PDA

View Full Version : Will Josh McDaniels ever be a Head Coach in the NFL again?

dogfish
01-01-2011, 05:32 PM
I don't generally spend a lot of time re-hashing the past, but I am kinda curious as to people's opinions on the subject since I still hear people say they think he'll be a great HC some day. So, I'm mostly just interested in the (upcoming) poll and a yes or no answer, but feel free to flame away.

BroncoBJ
01-01-2011, 05:33 PM
If people think Josh McDaniels will become a good head coach one day, then it means that people think Josh McDaniels is going to be a head coach.

I think he'll be one again as well. :salute:

claymore
01-01-2011, 05:39 PM
In the history of the NFL, There is a long list of really shitty head coaches that did a far better job than McDaniels did.

I have no clue what positives people see in this guy. He made everything worse. He may not of set us back five years, but he damn sure set us back to zero.

If he is ever a HC again, I will LMAO. I wouldnt be shocked if he didnt get a OC job again for awhile.

Northman
01-01-2011, 05:43 PM
I will say maybe.

spikerman
01-01-2011, 05:45 PM
He's so young that all it would take is having another good offensive year and you would start hearing his name mentioned again. It sounds like he's got the perfect opportunity coming up. The ONE thing we know about him is that he's a master of making Charlie Weis' offenses look good and guess who's rumored to be replacing Weis in KC.

bcbronc
01-01-2011, 05:46 PM
I think so. the guy's still just a McKid, and the powers that be put too much on his plate.

But then I'm not as down on where the team was going under his lead as most are. We were (are) an organization in massive need of a culture change, and that rarely happens without upsetting a few apple carts (see the people who'd rather win a meaningless game than maximize our draft slot).

I'm sure McDaniels learned a lot from this whole ordeal. and I'm equally sure if he gets another shot as HC it will be under an actual GM.

Tned
01-01-2011, 05:48 PM
I don't generally spend a lot of time re-hashing the past, but I am kinda curious as to people's opinions on the subject since I still hear people say they think he'll be a great HC some day. So, I'm mostly just interested in the (upcoming) poll and a yes or no answer, but feel free to flame away.

I voted yes, although almost didn't with the added commentary after Yes/No :lol:

I do think he will get another chance. I think at least some will believe that he was over his head doing it all in his first HC gig. So, he could go straight to another HC job, or more likely get another OC job or two, before getting another crack.

bcbronc
01-01-2011, 05:50 PM
He's so young that all it would take is having another good offensive year and you would start hearing his name mentioned again. It sounds like he's got the perfect opportunity coming up. The ONE thing we know about him is that he's a master of making Charlie Weiss' offenses look good and guess who's rumored to be replacing Weiss in KC.

that would be great...McD and Cassels feeding us our lunch for the next few years while our "stable" fan base calls for a new head coach and GM every year. :mad:

BroncoWave
01-01-2011, 05:50 PM
He's so young that all it would take is having another good offensive year and you would start hearing his name mentioned again. It sounds like he's got the perfect opportunity coming up. The ONE thing we know about him is that he's a master of making Charlie Weiss' offenses look good and guess who's rumored to be replacing Weiss in KC.

Schefter said there is a very low chance of McD going to KC.

spikerman
01-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Schefter said there is a very low chance of McD going to KC.

I hadn't heard that. Thanks! :beer:

spikerman
01-01-2011, 05:57 PM
that would be great...McD and Cassels feeding us our lunch for the next few years while our "stable" fan base calls for a new head coach and GM every year. :mad:

Unfortunately, according to BTB's post the point may be moot, but if somehow McD winds up there I think we should all pose as KC fans and petition the team to let McD make personnel decisions.

DenBronx
01-01-2011, 05:59 PM

I'm not sure why KC just wont hang on to Weiss. He has helped turn that team around.

BroncoWave
01-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Here was Schefter's tweet today:

"RT @MizzuRah What are the chances Josh Mcdaniels takes over the offensive coordinator position in kc next year? ... Low. Not expecting it."

www.twitter.com/adamschefter

spikerman
01-01-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure why KC just wont hang on to Weiss. He has helped turn that team around.

