the Panthers before he covered the Broncos, said that the Panthers will most certainly go for a guy with NFL head coaching experience. He said he doesn't think there is any way they pursue Harbaugh.

I believe Mason, but I don't know why they wouldn't at least interview him. He's also a little bit different than the typical coach without NFL experience since he played and his brother has coached in the league for a few years. If Luck is going to be their guy, then I think they're obligated to hear what Harbaugh has to say.

Lancane
01-03-2011, 01:59 AM

Mason already proved his ineptitude then, they have an interview scheduled with Ron Rivera, what head coaching experience does he have?

BroncoWave
01-03-2011, 02:00 AM
I believe Mason, but I don't know why they wouldn't at least interview him. He's also a little bit different than the typical coach without NFL experience since he played and his brother has coached in the league for a few years. If Luck is going to be their guy, then I think they're obligated to hear what Harbaugh has to say.

I agree, they should definitely give Harbaugh an interview.

BroncoWave
01-03-2011, 02:01 AM
Mason already proved his ineptitude then, they have an interview scheduled with Ron Rivera, what head coaching experience does he have?

Could be their Rooney Rule interview. :noidea:

Just passing along what Mason had to say. What makes you say he's inept?

Lancane
01-03-2011, 02:05 AM
Could be their Rooney Rule interview. :noidea:

Just passing along what Mason had to say. What makes you say he's inept?

I said that would prove him to be, usually Mason is pretty solid...he has his moments, but what journalist/columnist doesn't? Point is that according to most of the talking heads around the league, Carolina plans to go the assistant coach route, and with them having Rivera scheduled for an interview already? That points to the opposite of what he's saying.

PAINTERDAVE
01-03-2011, 02:16 AM
Word is that harbaugh will either land in Michigan... or SF if the NFL.

Luck is junior with a whopping 21 games.
He is from a wealthy family, money is not an overiding issue.
He wants to win the Heisman.
His dad wants him to get the degree. He wants the degree.

If he did come out... why would he want to go to a team with a crappy defense?
Because trading all of our picks for Luck... leaves us with a crappy defense.

But you guys just keep on holding your fingers crosssed...
and wish on a star real hard..
dont step on any cracks...
and be some trick of fate...
maybe... just maybe...
maybe this horrible Tebow guy will just go away.

zbeg
01-03-2011, 02:23 AM
7TD's and over 800 yards in 3 starts...
as a rookie... on a bad, bad team.
The guy sucks so bad!

He's 1-2 as a starter. He's a loser, by definition.

(Kidding...)

Davii
01-03-2011, 02:27 AM
Why would we even entertain the thought of such a trade?

Tebow, although certainly not a proven commodity, has proven more in the NFL than Luck has. There is no guarantee Luck is even a half decent NFL QB.

Tebow will do nothing but bust his ass and improve. Why would you not want him on your team for years to come?

BroncoBJ
01-03-2011, 02:32 AM
Why would we even entertain the thought of such a trade?

Tebow, although certainly not a proven commodity, has proven more in the NFL than Luck has. There is no guarantee Luck is even a half decent NFL QB.

Tebow will do nothing but bust his ass and improve. Why would you not want him on your team for years to come?

Analysts say that Luck is going to be great and hes the next Manning and Elway so we just have to believe them. :coffee:

Funny how so many people jump on a bandwagon of someone that they've probably only seen play a few times. If the analysts were talking about Mallet, so would everyone on this site.

It'd be cool if people had thier own opinions but I guess thats too hard to ask.

Just wait til after the combine when say a Jake Locker has a great combine and then ESPN and analysts are all over him. Then everyone on this site will want him.

Some people need to watch more football. :salute:

And thats not for everyone. Theres a lot of people on here that do know whats up, but some people never even watch college football and they go around acting like they have an opinion. :fight:

PAINTERDAVE
01-03-2011, 02:33 AM
Fox Sports Article - Partial reprint.
By Michael Martinez
Posted Jan 2, 2011

SAN FRANCISCO – Team president Jed York met for two hours Saturday with Trent Baalke, vice president of player personnel for the San Francisco 49ers, but the team is still considering other candidates for the job of general manager.

An NFL source said York remains interested in former Oakland Raiders executive Michael Lombardi because he believes Lombardi might be able to deliver Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh as the 49ers’ next head coach.

Lombardi ran the Raiders player personnel department until he was fired in May 2009. Harbaugh was the team’s quarterbacks coach in 2002 and 2003, and the two are said to have a good relationship.

If the 49ers have targeted Harbaugh to be their next coach, they may have to move quickly on hiring a GM. Stanford plays Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl on Monday night, and Harbaugh is considered a hot commodity by a number of teams, including his alma mater, Michigan.

Harbaugh will undoubtedly be a candidate for virtually every NFL opening, and there were reports that new Denver Broncos VP John Elway met with Harbaugh about their head coach vacancy. If Michigan fires current coach Rich Rodriguez – a likely possibility after the Wolverines’ 38-point loss to Mississippi State in the Gator Bowl – they would pursue Harbaugh immediately.

Lancane
01-03-2011, 02:42 AM
Analysts say that Luck is going to be great and hes the next Manning and Elway so we just have to believe them. :coffee:

Funny how so many people jump on a bandwagon of someone that they've probably only seen play a few times. If the analysts were talking about Mallet, so would everyone on this site.

It'd be cool if people had thier own opinions but I guess thats too hard to ask.

Just wait til after the combine when say a Jake Locker has a great combine and then ESPN and analysts are all over him. Then everyone on this site will want him.

Some people need to watch more football. :salute:

And thats not for everyone. Theres a lot of people on here that do know whats up, but some people never even watch college football and they go around acting like they have an opinion. :fight:

I like Andrew Luck, but I have to admit that I am a real fan of Mallett's, it will be real interesting to see where he lands and how he does. I'm not that big on Locker, he's reminds me of Jake Plummer in many ways. But of all the quarterbacks that will be in the draft, I really like Pat Devlin, that kid has a howitzer for an arm.

Magnificent Seven
01-03-2011, 03:04 AM

NO FREAKING WAY!!!!! Are you out of mind? Screw Rob Ryan! There is no way to trade Tebow!

sneakers
01-03-2011, 04:08 AM
Besides, how would drafting a QB in the first round improve our defense at all?

BroncoBJ
01-03-2011, 04:20 AM
Besides, how would drafting a QB in the first round improve our defense at all?

Some fans just don't understand that defense is our main concern. Our offense should be left alone for the most part. Not to mention we scored 20 points in 3 straight games for the 1st time since the 1st 3 games of 2008 where we scored 30 points in 3 straight games.

Tebows 1st 3 starts = 20 points or more in each game.

So if we score 20 points in 3 straight games and end up 1-2. It makes me think that our defense is not very good? Thus needing Defense?

Sneakers, you are a smart man. I wish more people were like you.

Defense all the way :salute:

Elevation inc
01-03-2011, 04:51 AM
stupid post:coffee:

WARHORSE
01-03-2011, 04:54 AM
If Elway is pursuing Harbaugh, then I believe its because he likes what he sees. Part of me wants to say Elway is being a homer for a Stanford man, but there are too many other teams wanting Harbaugh as well.

Harbaugh offers some real potential, but is unproven. At least if he comes here he wont have to worry about personel responsibility.

Elway absolutely loves Luck. Said hes the best player in the draft by far, and I dont see anyone disagreeing with him. I agree. They say he has the quickest release since Dan Marino.........that alone helps an offense a WHOLE lot if hes accurate.....which he is.

He has a bazooka, hes mobile, hes a leader, hes smart and hes the prototype of what you want to see in a QB coming out of college, with the exception of perhaps more experience.

Does Harbaugh bring Denver a higher chance to pick up Luck?

That remains to be seen.

But if Luck wants to play for Harbaugh........that goes a looong way towards a teams ability to land him.

I would venture to say if Harbaugh coaches in Denver, and Luck wants to follow him, it will happen. Carolina wont have the guts to get stubborn, and all Luck would have to say is, "I dont want to play for Carolina".

Carolina would make a deal because they cant afford to play games, and watch a QB threaten to sit out. Not to mention they would be trading witht he second pick in the draft.
What would Carolina want in return?

First of all, Bowers is not a bad consolation prize. If they got Bowers, Orton and a WR.......they will have done well......perhaps a third next year or a second....maybe even a second this year.

Regardless, this is an interesting situation.

What about Tebow? After watching Tebow, hes a playmaker. However, he looks likes hes playing at Florida right now, and its obvious he needs to work on his footwork and accuracy. He cant run all the time like he did tas a Gator, one becaused teams will kill him, and two the WRs will get pissed.

But I would hold on to Tebow. One....he is a red zone BEAST. Two, he can still develop, and he will make a good backup as well as a great trading chip later on if he pans out.

Dont get mad on the speculation........its the offseason.;)

JDL
01-03-2011, 06:14 AM
Has Tebow has shown enough to get his trade value high enough for this and would Carolina bite? Or would they be worried about his reliability and afraid he is an injury waiting to happen with him resorting to the run so much?

Whatever happens it will be great to see who the next coach will be... Hopefully Elway can bing Harbaugh back with him after the Orange Bowl.

To me in a vacuum there is no question Luck is a better QB prospect than Tebow... and it isn't close, because Luck is simply that great of a prospect, he is a Manning-level prospect. All due respect to the progress Tebow has shown.... so straight up it would be like trading Steve McNair for Peyton Manning.

All that being said... if you heard just how incredibly alive and loud the stadium was with chants of Tebow at the end of that game... you would understand that for better or worse, Tebow is the guy. We may regret it in the future we may not, but I don't see how you give up on a guy that literally has the Denver fan base galvanized for the first time in over a decade. It just isn't the smart business decision even if it might be the best longterm decision. It wouldn't be fair to Luck to put him in that position or do that to Tebow at this point.

Nomad
01-03-2011, 07:44 AM
Dont get mad on the speculation........its the offseason.;)

This^^^^^^^^^!! No reason to get wound up because by April people will be on high blood pressure meds:D! All we can say is...."In Elway We Trust"!!

Juriga72
01-03-2011, 07:48 AM

As long as Oregon isn't in the AFC West... I'm all for it...lol Luck looked terrible against them

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Word is that harbaugh will either land in Michigan... or SF if the NFL.

Luck is junior with a whopping 21 games.
He is from a wealthy family, money is not an overiding issue.
He wants to win the Heisman.
His dad wants him to get the degree. He wants the degree.

If he did come out... why would he want to go to a team with a crappy defense?
Because trading all of our picks for Luck... leaves us with a crappy defense.

But you guys just keep on holding your fingers crosssed...
and wish on a star real hard..
dont step on any cracks...
and be some trick of fate...
maybe... just maybe...
maybe this horrible Tebow guy will just go away.

We have the second overall pick in the draft so I don't think we would have to sell the farm to move up just one spot in the draft. That aside we still don't have a lot draft picks at this time admittedly though that is subject to change.

Elevation inc
01-03-2011, 09:31 AM

rooney rule req maybe???

SOCALORADO.
01-03-2011, 09:32 AM
We have the second overall pick in the draft so I don't think we would have to sell the farm to move up just one spot in the draft. That aside we still don't have a lot draft picks at this time admittedly though that is subject to change.

No. Cmon man.
Harbaugh would have to be hired before the draft.
Then suddenly DEN starts inquiring about what CAR wants to do? Maybe trade for the 1st pick?
Are you kidding? CAR will take FULL advantage knowing damn well that Luck is DENs target, and they will make DEN pay for that pick.
They could simply threaten to sign Luck, or even sign and trade Luck to another team! Just let the auction for Luck's services begin and hold DENs feet to the fire.
DEN will have to work out a deal long before the draft with CAR, and that deal will be for alot of picks, cause DEN doesnt have much else to offer.

Elevation inc
01-03-2011, 09:43 AM
trading for luck could be the stupidest decision thsi farcnhsie makes, drafting luck gets our defense nowhers, and thats been the problem on this team for the last decade...it was for griese, it was for plummer, it was for cutler, it was for orton, and it is for tebow already.....when the f'n hell are peopel gonna get a clue that even peyton manning needed a defense to get to the SB, so did drew brees, big ben, rex grossman, Eli etc......without a defense luck becomes the next jay cutler in the win loss column and then in 3 years a new coach comes in and we get another Qb......

draft defense period....screw luck......everyone was on bradfords nuts to before the draft last year and then said wow look he has the rams playing solid...then he proceeds to spend the next few weeks choking his team out of the playoffs even though they lead the wack division for most of the year......the next hot Qb cant prospect isnt always the answer.

just ask russell, leaf, akili smith, couch etc etc etc...

