PDA

View Full Version : Can you say dominant receiving corps?

Dean
09-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Royal was electric last night. He beat DeAngelo again and again proving that he is the real deal.

Sheff showed his ability to create mismatches and get deep.

Wait until Marshall comes back this week. The Broncos have possiblily the best group of receivers that have ever taken the field at Invesco. (yes, I know it is still early but I feel pretty good about where we are at) When you couple this with a very promising pass blocking line, watch out. We might have enough offensive firepower to carry this team.

Retired_Member_001
09-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Hey, calling Royal electric is MY LINE!

:laugh:

To be honest, I think we have a good receiving corps as it is, but with Marshall back, we have one of the best in the league. Marshall not playing may have actually helped Royal in the first game because it meant that Royal had to step up. I think that a physical, strong Marshall and a speedy, quick Royal as well as the Slot Machine is one of the best receiving corps in the league. Plus, Scheff is a great receiving Tight End. I honestly believe we are in for some blowouts this season, simply because of our receivers and Quarterback. Plus, the offensive line seems to be molding well together.

I think we could lead the league in YAC this season.

Dean
09-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Sorry.:D I had no idea that modifier was yours. My bad.

eessydo
09-09-2008, 09:32 AM
The Broncos have possiblily the best group of receivers that have ever taken the field at Invesco. (yes, I know it is still early but I feel pretty good about where we are at).

Umm, I guess your operative word here is INVESCO, because we have had some great receiver groups before.

Rod Smith, Ed McCaffrey, Shannon Sharpe
The three Amigos: Jackson, Nattiel, Johnson

I don't know about the O-line though. We looked good in pass protection, but I felt we were suspect in run blocking.

NightTrainLayne
09-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Umm, I guess your operative word here is INVESCO, because we have had some great receiver groups before.

I don't know about the O-line though. We looked good in pass protection, but I felt we were suspect in run blocking.

I loved watching the three amigos, but I don't think they have anywhere near the talent level that we have now. Rod, Eddie and Shannon maybe have that level of talent, but the three amigos were made great because #7 was distributing the ball to them.

I think this might become the best group of receivers we've ever had from top to bottom.

broncofaninfla
09-09-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm stoked!!! I knew Royal was good but didn't realize he was that good. Teams will be forced to double cover Marshall and Royal just to slow them down, look for the TE's to have a great year as well because of it!

Dean
09-09-2008, 09:14 PM

Who else was on the field as a receiver with Rod, Easy Ed, and Shannon? I'm thinking that there was not much else. At the time of the "Three Amigos" I though that they were more hype than substance and I still feel that way. They were good but not really pro-bowl quality.

This year we have Marshall, Royal, Stokley, and Sheff as our primary receivers and we have depth at receiver (Jackson) and tight end (Daniel and Nate).

I can't ever remember this kind of quality depth and we have an offensive line that takes pass blocking to the level of an art form.

DenBronx
09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
i had wet dreams last night about eddie royal.

dogfish
09-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Can you say dominant receiving corps?

dominant receiving corps. . . .

yea, i can walk and chew gum at the same time, too. . . . :D

i'm eager to see how this passing game will stack up against a defense that blitzes and brings pressure. . . it's clearly the strength of the team right now, and if nothing else we should be fun to watch this year. . .

Dean
09-09-2008, 09:39 PM
dominant receiving corps. . . .

yea, i can walk and chew gum at the same time, too. . . . :D

i'm eager to see how this passing game will stack up against a defense that blitzes and brings pressure. . . it's clearly the strength of the team right now, and if nothing else we should be fun to watch this year. . .

Do I detect visions of AFC championship games past dancing through your mind?

Tned
09-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Royal was electric last night. He beat DeAngelo again and again proving that he is the real deal.

Wait until Marshall comes back this week. The Broncos have possiblily the best group of receivers that have ever taken the field at Invesco. (yes, I know it is still early but I feel pretty good about where we are at) When you couple this with a very promising pass blocking line, watch out. We might have enough offensive firepower to carry this team.

I'm trying to remember if Sharpe and Mccaffrey retired in Invesco. I think they did. The only post SB corp we had that could possibly match them would be Rod, Ed and Shanon.

Benetto
09-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Having Brandon out there doing his thing, will allow Eddie to do his route magic and get open.

Our receiving corps will produce a lot of "all nighters" for defensive coaches.

Tned
09-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Having Brandon out there doing his thing, will allow Eddie to do his route magic and get open.

Our receiving corps will produce a lot of "all nighters" for defensive coaches.

With the exception of only a few corners in the league, DCs aren't going to want to leave Marshal covered by a single DB, they are going to want to double or provide some cover, which should leave Royal one on one, or in a zone, where the safety coverage has rolled towards Marshall.

Benetto
09-09-2008, 10:24 PM
With the exception of only a few corners in the league, DCs aren't going to want to leave Marshal covered by a single DB, they are going to want to double or provide some cover, which should leave Royal one on one, or in a zone, where the safety coverage has rolled towards Marshall.
Then there's Stokley, Sheff, Djack as other options too :D

Defense is my main concern.

SarahKay
09-09-2008, 10:46 PM

To be honest, I think we have a good receiving corps as it is, but with Marshall back, we have one of the best in the league. Marshall not playing may have actually helped Royal in the first game because it meant that Royal had to step up. I think that a physical, strong Marshall and a speedy, quick Royal as well as the Slot Machine is one of the best receiving corps in the league. Plus, Scheff is a great receiving Tight End. I honestly believe we are in for some blowouts this season, simply because of our receivers and Quarterback. Plus, the offensive line seems to be molding well together.

I agree 100%! Great post. :beer:

omac
09-09-2008, 11:18 PM
What's nice is besides Marshall, Stokley, Royal, and Scheffler, we have some under the radar receiving threats that will be good for a few first downs or even TDs ... Graham and Pittman are pretty dependable and won't get so much attention; Young was split wide a few times last season. Though Jackson was invisible most of the game, he did have a TD catch. Those are tons of receiving options. Aldridge would've fit in with this bunch real well as a situational, pass catching, speed back, as he's demonstrated good hands in camp.

DenBronx
09-09-2008, 11:51 PM
What's nice is besides Marshall, Stokley, Royal, and Scheffler, we have some under the radar receiving threats that will be good for a few first downs or even TDs ... Graham and Pittman are pretty dependable and won't get so much attention; Young was split wide a few times last season. Though Jackson was invisible most of the game, he did have a TD catch. Those are tons of receiving options. Aldridge would've fit in with this bunch real well as a situational, pass catching, speed back, as he's demonstrated good hands in camp.

colbert actually showed some upside towards the end of preseason too. i think were pretty deep at the position.

Dreadnought
09-10-2008, 05:32 AM
And here's one more cheery thought

Marshall - 3rd year
Royal - first year
Scheffler - 3rd year

They are not only extremely talented, they are very young and will be here quite a while if we get Marshall and Scheff locked up. With a young Cutler distributing the ball, behind a young line that looks to have been successfuly retooled - not to mention a stable of pretty good backs, all in their first and second years.

Nomad
09-10-2008, 05:42 AM
I hope to see the same against Cromartie or Jammer.

Hawgdriver
09-10-2008, 06:12 AM
Before this game, teams would likely double Marshall most downs, and take support from the other receiver. With Royal we have a serious threat that demands extra attention from the safeties too. Add in Scheffler and you are guaranteed to see linebacker mismatches. It helps too that Stokley is a superb route runner with the JC mindmeld. If I was Jeremy Bates I wouldn't get any sleep because I would be overwhelmed with possibilities to create mismatches. This all hinges on the pass pro, and so far, so good. These are good times--exciting times--for Bronco fans.

:D

lex
09-10-2008, 06:57 AM

Just something to keep in mind: Royal had about half of Cutlers passing yards. We also know that in the past Cutler has locked onto Marshall a lot. It will be interesting to see how Jay does at distributing the football with two guys one the field.

SarahKay
09-10-2008, 07:15 AM
I am just completely stoked at the talent we have on offense period!!

Go Broncos!

atwater27
09-10-2008, 09:54 AM

I watched Royal on Monday and I couldn't help thinking I was seeing Steve Smith in Orange and blue.

LordTrychon
09-10-2008, 10:10 AM
I watched Royal on Monday and I couldn't help thinking I was seeing Steve Smith in Orange and blue.

I was thinking the same thing this morning.

I always thought the Steve Smith comparison was just hype because he was a quick little guy...

But there may be more substance to the comparison than I originally gave it credence for.

underrated29
09-10-2008, 10:20 AM
I was thinking the same thing this morning.

I always thought the Steve Smith comparison was just hype because he was a quick little guy...

But there may be more substance to the comparison than I originally gave it credence for.

excuse me guys, but i believe it was wes welker and lee evans. See the sig for more details. :cool:

haroldthebarrel
09-10-2008, 10:46 AM
I am overjoyed with Royals first game. I really was wrong on that pick since I was seething when we took him over for example Pozlovny(sp).

However, I dont think we should rely on him being a constant threat in his rookie year.
A few of those passes he caught, wouldnt have been there had the Raiders had any resemblance of a pass rush.

btw, is it only me but I think he resembles Santana Moss much more than Smith?

BroncoFanatic
09-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Opposing DCs better be wearing the industrial strength Depends, they're gonna need it.

They can't double team both Marshall and Royal without leaving the middle of the field empty, we'd kill them with RB and TE plays. They still have to respect our running game, and pray for a bad day from Cutler.

My biggest hope is that with the mismatches created, Shanny & company make quick play calling adjustments (or Cutler audibles, if he has the green light) to make them pay

omac
09-10-2008, 12:44 PM

Hope not for Champ and Bly's sake. :D

Dean
09-10-2008, 02:11 PM
The Broncos in the past have had trouble with 3-4 blitzes (except for some reason the Pats). Do you think that the increase in viable receivers will lessen or increase the amount of blitzes the we see? If Jay reads the blitz coming he should have someone reliable to dump the ball to. . . or do you just blitz more to try to get pressure on the QB hoping that you don't get burnt.

BroncoFanatic
09-10-2008, 02:55 PM
That would be where we could really have used Alridge this year, as the relief valve on blitzes.

Can you imagine...?

Dean
09-10-2008, 10:38 PM
In the backfield, we have Hillis and Pitman who both can catch the ball. On the 2008 Broncos you find receivers everywhere you look. However, I am starting to wonder how that will change what other teams will do.

As a D-coordinator playing a team that can put quality receivers on the field at every eligible position and who can run the ball, do yoou bring the house or play "nickle and dime" hoping that Denver makes a mistake? I am starting to think that I would go with an increase in stunts, twists, and blitzes. If the Chargers agree, can we block the extra man or men?

NightTrainLayne
09-10-2008, 11:47 PM
In the backfield, we have Hillis and Pitman who both can catch the ball. On the 2008 Broncos you find receivers everywhere you look. However, I am starting to wonder how that will change what other teams will do.

As a D-coordinator playing a team that can put quality receivers on the field at every eligible position and who can run the ball, do yoou bring the house or play "nickle and dime" hoping that Denver makes a mistake? I am starting to think that I would go with an increase in stunts, twists, and blitzes. If the Chargers agree, can we block the extra man or men?

This is where Graham and Hillis come in. If they're blitzing, then Graham and Hillis can handle the extra men, and it will leave somebody or somebodies one-on-one on an island.

It's almost a surprise, but this offense has really come together. I can't believe I'm looking at the Denver Broncos compared to what we saw last year on offense.

Simple Jaded
09-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Shanahan said early on that this is the best WR corp in the league, that's still BS but at least it's not the usual pure Shanahan Hype......

Dean
09-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Is this convincing enough, now. Every play someone is open.

A one hundred yard receiver at halftime. :D

Shanahan is in his glory with Cuttler zinging the ball and an occasional big run. I never thought that Mike would pass to set up the run but it sure looks good from here.

I am starting to hedge on my 10-6 prediction. ;)

I'm flip-flopping again. After watching our defense (?) the second half, 10-6 may well be difficult to reach.

Npba900
09-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Is this convincing enough, now. Every play someone is open.

A one hundred yard receiver at halftime. :D

Shanahan is in his glory with Cuttler zinging the ball and an occasional big run. I never thought that Mike would pass to set up the run but it sure looks good from here.

I am starting to hedge on my 10-6 prediction. ;)

I'm flip-flopping again. After watching our defense (?) the second half, 10-6 may well be difficult to reach.

Shanahan has been waiting for a QB that has a howitzer arm like Elway since 1999. Now that Cutler is shanny's field General........watch Shanahan return to the status of Offensive Master mind/Genius.

Dean
09-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Branden Stockley seems to think very highly of this year's receiving corp. After playing several years for the Colts, he might know what he is talkin about. Here is the Fox team evaluation with the quote.

Broncos Team Report

Inside Slant
As long as the Denver Broncos are lighting up the scoreboard, don't expect the offense to change much.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan has an elite quarterback in Jay Cutler, a deep group of receivers including tight end Tony Scheffler, and no clear workhorse at tailback. He has always been flexible and played to his strengths, and this year that appears to be spreading the field and letting Cutler throw as often as he can.
Through two games, the Broncos lead the NFL in yards and points, which should mean more of the same the rest of the season, starting this Sunday against New Orleans.

"Tight ends, offensive line, quarterback, from top to bottom we've got what it takes to keep this up and have a great offensive year," receiver Brandon Stokley said.

The Broncos knew coming into the year that the passing game would be a strength. The organization had a lot of confidence in Cutler, who had a 3,500-yard, 20-touchdown season well under the radar last year. He was entering his third year and ready to make a leap.

The targets around Cutler came together well. Brandon Marshall's suspension was reduced from three games to one. Stokley came back healthy. Darrell Jackson had something left in the tank and rookie Eddie Royal surprised everyone by grabbing a starting position before his first preseason game.

Stokley played with Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison in Indianapolis, and said he preferred Denver's group.

"I think, from top to bottom, receiving corps-wise, we're better than when I was with Indy," Stokley said. "We've got a lot of depth at receiver, a lot of good players. I wouldn't trade Eddie and 'B-Marsh' for anybody else right now in the league."