I get the impression that it's Weis' decision to leave, but maybe there is some tension between him and Haley.

BeefStew25
01-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Mods please take thread out of Bronco talk.

DenBronx
01-01-2011, 06:04 PM
On McDaniels,

He doesn't deserve to ever be a HC in the NFL again. I don't see how some continue to defend him. He was never an offensive genius while he was here and it got worse after he added all of "his guys" on the team. Maybe he will get a chance to be a OC somewhere but that's all he's good for.

claymore
01-01-2011, 06:04 PM

Hell Yeah.

honz
01-01-2011, 06:06 PM

Wow, what a terrible post and poll. #flamingaway

claymore
01-01-2011, 06:11 PM
On McDaniels,

He doesn't deserve to ever be a HC in the NFL again. I don't see how some continue to defend him. He was never an offensive genius while he was here and it got worse after he added all of "his guys" on the team. Maybe he will get a chance to be a OC somewhere but that's all he's good for.

I dont get it either.

yardog
01-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Will Josh McDaniels ever be a Head Coach in the NFL again?
C. :tsk:

bcbronc
01-01-2011, 06:16 PM
On McDaniels,

you'd make more sense if there had never been an example of a young HC bombing in his first gig, only to go on to be a very successful coach. of course, at 33 (or whatever) no room left for growth in McDaniels. :rolleyes:

TXBRONC
01-01-2011, 06:19 PM

Why would Haley want him there?

Juriga72
01-01-2011, 06:20 PM
How many coaches have been touched by a illegal video taping scandal TWICE??

How many young coaches have gutted a team in two years?

No way he ever gets another chance as HC... no way. His star is faded and he's done

Benetto
01-01-2011, 06:32 PM
He will be a HC somewhere else...He's not a offensive genius, or anything close to it (hence the dismantling of our offense)...but I imagine he'll get another shot somewhere...He's only 33 or so.

Lancane
01-01-2011, 06:36 PM
According to several NFL sources, Josh McDaniels is likely to be named the Offensive Coordinator of the Miami Dolphins under Head Coach Tony Sparano.

Will he be a head coach? Who knows...but one thing is certain, Brandon Marshall might come to hate him more if that comes true! Hahaha...

Dreadnought
01-01-2011, 07:41 PM
In the history of the NFL, There is a long list of really shitty head coaches that did a far better job than McDaniels did.

I have no clue what positives people see in this guy. He made everything worse. He may not of set us back five years, but he damn sure set us back to zero.

If he is ever a HC again, I will LMAO. I wouldnt be shocked if he didnt get a OC job again for awhile.

Ina rational World mcdaniels would never work in the NFL again after his disastrous turn here. There is failing and then there is FAILING...and Mcdaniels pulled off the king sized all Caps fail. In doing it he showed personal faults that pretty much showed he is unfit to lead anything, anywhere.

Then again, how do outfits like the Lions and Cardinal suck for decades at a time? Giving duds like McDaniels a chance to unravel whatever progress they might have made is one way. Never underestimate the ability of bad franchises (and I'm not forgetting Mike Brown or Dan Snyder here, either) to make inexplicably stupid hiring decisions. He may get another shot as HC, but he shouldn't.

TXBRONC
01-01-2011, 07:53 PM
I think eventually he's going to get another chance. However, if he doesn't resolve personality quirk of being combative he will crash and burn.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

PAINTERDAVE
01-01-2011, 08:17 PM
EVER is a long long time...
and McD is a young man.

I would not bet against it happening.

And remember...
the question is...

"will he ever be a HC again..."
not
"will he be a GOOD HC.."

zbeg
01-01-2011, 08:35 PM
He's 33. Let's just say for the sake of argument that he's, say, an offensive coordinator for seventeen years, at which point he would be 50, which is by no means a ridiculously old age. You really think someone's going to have McDaniels on a list of possible head coaches in 2028 and then say, "well, there was that one time seventeen years ago..."

You think he'll never be a head coach again? Never? Really? Especially when you consider that a lot of his mistakes appear to be the result of lack of experience/youth?

