PDA

View Full Version : POST - Talent-deprived Broncos facing major makeover!

Cugel
01-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Since nobody commented on it, I thought I'd mention this article from the Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16978932)that has an interesting analysis based on interviews by Jeff Legwold with "personnel executives from eight NFL teams to determine how they rank Denver personnel and how much work they believe the Broncos have in front of them in a multiyear rebuilding job."

Basically, the "personnel executives see an aging, thin roster facing a large talent deficit." And "personnel execs also say that when the Broncos, under McDaniels, traded away players such as Jay Cutler, Peyton Hillis, Brandon Marshall and Alphonso Smith, they didn't get comparably ranked talent in return." That much is not a surprise to anyone who watches games on Sunday. But, the depth of the talent gap might surprise many fans who think the Broncos have a significant base to work from, or that a few moves will restore the franchise to competitiveness.

It's going to be a LONG time before the Broncos can hope to compete for a championship. Right now they are one of the LEAST talented teams in the NFL -- in the view of NFL GMs and talent evaluators.

Teams evaluate talent according to a color-coded system with "Blue" indicating "elite at a position." The next step down is "Pro-Bowl Player", the next tier down is "solid starter" and finally "role player."

1. "Blue (elite) Players": Two teams said Bailey was the only Broncos player with such a rating. The other six said the Broncos do not have a "blue" player. On average, a successful playoff team will have three or more "blue" players."

Considering that Champ Bailey is gone next season that would leave the Broncos with NO "elite" level players in the opinion of any of the 8 NFL executives. I would disagree since Elvis Dumervil led the NFL in sacks with 16 two years ago and he's coming back and COULD move into this category -- but that remains to be proved of course.

But, if they mean by "elite" consistently among the best in the NFL, for a number of years, then NO the Broncos have NO "elite" players at all (outside of Bailey)!

2. Pro-Bowl Players: "The next level down is Pro Bowl level. The consensus was that Bailey, guard Chris Kuper, outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil and left tackle Ryan Clady were the only Broncos on this tier."

Of course, those players are the only decent holdovers left from the Mike Shanahan era after McDaniels ran all the talent out of town and brought in scrubs to replace them.

Once again, if you subtract Bailey (since he's a FA and doesn't want to stay in Denver), there's only THREE 2nd tier players on the roster. Top teams like the Falcons, Saints or Patriots have probably 10 or more players in these top 2 categories.

3. "Solid Starters" -- "None of those surveyed gave the Broncos more than 12 players on this level, far fewer than a playoff hopeful." This is the bread and butter of good NFL teams. A top franchise has MOSTLY "solid starters" or better at almost every position.

The players the NFL executives mentioned as "solid starters" included: Kyle Orton; Eddie Royal, Demaryius Thomas and Brandon Lloyd; D.J. Williams; Jamal Williams; Andre Goodman; and Daniel Graham.

Of these of course, Orton and Jamal Williams' future with the team are in question. I'm not sure how Daniel Graham counts as a "solid starter" unless they mean as a blocking TE. He certainly can't catch passes very well as he proved. In short he's overpaid as a starting TE and is NOT a threat in the passing game.

Demaryius Thomas is often injured and his future is far from assured. Daniel Graham is a decent #2 CB, but certainly can't take Champ Bailey's place as the #1 CB and be matched up against ELITE WRs.

DJ seems to have some off field issues that may cause problems but otherwise deserves the "solid starter" label. The entire defense should be filled with guys like him or better.

4. "Role Players" -- these are players who should NOT be starting for a GOOD NFL team. Instead, they "add depth and can help a team play situational football." Most of the rest of the Broncos starters (Buckhalter, Ayers, Gaffney, Woodyard, Dawkins, Haggan, etc.) fall into that category.

I would rate Dawkins higher than that, (as a "solid starter") but again it's probably immaterial if he's gone next season -- and he has little incentive to come back for another losing season for a rebuilding team. He'll also probably want to go to a team that has a chance to win the SB next year if he wants to come back at all at his age.

You can see the long term problem from this. Most of the Broncos players are at least 1 step DOWN from their counterparts on other teams. Other teams have 3 or more "elite" players to our 1 or none. Most others have more "Pro-bowl" caliber players and MANY more "solid starters".

Then there is the major problem that lots of guys who would be special-teams players on other squads (Woodyard, Syd'Quan Thompson and Nate Jones for example) are all too often pressed into starting duty -- and they SUCK at it. :coffee:

This is going to take a LONG time (perhaps 3 or 4 years) to rebuild to the point where the Broncos roster compares favorably with elite teams like the Patriots, Colts, Steelers, etc.

The upside is that Moreno and Tebow could move into the category of "solid starters" next season if they continue to develop, which would at least be a help. Still, the turnover over the next 2 seasons is going to be severe and almost the entire defense is going to have to go before the team can make a serious division threat.

zbeg
01-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Since nobody commented on it, I thought I'd mention this article from the Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16978932)that has an interesting analysis based on interviews by Jeff Legwold with "personnel executives from eight NFL teams to determine how they rank Denver personnel and how much work they believe the Broncos have in front of them in a multiyear rebuilding job."

The players the NFL executives mentioned as "solid starters" included: Kyle Orton; Eddie Royal, Demaryius Thomas and Brandon Lloyd; D.J. Williams; Jamal Williams; Andre Goodman; and Daniel Graham.

Impossible. I've read here that Kyle Orton is regarded as being worse than a box of hair, and that there's no way anyone outside of this message board, let alone eight non-Bronco executives, would ever consider even having Orton on their roster - not even in Madden!

Of these of course, Orton and Jamal Williams' future with the team are in question. I'm not sure how Daniel Graham counts as a "solid starter" unless they mean as a blocking TE. He certainly can't catch passes very well as he proved. In short he's overpaid as a starting TE and is NOT a threat in the passing game.

He is exactly who the Broncos thought they were getting. A great blocker, bad receiver. This wasn't a secret when he was signed from the Patriots, and the Broncos didn't overpay for him - that was his market value, and he was getting comparable offers from other teams.

He hits like a ton of bricks, and he catches with hands of bricks. To paraphrase Dennis Green, Daniel Graham is who we thought he was.

Good assessment, and thanks for the link. Nothing terribly surprising, but it's kind of stark (and depressing) when it's all laid out in front of us like that. Neither Shanahan nor McDaniels did the team any favors in the personnel department the last few years, with the exception of the guys whom we don't know whether or not they can pan out (Moreno, Tebow, DThomas).

Thankfully there's a nice high (hopefully #2!) draft pick and FA, and teams can turn things around fairly quickly with smart personnel decisions and a little luck, but...sigh. More rebuilding to come.

At least we get the orange jerseys back in 2012.

UrbanBounca
01-02-2011, 02:23 AM
Where are you getting the information that Champ doesn't want to stay in Denver?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Northman
01-02-2011, 02:38 AM
Where are you getting the information that Champ doesn't want to stay in Denver?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

I dont think there is anything definitive but Champ has been talking about the possibility of going elsewhere.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-bailey

Bailey said the Broncos’ decision to postpone talks on a deal after submitting a proposal to his agent last week, however, makes him wonder if he’ll soon be playing somewhere else.

“There’s so many people just changing teams. I just think anything can happen at any time,” Bailey said. “So, I’m telling you, if you’re a guy in your last year or you want a new contract or you’re a free agent, you might go somewhere else. Do I really need to spell it out for you?”

“I’ve battled some pretty major injuries and, fortunately, I’ve gotten myself healthy enough to play again and play at a high level and, you know, that’s all I can do. I really can’t lose sleep over what’s going on right now,” Bailey said on his show. “I’m still auditioning for 31 other teams, so my play with speak for itself and … the money will come when it needs to.”

UrbanBounca
01-02-2011, 03:12 AM
I dont think there is anything definitive but Champ has been talking about the possibility of going elsewhere.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-bailey

Bailey has stated he wanted to stay in Denver, but he's well aware there could be a trade or the possibility of finding another team in FA. I didn't read anything remotely close to "Bailey wanting out of Denver."

Northman
01-02-2011, 03:15 AM
Bailey has stated he wanted to stay in Denver, but he's well aware there could be a trade or the possibility of finding another team in FA. I didn't read anything remotely close to "Bailey wanting out of Denver."

Which is what i just stated with the link i provided.

Nomad
01-02-2011, 10:16 AM

They all say this, it's very PC!! If Bailey gets the chance to jump ship and head to an elite team, he will, unless the BRONCOS can pay him want he wants plus some!! This isn't a knock on Bailey but the reality of the NFL!!

Northman
01-02-2011, 11:42 AM
They all say this, it's very PC!! If Bailey gets the chance to jump ship and head to an elite team, he will, unless the BRONCOS can pay him want he wants plus some!! This isn't a knock on Bailey but the reality of the NFL!!

Exactly. You can go across the league and hear a lot of players they would prefer to stay with their respective teams. But thats just not reality when it comes to money and desire to win championships.

horsepig
01-02-2011, 11:58 AM
One of the only times I've ever heard Champ stick his neck out even an inch was when he said he sure hopes to have a "chance to play with the kid". That statement gives a glimmer of hope that he'll want to stay if given a realistic offer.

That article is downright depressing. The upside is that some of these guys do have some nuts and can carry the team over while being infused with young talent, I hope.

PAINTERDAVE
01-02-2011, 12:06 PM
I've heard Champ interviewed...
he has been balanced in his statements.

He would really like to come back and be a part of this new begining.

He is also not stupid... and if his path takes him elsewhere...
he will go do his best.

He has not come down on either side of the fence.... but he has said he knows it could hapen either way.

It really is a wait and see thing... not worht argueing over today.

UrbanBounca
01-02-2011, 12:07 PM

Exactly. You can go across the league and hear a lot of players they would prefer to stay with their respective teams. But thats just not reality when it comes to money and desire to win championships.

Bailey already stated, back when Bowlen initially pulled the offer, that he was offered much less than he liked, but he was going to sign anyway to retire as a Bronco. That may not be the truth now, but like LeBron James, I don't blame Bailey wanting to leave to actually have a chance at winning the SB. There is no chance that Denver will win the SB before Bailey retires.

SR
01-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Doom had 17 sacks and Champ Bailey isn't "gone" next year.

Northman
01-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Bailey already stated, back when Bowlen initially pulled the offer, that he was offered much less than he liked, but he was going to sign anyway to retire as a Bronco. That may not be the truth now, but like LeBron James, I don't blame Bailey wanting to leave to actually have a chance at winning the SB. There is no chance that Denver will win the SB before Bailey retires.

And thats just it. As Painter kind of stated Bailey has been riding the fence not really leaning one way or the other. I wouldnt be surprised if he keeps changing his mind until the offseason. The guy just has to weigh what he feels is best for him. If he wants to take less money and retire a Bronco, great. If he wants to get one final payday and chance to win a title i cant blame him. He's given us all he can for the last 9 years.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Bailey is GONE.

He WAS willing to sign for less money than he wanted. That WOULD Have given him a contract extension, and gave him some guarantees after this season. But the FO pulled the offer from the table. That means that left Bailey to play the entire year with NO guarantee he would play next season. So if he got hurt, the broncos offer NOTHING. Guess what, players remember this stuff.

DOn't think Bailey is going to "play for less" for a team that pulled the offer like they did. He's going to find his market, and he's going to go. He'll "play for less" for a team that actually is a contender, or proves they would love to have him over the next 5 seasons, something the Broncos didn't prove.

Bailey is gone.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Regarding the Article....

Fantastic. Did it mention how many blue chippers, pro-bowlers, or solid starters we pushed out the door?

claymore
01-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Having Bailey and no line or other defensive talent for the past 5-6 years was an excercise in futility. I would have rather had 2 mediocre corner backs for that time period than one great one.

turftoad
01-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Regarding the Article....

Fantastic. Did it mention how many blue chippers, pro-bowlers, or solid starters we pushed out the door?

This is the reason we may just pay Bailey. We don't have to pay anyone else big bucks cuz all of our blue chipper, Pro Bowlers were shipped off by McFired.

keithbishop
01-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Bailey is GONE.

He WAS willing to sign for less money than he wanted. That WOULD Have given him a contract extension, and gave him some guarantees after this season. But the FO pulled the offer from the table. That means that left Bailey to play the entire year with NO guarantee he would play next season. So if he got hurt, the broncos offer NOTHING. Guess what, players remember this stuff.

DOn't think Bailey is going to "play for less" for a team that pulled the offer like they did. He's going to find his market, and he's going to go. He'll "play for less" for a team that actually is a contender, or proves they would love to have him over the next 5 seasons, something the Broncos didn't prove.

Bailey is gone.

That's how I see it.... and I sincerely hope I'm wrong. Can't blame Champ if he leaves and I think he is far too professional to start any mudslinging over negotiations during the season. Champ is human, thus he can't help but be angry/hurt by the pulled offer. Denver made a ton of mistakes this year and, IMO, the pulled offer looms as one of the biggest.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2011, 01:01 PM
That's how I see it.... and I sincerely hope I'm wrong. Can't blame Champ if he leaves and I think he is far too professional to start any mudslinging over negotiations during the season. Champ is human, thus he can't help but be angry/hurt by the pulled offer. Denver made a ton of mistakes this year and, IMO, the pulled offer looms as one of the biggest.

I agree. I was hoping we could keep him. I DID feel that when McD was here, he wasn't going to keep Bailey, because thats what Belicheck does in NE.

But once I knew the Broncos made the offer, I was pretty excited to see that he MIGHT switch to Safety down the road. Now I just don't believe Bailey will be here. He'll have options, which is NOT good for the Broncos at this time. :beer:

Cugel
01-02-2011, 11:52 PM
That article is downright depressing. The upside is that some of these guys do have some nuts and can carry the team over while being infused with young talent, I hope.

Well, that's what draft picks are for! We now have the #2 pick of the entire draft and it will only be the fault of Xanders and his brain trust if they can't find a solid future All-Pro with that pick!

Outside Andrew Luck they have the ENTIRE DRAFT to choose from!

And in the 2nd round their 2nd pick will be barely later than the SB champions!

I remember Mike Shanahan back in the late 90s saying that there were no more than 4 or 5 roster spots on the entire team available, and there was just no point drafting a lot of players who had no chance of making the team!

How times change. Right now the Broncos don't have a 4th or 7th round pick, but if they did, that 7th rounder would have as good a chance as most of the current SCRUBS of making this roster of sad-sacks! :coffee:

Xanders also has to hit a home run in FA. I have no idea whether any top flight FAs will WANT to come to Denver to play on a "rebuilding team" (unless they're offered just ridiculous money), but Xanders has GOT to find some guys who can play NT, DT and DE because the ones he's got just aren't doing the job at all! (And one or two rookies isn't going to change that their first season).

Then we desperately need help at LB, CB, S, on the OL, TE, at least 1 WR, and probably backup RB as well.

In short we need about 3/4 of a starting team! :coffee: