PDA

View Full Version : What more do you need to see?

Clipworthy
01-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Secondary!!!

Did anyone watch the game??

We need to be able to defend the pass and avoid big plays... and get turnovers!!

D line played well compared to the DB's..........

-------Patrick Peterson campaign chairman--------

EMB6903
01-02-2011, 09:05 PM
If Peterson were clearly the best prospect I'd say take him.. But him and Bowers are both Elite prospects and Denver needs much more help in the front 7 than at CB.

honz
01-02-2011, 09:07 PM
We may have the worst pass rush in the league. /thread

Northman
01-02-2011, 09:07 PM
When Denver can start to stop the run then we can worry about the secondary.

Clipworthy
01-02-2011, 09:09 PM
If Peterson were clearly the best prospect I'd say take him.. But him and Bowers are both Elite prospects and Denver needs much more help in the front 7 than at CB.

But we arn't even officially a 4-3 team.... these top D lineman do not fit in our system as of now.... the way dumervil plays makes it tough to say we switch

and I'd say our secondary is in more need than the D line.... bannan and williams played rather welll yet again today, the runs that killed them were bad secondary tackling and ayers playing like this was the first time he's played the game of football

We got lit up when it mattered in the secondary...and our front 7 stepped up when it mattered against the run

----Patrick Peterson-----

EMB6903
01-02-2011, 09:11 PM
But we arn't even officially a 4-3 team.... these top D lineman do not fit in our system as of now.... the way dumervil plays makes it tough to say we switch

and I'd say our secondary is in more need than the D line.... bannan and williams played rather welll yet again today, the runs that killed them were bad secondary tackling and ayers playing like this was the first time he's played the game of football

We got lit up when it mattered in the secondary...and our front 7 stepped up when it mattered against the run

dont care... not worried about the scheme Denver has now. Just worried about drafting the best defensive player available which is Daquan Bowers.

Dont be surprised if you start hearing the Mario Williams/ Julius Peppers comparisons with Bowers... Hes a freak prospect.

honz
01-02-2011, 09:13 PM

Our front 7 hasn't even rolled up into the fetal position when it has mattered against the run in the last 5 years or so, let alone step up.

Clipworthy
01-02-2011, 09:13 PM
dont care... not worried about the scheme Denver has now. Just worried about drafting the best defensive player available which is Daquan Bowers.

Dont be surprised if you start hearing the Mario Williams/ Julius Peppers comparisons with Bowers... Hes a freak prospect.

Completely agree that he is a freak.... the D line equivalent of Peterson.... but he does not fit our system......... drafting him would mean an entire defensive overhaul to 4-3.... which will make rebuilding much much harder

he has no chance at playing D line in 3-4, and highly unlikely that he stands up at olb

EMB6903
01-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Completely agree that he is a freak.... the D line equivalent of Peterson.... but he does not fit our system......... drafting him would mean an entire defensive overhaul to 4-3.... which will make rebuilding much much harder

he has no chance at playing D line in 3-4, and highly unlikely that he stands up at olb

What system?

Denver doesnt know what defensive scheme they are going to be in next year..I kinda hope for a tampa 2 scheme

Even in a 3-4 I think Bowers could play as a 5 technique in. He will get bigger and hes already scary strong.

You are right though... Peterson is a beast, Between him Dareus and Bowers I really dont care who Denver drafts. I think it will be Bowers though because how much hype hes going to recieve in the next couple of months.

Clipworthy
01-02-2011, 09:15 PM
What system?

Denver doesnt know what defensive scheme they are going to be in next year..

they are completely invested into 3-4...personnel wise.... it would require a LOT of work to shift to a 4-3, maybe too much to make it worth while

EMB6903
01-02-2011, 09:19 PM
they are completely invested into 3-4...personnel wise.... it would require a LOT of work to shift to a 4-3, maybe too much to make it worth while

What players have they completely invested into the 3-4 scheme?

Dumervil could play with his hand on the ground, hes proven that. Most scouts think Ayers was a better fit in the 4-3 as well, DJ has proven to be a much better Will linebacker in a 4-3.

I think Denver still has the personel of a 4-3 defense trying to play a 3-4 scheme.

Clipworthy
01-02-2011, 09:20 PM
What system?

You are right though... Peterson is a beast, Between him Dareus and Bowers I really dont care who Denver drafts. I think it will be Bowers though because how much hype hes going to recieve in the next couple of months.

A lot of crazy talent available, but Peterson will bring an impact to our defense that we are soooo desperate for.... turnovers

zbeg
01-02-2011, 09:22 PM
A lot of crazy talent available, but Peterson will bring an impact to our defense that we are soooo desperate for.... turnovers

It's hard for a DB to force turnovers when the other team can hand the ball off and watch it go for 40 yards.

honz
01-02-2011, 09:23 PM

4-3 front 7 defenders on our roster right now:

DT: Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan, Marcus Thomas, Vickerson, Ronald Fields

DE: Ayers, Doom, Hunter, Veikune

LB: DJ, Woodyard, Haagan

And before you say not all of these guys fit into a 4-3 scheme, um...judging by this year, I don't think they fit all that well into the 3-4 scheme either. Yes, we would have to make some personnel changes defensively, but this D will likely be gutted whether we stay with the 3-4 or not.

Lancane
01-02-2011, 09:24 PM

If you can not put pressure on the quarterback then he can wait and bide his time and wait for an opening. And if you put pressure on a quarterback then he is more likely to make mistakes and throw the ball off target and it gives defenders the chance to make a play on the ball.

Clipworthy
01-02-2011, 09:25 PM
It's hard for a DB to force turnovers when the other team can hand the ball off and watch it go for 40 yards.

nice reasoning... a 40 yard gain is the blame of the D line..... the safeties and corners need to be able to not allow the back to get that far

Lancane
01-02-2011, 09:26 PM

And before you say not all of these guys fit into a 4-3 scheme, um...judging by this year, I don't think they fit all that well into the 3-4 scheme either. Yes, we would have to make some personnel changes defensively, but this D will likely be gutted whether we stay with the 3-4 or not.

You do understand Honz that Dumervil was last weighed in at 246lbs. correct? Neither he nor Veikune are the size that you look for in 4-3 defensive ends. I'm fine going to the 4-3, but Dumervil is now a linebacker and may deserve a look at the mike position in such a defense.

EMB6903
01-02-2011, 09:28 PM

Good post. I think Ayers, DJ, Thomas, Fields, Woodyard are better in a 4-3 scheme. Woodyards rookie year with Denver in a 4-3 he dominated.. hasnt been doing much since.

EMB6903
01-02-2011, 09:29 PM
You do understand Honz that Dumervil was last weighed in at 246lbs. correct? Neither he nor Veikune are the size that you look for in 4-3 defensive ends. I'm fine going to the 4-3, but Dumervil is now a linebacker and may deserve a look at the mike position in such a defense.

There is no way Dumervil is a mike linebacker.

Hes a pass rusher. whether its a DE or 3-4 OLB.

nice reasoning... a 40 yard gain is the blame of the D line..... the safeties and corners need to be able to not allow the back to get that far

Very true.. most of the time these big yard gains have to due with the safeties not being able to come up and make the tackle.

safety play has been horrendous this year

Mike
01-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Peterson is tempting. But we have needed real talent at the DT position for a decade. Denver has to address the DT position.

zbeg
01-02-2011, 09:39 PM

If the opposing running back is consistently getting to third level and you're relying on your secondary to stop them in the running game, you're doing it wrong.

BeefStew25
01-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Hal? What does all this mean, Hal?

http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsM/11172-6196.gif

Nomad
01-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Draft Peterson then maybe we can start getting more LSU fans here!!:D j/k

Though I love watching Peterson (I'm hoping he stays his senior year at LSU which I know won't happen), we need a beast at the dline unless we can get that in FA!!

honz
01-02-2011, 09:44 PM

Dumervil had 13 sacks as a DE. He lined up on the LOS with his hand on the ground on nearly every play under Mike Nolan. Doom is a pass rushing DE, he is not a LB. Neither is Ayers. Veikune probably won't be here next year, but he COULD play DE...was thought to be a better fit as a DE coming out of Hawaii.

Lancane
01-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Dumervil had 13 sacks as a DE. He lined up on the LOS with his hand on the ground on nearly every play under Mike Nolan. Doom is a pass rushing DE, he is not a LB. Neither is Ayers. Veikune probably won't be here next year, but he COULD play DE...was thought to be a better fit as a DE coming out of Hawaii.

Dumervil weighed in at 246lbs. not long ago, over twenty pounds lighter then when he played defensive end for us! Name another 246lbs. 4-3 defensive end in this league? That's about as screwballed as thinking Ayers is a true 3-4 rush linebacker. Joe Mays is 5'11 245lbs., almost exactly the same size as Doom. D.J. Williams is 6'1 242lbs., Mario Haggan is closer to being a 4-3 defensive end then Dumervil is now, he's what 6'3 268lbs.

Dumervil is no longer the ideal size to play the damn position, I wish people could get that through their heads. He's only four pounds heavier then Zach Thomas was playing at the mike position. I guess you want to move Joe Mays to defensive end and D.J. Williams as well? Veikune is at least 257lbs. what are we going to ask Doom to add twenty to twenty five pounds back on? If Champ Bailey suddenly added twenty to twenty five pounds on would you ask him to still play the corner position though his size was a better indication for the safety position? Jarvis Moss weighed 260lbs. and sucked in the 4-3, but let's be honest...he just sucked. I don't see Dumervil moving to the defensive end position should we switch to the 4-3 and I think he'd be a pretty good mike linebacker to be honest. He can be no worse then Haggan and he could be better then Williams given time, look at Thomas.

Clipworthy
01-02-2011, 10:27 PM

Dumervil played on the line for pass rushing plays....not in a base defense.....not nearly big enough to impact the run at DE

honz
01-02-2011, 10:29 PM
If Dumervil had bulked up to 260+ before, I'm guessing he can do it again. Besides, weight doesn't mean everything...just look at good ol' Tom Nalen...leverage, technique, motor, etc. all matter just as much. You said it yourself...Jarvis Moss sucked at 230 and he still sucked at 260.

EMB6903
01-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Dumervil played on the line for pass rushing plays....not in a base defense.....not nearly big enough to impact the run at DE

Dumervil was a starter for Shanahan who played a 4-3 defense.

Lancane
01-02-2011, 10:32 PM

And that was when he was at 267lbs., hell, we expect him to play defensive end in the 4-3 and get treated like little Molly's ragdoll now.

Clipworthy
01-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Dumervil was a starter for Shanahan who played a 4-3 defense.

yeah, and dumervil was a "star".... couldn't even get playing time

honz
01-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Even if Doom can't play full time as a DE, don't stick with the 3-4 due to one player on your team. Trade him if you have to. I don't want to see that, but he's not the only pass rusher in this league and definitely won't be the last.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2011, 10:36 PM
If Denver spends any of its first 3 picks on anything but front 7, I'll be disappointed and it will show that they still have no intention of trying to put together a winning franchise. Games are won and lost in the trenches with defense. Nothing else matters as much. If your front 7 can stop the run and rush the passer effectively, it really doesn't matter who your secondary players are.

The Giants, Patriots, Colts, Steelers (except for Polamalu) and Chicago Bears have been doing it for years. Pressure the QB regularly with your defensive front and don't rely on your safeties and CBs to make all the tackles in the running game and you win football games.

EMB6903
01-02-2011, 10:36 PM

He did have one year with double digit sacks and recorded 25 sacks overall in the 3 years he played in a 4-3.

honz
01-02-2011, 10:37 PM
What? He had 13 sacks in a year under Shanny. Broke his hand the next year and had a down year. Came back the next year under Nolan and had 17 sacks. He has had success as both a LB and a DE.

honz
01-02-2011, 10:38 PM
If Denver spends any of its first 3 picks on anything but front 7, I'll be disappointed and it will show that they still have no intention of trying to put together a winning franchise. Games are won and lost in the trenches with defense. Nothing else matters as much. If your front 7 can stop the run and rush the passer effectively, it really doesn't matter who your secondary players are.

The Giants, Patriots, Colts, Steelers (except for Polamalu) and Chicago Bears have been doing it for years. Pressure the QB regularly with your defensive front and don't rely on your safeties and CBs to make all the tackles in the running game and you win football games.
I hear you, but we could really use a young stud at safety as well.

Lancane
01-02-2011, 10:38 PM
If Dumervil had bulked up to 260+ before, I'm guessing he can do it again. Besides, weight doesn't mean everything...just look at good ol' Tom Nalen...leverage, technique, motor, etc. all matter just as much. You said it yourself...Jarvis Moss sucked at 230 and he still sucked at 260.

Tom Nalen weighed 287lbs. in a zone blocking scheme? Where the average for offensive lineman was 290lbs., wow...go figure the weight differential on that one! Big difference bro, a real big difference. Twenty pounds compared to three? Dumervil has proven more solid as a linebacker, no matter that it was at the rush linebacker position and now we should ask him to beef up again and go back to defensive end. While we're at it we should call Dawkins that tell him to add ten pounds so he can play at the outside linebacker spot.

:lol:

EMB6903
01-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Dumervil could def gain 15-20 pounds if hes asked to..

PAINTERDAVE
01-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Here's an idea...
let's hire a Head Coach and see what he thinks....

(Is this the way the threads will all be until April?)

Lancane
01-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Dumervil could def gain 15-20 pounds if hes asked to..

And what if the next defensive coordinator wanted to give him a shot at the mike linebacker spot? Maybe he doesn't want to add another twenty or so pounds back on? Then trade D.J. Williams and use that pick to add another outside linebacker in the draft. Or trade both, but don't expect that just because you feel he can do it that it will happen.

Clipworthy
01-02-2011, 10:44 PM
honestly, i can't stand 4-3

EMB6903
01-02-2011, 10:44 PM
And what if the next defensive coordinator wanted to give him a shot at the mike linebacker spot? Maybe he doesn't want to add another twenty or so pounds back on? Then trade D.J. Williams and use that pick to add another outside linebacker in the draft. Or trade both, but don't expect that just because you feel he can do it that it will happen.

I think putting Dumervil (one of the best edge rushers in the game) at Mike linebacker is a very dumb idea. I think youre basing where he could play off how much he wieghs and not what type of player he is.

Dumervil would be a much better 4-3 end then a 4-3 linebacker IMO.

Clipworthy
01-02-2011, 10:46 PM
I think putting Dumervil (one of the best edge rushers in the game) at Mike linebacker is a very dumb idea. I think youre basing where he could play off how much he wieghs and not what type of player he is.

Yeah dumervil at MLB is pointless....hes a pass rusher through and through

EMB6903
01-02-2011, 10:46 PM
honestly, i can't stand 4-3

I cant stand watching a team try playing a 3-4 defense without a dominant nose tackle.

Clipworthy
01-02-2011, 10:48 PM
I cant stand watching a team try playing a 3-4 defense without a dominant nose tackle.

newsflash, Fairley isn't a NT

Ziggy
01-02-2011, 10:49 PM

I would settle for a decent young nose tackle at this point. Paul Soliai sure would look good in the orange and blue.

dogfish
01-02-2011, 10:54 PM
A lot of crazy talent available, but Alphonso Smith will bring an impact to our defense that we are soooo desperate for.... turnovers

sound familiar?

actually, people have been touting the need for better corners to force more turnovers back to the bailey trade. . . when in actuality what we need is an aggressive DC, not different corners. . .

so ironic. . .

what teams have the most interceptions this year?

1. new england
2. green bay
3. philadelphia
4. atlanta
5. chicago

there's a grand total of one all-world corner between the five of 'em, and none of the truly elite safeties. . . the teams that do have the all-world corners?

the jets and raiders are tied for 25th in interceptions, and we're 30th. . . but yea, we need to spend #2 overall on a corner so we can get more interceptions-- brilliant. . .

Lancane
01-02-2011, 11:03 PM

Opinions vary! :D

EMB6903
01-02-2011, 11:14 PM
newsflash, Fairley isn't a NT

who said he was?

Fairley hasnt been mentioned once in this thread until you brought him up.

Clipworthy
01-02-2011, 11:16 PM
who said he was?

Fairley hasnt been mentioned once in this thread until you brought him up.

thats who everyone here wants

Northman
01-02-2011, 11:23 PM
.and our front 7 stepped up when it mattered against the run

Bwhahahahaha,

So give up over a 100 yds and 3 TD's on the ground to just Matthews is considered stepping up? Bhwhaahahahahhaha

Lancane
01-02-2011, 11:24 PM
thats who everyone here wants

If we drafted Fairley it would either to play defensive tackle in the 4-3 or defensive end in the 3-4...not nose tackle.

Clipworthy
01-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Bwhahahahaha,

So give up over a 100 yds and 3 TD's on the ground to just Matthews is considered stepping up? Bhwhaahahahahhaha

the runs he got were bad tackling by the DB's and LB's the D LINE STEPPED UP AND MADE PLAYS TODAY

Northman
01-02-2011, 11:25 PM
sound familiar?

actually, people have been touting the need for better corners to force more turnovers back to the bailey trade. . . when in actuality what we need is an aggressive DC, not different corners. . .

so ironic. . .

what teams have the most interceptions this year?

1. new england
2. green bay
3. philadelphia
4. atlanta
5. chicago

there's a grand total of one all-world corner between the five of 'em, and none of the truly elite safeties. . . the teams that do have the all-world corners?

the jets and raiders are tied for 25th in interceptions, and we're 30th. . . but yea, we need to spend #2 overall on a corner so we can get more interceptions-- brilliant. . .

That one is going to hurt.

dogfish
01-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Bwhahahahaha,

dude, our defense is championship-caliber-- it's just the lack of INTs from the corners holding us back. . .

BroncoWave
01-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Secondary!!!

Did anyone watch the game??

We need to be able to defend the pass and avoid big plays... and get turnovers!!

D line played well compared to the DB's..........

-------Patrick Peterson campaign chairman--------

Have you watched the Broncos for the past 7 years? If so you would have realized that having an elite CB has not even come close to giving us an elite defense with our front 7 being so bad in that timeframe.

The Broncos are idiots if they draft Peterson.

Northman
01-02-2011, 11:29 PM
the runs he got were bad tackling by the DB's and LB's the D LINE STEPPED UP AND MADE PLAYS TODAY

Your out of your mind. If the Dline had stepped up he wouldnt of made it to the DB's!

Northman
01-02-2011, 11:31 PM
dude, our defense is championship-caliber-- it's just the lack of INTs from the corners holding us back. . .

I really hate these johnny come lately's who have absolutely no clue what the **** they are talking about. Its as if they havent paid attention to this team for the last 10 years. Omazing.

Montana Battlin Bear
01-02-2011, 11:32 PM
I see BUST written all over Bowers.

Clipworthy
01-03-2011, 03:17 AM
Your out of your mind. If the Dline had stepped up he wouldnt of made it to the DB's!

D line clogs the LOS. not the D lines fault when the LB's and secondary can't make the tackles

dogfish
01-03-2011, 03:32 AM
D line clogs the LOS. not the D lines fault when the LB's and secondary can't make the tackles

if the front seven is effectively executing their gap and containment responsibilites, you don't have guys running free in the secondary to begin with-- that's pretty elementary. . .

i don't think anyone will argue that we need some better LBs (although having two on IR doesn't help), but it doesn't matter how well your 'backers tackle if the DLs can't keep them clean to run to the ball. . .

you can claim that the DLs are doing their job and bad tackling in the back seven is the problem, but that asertion utterly flies in the face of the facts. . . we're 31st in rushing yards allowed, 31st in rushing YPC allowed, and dead last 32nd in rushing TDs allowed. . . and that VERY obviously doesn't happen on a team where the D-line is playing well. . .

Clipworthy
01-03-2011, 03:37 AM
if the front seven is effectively executing their gap and containment responsibilites, you don't have guys running free in the secondary to begin with-- that's pretty elementary. . .

i don't think anyone will argue that we need some better LBs (although having two on IR doesn't help), but it doesn't matter how well your 'backers tackle if the DLs can't keep them clean to run to the ball. . .

you can claim that the DLs are doing their job and bad tackling in the back seven is the problem, but that asertion utterly flies in the face of the facts. . . we're 31st in rushing yards allowed, 31st in rushing YPC allowed, and dead last 32nd in rushing TDs allowed. . . and that VERY obviously doesn't happen on a team where the D-line is playing well. . .

The scheme 3-4 is intended to have the LBs making the tackles.....D line absorbs blocks and LB's are gap containment.... bad gap containment = big runs

bcbronc
01-03-2011, 05:10 AM
The scheme 3-4 is intended to have the LBs making the tackles.....D line absorbs blocks and LB's are gap containment.... bad gap containment = big runs

yes, but the problem is that the D line isn't actually absorbing any blocks. we have no one that demands a double team every play. That means OL are getting up on LBs and CBs. see where the issue is?

Clipworthy
01-03-2011, 06:56 AM
yes, but the problem is that the D line isn't actually absorbing any blocks. we have no one that demands a double team every play. That means OL are getting up on LBs and CBs. see where the issue is?

Jamaal just has to walk forward and he demands a double team :coffee:

sneakers
01-03-2011, 07:32 AM
We may have the worst pass rush in the league. /thread

Didn't we have a lot of sacks yesterday because of all the blitzing???

Juriga72
01-03-2011, 07:37 AM
uh....coaching makes the 4-3 or 3-4 here guys...and who's coaching them?

How bout we petition the NFL to get moved to the NFC West next year?

Clipworthy
01-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Didn't we have a lot of sacks yesterday because of all the blitzing???

"wink"'s job has to be on the line to bust out a blitz

frenchfan
01-03-2011, 11:57 AM

he has no chance at playing D line in 3-4, and highly unlikely that he stands up at olbHummm yeah... And so? I don't see any problem there... Did we have a D this year? No... :coffee:
We have to BUILD one, not to REbuild ;)

Take the best D players we can and build something around them.
Something else would be as stupid as to not draft a QB like Luck because "we aren't a passing O, but a running one"...

3-4 / 4-3... Yeah, who cares? Just give us a D that we could call it a D... Don't worry... It won't happen in just 1 year... So build a solid base with talents and adjust the system to them ;)

bcbronc
01-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Jamaal just has to walk forward and he demands a double team :coffee:

not any more. :coffee: