PDA

View Full Version : Broncos tap Elway as VP, sources say

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2011, 09:44 AM
The Denver Broncos and John Elway have reached an agreement for the two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback to join the team's front office this week as an executive vice president, team sources have told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

"John's intelligence, his leadership, business savvy, his knowledge of the game, and competitive fire -- plus the respect that everyone in this building will have for him -- will make us better right away," Joe Ellis, the Broncos' chief operating officer, told The Denver Post of owner Pat Bowlen's sentiments, without confirming Elway's hire.

One of Elway's first orders of business as a Broncos executive will be to discuss Denver's head-coach opening with Stanford's Jim Harbaugh, league sources told Schefter. A former Stanford star, Elway is serving as an honorary captain for the Cardinal on Monday night at the Discover Orange Bowl against Virginia Tech.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5981059

claymore
01-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Awesome!

Nomad
01-02-2011, 10:20 AM
According to Schefter last week, Harbough will be wearing the Maize and Blue!!

BroncoJoe
01-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Thought this was an interesting tidbit from the Post:

It's something that's been on his to-do list forever," former teammate Karl Mecklenberg said. "It's not like the team came to him and said, 'We need your help, we need you to be a figurehead.' When he came to Mr. Bowlen before, Mr. Bowlen made sure he ran him through that whole Arena (Football League) thing. Mr. Bowlen had John run the Crush, and he learned the ropes there.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16990740

The Crush was jointly owned by Elway, Bowlen and Kroenke

GEM
01-02-2011, 10:36 AM
First order of business: Find Ellis' job no longer needed and let him go. :D

elsid13
01-02-2011, 10:41 AM
According to Schefter last week, Harbough will be wearing the Maize and Blue!!

Schefter kinda back track and added "he thought" Harbough would go back to UM.

GEM
01-02-2011, 10:44 AM

I was listening to a radio show last night that was saying that it would be typical of Jerry Jones to go with Harbough. Even though Garrett should get the job, the Cowboys success was when he went and got college guys. Switzer and Johnson. He hasn't had any luck when he grabs NFL guys. So they said don't be surprised if Jones goes completely opposite of what everyone is expecting.

Don't know that I agree, just thought it was interesting.

Nomad
01-02-2011, 11:05 AM

The speculation is all over the maps for Harbough, some think Harbough will take the Carolina job so he has a 'for sure' chance at getting Andrew Luck! I thought when Schefter said he 'expects' it was a done deal though as many have pointed out Schefter isn't what he use to be!!

BroncoJoe
01-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Harbough and Luck will come to the NFL.

Next year.

Tned
01-02-2011, 11:31 AM
The speculation is all over the maps for Harbough, some think Harbough will take the Carolina job so he has a 'for sure' chance at getting Andrew Luck! I thought when Schefter said he 'expects' it was a done deal though as many have pointed out Schefter isn't what he use to be!!

From Schefter:

RT @AdamSchefter: Forget about a Jim Harbaugh-Andrew Luck reunion in Carolina. Panthers expected to pursue an NFL asst. coach to replace John Fox

atwater27
01-02-2011, 12:15 PM
I am not sure how to feel about Elway. I love him to death as a player. It is a plus that he has been a successful businessman and involved as an executive in a lesser league. One thing is for sure... If he is as passionate about winning now as he was as a player, and channels that into his delegation tactics while at the same time realizing his limits and trusting those with better scouting skills to do their jobs, he could bring back Mile High Magic to the rocky mountains!

dogfish
01-02-2011, 12:30 PM
well, here we go. . .

at the very least, i feel more comfortable with elway standing behind the throne than ellis, but keeping xanders is a very ominous beginning-- especially if a raw college coach is their top target for HC! gat damn, we need some experience in the building, fellas! elway's never done it before, xanders hasn't done it before. . . how smart is it to pair them with a first-time head coach?

i admit, i wanted somebody like russ grimm, ron rivera or perry fewell, but with this FO i'm afraid i have to shift my focus to john fox or jeff fisher-- we gotta have somebody in the management/coaching hierarchy that knows what they're doing. . . having the entire structure putting themselves through on-the-job training at the same time just sounds like a recipe for big disaster. . .

