PDA

View Full Version : u29's annalysis of the other side...RT (ryan harris)

underrated29
09-09-2008, 10:18 PM
It wasnt until a read a thread today and someone mentioned harris name that i remebered he was starting and he was essentially a rookie. And how we hear all throughout TC that harris was getting eating alive. ( i guess deangelo hall took notes. ha ha, bad joke. sorry)

SO I went back and re watched the game only looking in on harris. I got up to half time and thats where my recording stopped as the fat baby some how cancelled the recording without me knowing.

anyhow this is what i saw:

#74 RT ryan harris- The Big Boy looked damn good!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean real good. Even in the preseason where he was getting worked up a bit and took some holding calls i wasnt sure he would start. Infact, i didnt think he would and forgot about him almost all together. Let me tell you. He learns quick.

He absolutely OWNS in run blocking. I mean OWNS!! On almost all run plays he would shut down his man, and then shed him after the runner was past or about to pass him and then move on for another kill.

He also gets the second level extremely fast. Sometimes its almost immediate. and from there he puts LBs out of position or on their butt (<---more or less.)

He does a good job at taking his man out on the cut blocks, something clady seemed to have a little more struggle with.

In passing he has a good pop with his man and i dont recall to many times that a speed move worked. Good lateral quickness is what that says to me. When he was bullrushed occasionally he would get pushed back and sent off balance where he would be on one foot trying to regain balance. However, when that happend he would also pop his guy hard enough that he would have the same equal effect. I dont recall seeing him get beat once! I did notice one play where clady had a little problem with an inside outside speed move, but jay saw it and fled the scene no prob. to where harris rightfully shut his man down.

I love our two bookends! I really do, I was a little worried once i remembered that harris also a rookie (didnt play last year) was starting, but i looked at his play and remembered when we drafted him that some scouts. (kiper?) said he could be of 1st rd talent. I think he is.

Of course this is against the lousy raiders, and no derrick burgess as he was hurt or something, but still no one got the better of him. He is strong fast, and most of all my favorite. MEAN! he sees his target takes it out and moves on to the next.

Also of note is he doesnt stop playing. One play- young/hall was running right then went like all the way left of something and tried to turn the corner. Harris from the right side, went to the second level took out his man then saw the play all the way over on the other side and followed another raider there to take him out. The runner got tackled before they made it there but that was some good running and play chasing he did.

I guess next week we can tell for sure if what i have seen is his skills, the raiders lack of skills, or a combo of both that made him so successful. If he pans out next week, which i think he surely will, then we got, and i seriously say this, 2 pro bowlers on our oline right now this year! and ends for the next 7 years for sure.

I am no scout or professional, nor do i know the exact technique or skills required to be an olineman. I just say what i see and what i think compared to other players in past and other teams in general. Feel free to comment and or agree/disagree. It helps me analyze better in the future too.

honz
09-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Nice analysis, thanks. I think that next week will be a huge test for our OLine. You know that the the Dolts are going to throw the kitchen sink at us as far as blitz packages and trying to get pressure on Cutler. I'm pretty sure that they want no part of Cutler picking apart their secondary like he was able to do against Oakland and I'm sure they know how young our OLine is. I will be very interested to see how the OLine holds up next week.

shank
09-09-2008, 10:56 PM
remember our bet dogfish?!

i never understood all the harris hate, lots of people on these boards seemed to write him off before he ever even got a chance to show what he can do.

broncobryce
09-10-2008, 01:36 AM
Am I wrong to wish Merrimen would have played so we could have taken him out?

xzn
09-10-2008, 01:50 AM
Ryan Clady, Ryan Harris and Kuper + Lichtensteiger and we've got some prime young beef. If Hamilton's health holds he's still not that old either. The line looks real nice going forward, not just this season but for the next decade or so!

LordTrychon
09-10-2008, 02:04 AM
Love the post...

But if I was going to argue with anything it would be this...

Even if our tackles play at an All-pro level (which I think they could) they will not necessarily actually make the Pro-bowl...

It usually takes a few years of success to get enough notice to make it... and it's worse if you're on the OL... and even worse if you're on the Broncos...

:salute:

omac
09-10-2008, 02:08 AM
Am I wrong to wish Merrimen would have played so we could have taken him out?

I want him to make a full, strong recovery ... then I want him to play for the Broncos. :D

Hawgdriver
09-10-2008, 05:47 AM
Wow, I would give you a second MHS if I had a second right hand. Seriously, this is my favorite kind of post. You took the time to evaluate an easily overlooked aspect of the game that we all need to be aware of. Yeah, I don't know if you're right either, but I'll take your word for it until someone has a different take on it.

I am inclined to agree with you because it was clear that the O line was providing great pass pro. O Line was such a huge, megahuge ? (question mark) prior to the first snap. When you looked at the starting line you realize it's a complete makeover from last year--and O-Lines live and die by experience in the system and experience with each other at their same positions--things they don't have. How would they possibly get anything done on offense--running or passing? Yet it happened, and who gets the attention? Jay Cutler and Eddie Royal. But we all had the quiet voice telling us that the Line was holding down their part of the deal. Now U29 comes along and gives them (well, at least Harris) props! Nice work, man.

It was just East Oakland JuCo, so we can't jump to conclusions. But this is the best news I've heard all day about the Broncos, so thanks. I'm stoked about Harris, and the rest of the Line, too.

underrated29
09-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the pops guys, glad you liked it.

Thanks for the criticism LT- you havea great point, also being that we are the broncos and dont get a lot of recognition on top of lineman getting less than normal recogntition.

i will say this, if harris and clady continue to play the way they did, i dont see any way possible that they dont get recognized. However, players vote too and being both are rookies (harris essentially is) might hinder them some.

Lets see. I am so excited about our oline- they made me a believer, when i wasnt one.

LordTrychon
09-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the pops guys, glad you liked it.

Thanks for the criticism LT- you havea great point, also being that we are the broncos and dont get a lot of recognition on top of lineman getting less than normal recogntition.

i will say this, if harris and clady continue to play the way they did, i dont see any way possible that they dont get recognized. However, players vote too and being both are rookies (harris essentially is) might hinder them some.

Lets see. I am so excited about our oline- they made me a believer, when i wasnt one.

You have a point... they have to be recognized if they don't allow any sacks all year... :laugh:

I just don't think it helps that our line is viewed by many as more of a smoke and mirrors attack... and it helps us succeed with lower tier linemen. I think it's probably gotten better and better over the past few years as more teams are picking up the ZB scheme.

In the end... I'm excited about our oline as well and don't really give crap if they are recognized right away as long as they play at an all-pro level.

frenchfan
09-10-2008, 10:49 AM
U29, thank you for this kind of analysis that helps me to understand better football.
Though I wasn't "born" with that sport, I have a huge backgroud and I understand it well... But I meant that I miss specifical knowledge in some areas, such as blocking. I do know how important lines (O & D) are, but it's great to read such analysis (and comments) and learn more :salute: :beer:

Thnikkaman
09-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Am I wrong to wish Merrimen would have played so we could show him how lights out our O-Line is?

Is more appropriate.

Let Roidman get healthy. And then we can sit with our boxes of popcorn and watch our O-Line frustrate him 2 games a year, every year.

haroldthebarrel
09-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Question I want to ask is if our young guns that shined monday; Harris, Clady (and Royal), can they be consistent?
How will they do against a team with better pass rushers. How will they do when other teams have game tapes to show their tendencies and weaknesses?
Those are the questions I wanna know. They dont have to be excellent like they appeared in the MNF game(I havent watched it again to focus on the line), but can they be consistently good this year?

Nick
09-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Great post. I was at game but kept more of an eye on Clady :beer:

underrated29
09-11-2008, 11:31 AM
So MB what did you see?

Do you think similiar to what i saw? i would like to know your take.

Also how did he look after half time?

omac
09-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Question I want to ask is if our young guns that shined monday; Harris, Clady (and Royal), can they be consistent?
How will they do against a team with better pass rushers. How will they do when other teams have game tapes to show their tendencies and weaknesses?
Those are the questions I wanna know. They dont have to be excellent like they appeared in the MNF game(I havent watched it again to focus on the line), but can they be consistently good this year?

Guess we'll find out at the end of the season.

Last year, some turned out okay, like Joe Thomas, Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, James Jones. Others will hit the rookie wall, like Marcus Thomas admitted to.

One thing that struck me about Royal, Harris, and Clady is they seemed extremely disciplined. Also, Royal and Clady seem very mature and poised, unlike typical rookies, so there's a good chance they will be prepared. Harris has taken in being with a pro team for a whole season, so he should be prepared.

Hope it works out. :cheers:

jhns
09-11-2008, 11:58 AM
The o-line is looking far better than I could have hoped for. Through the preseason and first week, they have dominated. Not a single sack on Cutler yet. You can't ask for better. The best part is that so many on the line are so young and we seem to have some good depth all of the sudden.

56crash
09-11-2008, 12:23 PM
remember our bet dogfish?!

i never understood all the harris hate, lots of people on these boards seemed to write him off before he ever even got a chance to show what he can do.

Good for you ! I thought it was a wasted pick glad I was wrong big time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To my credit I never thought bad of the kid just that we are not lucky with hurt players and that we needed players

underrated29
09-11-2008, 01:06 PM
So MB what did you see?

Do you think similiar to what i saw? i would like to know your take.

Also how did he look after half time?

quoting myself so MB sees this as it was lost on the first page.

MOtorboat
09-11-2008, 01:40 PM

I ended up watching the Rays-Red Sox game, so I didn't rewatch it...:coffee:

haroldthebarrel
09-11-2008, 02:23 PM
I rewatched the first quarter and one negative thing about Clady is that he is much slower off the snap than the rest of the OL.
On running downs Harris, Kuper and Hamilton are very fast though so it might be a bit of comparison sake. Kuper is superquick though. Sometimes when he pulls he is already there

The amazing thing about Clady though is that even if he is the slowest off the snap, he still doesnt get beat. Man what a diamond we found there.
And to think I wanted Chris Williams though I didnt know he had a chronic back problem.

MOtorboat
09-12-2008, 07:21 AM

I'd say you're spot on.

Mostly, I think the weak link on Monday was Wiegmann. I hope Nalen really is ready to go. Wiegmann got pushed into the backfield on several running plays, and that's a key cut-back block for this offense. Kuper was doing a good job of pushing people around, but I don't necessarily think he was opening holes, he kind of pushed the guy in the general direction in which the defensive guy wanted to go - (I don't know all the technical jargon, but that's what I saw). I thought Harris was very solid.