PDA

View Full Version : Personal Observations of Game 1

eessydo
09-09-2008, 09:44 AM
While I was very pleased with the passing game on display last night I also came away with a couple of concerns that i sincerely HOPE are just my paranoid delusions.

1. O-Line was very good in pass blocking VERY VERY GOOD, but it seems we don't have the same run blocking that we are so famous for. It didn't appear that we opened up the same large running lanes and second tier blocks like we have done over the years. Hope that is not an issue throughout the season if the passing game sputters.

2. Our run defense still sucks. The broncos were manhandled at the line of scrimmage. That is a major concern for yet another year.

3. Safety play seemed lackluster.

Otherwise all seems to be well. The linebacking core seems to be better than last year, which ought to make up for our D-line issues against the run.

Passing game is back, and Shanahan seems to have regained is play calling swagger.

ktrain
09-09-2008, 10:01 AM
I agree with your assessments.

However, I will say that with a young o-line utilizing the zone blocking scheme, it usually takes awhile for the unit to develop the cohesiveness that is required for the unit to function well enough for a dominate running game. The scheme really relies on every player moving in unison and sometimes it takes time for them to get in ryrthm. It may well be 6 -7 games in until this unit starts dominating on the run blocking (just in time for Torain to get back from his injury - Shanny has a quiet confidence about Torain - watch out!!!)

Thnikkaman
09-09-2008, 10:08 AM
While I was very pleased with the passing game on display last night I also came away with a couple of concerns that i sincerely HOPE are just my paranoid delusions.

1. O-Line was very good in pass blocking VERY VERY GOOD, but it seems we don't have the same run blocking that we are so famous for. It didn't appear that we opened up the same large running lanes and second tier blocks like we have done over the years. Hope that is not an issue throughout the season if the passing game sputters.

2. Our run defense still sucks. The broncos were manhandled at the line of scrimmage. That is a major concern for yet another year.

Otherwise all seems to be well. The linebacking core seems to be better than last year, which ought to make up for our D-line issues against the run.

Passing game is back, and Shanahan seems to have regained is play calling swagger.

One of the things that bugged me was the way that Young would get the ball, and try to make 2 or 3 cuts and going nowhere. I think we would have been eating up more yards if he would make 1 cut and go.

I am worried about our run D-Fense, but one of the things I admired about the Raiders was their two running backs. I hope that we can adjust and fix that problem.

However, if our Offense can score 30+ points a game every game, we might not have to worry about it.

eessydo
09-09-2008, 10:11 AM
One of the things that bugged me was the way that Young would get the ball, and try to make 2 or 3 cuts and going nowhere. I think we would have been eating up more yards if he would make 1 cut and go.

I also noticed the multiple cuts that Young was making. Unfortunately I do not have a trained eye to know if that is and O-Line issue and him trying to make something out of nothing, or just the O-Line doing their jobs and Young being indecisive on selecting a hole.

Either way, it is a possible issue that can be exploited down the road. Hope it gets sewn up.

omac
09-09-2008, 10:13 AM

I'm hoping that we get better at run blocking as the season progresses. Another thing to look forward to is our red zone scoring, which seemed pretty good. Our OL pass protection looked amazing, but we have to remember ... the Raiders were in the bottom 5 in sacks, while our next opponent, the Chargers, were in the top 5 or 6 in sacks. Very, very different pressure.

I was also not that impressed with our rush defense against the Raiders, but I think we'll do better against SD. I think the Broncos have a tougher time defending zone blocking rushing schemes (Oakland, Houston), versus man blocking rushing schemes (Dallas). The danger with SD is they give Rivers excelent protection, so we'd better hope we can mount some sort of pass rush or effective blitz against them. Otherwise, we'd better score another 41 points or more for the win.

eessydo
09-09-2008, 10:14 AM
However, if our Offense can score 30+ points a game every game, we might not have to worry about it.

Hard to count on this every game, but I did like the scheme Shanahan put together to get the ball in the hands of his playmakers.

I also liked how prepared Eddie Royal was, and his route running skills were excellent. WR is one of the hardest positions to coach those techniques to, but he was ready to go.

Shanahan has clearly got the knack back on drawing up plays, things looked stale the last couple of years.

eessydo
09-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Our OL pass protection looked amazing, but we have to remember ... the Raiders were in the bottom 5 in sacks, while our next opponent, the Chargers, were in the top 5 or 6 in sacks. Very, very different pressure.

I was also not that impressed with our rush defense against the Raiders, but I think we'll do better against SD. I think the Broncos have a tougher time defending zone blocking rushing schemes (Oakland, Houston), versus man blocking rushing schemes (Dallas).

Agreed, it is only game one, but if we are picking up on these little things, you can sure bet that NFL coaches are seeing the same thing. The difference is they know how to exploit those issues.

San Diego will be a good test for us. The defense, even with Merriman hurt is still VERY formidable. We will need a running game to neutralize that rush.

We will also need to stop the run, as we all know SD is not afraid to pound the ball down our throats all day long and keep Cutler off the field.

NightTrainLayne
09-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Shanahan has clearly got the knack back on drawing up plays, things looked stale the last couple of years.

Heimerdinger is gone. Hallelujah!!

sacmar
09-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Just as i don't think the jets are gonna win the super bowl now all of the sudden after sqeaking by freakin miami as the whole football media does, i think this first win was amazing and set us off in the right direction but it's only week one. But what a start !! We have some issues like we will continue to have but if the positive can outweigh the neg like last night then i'll take it. Shame on anyone who didn't make it out last night out of fear...it was amazing to see and hear how depressed these people were by the third quarter, most even lost the desire to heckle, those people set thier expectations of that crappy team way too high and it was nice to see them all slowly slide off thier high horses (ha ha high horses..my wife just pointed out that kinda funny) as the game wore on. I walked with a half grin half giggle all the way back to bart and didn't get a peep out of any of them. Sorry to drag on guys i apologize.

CoachChaz
09-09-2008, 10:26 AM
The thing that I was mostly impressed with was Cutler getting in the ass of receivers and backs when they dropped a ball or botched a play. He displayed leadership that made it clear that he was the boss out there and he wasnt going to accept anything les than perfection. Very nice.

WARHORSE
09-09-2008, 10:55 AM
I think the stalling in the run game had much more to do with backs not getting downhill (Selvin mostly). There were some huge holes out there to run in. If we draft a franchise back next year...............whew.

I also agree on the line being young, but the proof is in the pudding........at the goaline, we scored with run plays.

Thats not a good sign for the rest of the NFL.:coffee:

xzn
09-09-2008, 10:56 AM
The thing that I was mostly impressed with was Cutler getting in the ass of receivers and backs when they dropped a ball or botched a play. He displayed leadership that made it clear that he was the boss out there and he wasnt going to accept anything les than perfection. Very nice.

So many good things happened that I hate to carp on negatives, but it was odd :confused: to see three guys known for having great hands drop balls.

Namely, Nate Jackson on the wide open out, Scheffler in the back of the end zone and Peyton Hillis in the flat.

I don't expect to see too many more drops from any of those three for the rest of the year :tsk:

ikillz0mbies
09-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Oh so now there's a personal observations thread...:D

Anyway, I put this in the gameday thread, just thought I'd put it in here since it's more appropriate.

Just a couple notes I'd like to point out:

1. The four-letter network's commentators suck...I kinda felt that they only talked about the Raiders....both positive and negative. And they can't analyze for s***.
2. Special teams coverage was a little shaky. The Raiders could have actually turned a couple of those returns for TD's.
3. Prater was solid as a rock. I was happy when I saw him boot a couple of those kickoffs for a touchback.

Skinny
09-09-2008, 11:38 AM
The linebacking core seems to be better than last year, which ought to make up for our D-line issues against the run.Agreed. I was mclovin the way the LBs were playing the run last night. They were'nt fooled much and stayed home and were patient. Key for LBs when defending the ZBS. DJs game through the pre-season and last night has went up a couple notches being back at WLB imo. Winborn played well, Nate, all of them were flying around. I thought those guys had a heck of a ball game last night for the most part.

ikillz0mbies
09-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Oh and also, don't know if anyone mentioned this but Nate Webster's helmet came off again. But it was DJ Williams that knocked it off when they were making a tackle out of bounds.

Bronco4ever
09-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Cutler is a magician with the ball in his hands. You kinda get that feeling watching him play that he can put the ball any where he wants. I love his nerves of steel and his pocket awareness was exceptional. I think I'll be dreaming all week about what this offense can do with Marshall back in the mix.

nevcraw
09-09-2008, 01:18 PM
call me crazy but if T Shef was catcing the ball on grass and not a square of hard dirt, he catches that ball.
DL was applying good pressure with the lead, but this sunday will provide the best proof of it's ability to apply pressure with the full threat of the run.

BigDaddyBronco
09-09-2008, 01:33 PM
It's funny how much better our game plan looked without Bates and Heimerdinger around. I mean adjustments were made on defense after the Raiders first drive which slowed down their running game for the rest of the game, Bates didn't do adjustments. On the offensive side it was nice to see some trick plays and not worrying so much about a balance between the run and pass. When was the last time we scored 41 against anybody?

BroncoJoe
09-09-2008, 02:22 PM

I ragged on him a bit last year for lacking that... Rememer Scarface?

He has really developed. It's been awesome to watch.

Thnikkaman
09-09-2008, 03:48 PM
One more observation.

I haven't been able to get crap done today due to lack of sleep, and wanting to chat/read "experts" analysis of the game.

NightTrainLayne
09-09-2008, 04:00 PM
One more observation.

I haven't been able to get crap done today due to lack of sleep, and wanting to chat/read "experts" analysis of the game.

Me too. It's not good for the work ethic. :beer:

NameUsedBefore
09-09-2008, 04:58 PM
If I were the Chargers I would gameplan to run it down our throats pretty much the entire time. I still think our Run-D is really lacking, but we'll see with LT.

Offense looks totally balanced and firing on all pistons though.

Buff
09-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Just rewatching the game now-- Did anyone else see how pissed off Jay was when Nate Jackson dropped that ball on the 1st drive? I love it, you could read his lips- "C'mon Nate!"

Field general in the making.