PDA

View Full Version : John Elway to scout Stanford's Jim Harbaugh at Orange Bowl?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Maybe while they're in Miami together, John Elway and Jim Harbaugh can share a coffee or an orange or something.

Elway, who will be announced Wednesday as the new boss of the Broncos' football operations, will attend the Orange Bowl game Monday night at Miami.

He is one of Stanford's most famous alums. Even though Elway was long ago invited by Stanford dignitaries to serve as the team's honorary captain for the bowl game against Virginia Tech, his proximity to Harbaugh, the Cardinal's coach, will incite fervent discussion.

Elway is helping to lead the Broncos' search for a new head coach. And Harbaugh is by far the hottest coaching candidate this offseason.

With the bowl game Monday night and Elway's inauguration as Broncos football boss Wednesday that leaves Tuesday for the two former quarterbacks to get together and, you know, discuss.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16995432

Lancane
01-02-2011, 11:04 PM
And so it begins...

honz
01-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Or maybe he is scouting Luck! Or maybe he is a Stanford legend simply being an honorary captain!

Lancane
01-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Or maybe he is scouting Luck! Or maybe he is a Stanford legend simply being an honorary captain!

Team insiders have already confirmed that Harbaugh is a candidate for the head coaching position.

So...how about the 'The Jimmy-Jimbo' Staff

Jim Harbaugh - Head Coach
Jim Fassel - Assistant Head Coach & Offensive Coordinator
Jim Herrmann - Defensive Coordinator
Jim Salgado - Special Teams Coordinator

:lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Team insiders have already confirmed that Harbaugh is a candidate for the head coaching position.

So...how about the 'The Jimmy-Jimbo' Staff

Jim Harbaugh - Head Coach
Jim Fassel - Assistant Head Coach & Offensive Coordinator
Jim Herrmann - Defensive Coordinator
Jim Salgado - Special Teams Coordinator

AND - order jimmy johns for lunch :lol:

Queenlizzie13
01-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Apparently Harbaugh likes TT. See this post:
http://www.onlygators.com/06/07/2010/tebow-adds-more-supporters-lofty-comparisons/#ixzz19wL662lR

Of course, seeing as it is from a Gators website, I would also take the article with a grain of salt. It is possible Harbaugh would want Luck assuming the Broncos could get him. But, I think it is important to have the next head coach believe in TT, if that is the direction we go for QB.

And it sounds like from that article anyways, that Harbaugh believes in TT.

DenBronx
01-03-2011, 12:26 AM
http://www.onlygators.com/06/07/2010/tebow-adds-more-supporters-lofty-comparisons/#ixzz19wL662lR

Of course, seeing as it is from a Gators website, I would also take the article with a grain of salt. It is possible Harbaugh would want Luck assuming the Broncos could get him. But, I think it is important to have the next head coach believe in TT, if that is the direction we go for QB.

Well he was quoted saying that so I wouldn't discredit it even if it was from a Gator site. Sounds like Harbaugh really likes TT and compared him to Young. Could be a good match if Harbaugh came in and took the time to develop him.

So Tebow would have Elway AND Harbaugh to help him.

Lancane
01-03-2011, 12:27 AM

Well that gives me some positive feelings if we do hire Harbaugh. Better then "What the F' were they thinking" like that douche Mel Kiper. I swear I want to take a pair of hair clippers to him on national television.

silkamilkamonico
01-03-2011, 12:52 AM
:pray:

BroncoWave
01-03-2011, 01:11 AM
AND - order jimmy johns for lunch :lol:

And trade for Jimmy Clausen! :D

(i kid, i kid)

BroncoStud
01-03-2011, 01:29 AM
I would be just fine with Jim Harbaugh, he's done a great job at Stanford, you can't give the guy enough credit for the job he's done there.

Lancane
01-03-2011, 01:31 AM
I would be just fine with Jim Harbaugh, he's done a great job at Stanford, you can't give the guy enough credit for the job he's done there.

However, if he loses to Virginia Tech then I don't want his ass near this team. :lol:

BroncoStud
01-03-2011, 01:31 AM
However, if he loses to Virginia Tech then I don't want his ass near this team. :lol:

Yeah, that would be bad. :defense:

pipes
01-03-2011, 01:38 AM
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Buff
01-03-2011, 01:42 AM
Harbaugh is going to take the Michigan job when it comes open I think.

Lancane
01-03-2011, 01:44 AM
Harbaugh is going to take the Michigan job when it comes open I think.

And that might be what happens, but Elway will throw his pitch anyways...can't fault him for trying.

zbeg
01-03-2011, 03:08 AM
And that might be what happens, but Elway will throw his pitch anyways...can't fault him for trying.

Not really a good track record of hotshot college coaches transitioning to the NFL recently.

Nick Saban and Bobby Petrino's douchebaggery aside (and unquestionable failures), you still have Steve Spurrier, Butch Davis, and Dennis Erickson. Did I overlook anyone?

I guess Pete Carroll did just win a division title tonight, but somehow that doesn't seem legit for some reason. Can't put my finger on it.

And there's probably an actual reason, not just correlating two unrelated things based on small sample size, like "no quarterback with an alliterative name has done well in the NFL!" (it's true; look it up - TEBOW IS DOOMED), but because the college game is quite different than the NFL, and the skills that are valuable in college (specifically the ability to recruit high school kids) are not particularly valuable in the NFL.

The best coaches seem to come from the ranks of other NFL teams, where presumably they're better-equipped and have more exposure to the rigors and the demands of the NFL, as opposed to going from college to the pros, which is a much bigger (and starkly different) transition.

I'd stay away from Harbaugh; the track record for college coaches isn't good, and there appears to be good reason for that.

dogfish
01-03-2011, 04:56 AM
Maybe while they're in Miami together, John Elway and Jim Harbaugh can share a coffee or an orange or something.

or maybe a handle of jaeger and a half-dozen south beach hookers-- that's how the big boys roll. . .

bigtimebronco
01-03-2011, 05:09 AM
MIAMI -- Former Stanford star John Elway has accepted a front-office position with the Denver Broncos and will discuss their coaching vacancy with Stanford's Jim Harbaugh, according to an ESPN report.
Elway, who won two Super Bowls in Denver, is expected to attend today's Orange Bowl as an honorary Stanford captain. The ESPN report did not specify when, or even if, Elway and Harbaugh will meet in Miami.

http://www.mercurynews.com/stanford-cardinal/ci_16995222?nclick_check=1

BigDaddyBronco
01-03-2011, 07:46 AM
Not really a good track record of hotshot college coaches transitioning to the NFL recently.

Nick Saban and Bobby Petrino's douchebaggery aside (and unquestionable failures), you still have Steve Spurrier, Butch Davis, and Dennis Erickson. Did I overlook anyone?

I guess Pete Carroll did just win a division title tonight, but somehow that doesn't seem legit for some reason. Can't put my finger on it.

And there's probably an actual reason, not just correlating two unrelated things based on small sample size, like "no quarterback with an alliterative name has done well in the NFL!" (it's true; look it up - TEBOW IS DOOMED), but because the college game is quite different than the NFL, and the skills that are valuable in college (specifically the ability to recruit high school kids) are not particularly valuable in the NFL.

The best coaches seem to come from the ranks of other NFL teams, where presumably they're better-equipped and have more exposure to the rigors and the demands of the NFL, as opposed to going from college to the pros, which is a much bigger (and starkly different) transition.

I'd stay away from Harbaugh; the track record for college coaches isn't good, and there appears to be good reason for that.
Jimmy Johnson of course, but he really liked the rebuilding process, and Jerry Jones allowed him to have a terrible year before wanting to win.

Bobby Ross is another, he did well with the Chargers after comming from Georgia Tech.

But these are rare exceptions.

zbeg
01-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Jimmy Johnson of course, but he really liked the rebuilding process, and Jerry Jones allowed him to have a terrible year before wanting to win.

Bobby Ross is another, he did well with the Chargers after comming from Georgia Tech.

But these are rare exceptions.

Yeah, I was thinking of guys in recent years. Tom Coughlin too, from Boston College. But Coughlin, Ross, and Jimmy Johnson were decades ago. In the last fifteen or so years, I can't think of any.

(I don't count Barry Switzer FWIW - even though he won a SB. Mostly because it was pretty clear he was riding the coattails of Jimmy Johnson's ridiculous roster left in place when JJ left.)

WARHORSE
01-03-2011, 08:25 AM
According to this article in the Washington Post, Luck is waiting to see what Harbaugh is going to do.

Good read on the kid.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/01/AR2011010102394_2.html

SOCALORADO.
01-03-2011, 09:21 AM
According to this article in the Washington Post, Luck is waiting to see what Harbaugh is going to do.

Good read on the kid.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/01/AR2011010102394_2.html

If Elway is making his pitch to Harbaugh, then Harbaugh will want to bring in Luck. I like that Harbaugh likes TT, but he has developed Luck in every way.
DEN is gonna have to give up alot to move up 1 spot.

TXBRONC
01-03-2011, 10:10 AM
If Elway is making his pitch to Harbaugh, then Harbaugh will want to bring in Luck. I like that Harbaugh likes TT, but he has developed Luck in every way.
DEN is gonna have to give up alot to move up 1 spot.

If Denver brought in Harbaugh hope he wouldn't as short sighted as his predecessor.