PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Expect Broncos deals for more picks

TXBRONC
12-29-2010, 11:00 PM
We may not want to get to attached to the idea of having the 2nd overall pick in the draft should Denver lose on Sunday.

Q&A: Expect Broncos deals for more picks
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/29/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

Q: If the Broncos end up with the No. 2 or No. 3 overall pick, wouldn't it be a good idea to try and trade down several spots and pick up another second-round pick. I know this has been tough in the past because of salaries, but I don't think it will be nearly as hard with the new CBA.

A: Dennis, I would expect the Broncos to do anything they can to secure more draft picks in April, including moving down in the first round.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16960167

zbeg
12-29-2010, 11:04 PM
We may not want to get to attached to the idea of having the 2nd overall pick in the draft should Denver lose on Sunday.

Who knows what the new regime is going to bring - sure, it's a possible scenario, but I don't know how likely it is. If for no other reason, it will be hard to get a ton of value for the picks they have.

But if that's the scenario, then you definitely want a higher draft pick if your plan is to turn it into more assets!

TXBRONC
12-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Who knows what the new regime is going to bring - sure, it's a possible scenario, but I don't know how likely it is. If for no other reason, it will be hard to get a ton of value for the picks they have.

But if that's the scenario, then you definitely want a higher draft pick if your plan is to turn it into more assets!

I agree with Legwold that whoever the new coach is he's going want to boost his stock of draft picks. I've always heard it's much more difficult to move down in the draft than it is to move up.

The Glue Factory
12-29-2010, 11:14 PM
I've always heard it's much more difficult to move down in the draft than it is to move up.

That doesn't make sense. If someone moves up in the draft then someone by default HAS to move down.

As for trading down, that's just Legwold's opinion. We won't know what happens till April.

Northman
12-29-2010, 11:14 PM
If we can secure a crapload for the next two years yes. If not, take Fairly.

zbeg
12-29-2010, 11:23 PM
That doesn't make sense. If someone moves up in the draft then someone by default HAS to move down.

I think what he means is it's easier to find a deal if you are initiating it as the team who wants to trade up.

In other words, if you have the #8 pick and want to move up to the #2, it's easier to say "okay, I want to move up six spots, here's what we can offer," and you can increase the amount of compensation until you get the apporpriate swap. For an extreme example of giving up the farm to move up, look at Mike Ditka trading his ENTIRE DRAFT (and then picks the following year!) to move up to get Ricky Williams.

But if you have a high pick and you don't really want it, it's harder to initiate the trade down. The 49ers desperately tried to trade out of the Alex Smith pick a few years ago, but couldn't find anyone interested. The same was true for the Reggie Bush pick and the Texans, so the Texans ended up just taking Mario Williams instead.

If you want to move up, you can almost always move up. If you want to move down, however, it's harder to find interested buyers.

The Glue Factory
12-29-2010, 11:26 PM
If you want to move up, you can almost always move up. If you want to move down, however, it's harder to find interested buyers.

Now THAT makes sense. Thanks. :beer:

TXBRONC
12-29-2010, 11:27 PM

As for trading down, that's just Legwold's opinion. We won't know what happens till April.

It makes sense to me.

Bosco
12-29-2010, 11:44 PM

I think the point they were making is that usually when you trade down, you have to accept a little less than market value. If you're trading up, you're usually getting a bit of a bargain as far as the value chart is concerned.

Edit...see someone beat me to it.

Northman
12-29-2010, 11:50 PM
I think the point they were making is that usually when you trade down, you have to accept a little less than market value. If you're trading up, you're usually getting a bit of a bargain as far as the value chart is concerned.

Edit...see someone beat me to it.

Holy crap, you live. Havent seen you in a while.

honz
12-29-2010, 11:51 PM
Pure speculation. Depends on who is there, how good of prospect they are, if GM/coach fall in love with a guy, etc. Way too many variables between now and April to do anything other than speculate. It would make sense, sure, but to trade out of the #2 pick regardless of who is there would be irresponsible.

TXBRONC
12-29-2010, 11:57 PM
Pure speculation. Depends on who is there, how good of prospect they are, if GM/coach fall in love with a guy, etc. Way too many variables between now and April to do anything other than speculate. It would make sense, sure, but to trade out of the #2 pick regardless of who is there would be irresponsible.