Those are bold words, but Denver has a lot to boast about after two games. Against San Diego, Cutler tied a franchise record with 50 passing attempts and Marshall caught 18 passes, tied for second most in a game in NFL history.

Royal, coming off a shocking 146-yard debut, caught a touchdown and two-point conversion in the final seconds to beat the Chargers. Scheffler had two touchdowns against the Chargers.

The Broncos, knowing they could be explosive in the passing game this season, spent the offseason studying some of the best offenses in the NFL, including the Patriots.

"We really liked what the Patriots were doing with some of their empty sets," quarterback Jay Cutler said. "We've got similar weapons with our guys, with our tight ends and our backs are able to get out.

"Offensively, we kind of matched up with what they were doing and we thought we might put it in, and it's working so far."

SERIES HISTORY: 9th meeting. Broncos lead series, 6-2, and have beaten the Saints three of four times in Denver. The Saints haven't played at Denver since 2001, the first season at Invesco Field at Mile High.

--Former Denver safety John Lynch, who asked for his release from the Broncos during training camp, hasn't been on a roster for either of the first two regular-season games. Lynch was cut by New England before the season.

Lynch said he doesn't regret asking to leave Denver. He wasn't thrilled about his role and thought the team was prepared to move on without him.

"I'm proud of those guys and the way they're playing now, and wish them the best," Lynch said.

Lynch said he isn't retired but knows that the longer he is out, the less the chance is of him playing again.

"I'm moving on with life. I'm not sitting there waiting by the phone," Lynch said.

--Receiver Brandon Marshall was named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week after catching 18 balls against San Diego. Marshall played almost the entire game after missing a week because of a NFL suspension.

"Having the type of game that he had is really a credit to him staying in shape," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said.

BY THE NUMBERS: 55 -- Catches for Brandon Marshall in his last five games, which is a record for any five-game stretch in NFL history.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "The way they are playing right now, they are making me look good." -- Quarterback Jay Cutler, on his offensive line.

GAME PLAN: This game could feature 80 passes or more. The Broncos should be confident in their passing game. Jay Cutler leads the NFL in passing yards through two weeks. With the Saints struggling with injuries in the secondary, expect plenty more spread formations from the Broncos.

On the other side, the Broncos have made a commitment to stop the run this season by putting a safety in the box regularly. They're giving up some support in the passing game, which showed during San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers' 377-yard game against Denver last week. Both teams will probably score plenty, the team that avoids turnovers might be the one to come out on top.

MATCHUPS TO WATCH: Broncos WR Brandon Marshall vs. Saints cornerbacks. Whether Aaron Glenn or Randall Gay or Mike McKenzie or Tracy Porter is covering Marshall, the Broncos will throw to him a lot. He has the matchup advantage against any of those corners. Marshall probably won't get 18 catches again like he did against the Chargers, but 10 wouldn't be a huge surprise.

Broncos special teams vs. Saints RB Reggie Bush. Bush is explosive in the return game, which could be bad news for Denver. The Broncos' coverage units have struggled, and gave up a 103-yard kickoff return to San Diego's Darren Sproles last week. The Broncos defense struggled to contain Sproles too, so Bush could have a productive day.

MSN Privacy Legal Advertise © 2008 Microsoft

I included the segment about John Lynch just because I like John Lynch. There is more to the article. If you want to read it, here is the URL.

http://espn.foxsports.com/nfl/team-broncos/teamreport

Broncolingus
09-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Smith, McCaffery, and Sharpe is still the standard by which all are measured...because they were so good.

Royal and Marshall look good after two games...let's see how they do over the course of 16 (hopefully more) games this year.

Maybe the bigger concern now might be keeping Royal from getting killed out there and Marshall out of jail?

Spider
09-21-2008, 09:29 AM

Dominate receivers ? well they will be dominate if the oline allows them to be ... rolling coverage wont work , well except maybe deep , but the way to defense the Broncos is stair case coverage , and it will get easier unless we get a consistent running game established ...right now this is just week 3 , most teams dont have a groove until week 4 ......
i will say this though the spread offense ( well just another variation of it ) has rocked the NFL so far , but it will be just a matter of time until Defenses catch up with it ..........WCO ? K gun ? Run and Shoot ? Max Q ........ Defenses always catch up ....

Skinny
09-21-2008, 09:40 AM
i will say this though the spread offense ( well just another variation of it ) has rocked the NFL so far , but it will be just a matter of time until Defenses catch up with it ..........WCO ? K gun ? Run and Shoot ? Max Q ........ Defenses always catch up ....When defenses do catch up, you better hope you have the HC who can adjust. I think we have one of the best in the game at doing just that.

Spider
09-21-2008, 09:43 AM
When defenses do catch up, you better hope you have the HC who can adjust. I think we have one of the best in the game at doing just that. no doubt about that on Shanahan , he is the best in the business ......