PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, but i got to rain on our parade some :(

underrated29
09-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Yes great win, jay, eddie, oline all tore it up!

But we need to realize some things and maybe its just me.

Our Defense still is not very good!!!

Yeah, we held them to 14 points and 270 total yards or something like that. We also shut down a very very good rushing attack. ( faid is underrated in that aspect, they are very good and i expect them to get even better.)

But lets look back and see just how bad our defense still is. First, we played against a shitty offense- all they can do is run! Thats it. Yet we still let them drive on us almost at will. If not for their stupid penalties they would have had some extended drives. Also, the raiders oline is mesh- we are not going to see that against other teams.

How many times last night did we get lucky. 1 long pass over the middle to curry. Had russel made a better throw or this be mid season that would have been a catch and a TD. (now they have 21 pts instead.)

How about that other pass that was just overthrown to the TE?, not sure who. Had that been mid season that would have been a TD (now 28 pts)

Plus, the fact that they fumbled in the redzone and this game is a lot closer than we think. Obviously, it didnt happen and these are a lot of "WHAT IF'S" but we need to understand that this is the radiers.

A team that cant pass, and can only run. A team with no oline, and a crappy defense. Yes we put up 41pts on them. Yes, the oline gave jay 5 minutes to throw. Do you really think this will happen agian next week?

The chargers have a 1000x better dline then the faid. Their corners arent as good, but still top notch. On top of that they have a great 3-4 d that puts pressure on the qb- with or without merriman. I hope that we put up 41 on the bolts. But seriously, 28 is about the max i see. Maybe even less.

Our defense got a little pressure on a crappy oline, what will it do against a good bolts oline? I understand that we did blitz a lot last game and we didnt bring the heat like i really think we are capable of, but the bolts can pick up the blitz- and so far this year (preseason too) we can be passed on pretty easily. That was always our biggest problem 3 years ago when coyer was here.

we got the corner but we cant stop the pass- sorry to be such a downer, but i still do not like our defense very much at all. Hope i am wrong, hope we own the bolts but i an very weary.

PS- for the record i still think we will win, and i think we will score more than they will. Our offense is going to be good even agianst them, but we cant rely on offense alone like the pats did last year.

Northman
09-09-2008, 12:02 PM
I think everyone knows this was a bit of a aberration. But, laying a beatdown on the Raiders on opening night in their house is still cause for celebration. I know we have more work to do but im going to go ahead and enjoy this win. \m/

Denver Native (Carol)
09-09-2008, 12:05 PM
In the first half, neither the defense or special teams impressed me, but what did impress me were the halftime adjustments. Both units looked MUCH better in the second half.

GEM
09-09-2008, 12:08 PM

Yeah, we held them to 14 points and 270 total yards or something like that. We also shut down a very very good rushing attack. ( faid is underrated in that aspect, they are very good and i expect them to get even better.)

But lets look back and see just how bad our defense still is. First, we played against a shitty offense- all they can do is run! Thats it. Yet we still let them drive on us almost at will. If not for their stupid penalties they would have had some extended drives. Also, the raiders oline is mesh- we are not going to see that against other teams.

How many times last night did we get lucky. 1 long pass over the middle to curry. Had russel made a better throw or this be mid season that would have been a catch and a TD. (now they have 21 pts instead.)

How about that other pass that was just overthrown to the TE?, not sure who. Had that been mid season that would have been a TD (now 28 pts)

Plus, the fact that they fumbled in the redzone and this game is a lot closer than we think. Obviously, it didnt happen and these are a lot of "WHAT IF'S" but we need to understand that this is the radiers.

A team that cant pass, and can only run. A team with no oline, and a crappy defense. Yes we put up 41pts on them. Yes, the oline gave jay 5 minutes to throw. Do you really think this will happen agian next week?

The chargers have a 1000x better dline then the faid. Their corners arent as good, but still top notch. On top of that they have a great 3-4 d that puts pressure on the qb- with or without merriman. I hope that we put up 41 on the bolts. But seriously, 28 is about the max i see. Maybe even less.

Our defense got a little pressure on a crappy oline, what will it do against a good bolts oline? I understand that we did blitz a lot last game and we didnt bring the heat like i really think we are capable of, but the bolts can pick up the blitz- and so far this year (preseason too) we can be passed on pretty easily. That was always our biggest problem 3 years ago when coyer was here.

we got the corner but we cant stop the pass- sorry to be such a downer, but i still do not like our defense very much at all. Hope i am wrong, hope we own the bolts but i an very weary.

PS- for the record i still think we will win, and i think we will score more than they will. Our offense is going to be good even agianst them, but we cant rely on offense alone like the pats did last year.

Can we have just one day of being over friggen joyed at a beatdown?

:D

Shazam!
09-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Last I checked, this was one of the best Broncos openers in years.

silkamilkamonico
09-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Who needs defense when you have Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, and Eddie Royal. Seriously.

Lonestar
09-09-2008, 12:38 PM
good post I agree OAK and SAN are two totally different teams..

Better and more talent in SAN with decent coaching and a way better FO..

Those expecting a cake walk, could very well be surprised next week..

Thnikkaman
09-09-2008, 12:39 PM
I think that our D-Line will get better. Bly and Champ weren't really tested. I am nervous to see how our D plays against a real Offense, but I am excited to watch Cutler play Catch with Royal, Marshal, Sheff, etc... for the rest of the year.

gnomeflinger
09-09-2008, 12:42 PM
I think girler adopted Eddie. I guess that makes me an aunt... again. Dream... here's the brother you never knew you had.

broncofaninfla
09-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Who needs defense when you have Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, and Eddie Royal. Seriously.

I think our offense is good enough to help our defense. If we are able to consistently jump out to a lead and force teams in a catch up mode, that predictability makes helps our defense.

broncophan
09-09-2008, 01:14 PM
yea.....I'm gonna enjoy this win ......but I know we can't realisticaly expect to score 30 or 40 pts. every week.....AND OUR RUN DEFENSE WILL NEED TO GET BETTER EVERY WEEK.......but a great start.....and things change from week to week in the NFL.

I think we can say this every week....but......let's see where the Broncos are next week after the SD game.....and go from there....

GO BRONCOS

LoyalSoldier
09-09-2008, 01:17 PM
San Diego is too good of a team to just be blown out like the Raiders, but at the same time the Broncos offense did what it was suppose to do. Score like crazy on a bad team.

Thnikkaman
09-09-2008, 01:27 PM
I believe with my heart of homers, that Shanahan is aware of our weaknesses, and will be ready for the sparklers this Sunday.

lex
09-09-2008, 01:27 PM

That pass youre referring to to Curry saw three Denver defenders chasing one WR and leaving Curry open. Maybe by midseason we have the coverage ironed out?

JONtheBRONCO
09-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Room to improve, thats for sure. But our offense has a gunslinger at helm and very talented skill players. If our offensive line gives Cutler as much time as they did last night, I'll put us on top of a shoot out any day of the week. Not saying I am excusing the defense for some poor play at times. Our pass rush also looks much improved. I am juiced about the season. Bring on San Diego- the whales vagina. Go Broncos!

Mike
09-09-2008, 01:29 PM
I believe with my heart of homers, that Shanahan is aware of our weaknesses, and will be ready for the sparklers this Sunday.

And you can bet that after the two games last year + Quivers running his yap...the players are going to be ready for it too.

broncophan
09-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Room to improve, thats for sure. But our offense has a gunslinger at helm and very talented skill players. If our offensive line gives Cutler as much time as they did last night, I'll put us on top of a shoot out any day of the week. Not saying I am excusing the defense for some poor play at times. Our pass rush also looks much improved. I am juiced about the season. Bring on San Diego- the whales vagina. Go Broncos!

"The whales vagina"??????:confused:

honz
09-09-2008, 01:36 PM
You can rain all you want, but I've got my umbrella with me today! Go Broncos!

Denver27og
09-09-2008, 01:42 PM

WOW... just enjoy the win man... we had a shutout until payman let lelie grab that td over him... and we pretty much let them score that 2nd td... our D looked alot better than last year... even without Boss... we had 2 sacks? i think.. alot of games we get 0.. and the turnover in the redzone... it was a great game by our O and D... relax

underrated29
09-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Anchorman!

in anchorman will ferrell has a line where he says san diego is spanish for whales vagina. F you san diego. I mean stay classy.

You got some room under the umbrella, i dont like to make it rain.

underrated29
09-09-2008, 01:52 PM
.. we had 2 sacks? i think.. alot of games we get 0.. and the turnover in the redzone... it was a great game by our O and D... relax

This is what i am saying. Normally we got 0-3 sacks per game. In this game we got 2 sacks- which is good no doubt. Thats good in any game. Point being, though, that the raiders have the worst oline ever (not quite but close enough) and their qb cannot pass the ball. Knowing this, and knowing that we only have to stop the run, we only got 2 sacks on that big fatty. I think it should have been more.

Also, about our O is that jay had time to knit a sweater before he decided to pass. This WILL not happen against the bolts. (I pray it does though.) We are going to find things a lot tougher. obviously.

Its the defense that worried me. I love the O and as other pointed out we did what we should do to a shitty team. Beat the snot out of them. Had those 3 plays turned out differently their score would have been different and the game itself. Like i said they came within a few inches of 2-3 more tds.

thats bad because its the crappy raiders!

Hawgdriver
09-09-2008, 01:55 PM
I agree with you. We weren't consistent against the run, and if they had a more balanced attack, I'm afraid we would have seen them put up 30 points. Even when we played the run first we were gouged. We have a lot to improve against the run, and the pass, too. Our defense is still a liability, but I think we are better than last year. We will need to generate more turnovers (Doom looked great) and see better safety and linebacker play against the pass. We're lucky to have such a good offense, because I think we'll need to rely on it to make the playoffs. S/T was a mixed bag--Hillis was exceptional on kickoffs, I hope second half is a sign of things to come.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-09-2008, 02:01 PM

One of Jim Rome's comments this morning in regards to Cutler was - "Jay Cutler is a young John Elway" :salute:

weazel
09-09-2008, 02:03 PM
I think everyone understands that our run defense is pretty horrible. The raiders did most of the work for the Broncos last night. They were running in 8-10 yard chunks on us and then would do something stupid like let Russel air it out or try a double reverse or some nonsense. If they would have stuck to the run it would have been a much closer game because the Broncos couldnt stop anything on the ground. I still say we give up 300 yards a game on the ground

Dreadnought
09-09-2008, 02:05 PM
One of Jim Rome's comments this morning in regards to Cutler was - "Jay Cutler is a young John Elway" :salute:

Cutler is a better pure passer than Elway was. Not yet as good a QB or leader yet, just a better and more accurate passer.

NightTrainLayne
09-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Cutler is a better pure passer than Elway was. Not yet as good a QB or leader yet, just a better and more accurate passer.

Yes, but I dare you to find a more accurate passer than Elway with less than 5 minutes left and the game hanging in the balance. :salute:

LRtagger
09-09-2008, 02:36 PM
If these are the kinds of threads we get when we demolish our biggest rival, I cant wait to see the threads started if we lose next week.

I dont think anyone expects us to dominate the Chargers like we did the Faid, but good teams are supposed to dominate bad teams...Oakland has the talent, but they make a lot of mistakes which is why they are a bad team. If they didnt make the mistakes, then they would be a good team, but we still would have beaten them with or without the mistakes. Don't forget, we probably should have scored more than 41 points, but had a couple dropped passes particularly Scheff's in the endzone. Not to mention Marsh didnt play. Also, both of their TDs came on 4th down because we were up so big. If we hadnt put up so many points, they would have only scored 6 points since we stopped them on 3rd down in the redzone.

It's hard to look at our pass defense stats since we were defending the run most of the game and playing a zone prevent in the 4th. I thought we did show good pass rush in passing situations and contained well on bootlegs. Engelberger I thought played very well and made some great backside tackles against the run. DJ looked like his old self at WILL.

I was a little concerned with our LB coverage. The big plays we gave up early (and the balls Oak dropped or overthrew) were mismatches where a LB got beat deep (from what I remember it was Webster). I think Boss will probably help this when he gets back, but you better believe SD will try to take advantage of this with Gates.

Bly didnt overly impress me, although he did make a couple good tackles which is not typical of him. I also hope we can find a way to get Paymah from playing one-on-one on the outside in the endzone. He should be playing the inside receiver. IMO Bly plays the ball better and Paymah is more physical. I hated that TD lob to Lelie on 4th down.

Also the ST coverage was as bad as last year and IMO is our biggest weakness right now. If I remember correctly, two of Oakland's long drives (particularly their opening drive) came off long ST returns.

Overall, I did not expect us to play this well on either side of the ball. We took advantage of their mistakes which has been something we have not done in the last couple of years. I think in a closer game we might have had a pick or two, but with such a huge lead, we were playing back in zone. I think you will see more throws to Champ and Bly one-on-one with the opportunity for our secondary to make some plays.

Otherwise, if we play like we did last night I think we have a very good chance of beating SD. You can't really ask for more than that with such a young team and missing our biggest offensive threat.

atwater27
09-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Ok, so here's my thoughts...
Jamarcus actually made some excellent throws considering his protection. Guys just dropped it. At least Phillip Rivers can't throw it as far as Jamarcus can.

I am worried about Tomlinson though.
BUT!
I honestly don't think San Diego is ready to hang with our new super high powered offense.

BigDaddyBronco
09-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Jamarcus actually made some excellent throws considering his protection. Guys just dropped it. At least Phillip Rivers can't throw it as far as Jamarcus can.

BUT!
I honestly don't think San Diego is ready to hang with our new super high powered offense.
I really think it's going to be a shootout. Game determined by turnovers.

broncofaninfla
09-09-2008, 03:12 PM
I really think it's going to be a shootout. Game determined by turnovers.

I do too

NightTrainLayne
09-09-2008, 03:14 PM
We've got to hope that our defense, such as it is, can get in the way of the Chargers long enough to let us get a lead.

It'll be a fun game to watch, I guarantee, but I picked us to lose it long ago, and we could still very well lose it. The Chargers probably have more on the line than we do, and that always seems to become important in NFL games.

Denver27og
09-09-2008, 03:14 PM

BUT!

The dolts whipped us BAD last year... LT has a stubbed toe... i expect the pride factor to kick in and we can win this next game at home... should be a close one but with the marshall and eddie royal?? and Sheff!! we can win this... wow i still cant get over how good our offense played last night... Boss shold be ready to go next week right??

tomjonesrocks
09-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Even a competitive game vs. SD next week would be a welcome event. Clearly this game went much better than expected though so for a variety of reasons, some toasting is in order.

But yes, the D and actually the special teams (as always--sheesh) looked vulnerable. All the enthusiasm could quickly be gone next week--so best to enjoy it now while it lasts. I really can't expect good things facing that team just yet. At this point I'd happily take one clean blindside shot on Rivers and a non-blowout there. For now though--after last year--celebration is justifiable.

Gimpygod
09-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Had those 3 plays turned out differently their score would have been different and the game itself. Like i said they came within a few inches of 2-3 more tds.

thats bad because its the crappy raiders!

Quite honestly that's true of every game ever played ever... and pretty much anything. If Hitler doesn't try to make a move on Russia during the winter we all have better beer but speak with German accents and have to goose-step during the Macy's Day Parade.

Our defense during the glory days wasn't really all that good, our offense was so awesome, however, that it controlled the other team's offense. Instead of being able to have a balanced attack they had to become one-dimensional and throw the ball because they were always behind. last night reminded me of that a lot. If you factor Brandon Marshall back in to the equation the bad guys are going to be playing catch up allowing champ and others to make interceptions and a very suspect defensive line to tear loose and rack up the sacks.

Cutler is the key not the defense

hamrob
09-09-2008, 06:11 PM
good post I agree OAK and SAN are two totally different teams..

Better and more talent in SAN with decent coaching and a way better FO..

Those expecting a cake walk, could very well be surprised next week..I had to high-five you on this post. I do think that some folks have to admit that this team is alot better than they gave credit to for most of the off season. However, having said that, we will be tested greatly these next two weeks. I think this will tell our story in terms of how far we've come.

Watching this team in the offseason, I saw no reason that this team couldn't compete with San Diego...which I think now is quite obvious, yet we have to play even better if we're going to beat the Chargers.

Although were all happy with last nights thrashing of the Fade, there were a few areas that stuck out as weaknesses. We still need to do a better job of stopping the run, rushing the passer, running the ball and covering the middle of the field.

The bottom line is...if that would have been Phyllis Rivers last night...we would have given up quite a few big plays. Big Plays change games and in order to beat the Bolts we need to be the ones making the big plays and preventing Rivers and LT from beating us.

We need to approach this game with fire in our eyes. I think we will and it will be enough for us to beat the bolts at home.

PS. I loved Cutler's fire last night. Choice words for both Jackson and Scheff.

hamrob
09-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Quite honestly that's true of every game ever played ever... and pretty much anything. If Hitler doesn't try to make a move on Russia during the winter we all have better beer but speak with German accents and have to goose-step during the Macy's Day Parade.

Our defense during the glory days wasn't really all that good, our offense was so awesome, however, that it controlled the other team's offense. Instead of being able to have a balanced attack they had to become one-dimensional and throw the ball because they were always behind. last night reminded me of that a lot. If you factor Brandon Marshall back in to the equation the bad guys are going to be playing catch up allowing champ and others to make interceptions and a very suspect defensive line to tear loose and rack up the sacks.

Cutler is the key not the defenseVery true and excellent points...however, those defenses rarely gave up the big play. They were'nt sexy...but they kept the play in front of them.

I think this team can do that as well...but there were signs for concern last night...especially with our LB's in coverage.

Krugan
09-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Very true and excellent points...however, those defenses rarely gave up the big play. They were'nt sexy...but they kept the play in front of them.

I think this team can do that as well...but there were signs for concern last night...especially with our LB's in coverage.

Spot on, and whats even more scary, look at what we face in teh next 3 weeks.

3 of the best TE's around in Gates, Shokey(sp?), and Gonzalez. Not as worried about Tony as the Chiefs are just bad, but he is a threat.

Also im not convinced our running defense is better or just benifted from a Raiders team that didint belong on the field last night.

hamrob
09-09-2008, 06:26 PM

3 of the best TE's around in Gates, Shokey(sp?), and Gonzalez. Not as worried about Tony as the Chiefs are just bad, but he is a threat.

Also im not convinced our running defense is better or just benifted from a Raiders team that didint belong on the field last night.Well let's hope Bailey is what we think he is? :D That's why we paid him the big bucks supposedly...because of his talents in covering the TE.

We'll see. ;)

underrated29
09-09-2008, 09:21 PM

Also im not convinced our running defense is better or just benifted from a Raiders team that didint belong on the field last night.

I agree except for the last part. I think our run d did pretty well. I fully expect to see the raiders be a top 5 rushing team this year. I was never a dmac supporter- i liked stewart (notice sig). But i watched him in preseason and this guy is and will be a gamer. Fargas even though i think he is overrated has also impressed me. The run is the only thing they got going for themselves right now, but its a good strength.

I do expect to see our rush d perform better against lesser talented running teams. San diego- is not one of them. But time will tell and we will see and right now i really like what we are seeing.

EastCoastBronco
09-10-2008, 07:46 AM
San Diego is too good of a team to just be blown out like the Raiders, but at the same time the Broncos offense did what it was suppose to do. Score like crazy on a bad team.

Exactly. For the past 5-6 years when playing a vulnerable team we have played DOWN to their level. Monday night we played an inferior team and we made them pay dearly. It was very refreshing and reassuring to see.

underrated29
09-15-2008, 10:22 AM
bump this thread for a minute.

This is exactley what i was afraid of. Our Defense can stop the run but not the pass. I see 2 things that if changed could drastically improve our defense. One of them is easy and speculative the other is harder, but obvious.

1. we need to put bly up on the #2 wr and get paymah against the TE or slot or whoever.

2. Our defense would actually be pretty good if (same old story here) we could genereate a pass rush. I dont know how often we did or didnt blitz, but little philomina rivers had all day to throw. If we can keep the opposing qbs to 4 seconds. Thats all i am asking. 4 seconds to throw before we get them we should be fine.

BLY
PASS RUSH

If those two things get fixed i think we have a much better shot and going the distance.

Yes, i am captain obvious here. But today there is no one at my work the watches football, so i cant talk to anyone about it.