PDA

View Full Version : Dvr

Dapper Dan
12-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Is there a way to get files from DVRs?

MasterShake
12-31-2010, 01:19 PM
You can transfer DVR files to a PC, but its a lot more complicated than its worth. Google it and you will find many different ways to go about it.

T.K.O.
12-31-2010, 01:21 PM
if you have a dvd recorder you can just copy off you tv to disc.they have dropped dramatically in price recently.
or go old school and use a vcr

underrated29
12-31-2010, 01:31 PM
If you have dish you can pay a charge of like 50 or something to do it. But there are usb ports on the boxes. There is a way around that, like shake said. But I have never tried it.

Tned
12-31-2010, 01:41 PM
Is there a way to get files from DVRs?

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish -- we don't talk about piracy in here.

There may be others now, but this used to be the only 'reasonably priced' (sub $1000) option for recording HD content from a DVR or other source: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

Depending on your DVR, there are other options. For instance, if you have a Tivo, you can hack it and there are a lot of instructions out there in terms of how to do it, but you need to be prepared to roll your sleves up if you go that route.

Dapper Dan
01-01-2011, 11:11 PM
It has a USB port in the back. I'll probably google it.
No Piracy here. Just curious.
:shots:

OrangeHoof
01-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Kinda depends on your objective. Do you want these on your hard drive or do you want to burn your own DVD? Also, is it in HD or standard def?

You can buy a recordable DVD machine for $150-$400 and just connect your DVR to the input. That's what I do (not for piracy, just for my own collection of sporting events).

To make files for your PC, there are tuner cards and converter programs. Some of these files (especially in HD) take up a lot of memory so make sure your computer has plenty before trying.

Some DVRs have the USB port disabled if you got it from your cable/satellite company. The port may be physically there but it hasn't been programmed to use.

Anyway, that's a rough overview of how to get something from DVR to a more permanent form of storage.