if we do get harbaugh, i pray that we can at least bring in somebody like a mike nolan or even eric mangini as assistant head coach/defense. . .

elsid13
01-02-2011, 12:38 PM
well, here we go. . .

at the very least, i feel more comfortable with elway standing behind the throne than ellis, but keeping xanders is a very ominous beginning-- especially if a raw college coach is their top target for HC! gat damn, we need some experience in the building, fellas! elway's never done it before, xanders hasn't done it before. . . how smart is it to pair them with a first-time head coach?

i admit, i wanted somebody like russ grimm, ron rivera or perry fewell, but with this FO i'm afraid i have to shift my focus to john fox or jeff fisher-- we gotta have somebody in the management/coaching hierarchy that knows what they're doing. . . having the entire structure putting themselves through on-the-job training at the same time just sounds like a recipe for big disaster. . .

if we do get harbaugh, i pray that we can at least bring in somebody like a mike nolan or even eric mangini as assistant head coach/defense. . .

Every body talks about Russ Grimm as good HC candidate, but I get the feeling that might be something missing with him. That he might be better #2 guy then the guy.

Lancane
01-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Well Jim Harbaugh is the favorite for the San Francisco job, there is a rumor Al Davis could look his way as a long-term answer - why doesn't that surprise me, and he's of course tied to the Broncos' organization because of such talk as well. Carolina was supposedly interested, not sure who they're looking at right now and Dallas which was false, the only two coaches that Jones was officially interested in was Garrett and Fisher, but he's suppose to officially announce Garrett to the post tomorrow.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about Harbaugh coming to Denver, but I doubt he'll take the job for 2.5 million dollars when Michigan, San Francisco and maybe Oakland would end up paying him more for his services.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Every body talks about Russ Grimm as good HC candidate, but I get the feeling that might be something missing with him. That he might be better #2 guy then the guy.

Same way I feel about Perry Fewell. I don't like him as a candidate, don't trust him. Especially the way his defense has performed down the stretch.

Lancane
01-02-2011, 01:12 PM
I would love to hire Ron Rivera as the next head coach...but, even I know the chances are slim, especially with Elway now the Executive Vice President of Football Operations, he and Bowlen are both offensive minded individuals and both have an affinity for those who have ties to the team.

The issue with Harbaugh is that he's a hot commodity, other teams will offer to pay him more for his services and coming here he'd either have to tie his career with Tebow or the team would tear apart the fandom by making a serious run at Andrew Luck.

Nolan, Dennison, Fassel and Studesville will get some serious consideration IMHO.

honz
01-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Love Elway, hope this works out...

Ravage!!!
01-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Drafting Luck would NOT tear down the fandom. Those that are Denver fans, would be excited and would stick with the team knowing that ELway had just as much a part of drafting an EXTREMELY highly touted QB to be the future of this franchise,a nd those that came to Denver to follow Tebow, would follow Tebow elsewhere.

Personally, I hope you are wrong in Nolan getting serious contention, as well as Studes

Harbaugh isn't coming to Denver, but I would love to have him here. Harbaugh does run an offense that would require a passing QB. SOmething that would be a deterrent for sure, when coming here.

EMB6903
01-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Luck is going to be the #1 pick... Hes not going to be in Denver not because Denver passes on him but because they wont even have a chance to draft him.

BroncoStud
01-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Luck is going to be the #1 pick... Hes not going to be in Denver not because Denver passes on him but because they wont even have a chance to draft him.

Send Carolina Tebow, our first rounder, and Kyle Orton for their 1st round pick.

Elevation inc
01-02-2011, 01:26 PM
I would love to hire Ron Rivera as the next head coach...but, even I know the chances are slim, especially with Elway now the Executive Vice President of Football Operations, he and Bowlen are both offensive minded individuals and both have an affinity for those who have ties to the team.

The issue with Harbaugh is that he's a hot commodity, other teams will offer to pay him more for his services and coming here he'd either have to tie his career with Tebow or the team would tear apart the fandom by making a serious run at Andrew Luck.

Nolan, Dennison, Fassel and Studesville will get some serious consideration IMHO.

one of those will be the next HC of denver......Guarenteed;)

Nomad
01-02-2011, 01:32 PM
I guess the best way to sum it up.....whatever scenerio, if Elway wants it to happen, it'll probaby happen though it may cost alot!!

Lancane
01-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Drafting Luck would NOT tear down the fandom. Those that are Denver fans, would be excited and would stick with the team knowing that ELway had just as much a part of drafting an EXTREMELY highly touted QB to be the future of this franchise,a nd those that came to Denver to follow Tebow, would follow Tebow elsewhere.

Personally, I hope you are wrong in Nolan getting serious contention, as well as Studes

Harbaugh isn't coming to Denver, but I would love to have him here. Harbaugh does run an offense that would require a passing QB. SOmething that would be a deterrent for sure, when coming here.

Bullshit Rav, what are you playing at? I've said this many times before, but we're a very emotional fanbase and of all the positions on the team none get's more criticism or starts more heated debates then the quarterback position with us Broncos' fans. And right now, a lot of the fandom have bought into Tebow, right now he's the rockstar of the NFL, he's got a book out or soon to come out, he's got that documentary that's soon to be aired on cable television...and you know how fans are with the rockstars of the league. And you know how I feel about Luck, he's the best quarterback prospects I've seen since Peyton Manning in all seriousness. But I don't see it happening or Harbaugh coming to Denver, not when his paycheck will be small compared to what he could get and having to tie himself to Tebow.

Nolan will get a serious look, especially after how he had our defense playing a year back. Studesville will get some consideration because he's well liked and because he has ties to Fassel and some other coaches with ties to the team. Fassel is sort of a no-brainer to be looked at and same with Rick Dennison, we could also see Karl Dorrell get an interview and a few others with such ties to the team.

honz
01-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Drafting Luck would divide our fanbase once again. It just would, there is no way around it. It would probably be a lot like Plummer vs. Cutler again, even though I wasn't on this forum back then. (RIP old broncosfreaks.com)

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Jim Harbaugh is on his way out of Stanford; the only question is where he will go.

That’s the news, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. The 49ers and Broncos will go after Harbaugh hard, although San Francisco’s lack of success (and lack of a quarterback) will reportedly make Harbaugh pause before taking the gig. Schefter thinks Harbaugh will decide shortly after coaching Stanford in the Orange Bowl and could be a NFL head coach by the middle of next week.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/02/near-certainty-harbaugh-leaves-stanford/

Another article on Harbaugh

Bob Bowlsby unsure on keeping Jim Harbaugh

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/01/01/SP7M1H2NBN.DTL

broken12
01-02-2011, 01:49 PM
jim harbaugh #1, hope fisher gets a interview, bring in fox, lewis for d coordinator job!

honz
01-02-2011, 01:50 PM
We could probably do worse than Harbaugh, but the transition from college to NFL is always dicey. I would be fairly happy with that hire, though.

jhildebrand
01-02-2011, 01:50 PM
one of those will be the next HC of denver......Guarenteed;)

You guarantee that? :confused: How can you possibly guarantee that.

I don't see Dennison getting a shot. Houston had a serious drop off with him as their OC as opposed to Kyle Shanahan.

Fassel-I like the guy but he has been out of the game too long. I just don't see it. I doubt he gets an interview.

Nolan-Could see an interview. I doubt he takes the job. He could just as easily be in the running for a job that looks likely to open in Miami sooner than later and they are further ahead than Denver.

Studesville-He will get a serious look especially if he wins today. I doubt he gets the job though.

The MO in the league right now on HC is opposite of every name you mentioned. I think we will all be shocked to see who the next actual coach is.

The only retread I would be interested in is Schottenheimer.

broken12
01-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Drafting Luck would divide our fanbase once again. It just would, there is no way around it. It would probably be a lot like Plummer vs. Cutler again, even though I wasn't on this forum back then. (RIP old broncosfreaks.com)

no really, drafting luck if a available would be a great move, do not trade anything to get him maybe orton and a pick or something but luck would be a good move, for the future! look at what sam bradford has done for the rams! get a qb to go with htis young offense, and get depth at defense, yeah we need all we can get but mcd ruined that for this year trading pics for moreno and for brady quinn and that gronkiske te guy! so lets get this offense sured up and start on defense if luck not available draft the best player available not according to need just the best because we need help everywhere regardless....trade down and stock up like last years draft but dont reach on a tebo2

EMB6903
01-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Send Carolina Tebow, our first rounder, and Kyle Orton for their 1st round pick.

Carolina wont touch that.

Luck is a once in a lifetime prospect, that #1 pick is untradable if he declares.

honz
01-02-2011, 01:59 PM
no really, drafting luck if a available would be a great move, do not trade anything to get him maybe orton and a pick or something but luck would be a good move, for the future! look at what sam bradford has done for the rams! get a qb to go with htis young offense, and get depth at defense, yeah we need all we can get but mcd ruined that for this year trading pics for moreno and for brady quinn and that gronkiske te guy! so lets get this offense sured up and start on defense if luck not available draft the best player available not according to need just the best because we need help everywhere regardless....trade down and stock up like last years draft but dont reach on a tebo2
Drafting Luck in the first would also mean missing out on a big time defensive player, which is what we need most.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Within article:

Elway will have an upstairs office at the Paul D. Bowlen Memorial Broncos Centre, and he will show up every day. There's no need to punch a clock because high-ranking management officials never count their endless hours.

His title — vice president of football operations — will be the same one Mike Shanahan carried on top of his head coaching position. On top of everybody else. Remember all that power Shanahan held at Dove Valley from 1995-2008?

Starting with the New Year, a new decade, the Broncos will enter a new era.

Elway will be in charge.

"I'm not going to get too far into that now," Elway said Friday on his radio show on 87.7 FM The Ticket. "Hopefully, we get something done (this week). We'll get that all settled. There is a process that has to be followed. If you understand, I don't want to say too much about it right now."

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16990740

BeefStew25
01-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Handcuffing Ellis is a start.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Bullshit Rav, what are you playing at? I've said this many times before, but we're a very emotional fanbase and of all the positions on the team none get's more criticism or starts more heated debates then the quarterback position with us Broncos' fans. And right now, a lot of the fandom have bought into Tebow, right now he's the rockstar of the NFL, he's got a book out or soon to come out, he's got that documentary that's soon to be aired on cable television...and you know how fans are with the rockstars of the league. And you know how I feel about Luck, he's the best quarterback prospects I've seen since Peyton Manning in all seriousness. But I don't see it happening or Harbaugh coming to Denver, not when his paycheck will be small compared to what he could get and having to tie himself to Tebow.

Nolan will get a serious look, especially after how he had our defense playing a year back. Studesville will get some consideration because he's well liked and because he has ties to Fassel and some other coaches with ties to the team. Fassel is sort of a no-brainer to be looked at and same with Rick Dennison, we could also see Karl Dorrell get an interview and a few others with such ties to the team.

Bullshit? :lol: Ookayy. A bit of an over reaction, but THIS is what I'm "playing" at.

As of RIGHT now.. the Tebow excitement is about Tebow FINALLY getting the start over Orton. The guy that we used so many picks on, sitting on the bench, with all the talk and hype, FINALLY getting on the field.

Is the excitment we feel alllll about "Tebow", or is it the excitement we all feel when we finally get to see the possible future of this team on the field??? Its a mixture. Tebow is new, Tebow is different, Tebow is the guy that might be our future dude,and we FINALLY get to see him play.

But this fan-base was NOT all on board when we drafted him. Not at all. I would say that the majority was NOT excited about the draft choice, especially for the price we used. But, like all young back-up QBs, the excitement grows the worse the team does. Its a building volcano. Everyone was sick of watching Orton completely fail on the field, along with this team, and we were looking for ANYTHING to make the games worth watching and ANYTHING to get us excited again.

So.. IF (and I don't think there is a chance at all) that we worked out a deal that traded for Andrew Luck, there would be an initial shock. Some of the Bronco fans would be saying "why, we need defense" (which still could be addressed later in the draft), others would be disappointed because they wanted Tebow, and there would be those that are only Denver fans because of Tebow.

But it wouldn't take long, before the Denver fans.. the DENVER fans.. the ones that YOU YOURSELF are a "very emotional fanbase" (which in reality, we aren't more emotional than any other team, and every QB gets as much crap, ask philly) would see that we JUST drafted the VERY BEST QB prospect SINCE Elway.. SINCE ELWAY. Thats a QB that has a better rating than ANY player in 27 years of college football, and would see that this move came with COMPLETE support and probably PUSH by John Elway himself.

This fanbase would see that for a team that is at the bottom of the NFL, the greatest impact you can make is at the QB position, and when you JUST get the BEST to come out in 27, FRIGGIN, years.. from the same school as Elway, Supported by Elway.... then I FIRMLY believe that this fanbase would be ESTATIC more than it would "Turn" against the FO when we have a CRAP of a team.

So even though I don't see it happening, I do NOT think that the fans would "Turn" against the coach for this move. NOT when we are talking about a guy like Luck, that was supported by Elway, to replace a QB that has played 3 games for us. MANY players write books, and MANY players have documentaries.

Thats what I'm playing at.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Drafting Luck in the first would also mean missing out on a big time defensive player, which is what we need most.

Depends on how you see that. QB could very well be what we need most. Thats the biggest piece of the puzzle. A defender can be taken later, and no matter HOW good the defensive player is, he would NEVER EVER EVER make as big of an impact on a team that the QB would.

So if we COULD (and we can't) draft Luck in place of a defensive player, thats a HUGE upgrade in choice.

Lancane
01-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Bullshit? :lol: Ookayy. A bit of an over reaction, but THIS is what I'm "playing" at.

As of RIGHT now.. the Tebow excitement is about Tebow FINALLY getting the start over Orton. The guy that we used so many picks on, sitting on the bench, with all the talk and hype, FINALLY getting on the field.

Is the excitment we feel alllll about "Tebow", or is it the excitement we all feel when we finally get to see the possible future of this team on the field??? Its a mixture. Tebow is new, Tebow is different, Tebow is the guy that might be our future dude,and we FINALLY get to see him play.

But this fan-base was NOT all on board when we drafted him. Not at all. I would say that the majority was NOT excited about the draft choice, especially for the price we used. But, like all young back-up QBs, the excitement grows the worse the team does. Its a building volcano. Everyone was sick of watching Orton completely fail on the field, along with this team, and we were looking for ANYTHING to make the games worth watching and ANYTHING to get us excited again.

So.. IF (and I don't think there is a chance at all) that we worked out a deal that traded for Andrew Luck, there would be an initial shock. Some of the Bronco fans would be saying "why, we need defense" (which still could be addressed later in the draft), others would be disappointed because they wanted Tebow, and there would be those that are only Denver fans because of Tebow.

But it wouldn't take long, before the Denver fans.. the DENVER fans.. the ones that YOU YOURSELF are a "very emotional fanbase" (which in reality, we aren't more emotional than any other team, and every QB gets as much crap, ask philly) would see that we JUST drafted the VERY BEST QB prospect SINCE Elway.. SINCE ELWAY. Thats a QB that has a better rating than ANY player in 27 years of college football, and would see that this move came with COMPLETE support and probably PUSH by John Elway himself.

This fanbase would see that for a team that is at the bottom of the NFL, the greatest impact you can make is at the QB position, and when you JUST get the BEST to come out in 27, FRIGGIN, years.. from the same school as Elway, Supported by Elway.... then I FIRMLY believe that this fanbase would be ESTATIC more than it would "Turn" against the FO when we have a CRAP of a team.

So even though I don't see it happening, I do NOT think that the fans would "Turn" against the coach for this move. NOT when we are talking about a guy like Luck, that was supported by Elway, to replace a QB that has played 3 games for us. MANY players write books, and MANY players have documentaries.

Thats what I'm playing at.

A very good answer there Rav...:beer:

I'm not one of those that would be at all upset with Luck being a Bronco, but unlike how you see it, I do believe it would cause some friction at least for a time and then like Plummer or Orton it would slowly fade away.

:lol:

Ravage!!!
01-02-2011, 02:13 PM

I'm not one of those that would be at all upset with Luck being a Bronco, but unlike how you see it, I do believe it would cause some friction at least for a time and then like Plummer or Orton it would slowly fade away.

hah.. slowly..... haha. I guess thats probably very very true

dogfish
01-02-2011, 02:16 PM

cane, what do you think of keith burns?

:heh:

Ravage!!!
01-02-2011, 02:18 PM

I also want to say this again (because I know I'm going to have to say this over and over and over again)...

That I'm on Tebow's wagon. I'm REALLY rooting for this guy. I WANT him to succeed and do well for this team. I like him as a person,a nd think it would be awesome for him to exceed my expectations and be our future QB.

But I WANT him to succeed because he's a Bronco.. not because I'm a Tebow guy. So if we did trade/move to get Luck.. I would be ESTATIC to get a guy like Luck because I feel that would be the best thing FOR the Broncos. But that doesn't mean I don't like Tebow. It doesn't mean I'm not "giving him a chance" as I've been accused of so many times already.

Phew.. I think I'm going ot have to write some kind of statement like this, and make it permanent on my clipboard.

Lancane
01-02-2011, 02:20 PM
cane, what do you think of keith burns?

:heh:

I don't think he'll be getting a shot at the head coaching position, but I would not be surprised if Fassel, Nolan, Dennison, Dorrell, Rivera or Studesville was hired that he might be promoted the Special Teams Coordinator.

powderaddict
01-02-2011, 02:34 PM
I also want to say this again (because I know I'm going to have to say this over and over and over again)...

That I'm on Tebow's wagon. I'm REALLY rooting for this guy. I WANT him to succeed and do well for this team. I like him as a person,a nd think it would be awesome for him to exceed my expectations and be our future QB.

But I WANT him to succeed because he's a Bronco.. not because I'm a Tebow guy. So if we did trade/move to get Luck.. I would be ESTATIC to get a guy like Luck because I feel that would be the best thing FOR the Broncos. But that doesn't mean I don't like Tebow. It doesn't mean I'm not "giving him a chance" as I've been accused of so many times already.

Phew.. I think I'm going ot have to write some kind of statement like this, and make it permanent on my clipboard.

I can see where you are coming from, and agree.

I want the best guy possible at QB. And if the FO feels that Luck is that guy, I'll get behind it.

I really like Tebow, and am comfortable with him being our QB. But if Luck is the next Elway, and you have a chance at him how do you pass that up?

cardoso
01-02-2011, 02:49 PM
We do not need luck and drafting him or trading for him would be a disaster. This team has failed to address the defense so many times. We should spend our first 4 picks on defense. Our defense has been pathetic for years now. Anyone thinking luck sold be our priority needs their head checked. Its time we fix our damn defense! If we had a good defense we wouldn't need a qb to win every game for us. Tebow should be the franchise until he proves he's not capable. And from preseason and the first two games Tebow had slowed he's a stud. He is in as bad as a position as any rookie to ever start a game and he has been great! I can't wait to see what he does when they give him something better than than a high school defense to help.

powderaddict
01-02-2011, 02:53 PM
We do not need luck and drafting him or trading for him would be a disaster. This team has failed to address the defense so many times. We should spend our first 4 picks on defense. Our defense has been pathetic for years now. Anyone thinking luck sold be our priority needs their head checked. Its time we fix our damn defense! If we had a good defense we wouldn't need a qb to win every game for us. Tebow should be the franchise until he proves he's not capable. And from preseason and the first two games Tebow had slowed he's a stud. He is in as bad as a position as any rookie to ever start a game and he has been great! I can't wait to see what he does when they give him something better than than a high school defense to help.

Denver has more than 1 draft pick, and should get more by trading Orton.

Dapper Dan
01-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Another article about Elway as VP.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/22643/john-elway-will-come-out-swinging

Elevation inc
01-02-2011, 03:07 PM

I don't see Dennison getting a shot. Houston had a serious drop off with him as their OC as opposed to Kyle Shanahan.

Fassel-I like the guy but he has been out of the game too long. I just don't see it. I doubt he gets an interview.

Nolan-Could see an interview. I doubt he takes the job. He could just as easily be in the running for a job that looks likely to open in Miami sooner than later and they are further ahead than Denver.

Studesville-He will get a serious look especially if he wins today. I doubt he gets the job though.

The MO in the league right now on HC is opposite of every name you mentioned. I think we will all be shocked to see who the next actual coach is.

cause im God and tebow told me so....;)

only wildcard i see is harbaugh...otherwise our coach will be dennison, fassel, studes or nolan....:lol:...also the players love tony in miami and parcells told the owner he would be stupid to fire him, the big problem in miami is no Qb worth a damn and a shitty ass O cordinator, bmarsh and others on that team agree as well and have said as such....

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Another article about Elway as VP.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/22643/john-elway-will-come-out-swinging

From article:

It is clear Elway is running this team with help from current general manager Brian Xanders.

If this is true, plus what I posted that Elway's new name will be "boss", and Elway will be in charge, where does this leave Ellis????? It would not bother me at all if Bowlen cut ties with Ellis, and then what I read a while back - i.e. "Bowlen's kids want him to get rid of Ellis", would be true.

cardoso
01-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Denver has more than 1 draft pick, and should get more by trading Orton.

And the last thing they should do with their picks is continue to waste them focusing on offense. You must enjoy watching teams score 60 points and rush for 300 yards on us. Shut the Raiders had 1000 yards vs us this year. That's pathetic. Im tired of looking at the Broncos on the bottom of the nfl list every year! Our first two picks need to be the best defensive guy available. Mcdaniels completely screwed up by drafting Moreno last year. Look who he passed up! We can have manning brady or brees and wed still suck due to our defense.

Lancane
01-02-2011, 03:31 PM

According to the reports coming out of Miami, Parcells spoke with the Dolphins' owner and persuaded him to stay the course with Sparano and that the owner is listening. They're expected to shake up the offensive side of the ball, but Sparano as of this time is being reported as safe.

Jhil, who is it that supposedly being named the next head coach that will shock us all? The people I know are hearing the same thing as me right now, and right now the word is that Harbaugh is the focal candidate and Fassel is the team's backup candidate at least at this time, Studesville will get a serious look as well, don't expect Dennison, Nolan or Dorrell to get an interview unless Harbaugh is completely out, but those might be as curtious as Studesville's own. Some have even hinted at a staff cultivated from several possible candidates...such as Harbaugh as HC, Fassel as OC, Studesville as AHC and possibly keeping Martindale as the DC.

There is no underground candidate that's being mentioned in any circles as far as I know. So if you've heard something feel free to share it...

dogfish
01-02-2011, 03:36 PM
There is no underground candidate that's being mentioned in any circles as far as I know. So if you've heard something feel free to share it...

oh what, my keith burns rumor is just chopped liver?

i see how it is. . . :coffee:

Lancane
01-02-2011, 03:43 PM
oh what, my keith burns rumor is just chopped liver?

i see how it is. . . :coffee:

If Keith Burns is a candidate for the head coaching position, the rumor was started by himself!

;)

dogfish
01-02-2011, 03:53 PM

If Keith Burns is a candidate for the head coaching position, the rumor was started by himself!

;)

three weeks ago, most people would have agreed that he was at least as qualified as eric studesville. . .

:D

Lancane
01-02-2011, 03:58 PM
three weeks ago, most people would have agreed that he was at least as qualified as eric studesville. . .

:D

Except that Studesville has at least been a coordinator at some level, Burns would be a solid candidate for the special teams coordinator position but that is about it.

If we really want no experience or little then Ben McDaniels is the prime candidate...wouldn't that suck if that happened.

dogfish
01-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Except that Studesville has at least been a coordinator at some level, Burns would be a solid candidate for the special teams coordinator position but that is about it.

If we really want no experience or little then Ben McDaniels is the prime candidate...wouldn't that suck if that happened.

come on, ben might be okay-- he just needs somebody to give him a chance. . . :lol:

broken12
01-02-2011, 04:49 PM

One defensive player wont do anything.....need multiple players on defense, we getting dummer back next year also....a qb someone who impacts every snap on offense makes difference in team, tebow playing well, but if luck is available or get him cheap take him, not there trade down couple pics trade moreno, orton, gaffney, pic up extra pics and build defense but qbs are moat important there is no sue this year so move down get extra pics draft qb from washington im later rnds

BeefStew25
01-02-2011, 09:21 PM
From article:

If this is true, plus what I posted that Elway's new name will be "boss", and Elway will be in charge, where does this leave Ellis????? It would not bother me at all if Bowlen cut ties with Ellis, and then what I read a while back - i.e. "Bowlen's kids want him to get rid of Ellis", would be true.

Ellis is great mailing me my season ticket invoice and picking out health plans for the front office.