Further, his failings were largely on the personnel side. The drafting wasn't good, and the Alphonso Smith draft pick trade made me want to set myself on fire, then trading him to Detroit only a year after made me want to bathe in acid. Who knows how much of a force Bowlen was behind the Cutler trade (he had something to do with it, we just don't know how much), etc.

However, the Broncos don't have much talent on the defensive side of the ball. At all. The defensive line is just unreal awful, and quarterbacks can sit back and eat a sandwich while they survey the field waiting for a receiver to get open. Now, some of that is the fault of McDaniels: personnel man, but when it comes to McDaniels: head coach, there's not a whole lot you can do.

What I did see is that the Broncos were playing hard for him. Do you really think the Broncos were underachieving with the talent they have on the roster? "Well, Brandon Lloyd is SO talented, I wish he would be more productive." "Wow, Kyle Orton has an insane amount of talent, why won't he ever live up to his potential?" I don't. I saw a bad team trying hard every week - the Rams and KC losses were losses, but it wasn't because they weren't giving maximum effort.

That's what I want from a head coach. I want a guy who gets his team up and ready to play every week. And that's what McDaniels did on a consistent basis.

Even if you don't agree with me, I know the reaction to his firing was mixed around the league, and there were people who disagreed with it - that he has the potential to be a good coach, and he was doing a good job as an on-field coach in Denver, but didn't have the talent to work with. Even if that's not true, that's the perception of more than a few people, and someone is going to give him another chance at some point.

Had McDaniels been demoted to a coach and had someone else taken over with the personnel side (which is what happened to Mike Holmgren in Seattle), I'd honestly be okay with seeing where the team is going with it, had it not been for the Spygate thing. I realize that's an unpopular opinion here, but in with the bad things with McDaniel, I saw a lot of good things. Teams that fire their coaches every couple of years create instability, and it's hard to sustain winning with that kind of environment. And the team didn't have enough talent to succeed - I don't care if the coach is Rich Kotite, my cat, or the ghost of Bill Walsh; the team wasn't going to stop anyone on defense with the people they had on the field. No coach could have been successful with this Broncos roster.

Let's make a bet: McDaniels is HC somewhere in the NFL in the next ten years. Easily. Twenty years? Double easily. EVER? Barring him getting hit by a bus, it's a mortal lock.

PAINTERDAVE
01-01-2011, 09:33 PM
According to several NFL sources, Josh McDaniels is likely to be named the Offensive Coordinator of the Miami Dolphins under Head Coach Tony Sparano.

Will he be a head coach? Who knows...but one thing is certain, Brandon Marshall might come to hate him more if that comes true! Hahaha...

LOL.

Can you just see the look on Brandon Marshall's face when McD walks through the facility doors with the Miami OC job?

ROTFLMAO

I Eat Staples
01-01-2011, 09:34 PM
If he's ever a HC again, I can only hope he gets hired by a division rival. He's possibly the worst coach ever.

I wouldn't say its out of the question that another team will be stupid enough to hire him, but I can guarantee it will end as badly as his stay here did.

Dean
01-01-2011, 11:26 PM
The question as to whether Mckid will or won't become a head coach in the NFL again doesn't interest me. My concern is will he ever become a Denver Broncos head coach again. That question I can answer with confidence by not just saying no but hell no.

Lancane
01-01-2011, 11:53 PM
If he's ever a HC again, I can only hope he gets hired by a division rival. He's possibly the worst coach ever.

I wouldn't say its out of the question that another team will be stupid enough to hire him, but I can guarantee it will end as badly as his stay here did.

Funny you say that Staples, because it's official now that Weis has taken the offensive coordinator position at the University of Florida. That means that the Miami Dolphins are not the only team who will look to add Josh McDaniels as the offensive coordinator but the Chiefs will probably look to him as well. And if Hue Jackson does leave the Raiders he could be in contention for the same position there also.

Hahahaha...

BeefStew25
01-02-2011, 12:01 AM
I am over that puke. Let's move forward. And a little sideways.

BeefStew25
01-02-2011, 12:02 AM

Seriously. McD does not affect us anymore.

DenBronx
01-02-2011, 12:55 AM
you'd make more sense if there had never been an example of a young HC bombing in his first gig, only to go on to be a very successful coach. of course, at 33 (or whatever) no room left for growth in McDaniels. :rolleyes:

You would make more sense if he had never jetisoned 50% of the talent on the team. I don't care what age you are....that's just something you don't do. Is he not able to think or use his brain at 33?

:rolleyes:

zbeg
01-02-2011, 01:08 AM
You would make more sense if he had never jetisoned 50% of the talent on the team. I don't care what age you are....that's just something you don't do. Is he not able to think or use his brain at 33?

To be fair, he also acquired talent. Tebow could be defining this franchise for a long time to come (and was certainly a risky pick!), and Brandon Lloyd couldn't find anyone to even take a sniff until he got a call from McDaniels. Plus we don't know how other prospects like DT will pan out.

And let's not forget that had Shanahan not been fired, Brandon Marshall was going to be released. Outright. Without draft compensation. Just cut. See you. At least McDaniels had the sense to trade the guy and get some draft picks out of the deal.

DenBronx
01-02-2011, 01:25 AM
To be fair, he also acquired talent. Tebow could be defining this franchise for a long time to come (and was certainly a risky pick!), and Brandon Lloyd couldn't find anyone to even take a sniff until he got a call from McDaniels. Plus we don't know how other prospects like DT will pan out.

And let's not forget that had Shanahan not been fired, Brandon Marshall was going to be released. Outright. Without draft compensation. Just cut. See you. At least McDaniels had the sense to trade the guy and get some draft picks out of the deal.

this has to be one of the wackest things i've read in a while. why would we outright cut an all pro wr with no compensation?

do you have a link saying shanahan wanted to outright cut marshall? or, maybe if you think back to the end of 2009 mcdaniels not only benched marshall but he also benched sheffler with playoff hopes on the line.

shanahan would have never outright cut marshall. :coffee:

and yes, i'd still rather have cutler/marshall then tebow/lloyd.

zbeg
01-02-2011, 01:41 AM
this has to be one of the wackest things i've read in a while. why would we outright cut an all pro wr with no compensation?

do you have a link saying shanahan wanted to outright cut marshall? or, maybe if you think back to the end of 2009 mcdaniels not only benched marshall but he also benched sheffler with playoff hopes on the line.

shanahan would have never outright cut marshall. :coffee:

and yes, i'd still rather have cutler/marshall then tebow/lloyd.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/13/mort-shanahan-planned-to-cut-brandon-marshall/
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4469786

I just found the second story; I remembered reading the first when it happened. Sounds like Shanahan was going to get rid of Marshall come hell or high water, even if meant cutting him - but at least was reasonable enough to try a trade first. When the story was written last year, I didn't get that part; the headline was "Shanahan was planning to release Marshall."

DenBronx
01-02-2011, 01:56 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/13/mort-shanahan-planned-to-cut-brandon-marshall/
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4469786

I just found the second story; I remembered reading the first when it happened. Sounds like Shanahan was going to get rid of Marshall come hell or high water, even if meant cutting him - but at least was reasonable enough to try a trade first. When the story was written last year, I didn't get that part; the headline was "Shanahan was planning to release Marshall."

ok, but he could have easily traded him to benifit the organization. marshall was considered a top 5 wr. to outright cut him would have been a dumb move....something i think would have never happened even if shanahan would have stayed.

that would have been very mcdaniels like. :laugh:

BroncoStud
01-02-2011, 02:04 AM
In 10 years all of McDaniels antics here will be largely forgotten by the outside world and he will get more opportunity. He might be a good HC, but he sure sucks as a GM.

zbeg
01-02-2011, 02:23 AM
ok, but he could have easily traded him to benifit the organization. marshall was considered a top 5 wr. to outright cut him would have been a dumb move....something i think would have never happened even if shanahan would have stayed.

that would have been very mcdaniels like. :laugh:

Shanahan's capable of some pretty big bonehead moves. Still haven't gotten over the 1999 benching of Bubby Brister. That was a SB-ready team, and handing the franchise over to a guy who'd never started a game....

argh, blood pressure rising just thinking about it.