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 09:43 AM

If I understand you correctly you're saying Tebow has show enough potential that maybe would be interested in taking him and developing him further but on the flip side he hasn't shown enough that Denver should try to develop him further? :confused: That make no sense to me.

For me one thing if Luck (assuming he come out) is for some reason there when we pick and something entirely different to move up to take him. That would be Denver speaking out of both sides of its mouth.

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 09:53 AM
No. Cmon man.
Harbaugh would have to be hired before the draft.
Then suddenly DEN starts inquiring about what CAR wants to do? Maybe trade for the 1st pick?
Are you kidding? CAR will take FULL advantage knowing damn well that Luck is DENs target, and they will make DEN pay for that pick.
They could simply threaten to sign Luck, or even sign and trade Luck to another team! Just let the auction for Luck's services begin and hold DENs feet to the fire.
DEN will have to work out a deal long before the draft with CAR, and that deal will be for alot of picks, cause DEN doesnt have much else to offer.

You're misunderstanding Socal. We've got a big hole in the middle of this year's draft thanks to that genius McDaniels. I don't think Denver should try and trade up to get Luck. If Carolina passes on Luck that's one thing it's quite a different thing to trade picks when we are bereft of youth and talent on the defensive side of the ball.

SOCALORADO.
01-03-2011, 10:03 AM
You're misunderstanding Socal. We've got a big hole in the middle of this year's draft thanks to that genius McDaniels. I don't think Denver should try and trade up to get Luck. If Carolina passes on Luck that's one thing it's quite a different thing to trade picks when we are bereft of youth and talent on the defensive side of the ball.

OK, thats good. Yeah, bad idea.
DEN just cannot afford to mess around with trying to make a play for Luck now.

Northman
01-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Well first, Harbaugh would have to become the coach of the Denver Broncos. Secondly, if Luck is projected as a cant miss QB like so many are clamoring why in the world would they give up the #1 to take Tebow who may be a project in the eyes of so many? I could see a team like San Fran or Buffalo going for something like that but not Carolina when they could easily take the guy they want.

Elevation inc
01-03-2011, 10:14 AM
If we stay at 2 select Bowers, otherwise we should trade back to around 9-12 range still get a elite DL player like Marcel Dareus and gain a extra 2nd rd pick, then trade orton for 3rd and 4th rd picks plus a conditional 2012 and we will be looking pretty draft picks wise

see my sig for example....HAHA

SOCALORADO.
01-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Well first, Harbaugh would have to become the coach of the Denver Broncos. Secondly, if Luck is projected as a cant miss QB like so many are clamoring why in the world would they give up the #1 to take Tebow who may be a project in the eyes of so many? I could see a team like San Fran or Buffalo going for something like that but not Carolina when they could easily take the guy they want.

Right. Or CAR could just bend DEN over and take all of their picks and next years #1 as well.
Thats why its a bad idea.
Question. When was the last mega-draft trade deal for a QB that worked out?

Elevation inc
01-03-2011, 10:15 AM

exactly if fox stayed i could have seen them passing on luck, but a new guy is gonna want to tie himself with a top Qb propsect, not some project liek clausen or matt moore. carolina will take luck, its a definite now that fox wont be back.....

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 10:22 AM
exactly if fox stayed i could have seen them passing on luck, but a new guy is gonna want to tie himself with a top Qb propsect, not some project liek clausen or matt moore. carolina will take luck, its a definite now that fox wont be back.....

As I said I wouldn't move up to take Luck but I he fell did slip past them I think you have to you have to give serious consideration to taking him.

Elevation inc
01-03-2011, 10:28 AM
As I said I wouldn't move up to take Luck but I he fell did slip past them I think you have to you have to give serious consideration to taking him.

If luck fell to us i would steal everything from a Qb needy team in a trade.....you get our #2 to draft luck we get your 1st 2nd and 5th rd picks this year and your 1st and third next year:lol:

BeefStew25
01-03-2011, 10:30 AM
If luck fell to us i would steal everything from a Qb needy team in a trade.....you get our #2 to draft luck we get your 1st 2nd and 5th rd picks this year and your 1st and third next year:lol:

Totally. And find defense on pure numbers alone. Like have 20 draft picks. Like Draft Keno.

OrangeHoof
01-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Luck is the son of Oliver Luck, a former QB at West Virginia who was a finalist for a Rhodes Scholarship, played four years with the Houston Oilers, dabbled in sportscasting, became a GM of an NFL Europe team where he also practiced law, became CEO of the Houston Sports Authority which spearheaded the funding and building of three Houston sports venues and then became the president of the Houston Dynamos who won the MLS title in 2006 and 2007. He is currently the AD at his alma mater, West Virginia.

Oliver Luck is smart. talented and well off, but I wouldn't really characterize him as "rich". He's certainly well-connected in the sports world.

His son, Andrew, was a star quarterback at Houston Stratford high school before attending Stanford. By most accounts, Andrew is brainy like his father and more athletically gifted. He's 6-4, and 235. IOW, he fits the profile of exactly what you want in a pro QB. I think he'd be more like Manning than Elway but you can see the similarities.

Is he worth trading a #1 and Tebow to move up one spot in order to secure his services? I think any NFL scout would tell you "yes". But would Carolina do it? Tough question. And would Luck forgo his final year at Stanford if the deck were stacked to bring he and his coach to Denver? I think he would.

There's one thing that's true in all of this. The Lucks will do the smart thing, whether that is staying put or moving on. Whichever is the smarter move, that's what he and his dad will choose to do.

IMO, Andrew risks having a Matt Leinart nightmare if he stays another year. He needs to go while he's considered an overall #1 and take the money. He can always return in the off-season to finish his degree but if Elway and the Broncos can stack the deck to assure he comes out to a healthy situation for him, that would just ice it. Hiring his Stanford coach (Harbaugh) would obviously be Step One.

Now, I'm all for upgrading the defense and defense wins championships, yada yada but QBs like this one come around once a generation. Tebow is a superior college QB that is, to put it kindly, a work-in-progress to make the NFL. Luck is the prototype NFL QB that is still in college. A Luck-Harbaugh tandem would ultimately get us back into the playoffs in 2-3 years. Tebow might get us there too but it won't be as easy.

Northman
01-03-2011, 10:43 AM

Totally. I would rape the Niners or Bills in a heartbeat.

Northman
01-03-2011, 10:46 AM
A Luck-Harbaugh tandem would ultimately get us back into the playoffs in 2-3 years. Tebow might get us there too but it won't be as easy.

I respectfully disagree.

BeefStew25
01-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Luck is the son of Oliver Luck, a former QB at West Virginia who was a finalist for a Rhodes Scholarship, played four years with the Houston Oilers, dabbled in sportscasting, became a GM of an NFL Europe team where he also practiced law, became CEO of the Houston Sports Authority which spearheaded the funding and building of three Houston sports venues and then became the president of the Houston Dynamos who won the MLS title in 2006 and 2007. He is currently the AD at his alma mater, West Virginia.

Oliver Luck is smart. talented and well off, but I wouldn't really characterize him as "rich". He's certainly well-connected in the sports world.

His son, Andrew, was a star quarterback at Houston Stratford high school before attending Stanford. By most accounts, Andrew is brainy like his father and more athletically gifted. He's 6-4, and 235. IOW, he fits the profile of exactly what you want in a pro QB. I think he'd be more like Manning than Elway but you can see the similarities.

Is he worth trading a #1 and Tebow to move up one spot in order to secure his services? I think any NFL scout would tell you "yes". But would Carolina do it? Tough question. And would Luck forgo his final year at Stanford if the deck were stacked to bring he and his coach to Denver? I think he would.

There's one thing that's true in all of this. The Lucks will do the smart thing, whether that is staying put or moving on. Whichever is the smarter move, that's what he and his dad will choose to do.

IMO, Andrew risks having a Matt Leinart nightmare if he stays another year. He needs to go while he's considered an overall #1 and take the money. He can always return in the off-season to finish his degree but if Elway and the Broncos can stack the deck to assure he comes out to a healthy situation for him, that would just ice it. Hiring his Stanford coach (Harbaugh) would obviously be Step One.

Now, I'm all for upgrading the defense and defense wins championships, yada yada but QBs like this one come around once a generation. Tebow is a superior college QB that is, to put it kindly, a work-in-progress to make the NFL. Luck is the prototype NFL QB that is still in college. A Luck-Harbaugh tandem would ultimately get us back into the playoffs in 2-3 years. Tebow might get us there too but it won't be as easy.

Very valid points. I like his lily white upbringing also, and the fact he wasn't home schooled.

PAINTERDAVE
01-03-2011, 10:58 AM

Agreed... IF Luck even comes out.

PAINTERDAVE
01-03-2011, 11:06 AM
"Luck is the son of Oliver Luck, a former QB at West Virginia who was a finalist for a Rhodes Scholarship, played four years with the Houston Oilers, dabbled in sportscasting, became a GM of an NFL Europe team where he also practiced law, became CEO of the Houston Sports Authority which spearheaded the funding and building of three Houston sports venues and then became the president of the Houston Dynamos who won the MLS title in 2006 and 2007. He is currently the AD at his alma mater, West Virginia.

Oliver Luck is smart. talented and well off, but I wouldn't really characterize him as "rich". He's certainly well-connected in the sports world."

This is the description of a wealthy man. He obviously is not pushing his son to leave school early,
to pay for grandma's hip surgery.
The argument that Luck "must" come out now or he risks losing the big bucks is a non starter.

IF Luck is such an incredible "can't miss NFL ready QB" now...
he will be just that much more valuable in a year when he is seasoned longer in the collegiate ranks,
has won the Heisman, and has his degree.

It can't be both ways.... he can't be a "sure thing"... but he has a "shelf life" of one year

That argument smacks of desperation for Luck to be in the mix this year.
I dont understand why some people seem so desperate for Luck to come out this year?

dunk7
01-03-2011, 11:22 AM

I'm hoping for this as well...I still think a top-flight QB will trump a poor defense (Brady, Manning, Rogers, Brees, etc...). I'm just not sold Tebow can be a pocket passer and if not survive for too long relying on the run (remember the preseason vs. Cincy). My prediction is that Elway convinces Harbaugh to come to Denver. Harbaugh convinces Luck to pull an "Eli Manning" and we get a QB to build around. Go defense for the rest of the draft and I still think we have huge improvements in the first year. We are a playoff team if we can get DeAngelo Williams and sign Champ.

GEM
01-03-2011, 11:42 AM

Agree. We need playerS! We only have 6 draft picks in which to retool an entire defense. I don't want to scrap all that for one guy, a QB when we have one that could turn into something. If we go offense I am going to need to defibrillate myself.

DallasChief
01-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Why would the Panthers trade a potential franchise QB for a safety?

Buff
01-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Why would the Panthers trade a potential franchise QB for a safety?

He could probably cover the deep third better than Eric Berry.

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 12:12 PM

That might be worth it, but I think whoever drafts his going to keep him.

jhildebrand
01-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Why would Carolina do that? :confused:

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Why would Carolina do that? :confused:

What if there next head coach feels that he can develop Claussen into solid quarterback? I'm going to guess they have as many holes on their team as we do on ours.

At this stage it's safe bet they wont pass on Luck however, it is the NFL and anything is possible.

jhildebrand
01-03-2011, 12:38 PM
What if there next head coach feels that he can develop Claussen into solid quarterback? I'm going to guess they have as many holes on their team as we do on ours.

If whomever they hired felt that way, then they made the wrong hire :lol:

All kidding aside, I could see the right hire in Carolina sticking with Claussen while they fill the holes around him like I have been advocating the next regime here do. If they take Luck then we have our pick of the best D player. That's not a bad thing.

Elevation inc
01-03-2011, 12:57 PM
That might be worth it, but I think whoever drafts his going to keep him.

what i was saying is if luck gets by carolina, and he is there for the taking when we pick, we need to dangle him to every qb needy team there is and screw them from head to toe of their draft picks.....i am much more a fan of that strategy than drafting luck at 2

Elevation inc
01-03-2011, 01:01 PM
carolina's new regime will absolutely not have any ties to a second rd Qb that costs nothing and played liek ass all year.....i guarentee with the numebr 1 pick if luck is there they take him, and if there idiots and pass, thats just better for us becasue the draft compensation we can score from other teams wanting luck would be a huge bidding war and we would come out banking picks for our defense which is the problem on this team not the Qb position.

Ravage!!!
01-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Not necessarily. How many teams have moved up INTO the top 5, or have moved out of the top 5? Rarely. If Luck is there, we TAKE him... period. Elway LOVES Luck. Don't think that if Luck is there, we pass on him with the intention of trading HIM away. Not-gonna-happen.

SOCALORADO.
01-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Not necessarily. How many teams have moved up INTO the top 5, or have moved out of the top 5? Rarely. If Luck is there, we TAKE him... period. Elway LOVES Luck. Don't think that if Luck is there, we pass on him with the intention of trading HIM away. Not-gonna-happen.

If Luck falls to DEN at #2, DEN takes him.
Then DEN has a
"QB blow-out sale extravaganza!!!"
DEN can do a sign and trade with Luck for players and picks.
DEN can keep Luck and trade TT.
And DEN will trade away any and all other QB's on the roster,
depending on need and offer to aquire picks/players.

SD drafted Eli eventhough he said he would not play for them.
Then SD traded his rights to NYG for the 4th pick in Rivers for a
1st in 2005, and a 3rd in 2004.
With those picks SD aquired Shawn Merriman and Nate Kaeding.
Not bad, for a 3 spot swing for a QB swap.
DEn needs to maximize its roster at all costs, IF!!! (big IF!!) Luck fell to them.

Elevation inc
01-03-2011, 02:17 PM

a rookie scale would change that, which by the way owners, players and the union want, and really there hasnt been this much coaching change and Qb needy teams in some time.....and if luck is there we dont take him we listen to all the offers team throw at us for the #2 pick first and if its a steal and just that damn good we make the deal, if not we take bowers......screw drafting luck seriously why, so he can end up like cutler with a crappy record becasue the defense never gets imapct players or solid depth???? dude ends up just like every otehr qb in denver without a defense, facing a Qb controversey

im so fed up with the luck hype train.....its hilarious.....i hated bradford who was cant miss as well, and he just choked St louis out of the playoffs the last few weeks......

Elevation inc
01-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Then DEN has a
DEN can do a sign and trade with Luck for players and picks.
DEN can keep Luck and trade TT.

DEn needs to maximize its roster at all costs, IF!!! (big IF!!) Luck fell to them.

denver does not have to take luck at 2 they can simply wait for a team wanting the #2 pick so they can draft luck and is willing to sell the farm to make a deal, those calls will happen to esepcially, since luck is a supposed once in a lifetime prospect.....

Nomad
01-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Then DEN has a
DEN can do a sign and trade with Luck for players and picks.DEN can keep Luck and trade TT.

Panther's have many holes to fill as well and if they just happen to be sure Clausen will develop into outstanding QB and pass on Luck, why wouldn't they make some desperate team sale the 'farm' to get him while getting players and picks in return to fill their holes!!

DallasChief
01-03-2011, 02:31 PM
It would be funny if the Broncos drafted Luck and then he threatened to play baseball unless traded to Baltimore.

Northman
01-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Panther's have many holes to fill as well and if they just happen to be sure Clausen will develop into outstanding QB and pass on Luck, why wouldn't they make some desperate team sale the 'farm' to get him while getting players and picks in return to fill their holes!!

Unfortuantely here's the funny thing. Even if Carolina passes on Luck they will not let him fall to Denver. Why?

Because Luck's value will draw the same teams it would if Denver had the chance to draft him. As you said, Carolina has many needs to fill so they could easily go and rape a team like SF or Buff and have them move up to #1 while stockpiling draft picks themselves. So while Denver fans can dream of Luck falling to them its just not going to happen.

Nomad
01-03-2011, 02:35 PM
It would be funny if the Broncos drafted Luck and then he threatened to play baseball unless traded to Baltimore.

Luck giving the one finger salute to Elway would be kinda funny/sad, ironic, and karma wrapped into one!!

Nomad
01-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Unfortuantely here's the funny thing. Even if Carolina passes on Luck they will not let him fall to Denver. Why?

Because Luck's value will draw the same teams it would if Denver had the chance to draft him. As you said, Carolina has many needs to fill so they could easily go and rape a team like SF or Buff and have them move up to #1 while stockpiling draft picks themselves. So while Denver fans can dream of Luck falling to them its just not going to happen.

That's what i was getting at:lol: instead I screwed the whole post up!!:D

I'm surprised I haven't seen EMB post a ''It's a 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 % chance, Luck will not be a BRONCO!!:lol:

SOCALORADO.
01-03-2011, 02:45 PM
denver does not have to take luck at 2 they can simply wait for a team wanting the #2 pick so they can draft luck and is willing to sell the farm to make a deal, those calls will happen to esepcially, since luck is a supposed once in a lifetime prospect.....

Thats if DEN doesnt want Luck. Many here are throwing out the scenario that if Harbaugh became the coach, then DEN would want Luck.
Also, even if DEN didnt want Luck dratng him and them making a deal later could be a better option. DEN could also aquire players in a sign and trade with another team. Theres not much time between picks anymore.

SOCALORADO.
01-03-2011, 02:46 PM

Oh i am sure that is a more likely option.

robert ethan
01-03-2011, 02:46 PM
This was the plan all along. Elway talked to Harbaugh well before McDaniels was fired. The whole Stanford connection was tied up together. Elway, Harbaugh, Luck.

A stupid vanity play on the part of Bowlen and Elway. By firing McDaniels, demoting Xanders, and/or trading Tebow in favor of Elway, Harbaugh, and Luck, the team weakens itself in all three departments. Not to mention the increased cost in draft picks and salary.

But based on the stupidity I've seen so far, it's entirely possible. I wonder if Fink Martindale and Stooliesville will be rewarded for their treachery?

cuzz4169
01-03-2011, 02:52 PM
god I hated Harballs as a player.

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 02:55 PM
If whomever they hired felt that way, then they made the wrong hire :lol:

All kidding aside, I could see the right hire in Carolina sticking with Claussen while they fill the holes around him like I have been advocating the next regime here do. If they take Luck then we have our pick of the best D player. That's not a bad thing.

I'm not advocating that we take Luck just throwing something out there for discussion.

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 03:17 PM
what i was saying is if luck gets by carolina, and he is there for the taking when we pick, we need to dangle him to every qb needy team there is and screw them from head to toe of their draft picks.....i am much more a fan of that strategy than drafting luck at 2

I understood you El. I'm not so sure we we dangle him out there as trade bait.

Those team would realize that we're screwing them head to toe and tell us to shove it. Every teams knows what happened when the Vikings and the Saints mortgaged entire their entire drafts for one player, it was disaster in both cases. I think the conventional wisdom you don't it even if it's high need. Just a few years back Denver wanted Calvin Johnson badly but they wanted to do exactly what you're suggesting and we walked away as well as everyone else that might have been interested.

jhildebrand
01-03-2011, 03:17 PM
This was the plan all along. Elway talked to Harbaugh well before McDaniels was fired. The whole Stanford connection was tied up together. Elway, Harbaugh, Luck.

A stupid vanity play on the part of Bowlen and Elway. By firing McDaniels, demoting Xanders, and/or trading Tebow in favor of Elway, Harbaugh, and Luck, the team weakens itself in all three departments. Not to mention the increased cost in draft picks and salary.

But based on the stupidity I've seen so far, it's entirely possible. I wonder if Fink Martindale and Stooliesville will be rewarded for their treachery?

Do you peer out from behind dark shades all day long?

hotcarl
01-03-2011, 03:21 PM
more like stink fartinstale :mad:

Traveler
01-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Singletary as DC or LB's coach. Anyone?

Elevation inc
01-03-2011, 03:23 PM

dude who are you...clueless much??? sheesh....

hotcarl
01-03-2011, 03:26 PM

more like Bike Dingleberry :rolleyes:

dogfish
01-03-2011, 03:29 PM

nope. . .

i'm a big fan of the guy, but he should be a college head coach, plain and simple. . . he's never been a coordinator, he's not an X's and O's guy-- he's a motivator-type that needs to be surrounded with a strong staff himself. . . and IMO it's kind of insulting to expect him to accept a demotion from HC all the way down to position coach. . .

i can maaaybe see him getting hired somewhere as an assistant head coach/defense along with an established DC (greg manusky for example, if the niners fire him), but i really think samurai mike's over-the-top fire and brimstone will work better with younger kids who aren't already millionaires. . .

Traveler
01-03-2011, 03:37 PM
nope. . .

i'm a big fan of the guy, but he should be a college head coach, plain and simple. . . he's never been a coordinator, he's not an X's and O's guy-- he's a motivator-type that needs to be surrounded with a strong staff himself. . . and IMO it's kind of insulting to expect him to accept a demotion from HC all the way down to position coach. . .

i can maaaybe see him getting hired somewhere as an assistant head coach/defense along with an established DC (greg manusky for example, if the niners fire him), but i really think samurai mike's over-the-top fire and brimstone will work better with younger kids who aren't already millionaires. . .

I think he's beter suited to be a position coach, ie., LB's. It what he knows best and did a really nice job when holding the position in SF before he got promoted.

You probably are correct that it might insulting to accept a job as a position coach. May not have any choice though.

hotcarl
01-03-2011, 03:39 PM
more like Psyche Jinglefairy :rolleyes:

chazoe60
01-03-2011, 03:46 PM

Now, the fan in me (insert what's his name joke here ______) says keep Tebow and build a defense and we will be fine, but the realist fears Elway absolutely loves Luck and if there is someday of landing him it will happen.

If that does happen there will be a very divided fanbase. But I guess we're used to that.

OrangeHoof
01-03-2011, 04:10 PM
IF Luck is such an incredible "can't miss NFL ready QB" now...
he will be just that much more valuable in a year when he is seasoned longer in the collegiate ranks,
has won the Heisman, and has his degree.

It can't be both ways.... he can't be a "sure thing"... but he has a "shelf life" of one year

There is such a thing called injuries. You can't improve your draft position any higher than "1". I know the best players take out insurance policies (see McGahee, Willis) when they are expected to be a high draft choice but its a pittance of what a top QB would see from a long NFL career.

There's always the chance Luck could Leinart and no longer be seen as the hottest commodity of the draft if he stays at Stanford another year.

What's bigger for a player's ego - winning the Heisman Trophy or being the overall #1 pick in the NFL draft? He might stay and achieve both or he might stay, get injured, and achieve neither.

That's why the smart play is to come out when you know you'll be the top pick in the draft. Get the money and the ungodly contract now while it's there for you and then you can face the future with better financial security than the federal government.

gatorpower
01-03-2011, 04:11 PM
I suppose with a name like gatorpower, people automatically assume that I am a huge Gator fan, which I am. I am also a huge college football fan and adopted Stanford as my second team when they beat Southern Cal back in '07. I can not emphasize enough how great a coach Jim Harbaugh is. Stanford not only was full of suck before he took over, they were probably the worst team in any of the major conferences.

He made the competitive in every facet of the game, offense, defense and special teams. He's not exactly innovative, but he is probably the most fundamentally-sound coach in America and if he stays at Stanford, though that's not looking likely, they probably would have won a National Championship in the next 3 seasons. They're very entertaining to watch.

Also, having watched the games, Andrew Luck is an extremely good QB. He throws balls on a line and has tremendous range. He plays better than Peyton Manning did at Tennessee and, in the right circumstances (good running game, strong defense), he would excel in his first year not unlike Joe Flacco or Matt Ryan, but c'mon, Denver isn't there yet. And yes, I'm a Gator homer, but c'mon, Tebow is a game-breaker.

All the issues I see people fretting about have been experience and/or repetition issues. Give any QB time in this league and he'll be serviceable, even if he doesn't necessarily have the physical tools. Tebow has the physical tools, he just needs to grasp the mental side of it (like most rookies).

He was one tipped-pass away from two come-from-behind wins in his rookie season without a defense, nor any kind of running game, against the league's best offense and defense... and people want to bring in another rookie QB because they weren't happy with that? Why? Tebow could only score 3 touchdowns instead of 4? He could only single-handedly gain 299 total yards against a team only giving up a team average of 271.6 all season? Really? Not impressed? LOL

Even if I grant you that Luck is an 'A+', I would NOT grant you that Tebow is anywhere under a 'B' and he has an entire year head-start over Luck. Either get the best pass-rusher in the draft or trade down and get 2-3 high-round defensive players.

The New England Patriots, for what it's worth, is starting 4 rookies this year on defense. Devin McCourty, CB, (Round 1, #27), Jermaine Cunningham, LB, (Round 2, #21), Brandon Spikes, LB, (Round 2, #30) & Brandon Deaderick, DE, (Round 7, #40). They have have a pretty good team now, so it's POSSIBLE to reload in one draft.

DenBronx
01-03-2011, 04:14 PM
It looks like we are being more aggressive going after Harbaugh then the 49ers is what NFL network said.

I think he is our top choice for HC and a good one too!

Maybe Singletary would be a good fit for DC?

lgenf
01-03-2011, 04:18 PM
OMG there is some real far reaching thoughts in this topic...let's see if I can add some reality back to this.

