PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels settles with the Broncos

PAINTERDAVE
01-01-2011, 12:57 PM
The DenverPost is reporting that the Broncos have reached a settlement with Mcdaniels.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16985125

The Broncos have reached a termination settlement with former head coach Josh McDaniels, who was fired Dec. 6. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed. McDaniels was under contract to make $3.2 million in 2011 and $3.7 million in 2012, the final years of his four-year contract.

Read more: Orton feels wanted, but his status uncertain - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16985125#ixzz19o8Viq7b
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

tripleoption
01-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm sure McDaniels won't be hurtin for cash anytime soon

Northman
01-01-2011, 01:08 PM
No, he wont be hurting. Easiest money he's ever made.

spikerman
01-01-2011, 01:08 PM
I wonder how much the Broncos are demanding from him for setting the franchise back 5-10 years.

spikerman
01-01-2011, 01:10 PM
No, he wont be hurting. Easiest money he's ever made.

I'm not so sure about that. It takes a lot of work to totally wreck a franchise in only two years. The more I think about it and consider the moves he made, he had to have done it on purpose. It's the only reason that many of his moves make any sense.

PAINTERDAVE
01-01-2011, 01:11 PM
I wonder how much the Broncos are demanding from him for setting the franchise back 5-10 years.

I spit milk out of my nose when I read this... GREAT LINE!

honz
01-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Lol, he didn't set the franchise back 5 years. He ****** up, but we still have NFL players on our team.

WARHORSE
01-01-2011, 01:16 PM
I think if McDaniels can learn from his time here, he will become a great HC for some team down the road.

Good luck Josh.....just wasnt meant to be.:salute:

atwater27
01-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Lol, he didn't set the franchise back 5 years. He ****** up, but we still have NFL players on our team.

Carolina has NFL players on their team. So do most Canadian football teams.

spikerman
01-01-2011, 01:17 PM

According to that article that came out yesterday from the DP, very few, and most of those were brought in by the previous guy.

spikerman
01-01-2011, 01:17 PM
I think if McDaniels can learn from his time here, he will become a great HC for some team down the road.

That may be true, it just sucks that our favorite team was his mulligan. The Broncos will be his "what not to do" example.

Northman
01-01-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm not so sure about that. It takes a lot of work to totally wreck a franchise in only two years. The more I think about it and consider the moves he made, he had to have done it on purpose. It's the only reason that many of his moves make any sense.

It does, well damn. I would take that money i can guarantee you i can destroy the Patriots in 1 month. Just give me a chance coach!! - Ace Ventura. :lol:

Lancane
01-01-2011, 01:18 PM

You meant in High School correct? I don't even think a UFL team would hire him right now!

:lol:

tripleoption
01-01-2011, 01:20 PM

War, I'm gonna have to grudgingly agree with you there. He's still very young, and was not ready for a head job at the time. I think it was a case where Bowlen wanted to make a splash and hire some young turk. Happens at every level.

honz
01-01-2011, 01:21 PM
If you disregard records...which I know can't totally be done, but work with me...we are basically in the same situation that Shanny left us in. Our offense should be pretty set going forward and our D is full of a bunch of guys probably making their last stop in the NFL and then a handful of keepers. It will be an uphill battle, but you can rebuild pretty fast in this league now days.

tripleoption
01-01-2011, 01:21 PM
It does, well damn. I would take that money i can guarantee you i can destroy the Patriots in 1 month. Just give me a chance coach!! - Ace Ventura. :lol:

I'd like to be hired by Al Davis so I can destroy the Raiders :laugh:

Dzone
01-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Maybe Mcdaniels will get a TV job working with Matt Millen...they can talk about how to sabotage and derail a franchise.

atwater27
01-01-2011, 01:27 PM
If you disregard records...which I know can't totally be done, but work with me...we are basically in the same situation that Shanny left us in. Our offense should be pretty set going forward and our D is full of a bunch of guys probably making their last stop in the NFL and then a handful of keepers. It will be an uphill battle, but you can rebuild pretty fast in this league now days.