Northman
01-02-2011, 02:40 AM
Maybe if Bubby had taken it a little more serious he would of been the starter. But then again Shanahan was never that sold on bubby to begin with.

zbeg
01-02-2011, 02:48 AM
Maybe if Bubby had taken it a little more serious he would of been the starter. But then again Shanahan was never that sold on bubby to begin with.

Maybe not, but a half-serious Bubby is still better than a completely green Griese. And the way Shanahan handled it was a mistake; even he admits that.

Your window of winning a SB is so small - it takes so much to get the point where you have a SB-ready team. Throwing that chance away was a boneheaded move. Work with Bubby - don't just bench him and then not even talk to the team about it. Other than 2005, that was the last team that was good enough to win a SB, and the whole season was squandered for what, exactly?

Shanahan was around the Broncos for so long that he feels like a family member to me, but he was certainly very frustrating to watch at times. Seeing him benching McNabb in the last two minutes for Grossman reminded me of that, and I don't really miss it. I'm eternally grateful for what he did by bringing us two championships, but I'm glad he's not our coach anymore.

Northman
01-02-2011, 02:54 AM
Maybe not, but a half-serious Bubby is still better than a completely green Griese. And the way Shanahan handled it was a mistake; even he admits that.

Your window of winning a SB is so small - it takes so much to get the point where you have a SB-ready team. Throwing that chance away was a boneheaded move. Work with Bubby - don't just bench him and then not even talk to the team about it. Other than 2005, that was the last team that was good enough to win a SB, and the whole season was squandered for what, exactly?

Shanahan was around the Broncos for so long that he feels like a family member to me, but he was certainly very frustrating to watch at times. Seeing him benching McNabb in the last two minutes for Grossman reminded me of that, and I don't really miss it. I'm eternally grateful for what he did by bringing us two championships, but I'm glad he's not our coach anymore.

Certainly fair points but even with green rookies at the Qb position you can still succeed and go to the SB, Big Ben is proof of that. But i dont get caught up in hindsight. I mean, Griese still went and had a great 2000 campaign and at the time i dont think too many thought he would plummet after that as a player. Same thing with the Jake benching, but with McNabb its a whole different monster and made no sense whatsoever. Obviously he hasnt quite learned from his past mistakes so from that aspect i dont miss him either.

Dzone
01-02-2011, 05:55 AM
If he reads Dale Carnegie and learns people skills.

robert ethan
01-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Josh IS a good coach, WAS a good coach, and WILL BE a good coach. He is better than anyone in the league outside of Belichick at the moment, and that is just a matter of time and experience. Much better than anyone out of the league, including Ken Doll Harbaugh from Horse Head's old stomping grounds.

They are going to regret throwing Josh under that bus in that half assed attempt to bring in Harbaugh and Luck.

BroncoStud
01-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Josh IS a good coach, WAS a good coach, and WILL BE a good coach. He is better than anyone in the league outside of Belichick at the moment, and that is just a matter of time and experience. Much better than anyone out of the league, including Ken Doll Harbaugh from Horse Head's old stomping grounds.

They are going to regret throwing Josh under that bus in that half assed attempt to bring in Harbaugh and Luck.

You're kidding, right? A big part of coaching is having the respect of your coaches and players. It isn't X's and O's exclusively. Josh might be a GOOD or GREAT coordinator, but a Head Coach needs to be much more collected, much more diplomatic, and much more humble than Josh.

It might take him 10 years to learn the life lessons that will make him a decent Head Coach, he may never learn them.

horsepig
01-02-2011, 02:25 PM
He has to be kidding.

BroncoStud
01-02-2011, 02:32 PM
He has to be kidding.

He's not... Sadly.

Lancane
01-02-2011, 02:36 PM

http://www.joshmcdanielssucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/McDaniels-Dunce.jpg

:welcome:

BroncoBJ
01-02-2011, 02:45 PM

:lol: I'm a big Josh McDaniels fan and 1 of few on here that actually likes him. But hes not the 2nd best coach in the NFL. :lol:

You must just be a Patriot lover since the only one better then Josh is Bill. :coffee:

Elevation inc
01-02-2011, 03:05 PM
actualy with the amount of coaching jobs opening up, I would be completely suprised if he wasnt a head Coach next year, for whats its worth most players and NFL execs think he is a outstanding football coach, with a ego....but honestly his downfall here was a obsseison with getting his offesne above all over defense, having to much control and finally the spygate thing but if he is brought in just to be the HC without all the power he could easily have a team rocking next year...

DenBronx
01-02-2011, 03:32 PM

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k272/DenBronx/myspace-graphics-funnyanimations27.gif

dogfish
11-18-2011, 10:34 PM
sooo. . . a little past halfway through the season, i thought we'd re-visit this topic. . . in half a year, mcdaniels has the rams offense sitting dead last in the league in points scored at 12.6, a precipitous drop from their already-pathetic mark of 18.1 last year. . .

do over two-thirds of you really still think this bozo will be an NFL head coach again??

Tned
11-18-2011, 10:43 PM
sooo. . . a little past halfway through the season, i thought we'd re-visit this topic. . . in half a year, mcdaniels has the rams offense sitting dead last in the league in points scored at 12.6, a precipitous drop from their already-pathetic mark of 18.1 last year. . .

do over two-thirds of you really still think this bozo will be an NFL head coach again??

Yea, I think the bozo will get another head coaching gig down the road.

BeefStew25
11-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Mods please move to un-Bronco talk.

dogfish
11-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Yea, I think the bozo will get another head coaching gig down the road.

why?

Tned
11-18-2011, 11:11 PM
why?

I haven't followed the Rams enough to know exactly what's going in St. Louis. How much can be blamed on joshy. How much is due to the lack of WRs, etc.

So, I go back to what the worthless excuse for an ego-maniac did here. While Bowlen and company let a young, first time head coach also take on the GM role and go scorched earth on the roster, when it came to his football stuff from how he ran training camp, to sideline manner, to 'some' of his game planning, etc., I liked what he did.

He needs some failure to get his ego in check. To learn that as a head coach, he shouldn't get into pissing matches with players and then get rid of them if they don't bow down.

I think he's a smart football guy and I really think that he will have success again as an OC, and then be given another shot as a head coach, and then it wouldn't surprise me if he has success as a head coach.

Now, this ALL is predicated on him actually growing and getting the ego in check.

CrazyHorse
11-18-2011, 11:43 PM
I hope so for the Raiders.

Foochacho
11-19-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't even know how he still has a job.

hamrob
11-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Yes,

I couldn't stand the guy in Denver. Why? Because he was young, cocky and thought he knew it all...when he didn't have the experience to act like he did.

Trading a way Cutler, then dismantleing one of the best yound offenses in football...only to concentrate on drafting offense....was the most assinine thing I've seen anywhere in the NFL.

Having said that, he was a firey coach. He has a passion for football and he wants to win. Add to that...his drafts really weren't a total disaster. We're still waiting to see how it all turns out, but outside of Moreno/Quinn/Smith...he did o.k. Walton, Beadles, Tebow, Decker, Thomas and Ayers are all playing well right now.

He'll definitely get his chance. If he's learned from his past experience, he'll do well.

hamrob
11-19-2011, 12:04 PM

They are going to regret throwing Josh under that bus in that half assed attempt to bring in Harbaugh and Luck.Wow, I'd be surprised if he cracked the top 50 right now. The guy has potential...but, he's clearly not one of the best 32. I can't see anybody hiring him next year either. His best hope is to get Bradford clicking on all cylanders and then maybe he gets another oppurtunity.

hamrob
11-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Oh, let me eat crow too.

For as much as I HATED HIM. I was one of the guys who wanted us to hire him. He was my #1 guy. I thought he would be the perfect fit for Cutler and our young offense. All we would need to do is draft defense. Youch....man was I wrong!!!

He absolutely dismantled a decent team and made it a bottom dweller. Is he talented? Yes, is his ego bigger than his experience............YES!

It's nice to see Broncos Football back in Denver. Step 1, get rid of McD. Step 2, bench Orton. Step 3, win football games. Hey, now we are getting somewhere.