Harbaugh if he goes (which there is a good possibility of) is going directly back to his alma mater (UM - Michigan that is)

UM is in disgrace - their AD already said he is going to wait and talk with Rich Rod this week - this week no Monday, not Tuesday (hmm why would that be, OH! because his next head coach is coaching in a bowl game Tuesday night and they can't talk before then or it's tampering

So that being set, let's look to the second part - Luck

He's going first round this year or next, but it won't matter

DON"T FORGET THE CBA!!!

yes that is right, the CBA, the thing that is going to change football this next year - Oh I think there will be pro football (the owners won't want to miss out on that paycheck) but don't kid yourself, there is going to be a rookie wage scale and gone will be the days of MONSTER pay outs for unproven NFL talent - so it won't matter if Luck comes out this year or next as the pay will be deminished greatly and Number 1 this year or Number 15 (if the guy has a crappy Senior year at Stanford) would be close enough that it's worth staying in school and getting the degree, because you're going to be a high draft pick next year also.

exhibit 1 - Locker - should have gone pro last year, got the BIG CASH and didn't, had a crappy year this year (but is still going first round this year) but thanks to the CBA (or the new one mind you) the rookie wage scale is going to greatly reduce the amount of cash he will see.

Luck did not have that option, his option is: come out this year and get some cash, or come out next year (maybe get the heisman, have your senior year, have your degree) and get a similar pay day next year

and lastly - as it was mentioned before - NO WAY IN HELL Carolina passes on QB1 (if he comes out) there is too much to gamble if you pass on him that he could have set you up with a franchise QB

Now as for the Broncos:

D FENSE

D FENSE

D FENSE

TE

RB

D FENSE

D FENSE

No way they are even considering trading TT - he's shown so much improvement in one year, and so much in 3 games already, that shows he will win in the NFL that they are happy they have him. He doesn't just fill a hole, he is a franchise QB (maybe not Manning or Brady - but who the hell is?) oh yeah, those guys. You think SD, NO, NYG, NYJ are looking for a QB in the draft? NOPE - they don't have Manning or Brady, but what they have is good enough that will a team around them, they can win, make the playoffs and get a run going maybe all the way to the SB.

that is what Denver has, get a good running game, get a good TE that can block when needed and catch a pass over the middle when needed (don't need Clark, just need someone that is good, not great) and get all the defense you can through free agency and drafts over the next two years.

No need to look at QB anymore, sorry TT detractors, he has earned the #1 spot and we will get a pick or two for Orton from Miami/Arizona/SF etc that is dying for a game manager/quality starting QB - right now today that has many of the other pieces in place already.

Lancane
01-03-2011, 04:19 PM
It looks like we are being more aggressive going after Harbaugh then the 49ers is what NFL network said.

I think he is our top choice for HC and a good one too!

Maybe Singletary would be a good fit for DC?

According to what I've heard, Elway is planning on have a friendly feeler discussion with Harbaugh today or later this evening and see where his interest level is. If he really wants to come here, I wouldn't be surprised if an offer was on the table come Thursday of this week.

F' Singletary, his attitude has caused issues in San Fran, I think we need to be away from those highstrung with such character issues; see Josh McDaniels for further reference.

:D

DenBronx
01-03-2011, 04:25 PM
According to what I've heard, Elway is planning on have a friendly feeler discussion with Harbaugh today or later this evening and see where his interest level is. If he really wants to come here, I wouldn't be surprised if an offer was on the table come Thursday of this week.

F' Singletary, his attitude has caused issues in San Fran, I think we need to be away from those highstrung with such character issues; see Josh McDaniels for further reference.

yeah they are meeting later tonight is what was reported. could be just a friendly discussion but i have a feeling elway will make a pitch to harbaugh tonight.

anyone who says harbaugh would rather be a head coach of michigan over an nfl franchise isnt using their brain. the michigan talk is all heresay at this point.

on singletary, he actually did very well as a dc in baltimore. some guys just are not cut out to be hc's in this league but make incredible dc's or oc's. he knows both 4-3 and 3-4 defenses so he could use alot of the players we have here without completely getting rid of everyone. he might pull the best out of all of our linebackers too. he will have no say over personel so he might be worth a shot.

robert ethan
01-03-2011, 04:26 PM

McDaniels never had an "attitude". The players all loved him and still do. I challenge you to find one negative remark about Josh from the players, even after he was fired.

DenBronx
01-03-2011, 04:31 PM
McDaniels never had an "attitude". The players all loved him and still do. I challenge you to find one negative remark about Josh from the players, even after he was fired.

lol...players hated him. have you not been paying attention these last two years?

ever see a franchise qb demand a trade? a starting te speak out in front of the whole team then get benched? hillis?

cmon now...everyone on the team saw what he did and knew they could be shipped next if the spoke out.

good try though. :welcome:

lgenf
01-03-2011, 04:33 PM
anyone who says harbaugh would rather be a head coach of michigan over an nfl franchise isnt using their brain. .

Ask Spurier about that.........

In the NFL he is not a proven coach, he will at most get 3 years to completely turn around any team (most likely 2), and if he does it then he is safe, if he doesn't he will be gone with no OC or DC positions open to him because he hasn't proven a thing.

In college he will get at least 4 to 5 years to turn around Michigan - he loves the school and in college it's about the coach so if he wants the NFL it will still be there in 5 years (they always fire HC's in the off season)

one thing is for sure, he is defintely going somewhere - just check with that Rutgers coach about not striking while the iron is hot. He's now stuck at that school and they suck so by default so does he.

Lancane

Hillis said his wife was too tight!

No one has to find anything Ethan, this is the Broncos board, not the McDaniels board, the little shit is gone, no longer a part of this team. And the players didn't have to say a damn word, the fact the coaches turned on him and a couple of them reported how he treated the staff...I think I'll take their word for it.

TXBRONC
yeah they are meeting later tonight is what was reported. could be just a friendly discussion but i have a feeling elway will make a pitch to harbaugh tonight.

anyone who says harbaugh would rather be a head coach of michigan over an nfl franchise isnt using their brain. the michigan talk is all heresay at this point.

on singletary, he actually did very well as a dc in baltimore. some guys just are not cut out to be hc's in this league but make incredible dc's or oc's. he knows both 4-3 and 3-4 defenses so he could use alot of the players we have here without completely getting rid of everyone. he might pull the best out of all of our linebackers too. he will have no say over personel so he might be worth a shot.

I thought someone said he didn't have any experience as a d.c.

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Ask Spurier about that.........