I don't know about that..

QB- The jury is still out. I'd still rather have Cutler, but Tebow has shown promising signs.

RB- One injury prone starter with slightly above average skills. ZERO depth. No Hillis or Torain.

WR- no question, a ton of talent... yet Bey Bey and Decker still have serious injury questions that could haunt them their entire careers.

TE- HA!

OL- We HAD a great zone blocking scheme a couple seasons ago. Now we have a line in flux with no identity.

Defense....

the 3-4 hasn't done us any favors. Don't even know if we want to stay with it to tell you the truth. I certainly don't want our current scheme to stop us from getting Fairley.

You can rebuild fast nowadays...... with the right leadership. We don't have that right now. We very well may not get it.

Dzone
01-01-2011, 01:28 PM
PS-Some thanks is due Josh for bringing Tebowmania to Colorado!

But no thanks for Ayers and Smith...Had we used those picks on better players, we might not be in the defensive mess we are in.

honz
01-01-2011, 01:31 PM
I think Ayers would be a lot better fit as a 4-3 DE. He is an absolute beast against the run, but his pass rushing has definitely been disappointing.

topscribe
01-01-2011, 01:31 PM
PS-Some thanks is due Josh for bringing Tebowmania to Colorado!

But no thanks for Ayers and Smith...Had we used those picks on better players, we might not be in the defensive mess we are in.

Smith, yes. But I look for Ayers to break out this next year . . .

-----

Northman
01-01-2011, 01:33 PM
I'd like to be hired by Al Davis so I can destroy the Raiders :laugh:

That was my first thought but that would be too easy. I wanted a challenge. :D

TXBRONC
01-01-2011, 01:33 PM
That may be true, it just sucks that our favorite team was his mulligan. The Broncos will be his "what not to do" example.

Learn from his gaffes in coaching decisions is one thing. Changing yourself is an entirely different matter. The chances of him making it as a head coach are slim if he doesn't learn how to work with people.

Northman
01-01-2011, 01:34 PM
I think Ayers would be a lot better fit as a 4-3 DE. He is an absolute beast against the run, but his pass rushing has definitely been disappointing.

Unfortuantely, Doom worked his best in the 3-4 so where do you go from there? Do you build to suit Ayers or Doom?

TXBRONC
01-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Unfortuantely, Doom worked his best in the 3-4 so where do you go from there? Do you build to suit Ayers or Doom?

Dumervil because he's already shown he can be an elite pass rusher.

atwater27
01-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Dumervil because he's already shown he can be an elite pass rusher.

Yet Doom has shown he can rush the passer just fine in both systems.

Dzone
01-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Smith, yes. But I look for Ayers to break out this next year . . .

-----
I hope youre right. Ayers is desperately needed. Ive seen him look good at times. He just hasnt made the sacks or tackles we need him to make. Maybe hes a late bloomer

Dzone
01-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Dumervil led the nation in sacks at Louisville playing out of a 4-3

TXBRONC
01-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Yet Doom has shown he can rush the passer just fine in both systems.

That's true but I think he's better suited to a 3-4.

honz
01-01-2011, 01:41 PM
I don't know about that..

QB- The jury is still out. I'd still rather have Cutler, but Tebow has shown promising signs.

RB- One injury prone starter with slightly above average skills. ZERO depth. No Hillis or Torain.

WR- no question, a ton of talent... yet Bey Bey and Decker still have serious injury questions that could haunt them their entire careers.

TE- HA!

OL- We HAD a great zone blocking scheme a couple seasons ago. Now we have a line in flux with no identity.

Defense....

the 3-4 hasn't done us any favors. Don't even know if we want to stay with it to tell you the truth. I certainly don't want our current scheme to stop us from getting Fairley.

You can rebuild fast nowadays...... with the right leadership. We don't have that right now. We very well may not get it.
Fair points, but a few counterpoints: Moreno has looked very good when he has gotten decent blocking and room to run, I don't think you can argue our run blocking has been pathetic the past year and a half or so. Also, Torain is pretty injury prone as well. I wish we still had Hillis, but I honestly don't think he is THAT special. He has really slowed down after his torrid start. Definitely a useful weapon though.

