PDA

View Full Version : Chat with Adam Schefter

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Many interesting things on his chat, but the following on the Broncos:

Alastair Law (Bangor, Northern Ireland)

Adam, loved you as the cover reporter with the Denver Post, but unlike the Broncos, you seem to have gone on to bigger and better things. Who's your money on as the next Broncos head coach? And how much of an impact will the rumoured Elway return have on the organisation? Thanks for your great insight - and books - over the years! Thoroughly enjoyed. Happy New Year one and all from Ireland by the way!!

Adam Schefter (2:36 PM)

Thanks for the kind words, Alastair, much appreciated. Hard for me to know the Broncos next head coach when they don't know. I'd look for them to hire an NFL assistant coach, not a former big-named head coach. I'd like for him to have a defensive background. But they really don't know. They've been sifting through candidates and a lot will depend on what the newly structured front office says. And that front office will include John Elway, who will have a major say as well. Going to be interesting. Thanks again.

Rick (Long Island, NY)

Hi Adam, happy new year! It's obvious Elway is joining the Bronco front office, but simply being who he is doesn't qualify him to make day to day football decisions...who do you hear for GM/coach? Big name? Newcomer? How bout Fassel as coach and Fox as DC...worked well with the Giants...

Adam Schefter (2:48 PM)

That's what they're now trying to work out, Rick. Elway will be a part of the front office, probably as Executive Vice President, and they have to decide whether they want Brian Xanders to keep his general manager job and responsibilities or alter his title and responsibilities. But Elway will be there, Xanders is expected to be retained, and that's where it will start to get interesting. They're still uncertain how it will work out.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/36218/nfl-insider-adam-schefter

spikerman
01-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Thanks Carol. It's a little troubling to me that he doesn't think the Broncos really know what they want to do yet. I would imagine these discussions have been going on since the end of our long national nightmare that was the Josh(y) McDaniels era.

TXBRONC
01-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks Carol. It's a little troubling to me that he doesn't think the Broncos really know what they want to do yet. I would imagine these discussions have been going on since the end of our long national nightmare that was the Josh(y) McDaniels era.

I rather they take their time rather than rush into something. Obviously they can't pussyfoot around indefinitely but my hope is that in taking their time they get it right.

spikerman
01-01-2011, 12:37 AM
I rather they take their time rather than rush into something. Obviously they can't pussyfoot around indefinitely but my hope is that in taking their time they get it right.

I agree with you 100 percent. It would just concern me if they still don't have an idea of what direction they want to go.

TXBRONC
01-01-2011, 12:53 AM
I agree with you 100 percent. It would just concern me if they still don't have an idea of what direction they want to go.

Well if they don't get right we'll hire Hochuli's law firm to Bowlen's ass for causing us hardship. :D

PAINTERDAVE
01-01-2011, 03:30 AM
It is inconceivable to me that they have not been doing their due diligence.
The fact of McD's early firing gives them a leg up
on all the franchises that will wait to fire their head coaches until later.

San Fran already scheduled an interview with Ted Sundquist for GM.

I cant believe they are just sitting on their hands wasting this precious time
and squandering the jump we have on the other teams.

Yes... a good decision needs to be made...
but taking a little time or a lot of time does not equate to either a good decision or a bad one...
but taking a lot of time does make it more likely that good candidates get taken before we have a chance.

Maye a good decision guys... but do it with alacrity and sound deliberation in a reasonable period of time.

Dragging tail right now is NOT in our best interest.

atwater27
01-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Schefter seems to think Cowher is not interested in any of the job openings this season. what a prima donna. I thought he was Steeler tough and up to a challenge. Prolly waiting for a warm weather coastal team to open up. Pansy.

cardoso
01-01-2011, 12:25 PM
These guys haven't even interviewed a GM! What the hell are they waiting for! ? ! I hope they know what they're doing because the last time we went through this they sure as hell didn't know.

spikerman
01-01-2011, 12:27 PM
These guys haven't even interviewed a GM! What the hell are they waiting for! ? ! I hope they know what they're doing because the last time we went through this they sure as hell didn't know.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they've already decided on Xanders as the GM

Dzone
01-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks Carol.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2011, 12:56 PM
This was posted on the DP on 12-28:

NFL teams searching for a new head coach get started next week with the window to interview candidates who are with playoff teams that have a first-round bye.

Assistant coaches from the best teams, in other words.

After the bye week, assistant coaches with playoff teams can't interview for head coaching jobs until their team is eliminated, or the week before the Super Bowl.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16954518

jhildebrand
01-01-2011, 01:16 PM
I have been saying this for a while now: Schefter is no longer the golden gospel when it comes to the Broncos. That left when Shanahan left. He has been 50/50 as of late.

I think the Broncos may be further than Schefter let on. I just think they are playing it close to the vest. With so many teams hiring, they are better off with a policy of silence.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2011, 01:25 PM
I have been saying this for a while now: Schefter is no longer the golden gospel when it comes to the Broncos. That left when Shanahan left. He has been 50/50 as of late.

I think the Broncos may be further than Schefter let on. I just think they are playing it close to the vest. With so many teams hiring, they are better off with a policy of silence.

Absolutely - not only policy of silence, but the DP article outlines when they can start talking with personnel on other NFL teams. I am sure they have a "wish list", but of course, they are not going to make that public.

horsepig
01-01-2011, 01:26 PM

but taking a little time or a lot of time does not equate to either a good decision or a bad one...
but taking a lot of time does make it more likely that good candidates get taken before we have a chance.

Maye a good decision guys... but do it with alacrity and sound deliberation in a reasonable period of time.

I remember when they hired McD thinking, wow--you've got a billion dollar, highly visible business to run and you hire a guy after dinner at a restaurant and a couple interviews, a REALLY young guy to boot.

I sort of liked the hire at first, but it sure got weird fast.

I just think you should know just who this guy really is before you hand over the reins to a franchise like this. That's why I'm kind of pulling for either Rivera or Dennison--they should know a LOT about these two and not end up being surprised by nutty behaviour.

jhildebrand
01-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Absolutely - not only policy of silence, but the DP article outlines when they can start talking with personnel on other NFL teams. I am sure they have a "wish list", but of course, they are not going to make that public.

Which I prefer. SF on the other hand seems to be publicizing their every intent. I guess that could be some mis-direction but it doesn't seem like it.

hamrob
01-01-2011, 03:30 PM
I think Fassel and Fox would be pretty nice!!!

That's my best guess...at an Elway booty!!!

Cugel
01-01-2011, 03:33 PM

It IS consistent with the articles that claim the Broncos intend to announce that Brian Xanders will be kept and will have the "final say" on all player personnel decisions.

If they are set on keeping Xanders and giving HIM responsibility, then they wouldn't bother with a search for a new GM!

tomjonesrocks
01-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Schefter seems to think Cowher is not interested in any of the job openings this season. what a prima donna. I thought he was Steeler tough and up to a challenge. Prolly waiting for a warm weather coastal team to open up. Pansy.

Don't know whether you're being sarcastic or not--and Schefter is a reliable source--but ESPN ran a report that Cowher's preferred teams were NYG, Houston, and MIA -- in that order.

Houston keeps giving mixed signals as the owner clearly would prefer not to part with Kubiak if he can help it. But who wouldn't want to inherit that offensive roster?

He obviously wants no part of Denver though and why would he--the league's second largest project if you actually rank Carolina below Denver--which is arguable.

Hillis being here might have changed that--what with the "second coming of Jerome Bettis" on the roster...

atwater27
01-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Don't know whether you're being sarcastic or not--and Schefter is a reliable source--but ESPN ran a report that Cowher's preferred teams were NYG, Houston, and MIA -- in that order.

Houston keeps giving mixed signals as the owner clearly would prefer not to part with Kubiak if he can help it. But who wouldn't want to inherit that offensive roster?

He obviously wants no part of Denver though and why would he--the league's second largest project if you actually rank Carolina below Denver--which is arguable.

Hillis being here might have changed that--what with the "second coming of Jerome Bettis" on the roster...

McFired. LMAO, love the sig.

I'm just bitter that we are so ****** up that the best coaches are running the other way. Noone is up to the challenge. Thanks alot Josh.:mad::mad: