PDA

View Full Version : Another server outage tonight

Tned
12-31-2010, 02:43 AM
Ok, server's been down three plus hours. It appears that in the end the problem was a bad network switch on the rack where my server is located. I'm still trying to get confirmation on that and why the **** it took three hours to get whatever it was resolved.

Sorry for the downtime, hopefully with these two outages this week behind us, things will get back to stable.

PAINTERDAVE
12-31-2010, 02:46 AM
Dang servers

Kapaibro
12-31-2010, 02:48 AM
It hurt!

Tned
12-31-2010, 03:03 AM
Not that it matters for us not being able to get on the site, but the server wasn't actually down, the network switch for the server rack the server is in had a problem. To make matters worse, they had most of their techs working on an upgrade elsewhere in datacenter and there apparently was some confusion with them thinking this server was part of the maintenance or something like that.

Appears to have been a problem followed by some dropped ball in their support department which is usually very good.

Lancane
12-31-2010, 03:27 AM
The servers are through vBulletin correct? Just wondering T, because so are the BC boards and they were still active, though they had issues the last time we did have server troubles.

honz
12-31-2010, 03:28 AM
I had to steal my Mom's Vicodin because I couldn't get my forum fix.

Tned
12-31-2010, 03:55 AM
The servers are through vBulletin correct? Just wondering T, because so are the BC boards and they were still active, though they had issues the last time we did have server troubles.

No, vBulletin is software that you buy and load on your own server(s). vBulletin doesn't do any hosting other than for themselves.

This is a dedicated server leased from a hosting company. The Broncos probably have a dedicated server (or likely multiple servers). They could be located at the Broncos headquarters, but more than likely are leased from a hosting company. This is typically done because most non-hosting companies don't have the bandwidth necessary to host an active website.

dogfish
12-31-2010, 04:12 AM
this is an outrage!

tell those server dickwads i'm totally going unabomber on 'em if this happens again. . .

Tned
12-31-2010, 04:15 AM
this is an outrage!

tell those server dickwads i'm totally going unabomber on 'em if this happens again. . .

Consider it done. I'll PM you their address.

Week from hell. The outage earlier this week, which really wasn't an outage as much as me missing the email about work they were doing. Then, I get hit with a virus on my computer on Wednesday, had me down for hours screwing with it and then deciding to just wipe it and install Windows 7, and now tonight.

Lancane
12-31-2010, 04:22 AM
No, vBulletin is software that you buy and load on your own server(s). vBulletin doesn't do any hosting other than for themselves.

This is a dedicated server leased from a hosting company. The Broncos probably have a dedicated server (or likely multiple servers). They could be located at the Broncos headquarters, but more than likely are leased from a hosting company. This is typically done because most non-hosting companies don't have the bandwidth necessary to host an active website.

Ahhh...I see. Well up till about six years ago I didn't know shit about computers, my life revolved around football, then eventually I was forced to learn because everyone was able to...now that sucked, I completely fried my first computer a week after I purchased the damn thing. Know a little bit about servers, but very little. And I had thought the vBulletin was the server company...lol. Thanks for clarifying that for me!

;)

GEM
12-31-2010, 10:22 AM

Week from hell. The outage earlier this week, which really wasn't an outage as much as me missing the email about work they were doing. Then, I get hit with a virus on my computer on Wednesday, had me down for hours screwing with it and then deciding to just wipe it and install Windows 7, and now tonight.

I hate Windows 7...HATE!

Tned
12-31-2010, 12:50 PM
I hate Windows 7...HATE!

I prefer the interface on Vista, but am sure I will get used to Win 7. 7 is supposed to perform better, so I figured if I was reloading, better to do it on the current OS.

My biggest initial knock on Win7 (I had loaded it on a netbook after a blue screen corrupted the OS) was that it doesn't come with Windows Mail. But, I found it is very easy to install Windows Mail (Outlook Express) on Win 7, which was my major problem with it.

gnomeflinger
12-31-2010, 12:55 PM
I have Vista on my laptop and love it. I have no intentions on ever upgrading to Win 7.

topscribe
12-31-2010, 01:09 PM

That does it. I'm getting Carbonite . . .

-----

topscribe
12-31-2010, 01:13 PM
I prefer the interface on Vista, but am sure I will get used to Win 7. 7 is supposed to perform better, so I figured if I was reloading, better to do it on the current OS.

My biggest initial knock on Win7 (I had loaded it on a netbook after a blue screen corrupted the OS) was that it doesn't come with Windows Mail. But, I found it is very easy to install Windows Mail (Outlook Express) on Win 7, which was my major problem with it.

I despised Vista. Just loathed it. After my computer, which had Vista, died,
I purchased a refurb with XP on it and am relatively happy again. When it
comes time to upgrade, I will merrily vault over Vista to Windows 7 or
whatever.

I'm with you on Windows Mail, however. XP has Express, but I don't like it
as well, so I just went all the way to Outlook, which is okay. I don't
suppose Windows Mail can be installed on the XP platform?

Anyway, I hope you got your situation going now. Sometimes computers
just stink . . .

-----

Nomad
12-31-2010, 01:16 PM
For a computer numbnut like me, what's the difference between Vista or Win 7 or any of the others!?!

topscribe
12-31-2010, 01:22 PM
For a computer numbnut like me, what's the difference between Vista or Win 7 or any of the others!?!

I found Vista bloated and slow, and it took forever to boot up. The user
needs about double the memory from XP, and Vista is particularly buggy in
certain functions, although the latest Service Package helped there. But I
have found both XP and 7 superior in just about every way, for my purposes,
anyway . . .

-----

BroncoStud
12-31-2010, 01:29 PM
I found Vista bloated and slow, and it took forever to boot up. The user
needs about double the memory from XP, and Vista is particularly buggy in
certain functions, although the latest Service Package helped there. But I
have found both XP and 7 superior in just about every way, for my purposes,
anyway . . .

-----

THIS. Vista is garbage, rushed out the door, clunky, poor interface, just overall a bad chunk of software.

Now, the bad news on 7... I did an install recently from Vista to 7, and now I have an issue with an integrated video card which apparently causes issues when you install 7. I had to hook up dual monitors just to trick my device diag into thinking that both cards would work. It sucks and it's apparently somewhat common with 7, so be careful, they call it the "black screen of death"...

Other than that, Windows 7 is FAR superior to Vista.

Tned
12-31-2010, 01:44 PM
I despised Vista. Just loathed it. After my computer, which had Vista, died,
I purchased a refurb with XP on it and am relatively happy again. When it
comes time to upgrade, I will merrily vault over Vista to Windows 7 or
whatever.

I'm with you on Windows Mail, however. XP has Express, but I don't like it
as well, so I just went all the way to Outlook, which is okay. I don't
suppose Windows Mail can be installed on the XP platform?

Anyway, I hope you got your situation going now. Sometimes computers
just stink . . .

-----

Windows mail is the new (starting in Vista) name for Outlook Express. It's changed slightly, but basically the same beast. On my XP machines, I use Outlook Express.

I like OE/Windows Mail because I have about 13 active email accounts and OE handles it (delivering them to the correct folder and stuff) better than Outlook. I only use Outlook for corporate mail.

topscribe
12-31-2010, 01:49 PM
Windows mail is the new (starting in Vista) name for Outlook Express. It's changed slightly, but basically the same beast. On my XP machines, I use Outlook Express.

I like OE/Windows Mail because I have about 13 active email accounts and OE handles it (delivering them to the correct folder and stuff) better than Outlook. I only use Outlook for corporate mail.

I know that. But going from Mail to OE, I like Mail better. They made quite
a few improvements with it.

In fact, the reason I went to Outlook is because I was dissatisfied with OE
after going back to XP. I had Outlook at work when I was with Intuit and
finally learned to like it there, to a degree.

Another thing I discovered: OE cannot open the Windows Mail messages I
have archived. I was sending my stored messages from Mail over to my MS
Live account to open them until I went to Outlook.

But Windows Mail was the only part of Vista I liked better than XP.

P.S. You know, regarding your reference to delivering mail to predetermined
boxes, I also have it set up to do that, according to the various aliases I
have. But I have noticed that once in a while a message will come in, and
Outlook will ignore the rule I have set for it, and it will deliver it to the
default Inbox. It doesn't happen often, but OE/Mail never seemed to do that.

-----

JaxBroncoGirl
12-31-2010, 01:54 PM
I cannot stand Vista. When the time came to buy my laptop that was the latest OS and trust me, I need to upgrade or just junk my laptop and get the latest Windows 7. Someone said they put it together and shipped it out the door was right. My computer guy thinks it is the most unstable product ever and we should have received money back or at least some type of offer for an upgrade.

gnomeflinger
12-31-2010, 02:29 PM
My laptop came with Vista and I've have zero problems with it. I don't hate Win 7, I just figure that if it isn't broke, no need to fix it.

topscribe
12-31-2010, 02:35 PM
My laptop came with Vista and I've have zero problems with it. I don't hate Win 7, I just figure that if it isn't broke, no need to fix it.

If you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

I wouldn't change, in that case . . . http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

BroncoTech
01-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Yup when it rains it pours. I had a disgruntled ex-employee get into my domain control and stole 3 domains from the 150 domains on there. He was on when I was buying domains and it could have been much worse. He changed the password and admin email to an email that I knew exactly who it was.

Then he tried to mess with a $6000 domain we were buying in escrow. Then he deleted everyone's email on his way out. I'm getting my domains back only because I caught it and filed a dispute before the registrar could populate on the whois.

Other than that at least the broncos won, How bout them Broncos!

topscribe
01-01-2011, 01:28 AM
I know that. But going from Mail to OE, I like Mail better. They made quite
a few improvements with it.

In fact, the reason I went to Outlook is because I was dissatisfied with OE
after going back to XP. I had Outlook at work when I was with Intuit and
finally learned to like it there, to a degree.

Another thing I discovered: OE cannot open the Windows Mail messages I
have archived. I was sending my stored messages from Mail over to my MS
Live account to open them until I went to Outlook.

But Windows Mail was the only part of Vista I liked better than XP.

P.S. You know, regarding your reference to delivering mail to predetermined
boxes, I also have it set up to do that, according to the various aliases I
have. But I have noticed that once in a while a message will come in, and
Outlook will ignore the rule I have set for it, and it will deliver it to the
default Inbox. It doesn't happen often, but OE/Mail never seemed to do that.

-----

I had better seriously consider starting a ghingko regimen. I just noticed
what I wrote. It's not the messages OE can't read: It's the address book!

Wow. :confused:

-----

horsepig
01-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Huh?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Ok, server's been down three plus hours. It appears that in the end the problem was a bad network switch on the rack where my server is located. I'm still trying to get confirmation on that and why the **** it took three hours to get whatever it was resolved.

Sorry for the downtime, hopefully with these two outages this week behind us, things will get back to stable.

When something like this happens, do you receive monetary credit? I would certainly hope they would do this.

Tned
01-01-2011, 04:20 PM
When something like this happens, do you receive monetary credit? I would certainly hope they would do this.

The GM said he would be applying a credit, because they dropped the ball.