In the NFL he is not a proven coach, he will at most get 3 years to completely turn around any team (most likely 2), and if he does it then he is safe, if he doesn't he will be gone with no OC or DC positions open to him because he hasn't proven a thing.

In college he will get at least 4 to 5 years to turn around Michigan - he loves the school and in college it's about the coach so if he wants the NFL it will still be there in 5 years (they always fire HC's in the off season)

one thing is for sure, he is defintely going somewhere - just check with that Rutgers coach about not striking while the iron is hot. He's now stuck at that school and they suck so by default so does he.

Neither was Spurrier but he left his alma mater to go to the NFL.

tomjonesrocks
01-03-2011, 04:37 PM
If the Broncos draft Luck I hope they move Tebow to TE rather than trade him. Doubt the scenario is likely and I have liked some of what I have seen from Tebow--though the first half of yesterday's game was scary. Dude couldn't hit the side if a barn with his throws--haven't seen a more inaccurate performance since JaMarcus.

lgenf
01-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Neither was Spurrier but he left his almatuer to go to the NFL.

that was my point - and after doing that, he lasted two years and was gone with not a single door open to him in the NFL

DenBronx
01-03-2011, 04:40 PM
new report on harbaugh

Not long before Rosenthal posted a recent item regarding the possible inability of potential 49ers G.M. Trent Baalke and potential head coach Jim Harbaugh to coexist, a league source was expressing to us a very strong feeling/hunch that Harbaugh would be paired not with Baalke but with NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi.

“Lombardi and Harbaugh have a close relationship,” the source said, pointing out that they worked together in Oakland. “I think Lombardi is ending up there.”

Lombardi was interviewed last week, and he later declared that Baalke will be getting the job. It meshes with what everyone else in league circles has believed — that the parade of unemployed front-office types to interview for the G.M. position was aimed at creating the impression that the team was doing its due diligence, and that Baalke eventually would be getting the gig.

read the rest here. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/03/harbaugh-lombardi-could-be-the-one-two-punch-in-san-fran/

DenBronx
01-03-2011, 04:42 PM
They have been reporting everything about BLACK MONDAY today on NFL network and spoke a little bit about the Broncos HC situation.

It might come down to 3 choices.

Harbaugh
Fassel
Malaurkey

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 04:43 PM
that was my point - and after doing that, he lasted two years and was gone with not a single door open to him in the NFL

Ok so there wasn't a opening right away did one evenutally open and he took the job?

DenBronx
01-03-2011, 04:44 PM
I thought someone said he didn't have any experience as a d.c.

he might have only been the linebackers coach and not dc.

who else is out there that knows a 3-4?

lgenf
01-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Ok so there wasn't a opening right away did one evenutally open and he took the job?

yeah, in college

Lancane
01-03-2011, 04:46 PM
They have been reporting everything about BLACK MONDAY today on NFL network and spoke a little bit about the Broncos HC situation.

It might come down to 3 choices.

Harbaugh
Fassel
Malaurkey

I told people Fassel was in the mix. I'm not big on Mularkey either, I'd be surprised if Nolan nor Rivera didn't get a look as well.

tomjonesrocks
01-03-2011, 04:48 PM
If it comes down to the 49ers or Broncos for Harbaugh I don't know why he would come to Denver. The 49ers are far more talented (which is true of all NFL teams short of Carolina) and it's a CA job.

So my money is on Fassel because no one else wants him.

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 04:50 PM
yeah, in college

Yes where he belongs. Harbaugh might good fit for the NFL, he wont know and neither unless he tries it.

DenBronx
01-03-2011, 04:50 PM
I told people Fassel was in the mix. I'm not big on Mularkey either, I'd be surprised if Nolan nor Rivera didn't get a look as well.

Rivera would be a double edged sword.

We take him away from San Diego and ruin the chemistry of the #1 defense.

And we get a defensive minded HC who is most likely to hang on to Tebow and finally pay attention to our DLINE.

Rivera would be my choice.

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 04:55 PM
If it comes down to the 49ers or Broncos for Harbaugh I don't know why he would come to Denver. The 49ers are far more talented (which is true of all NFL teams short of Carolina) and it's a CA job.

So my money is on Fassel because no one else wants him.

Schwartz took the job in Detroit and they were in worse shape than we are.

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 05:01 PM
DELETED

If you can't get your point across without attacking then you've already lost the argument.

dogfish
01-03-2011, 05:09 PM
he might have only been the linebackers coach and not dc.

who else is out there that knows a 3-4?

his DC from san fran, greg manusky, might be available. . . wade philips, eric mangini, todd bowles, possibly nolan if the staff in miami gets fired. . . and pittsburgh LB coach kevin butler would be a good candidate for a promotion. . .

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 05:16 PM
his DC from san fran, greg manusky, might be available. . . wade philips, eric mangini, todd bowles, possibly nolan if the staff in miami gets fired. . . and pittsburgh LB coach kevin butler would be a good candidate for a promotion. . .

If Butler is anything like LeBeau that would be cool.

lgenf
01-03-2011, 05:16 PM
it was just being talked about on ESPN

Harbaugh is either going to UM or SF

its only going to be SF IF and only IF SF can make it worth his while, otherwise he is going to UM

DenBronx
01-03-2011, 05:18 PM

a harbaugh/nolan tandem would be great. lets hope the overhaul in miami. i think nolan would consider coming back now that jmcd is gone.

no to wade or mangini. too soft.

Andrew Mason
01-06-2011, 12:12 AM
I said that would prove him to be, usually Mason is pretty solid...he has his moments, but what journalist/columnist doesn't? Point is that according to most of the talking heads around the league, Carolina plans to go the assistant coach route, and with them having Rivera scheduled for an interview already? That points to the opposite of what he's saying.

In all seriousness, I never said that Carolina planned to go the head-coach route. I looked back at all my Tweets to confirm. I have noted that the Broncos are more likely to look at past head coaches, though, something Elway admitted today would be the case "unless a coordinator that we decide to go interview is extraordinary."

If you're going to call me inept, fine. But at least call me out on something I actually wrote.

Simple Jaded
01-06-2011, 03:15 AM
I love the idea. But why would Carolina want Tim Tebow (Period) when they could have Andrew Luck? You're gonna have to sweeten the pot a little more than that.

You're probably looking at #2 and both 2nd rounders just to get them to take you seriously.......worth every bit of it though.......

BCJ
01-06-2011, 04:08 AM
Pete Carol :confused:

He has all USC players on his team......i think

He could have traded for Matt Leinart and passed on it.