Lots of depth at WR, but Bey Bey does need to stay healthy. Decker has been healthy all year though, I think...just hard for him to get on the field with Lloyd, Gaff, Royal, and Thomas here. He has been playing more lately though.

Hard to argue our TE's don't suck...Graham is way overpaid for what he brings to the table these days.

It doesn't seem like scheme change should have effected our OLine as much as it did, especially pass blocking. Not sure what happened there...and the jury is still out on Beadles.

Our defense sucks. Only players worth keeping: Champ, Goodman (he's been really good when healthy), McBath (although can he be starter???), Cox, Thompson, Vaughn as a special teamer and depth guy, Ayers, DJ, Doom, Bannan, and Vickerson...off the top of my head.

honz
01-01-2011, 01:44 PM

I think it had more to do with the way Nolan disguised his blitzes and stuff than the actual move to LB. He still got almost all of his sacks from being lined up with his hand on the ground and simply rushing the QB. Doom had a 13 sack season or something as a DE didn't he?

BroncoWave
01-01-2011, 01:46 PM
To those who insist that McD set the team back 5 years, give me a break. Teams with 5 or fewer wins turn it around to make the playoffs every single year. You can turn it around in the NFL quicker than any other sport. We have some damn drama queens on here.

scott.475
01-01-2011, 02:03 PM
I would have wrecked a team, though not my Broncos, for half that amount, heck, 1/3 that amount.

I don't think McD will probably be a successful HC until he matures in the way he deals with people and becomes less petulant. One of the biggest mysteries I have is why he refused to start Tebow sooner, even though he brought him in. The only thing I can think is he had made up his mind that Orton was going to be the starter this year and no one and nothing was going to change his mind. The more the season looked to be lost and the more he was asked about starting Tebow, the more he dug in his heels to stay with Orton because to do otherwise would be giving in to the challenge to his authority. Nothing else makes sense, I think his stubbornness is his downfall.

spikerman
01-01-2011, 02:10 PM
To those who insist that McD set the team back 5 years, give me a break. Teams with 5 or fewer wins turn it around to make the playoffs every single year. You can turn it around in the NFL quicker than any other sport. We have some damn drama queens on here.

Well, as one of the apparent "drama queens" let me spell it out for you. It's not the record, it's the talent that he shipped away and did not replace in the process that has wrecked the team.

BroncoWave
01-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Well, as one of the apparent "drama queens" let me spell it out for you. It's not the record, it's the talent that he shipped away and did not replace in the process that has wrecked the team.

There's a thing called the salary cap that keeps talent pretty evenly distributed throughout the league. We'll sign a few free agents and have a chance to add some talent in the draft. It's not like we have a team full of no-talent hacks. We have good players. Things are never as good or as bad as they seem in the NFL.

BroncoJoe
01-01-2011, 02:17 PM
It doesn't seem like scheme change should have effected our OLine as much as it did, especially pass blocking. Not sure what happened there...

Injuries/shuffling players. It isn't a coincidence Moreno started having 100 yard games once they were all back, AND in their natural positions.

spikerman
01-01-2011, 02:21 PM
There's a thing called the salary cap that keeps talent pretty evenly distributed throughout the league. We'll sign a few free agents and have a chance to add some talent in the draft. Things are never as bad as they seem in the NFL. It's not like we have a team full of no-talent hacks. We have good players. Things are never as good or as bad as they seem in the NFL.

In most cases I would agree with you; however, I think McDaniels shipped off far more talent than he brought in. Denver appears to be weak everywhere. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't think the offense is as far along as a lot of fans appear to believe. I think Denver is excruciatingly weak in all three phases of the game. All because the Broncos lack talent across the board.

I know there has already been another thread about it, but apparently I'm not the only one who believes Denver is fairly devoid of talent.

Those personnel executives see an aging, thin roster facing a large talent deficit. Some of it is because of the number of moves McDaniels and the team's personnel department made with the more than three dozen players who were brought in or sent packing in his 22 months on the job.

Of the 53 players on the Broncos' roster, 40 arrived in the last two seasons. That's 74 percent of the roster, and there are another five players on injured reserve who were brought in by the team since the start of 2009.

The personnel execs also say that when the Broncos, under McDaniels, traded away players such as Jay Cutler, Peyton Hillis, Brandon Marshall and Alphonso Smith, they didn't get comparably ranked talent in return.

Read more: Talent-deprived Broncos facing major makeover - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16978932#ixzz19oTLZCrK
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Lancane
01-01-2011, 02:25 PM

Every major pro-sport analyst agrees that he's set the team back a few years, even Michael Lombardi who is about a big a McDaniels supporter as you can find right now agreed with that. Everyone of them has said that we are about as deprived of talent as Buffalo and Carolina at this time! So that is a matter of opinion that is more openly believed then how you see it.

Dzone
01-01-2011, 02:27 PM
yesterdays Denver post had an article about this very topic of Denver being depleted of talent. read it.
I also agree that teams in the NFL can turn their fortunes around fast with some savvy and lucky personnel moves.

Dzone
01-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Since we are talking about the current talent, how have the two rookies on the OLine graded out this year? Will they be starters next year or do they need to be replaced?

Dapper Dan
01-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Every major pro-sport analyst agrees that he's set the team back a few years, even Michael Lombardi who is about a big a McDaniels supporter as you can find right now agreed with that. Everyone of them has said that we are about as deprived of talent as Buffalo and Carolina at this time! So that is a matter of opinion that is more openly believed then how you see it.

Because these 'experts' are always right.

Dapper Dan
01-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Does anyone know what defense Indy runs? If I'm not mistaken Freeny plays a DE for 4 down linemen. I couldn't find out what they run. I am just curious.

I was wondering since Doom is a Freeny-type player.

BroncoTech
01-01-2011, 03:07 PM

I think he joins Nolan and Singletary as former head coaches who probably wont get another chance at being a NFL HC. I don't think Josh could get a college HC job right now, the other 2, maybe.

Dzone
01-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Mark my words, He will be on ESPN. If a total loser like Millen can get hired there, surely they can find a place for another loser, Mcdaniels

Cugel
01-01-2011, 03:10 PM

Yeah. Just about the time this happens:

http://janeheller.mlblogs.com/flying-pig.jpg

Cugel
01-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Because these 'experts' are always right.

Well, they are in this case, and YOU are wrong! :coffee:

PAINTERDAVE
01-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Since we are talking about the current talent, how have the two rookies on the OLine graded out this year? Will they be starters next year or do they need to be replaced?

You've got to give 'em more time... they stay and start.

Along with the new draft picks on the D-line...
they gotta just strat and learn and grow and get experienced.

topscribe
01-01-2011, 05:21 PM
I hope youre right. Ayers is desperately needed. Ive seen him look good at times. He just hasnt made the sacks or tackles we need him to make. Maybe hes a late bloomer

Mike Mayock said he would be a late bloomer. He said by Ayers' third year,
that Ayers would be the best defender in his class. So I think this next year
is his third? So we'll see . . .

-----

dogfish
01-01-2011, 05:28 PM
You meant in High School correct? I don't even think a UFL team would hire him right now!

:lol:

come on, cane-- what about 59-14 doesn't scream "great head coach material" to you?

i don't care about bowlen's money-- i wish he could be forced to get hillis and our #14 overall pick back for us. . . :laugh:

:doh:

spikerman
01-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Mike Mayock said he would be a late bloomer. He said by Ayers' third year,
that Ayers would be the best defender in his class. So I think this next year
is his third? So we'll see . . .

-----

Unless Ayers starts giving more effort he'll never even be an average player.

topscribe
01-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Unless Ayers starts giving more effort he'll never even be an average player.

Well, I don't know about the effort thing. Ayers has been injured most of the season . . .

-----

spikerman
01-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Well, I don't know about the effort thing. Ayers has been injured most of the season . . .

-----

The last few weeks I've started focusing on Ayers and he lacks what my old football coach used to call "want to". IMO, injuries have nothing to do with it. He's not putting out the effort. If what we're seeing on the field is the best he can do, whether it be due to injuries or some other issue, then he has no business being out there until everything is right.

Every NFL player is playing hurt right now.. most of them are just doing it better than Ayers.

topscribe
01-01-2011, 05:34 PM
The last few weeks I've started focusing on Ayers and he lacks what my old football coach used to call "want to". IMO, injuries have nothing to do with it. He's not putting out the effort. If what we're seeing on the field is the best he can do, whether it be due to injuries or some other issue, then he has no business being out there until everything is right.

Every NFL player is playing hurt right now.. most of them are just doing it better than Ayers.

You may be right. We'll see next year . . .

-----

claymore
01-01-2011, 05:41 PM

I focus on Ayers every time he is active, and I can get a game. The dude is always a step behind, or completely out of place.

I had high hopes for him. But the same can be said for Moss...

topscribe
01-01-2011, 06:17 PM
I focus on Ayers every time he is active, and I can get a game. The dude is always a step behind, or completely out of place.

I had high hopes for him. But the same can be said for Moss...

Hi Clay! :wave:

-----

scott.475
01-01-2011, 07:01 PM
i don't care about bowlen's money-- i wish he could be forced to get hillis and our #14 overall pick back for us. . . :laugh: :doh:

Any future reference to what we gave up for Brady Quinn should be swiftly and mercilessly sent to the black hole of eternal pain. Un-freaking-believable.

zbeg
01-01-2011, 08:54 PM

I don't think it's even possible to set a franchise back for 5 years, let alone 10. Ten years? What could you possibly do to set a franchise back that they couldn't recover a decade later? Set the stadium on fire? It doesn't take ten years to build a new stadium. Kidnap Pat Bowlen and lock him up in the basement for ten years? Even if he traded the entire 2010 draft for the right to Ryan Leaf, it's a bad draft class - the Broncos get picks every year. Two drafts? Three drafts? Maaaaybe if he traded every pick for three drafts, you could get to the five year point. Maybe. Ten years?

I can't even come up with an implausible scenario where a franchise is set back ten years, let alone one that's remotely plausible.

milehigh
01-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Mark my words, He will be on ESPN. If a total loser like Millen can get hired there, surely they can find a place for another loser, Mcdaniels

No way McDaniels takes a job in the media he is pretty socially awkard. I remember reading that he had to get someone to help him get better at public speaking. On top of that I'm sure he probably has some disdain for the media based on what they have written/said about him.

scott.475
01-01-2011, 10:47 PM
I don't think it's even possible to set a franchise back for 5 years, let alone 10. Ten years? What could you possibly do to set a franchise back that they couldn't recover a decade later? Set the stadium on fire? It doesn't take ten years to build a new stadium. Kidnap Pat Bowlen and lock him up in the basement for ten years? Even if he traded the entire 2010 draft for the right to Ryan Leaf, it's a bad draft class - the Broncos get picks every year. Two drafts? Three drafts? Maaaaybe if he traded every pick for three drafts, you could get to the five year point. Maybe. Ten years?

I can't even come up with an implausible scenario where a franchise is set back ten years, let alone one that's remotely plausible.

I think it is safe to say the Ryan Leaf deal set the Chargers back five years, they gave up a ton to draft that guy, the financial impact there was felt for years. Might be able to say the same regarding the Saints and Ricky Williams, but they were already pretty bad.

Not saying we are there, but it certainly is possible for it to happen for 5 years.

Shazam!
01-01-2011, 11:16 PM
The NYJ and Miami were both 1-15 and were turned around in one year with Team Tuna at the helm. Neither team had a young QB as gifted as Tim Tebow either.

If a proven Coach is brought in, Denver can be competitive immediately.

Canmore
01-01-2011, 11:42 PM
The NYJ and Miami were both 1-15 and were turned around in one year with Team Tuna at the helm. Neither team had a young QB as gifted as Tim Tebow either.

With the wholes we have to fill, you're a lot more optimistic than I am, however, I hope we bring in the right man. Who that is, I don't know. Let's hope our FO makes a shrewd decision.

zbeg
01-02-2011, 12:17 AM
I think it is safe to say the Ryan Leaf deal set the Chargers back five years, they gave up a ton to draft that guy, the financial impact there was felt for years. Might be able to say the same regarding the Saints and Ricky Williams, but they were already pretty bad.

Not saying we are there, but it certainly is possible for it to happen for 5 years.

Four years after the Leaf pick, they had drafted Brees and Tomlinson, plus got value for trading down (they had the #1 overall pick and access to Vick). Leaf's probably as close as it gets, but even that's a little dubious. I guess the Chargers' decision to stick with Leaf for four years did set them back.

In any case, yes - that's a very drama queen statement about McDaniels setting the team back 5-10 years.

dogfish
01-02-2011, 04:26 AM

even if that proven coach doesn't have a competent personnel executive to work with?

claymore
01-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Four years after the Leaf pick, they had drafted Brees and Tomlinson, plus got value for trading down (they had the #1 overall pick and access to Vick). Leaf's probably as close as it gets, but even that's a little dubious. I guess the Chargers' decision to stick with Leaf for four years did set them back.

In any case, yes - that's a very drama queen statement about McDaniels setting the team back 5-10 years.

McDaniels set us back 5 years at the least. 2 years no franchise QB, Now Tebow MIGHT be a franchise QB ... So there is 3 years before he starts to get it.

thats 5 years. IF everything goes well with the new regime and players we will be winning games in 5 years.

I personally dont believe in Tebow yet. So Im not as optimistic as most.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2011, 12:58 PM

I don't think so. Franchise QBs don't come around for you to PICK very often. Rarely. Ask the Dolphins, Cowboys, 49ers, and Steelers. Teams that had franchise QBs, won Super Bowls with top QBs, and had to wait decades bfeore getting the next.

Marshall was the MOST TALENTED WR this franchise has EVER had... EVER.

McD got rid of both in a timespan of ONE year. He absolutely, set this team back 10 years from where it could have been, would have been, had we not had to waste picks to replace the talent that we pushed out the door.

BroncoStud
01-02-2011, 01:52 PM
He made a lot of money to do a lot of damage.

jhildebrand
01-02-2011, 08:35 PM
I don't think so. Franchise QBs don't come around for you to PICK very often. Rarely. Ask the Dolphins, Cowboys, 49ers, and Steelers. Teams that had franchise QBs, won Super Bowls with top QBs, and had to wait decades bfeore getting the next.

Marshall was the MOST TALENTED WR this franchise has EVER had... EVER.

McD got rid of both in a timespan of ONE year. He absolutely, set this team back 10 years from where it could have been, would have been, had we not had to waste picks to replace the talent that we pushed out the door.

While I agree that McD set this team back (by my perception 2-3 seasons at a minimum) I disagree on franchise QB's coming around as often. The college game has improved to the point where every year there is a can't miss guy! The problem is some teams draft that guy when they aren't ready and play them right away i.e. Smith in SF Carr in Houston even Stafford in Detroit.

This team needs to worry about every position but QB right now and build a team around Tebow. I am not saying he is the franchise but I would rather plug all the holes around him and see if he is going to workout or not before destroying another QB. He either creates trade value and we move him or he proves himself. Either way, the Broncos win.

In the end, I would much rather a QB fail who had so many questions around him to begin with than get a CANT MISS in Luck and ruin him.

jhildebrand
01-02-2011, 08:36 PM
By the way, I get the feeling Bowlen didn't need to pay a lot of money to settle with McDaniels.

I have a feeling they had some good dirt on him and basically had him in a position where he might not ever see work in this league again had he not settled.