I think he's right that Denver will probably want to aquire more picks but I don't know if that means that new coach will want to move out of that top five slot.

Dean
12-29-2010, 11:58 PM
If the owners are successful in getting a greatly reduced salary scale for signing rookies, IMO, it will completely change how teams view the draft. I would think that the value for the top draft choices will be enhanced. When teams know that they won't have to pay a king's ransom for an unproven product, the idea of a top five pick will be more palatable.

DenBronx
12-29-2010, 11:58 PM
IF Carolina doesnt take Luck then I could see teams calling us like crazy to get him. That would be a pipe dream for us. Keep Tebow and trade away Luck for ALOT of picks!

TXBRONC
12-30-2010, 12:01 AM
IF Carolina doesnt take Luck then I could see teams calling us like crazy to get him. That would be a pipe dream for us. Keep Tebow and trade away Luck for ALOT of picks!

I like Tebow but if Luck is there when we draft I think it would be incredibly hard to just walk way.

BroncoBJ
12-30-2010, 12:02 AM

That would be nice. But I really don't want to be in position with Luck on our hands. Just never know what we'll do in that situation. :fight: Would be nice to be able to trade down and get lot of picks though.

BeefStew25
12-30-2010, 12:02 AM

Worse case we load up on some nicely tanned defenders.

DenBronx
12-30-2010, 12:10 AM
I think Luck is great but I think Tebow will be Steve Young v2. So, pass on Luck but use him as trade bait. Having that option would only help the franchise.

But your right TX, you DO have to consider it. What if someone like Miami wanted to trade us their 1st on draft day if "their guy" is gone? Anything could happen...Elway already went on record saying "It would be almost impossible to pass on Luck"

Jags would have a brain hemmorage.

BeefStew25
12-30-2010, 12:11 AM
I almost would want the first pick to make the Gator homos have meltdowns.

TXBRONC
12-30-2010, 12:12 AM
I think Luck is great but I think Tebow will be Steve Young v2. So, pass on Luck but use him as trade bait. Having that option would only help the franchise.

But your right TX, you DO have to consider it. What if someone like Miami wanted to trade us their 1st on draft day if "their guy" is gone? Anything could happen...Elway already went on record saying "It would be almost impossible to pass on Luck"

Jags would have a brain hemmorage.

Jags would probably bleed out from every orifice on his body if we drafted Luck.

DenBronx
12-30-2010, 12:15 AM
Jags would probably bleed out from every orifice on his body if we drafted Luck.

It would suck if we did draft Luck only for him to bust like Russel, Smith, Leaf and Tebow go on to be a FQB and win games for someone.

That would outright blow and McD would have the last laugh.

TXBRONC
12-30-2010, 12:21 AM
It would suck if we did draft Luck only for him to bust like Russel, Smith, Leaf and Tebow go on to be a FQB and win games for someone.

That would outright blow and McD would have the last laugh.

True, but the reverse could also be true.

DenBronx
12-30-2010, 12:25 AM
True, but the reverse could also be true.

At least we will have NFL game tape on Tebow that shows signs of success with a team that's is second worse in the NFL.

Also, the team is really rallying around him. That says in my book, ALOT!

BroncoBJ
12-30-2010, 12:27 AM
I almost would want the first pick to make the Gator homos have meltdowns.

:lol: :lol:

If we lost Tebow, there would be a lot of Bronco fans from this year that go away. :fight:

BeefStew25
12-30-2010, 12:29 AM
:lol: :lol:

If we lost Tebow, there would be a lot of Bronco fans from this year that go away. :fight:

Lets work on an April Fools joke.

Lancane
12-30-2010, 12:43 AM
Problem is that columnists are actually clueless, while some on here have mentioned a loss of value, you have to be careful in the same sense. Netting little in return can actually hurt an organization more then help it as well...see Shanahan.

I wouldn't be surprised if we traded down though, especially with the amount of needs we have.

TXBRONC
12-30-2010, 12:49 AM
Problem is that columnists are actually clueless, while some on here have mentioned a loss of value, you have to be careful in the same sense. Netting little in return can actually hurt an organization more then help it as well...see Shanahan.

I wouldn't be surprised if we traded down though, especially with the amount of needs we have.

Maybe they don't even try to trade down depending on what they would get for Orton in trade?

Elevation inc
12-30-2010, 02:20 AM
Maybe they don't even try to trade down depending on what they would get for Orton in trade?

if orton nets us a second rd pick i doubt we trade down, if he nets us a 3rd/4th which is much morel ikely then i think we will trade down....a later first at say 12-15 should net us a extra second rd pick.....and guys like JJ watt will be screaming for us to take him...lol

dogfish
12-30-2010, 03:13 AM
if orton nets us a second rd pick i doubt we trade down, if he nets us a 3rd/4th which is much morel ikely then i think we will trade down....a later first at say 12-15 should net us a extra second rd pick.....and guys like JJ watt will be screaming for us to take him...lol

if we can trade down to the 5-10 range and still get dareus, or the 10-15 range and get watt, i'd do it in a heartbeat. . .

PAINTERDAVE
12-30-2010, 03:30 AM
Remember how McD traded around like crazy...

down... down... then back up to get 2 first round picks... yada yada.

you remember.

Who knows what will happen.

Or ... there is this scenario...

if Luck is there... we take him...

then once we have his rights...

we then trade him for stud players AND extra picks...

The way it unfolds.. will be the way it unfolds.

Like the Orton trade... that could go down way in advance of the draft...
or it could go down the day of.

It is gonna be a wild ride.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-30-2010, 08:28 AM
I'd rather just keep the #2 overall, the 34th, and whatever the pick we get from Miami and draft best Defensive player available at those spots.

Trading down can net you more picks, but as we've seen as recently as 2009, having 3 picks in the 2nd round doesn't necessarily yield players that will contribute. Of 2 second round picks, we ended up with a part time, nicked up Safety, a 3rd team TE, and a 7th round TE that was traded for a CB we spent a second rounder on...

Not exactly a good return on our investment. Trading back to pick up additional picks is nice, but it also will take us out of the running for elite talent. We haven't had the chance at "elite" talent in the draft since Elway...

zbeg
12-30-2010, 08:42 AM
I'd rather just keep the #2 overall, the 34th, and whatever the pick we get from Miami and draft best Defensive player available at those spots.

Trading down can net you more picks, but as we've seen as recently as 2009, having 3 picks in the 2nd round doesn't necessarily yield players that will contribute. Of 2 second round picks, we ended up with a part time, nicked up Safety, a 3rd team TE, and a 7th round TE that was traded for a CB we spent a second rounder on...

Not exactly a good return on our investment. Trading back to pick up additional picks is nice, but it also will take us out of the running for elite talent. We haven't had the chance at "elite" talent in the draft since Elway...

To be fair, it wasn't the fact that picks weren't high enough, or that the Broncos didn't have enough - the picks were squandered. I see no reason to think that had Denver had fewer, but higher picks, that the Broncos would have made significantly better draft decisions.

The Broncos had a lot of assets and spent them poorly - but that doesn't mean that having more assets isn't good. It just means you have to do something smart once you get them.

That said, I agree with you on having a chance at the elite talent, where the success rate in the draft is the highest, and gives the Broncos the best chance at getting a player who can make a significant impact on the team.

TXBRONC
12-30-2010, 09:56 AM

If for some reason we go two mid round picks for Orton I think that could possibly stave off Denver potentially moving down.

LTC Pain
12-30-2010, 10:28 AM
If for some reason we go two mid round picks for Orton I think that could possibly stave off Denver potentially moving down.

This is exactly what I'm hoping for :) This allows the Broncos to keep the top five pick and get an impact player and add a mid-round pick or two for depth. Sounds optimal to me.

SOCALORADO.
12-30-2010, 10:30 AM

What if the CBA and rookie pay scale is figured out before the draft?
And rookies get much less than the crazy $$$ they get now?
And what if Luck fell to DEN at #2?

DEN could then take Luck and like SD with Manning have his rights, and then work a deal for not so much picks, but proven players on another team!
Thats how DEN could make the draft into a real success.
Get a kings ransom for the coveted QB that 5-6 teams want so bad.
DEN all along keeping Tebow becuase hes the QB they want in DEN anyways.
I think this scenario would work best for DEN considering that they are so depleted in true talent.
Why not make a deal for proven players in their prime, and!! as a bonus get a pick or 2?

Jim Harbaugh named coach of the SF 49ers.
DEN drafts QB Andrew Luck, STAN
DEN trades QB Andrew Luck to SF in a sign and trade for
TE VERNON DAVIS
FS REGGIE SMITH
3RD ROUND PICK (#75)

SF gets to keep their golden boy in the bay area, and the fans are incredibly happy to rebuild with a pro calibur QB to go along with the new HC.
Yeah, i know Davis has attitude, but he plays hard, and he would make the DEN offense a complete juggernaut! Add in a true, full-time RB, and DEN could literally run any kind of offense it wants, and totally dominate.
Yes, i know DEN needs another guard which could be aquired in the draft.
DEN could then concentrate on the defense in the draft. (and another RB!)

SF gets thier HC and QB of the future and lets face it, they are not as far off as they have looked this year. Davis has a bit of a poor relationship there anyways, so a change of scenery for him is just what both DEN and SF needs.

Dont flame me for this! i just threw it out there as a possibility considering the weird situation with so many team needing a QB and many of those teams needing a HC as well! Who knows? it could be a similiar situation.
Of course CAR could do the same thing!

Traveler
12-30-2010, 11:45 AM

DEN could then take Luck and like SD with Manning have his rights, and then work a deal for not so much picks, but proven players on another team!
I think this scenario would work best for DEN considering that they are so depleted in true talent.
Why not make a deal for proven players in their prime, and!! as a bonus get a pick or 2?

TE VERNON DAVIS
FS REGGIE SMITH
3RD ROUND PICK (#75)

SF gets to keep their golden boy in the bay area, and the fans are incredibly happy to rebuild with a pro calibur QB to go along with the new HC.
Yeah, i know Davis has attitude, but he plays hard, and he would make the DEN offense a complete juggernaut! Add in a true, full-time RB, and DEN could literally run any kind of offense it wants, and totally dominate.

SF gets thier HC and QB of the future and lets face it, they are not as far off as they have looked this year. Davis has a bit of a poor relationship there anyways, so a change of scenery for him is just what both DEN and SF needs.

Dont flame me for this! i just threw it out there as a possibility considering the weird situation with so many team needing a QB and many of those teams needing a HC as well! Who knows? it could be a similiar situation.

I agree with Legwold when he mentions in the article that if Luck is available to us, we have to take him.

What to do afterwards is completely unknown.

SC- as to your trade, I like the Davis pipedream. Did you mean Reggie Smith or Nelson? If it's Nelson, word on him is that he's not that intelligent (to put it nicely).

If Denver were to have this opportunity, my thought would be to offer both QB's, see who would bring the most in return, then make the deal.

I just want them to start building a solid foundation with younger players using all avenues possible. Almost no one should be untouchable as far as any proposed trades, unless it is cost prohibitive cap wise IMO.

EDIT- It is Smith, my apologies.

TXBRONC
12-30-2010, 12:09 PM

TE VERNON DAVIS
FS REGGIE SMITH
3RD ROUND PICK (#75)

You must not have gotten any sleep to think up this scenario. :D (kidding)

Seriously, if for some freakish reason we end up with the chance to draft Luck I don't see us trading him away. I could see us holding on to both quarterbacks for at least a year.

Ravage!!!
12-30-2010, 12:14 PM
You must not have gotten any sleep to think up this scenario. :D (kidding)

Seriously, if for some freakish reason we end up with the chance to draft Luck I don't see us trading him away. I could see us holding on to both quarterbacks for at least a year.

I don't. If we would happen to draft Luck, then I think the Highest Value for Tebow would be now. Very little starting time, with just enough success to give hope. Having a QB controversy with 2 first round pick QBs on the roster would only cause problems.

But as you said. It would have to be a freakish chance to even sniff that opportunity. Unless, we trade Tebow to Carolina to change places with them.

TXBRONC
12-30-2010, 12:25 PM
I don't. If we would happen to draft Luck, then I think the Highest Value for Tebow would be now. Very little starting time, with just enough success to give hope. Having a QB controversy with 2 first round pick QBs on the roster would only cause problems.

But as you said. It would have to be a freakish chance to even sniff that opportunity. Unless, we trade Tebow to Carolina to change places with them.

The Cowboys drafted both Aikman and Steve Walsh in the same year and after one year Walsh was traded.

WARHORSE
12-30-2010, 12:36 PM
I dont think Luck willl come out, which means he will be in next years draft.

If a CBA is in place with a rookie pay scale, I think the trading will be increased somewhat.

I think the new GM may look to secure more draft picks by trading down, but not that far down.

Since I dont believe Luck will come out, Im hoping Cam Newton makes a big splash in the big game, as well as the workouts in the combine and/or Auburn pro day.

I hope he blows away someone who wants to move up to get him enough to give us picks.

If we pick at 2, then moving down one spot brings a second rounder.

If we move down two spots, 2 second rounders, or perhaps a first the following year.

Moving down two spots, we still get a heckuva football player.

I believe Fairley is the best player for us overall, considering talent and need.
But I also wouldnt mind Quinn, because coupled with Doom, Ayers and DJ, our pass rush would become K.I.L.L.E.R.

We could then use the two second rounders to secure some meat up front. A good NT to be sure wil be there at the top of round two, and a 3-4 DE at 2b from Miami.

If we took Fairley, he would help the pass rush as well to be sure....but Quinn has sub 4.4 speed.....and a non stop motor......hard to pass that up especially since he can put his hand in the dirt at DE too.

Another thought would be to bulk up Ayers and let him play DE. The guy can set the edge, and he has the power rush that a 3-4 DE needs to be effective on passing downs.

Any of the following will be great picks though.

Bowers.....Quinn.....Peterson.....Amakumara.....Ma rcel D........Fairley.........AJ Green(though we wont take him someone will).....

LTC Pain
12-30-2010, 12:40 PM

Given how our defense stinks I don't see it happening. We need to get an impact D-lineman with our first pick. Having Orton and Tebow on the roster is quandry enough. Adding Luck when the team has other pressing needs to fill seems to epitomize "bad drafting". And I do understand taking the "best player avaiable". Just my two cents.

Ravage!!!
12-30-2010, 12:42 PM
The Cowboys drafted both Aikman and Steve Walsh in the same year and after one year Walsh was traded.

Ok, but how many have done that since?

I just don't see the benefit of it. Both QBs couldn't get the main portion of the reps, which would mean you would have to split them.. and thus one that SHOULD be getting more reps wouldn't.

Then, you have your#1 overall pick QB not getting the time he should, and Tebow would be losing value because he would be sitting behind Luck (whom Elway LOVES).

Seems that the ONLy way we could get more value for Tebow, would be to trade him on draft day, right when his value is at its highest.

Example Carolina. Now I know this is COMPLETE fiction, and doesn't stand a microfiber of having any reality to it. But, lets say that we want to move up from #2 to #1 to take Luck. We could trade Carolina Tebow to move up one spot. Then they could still get their guy, AND have a QB that would bring in a large following with a chance to compete with Clausen as their future QBs. They havent' lost ANYTHING, because they can still get any guy they want at #2, get a starting QB that has potential to go along with another guy they already have that still has potential while they lose just ONE draft position.

Now people want to say "but we already have a QB".... well.. We know the odds are Much much greater against Tebow to be that pure passing QB that you need in the NFL than Luck. We would have the centerpiece that all teams need.. AND.. it would be a kid that has the highest rating since Elway, from the same school as Elway, validated BY Elway when Elway himself is a part of the player personnel FO. Not only is Luck everything you want, but he has a photographic memory on top of it.

The last time the NFL had a QB rated this high coming out of college, we ruled the AFC West. The last thing the Chiefs, Chargers, and Raiders would want to see is for us to get ANOTHER top QB out of Stanford.

Ravage!!!
12-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Given how our defense stinks I don't see it happening. We need to get an impact D-lineman with our first pick. Having Orton and Tebow on the roster is quandry enough. Adding Luck when the team has other pressing needs to fill seems to epitomize "bad drafting". And I do understand taking the "best player avaiable". Just my two cents.

Orton is going to be traded. If we drafted Luck (and again, I TRULY know its not going to happen) then I think we trade Tebow off as well. So we would get value for Orton, get value for Tebow, and draft Luck..... then we could STILL address teh defense without having to use a top 2 pick on a defensive player. QB is where you spend a #2 pick, especially for a kid like Luck.

Its VERY possible to build the defense with the rest of our picks if we would have the opportunity to take Luck. No defensive player could EVER make the difference that a QB does.

LTC Pain
12-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Orton is going to be traded. If we drafted Luck (and again, I TRULY know its not going to happen) then I think we trade Tebow off as well. So we would get value for Orton, get value for Tebow, and draft Luck..... then we could STILL address teh defense without having to use a top 2 pick on a defensive player. QB is where you spend a #2 pick, especially for a kid like Luck.

Its VERY possible to build the defense with the rest of our picks if we would have the opportunity to take Luck. No defensive player could EVER make the difference that a QB does.

Okay, Orton and Tebow are traded and we draft Luck. Who are the other QBs you see on the roster? Surely you're not proposing handing the offense over to a rookie QB who's only played, what, 22 college games? Who's going to backup/mentor Luck? Quinn? Tavaris Jackson? A journeyman QB? Too many holes in the "get rid of Orton/Tebow draft Luck theory".

Arghhh, this seems like McD blowing up part of the roster again and starting over!

TXBRONC
12-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Given how our defense stinks I don't see it happening. We need to get an impact D-lineman with our first pick. Having Orton and Tebow on the roster is quandary enough. Adding Luck when the team has other pressing needs to fill seems to epitomize "bad drafting". And I do understand taking the "best player available". Just my two cents.

I don't think drafting Luck if available would be bad drafting. If Orton is moved it would before the draft, that's what I get out what Legwold is saying because the new coaching staff is probably going what bolster draft situation. Tebow and Orton can't be moved at the same time unless we can change places with the Panthers.

Lancane
12-30-2010, 01:14 PM
No need to draft Luck, because if by some weird-odd chance we have the first overall pick, then we'll take the best package offered and that is what I feel will happen. Look for the Washington, Buffalo, Minnesota and possibly San Francisco to try and trade with us in that scenario.

TXBRONC
12-30-2010, 01:17 PM
No need to draft Luck, because if by some weird-odd chance we have the first overall pick, then we'll take the best package offered and that is what I feel will happen. Look for the Washington, Buffalo, Minnesota and possibly San Francisco to try and trade with us in that scenario.

Fair enough but I still thing if Luck is on the board when we draft, we still take him and keep him. :eviltongue:

Lancane
12-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Fair enough but I still thing if Luck is on the board when we draft, we still take him and keep him. :eviltongue:

I could see that happening, but I'm not trying to open up wounds, because a lot of fans will be pissed if we draft him then trade him, and then by some chance he is the next Elway. Or if we draft him, keep him then Tebow fans will be literally pissed because chances are high Tebow will get traded because Elway's affinity for Luck.

Shit...trying to play the middle is tougher then I thought! :laugh:

LTC Pain
12-30-2010, 01:21 PM
I could see that happening, but I'm not trying to open up wounds, because a lot of fans will be pissed if we draft him then trade him, and then by some chance he is the next Elway. Or if we draft him, keep him then Tebow fans will be literally pissed because chances are high Tebow will get traded because Elway's affinity for Luck.

Lean forward and choke yourself Private Pyle :lol: :laugh:

T.K.O.
12-30-2010, 01:22 PM
if the new cba does contain a rookie pay scale and it is significantly lower avg rookie contract.i think that will have a huge impact on guys like luck deciding to wait.
the biggest selling point for any top prospect this year is to get in BEFORE the cap is in place.
could be the last time a rookie can come in and make 100 mil w/o playing a down.
if there is no cba in place before the draft,i expect record #'s of younger guys jumping in at the request of their agents !
get it while you can !:elefant:

SOCALORADO.
12-30-2010, 02:57 PM

So if by some chance DEN does draft Luck, they better make the deal of a lifetime for him! That way no one will cry if he is a good player down the road. We can always just say, "Well; we still got ________." insert Pro-Bowl player(s) here.
DEN better rape them of players or picks for Luck, and make it worth it.

Elevation inc
12-30-2010, 03:25 PM

thats just it there is plenty of elite DL talent all the way till the 20's this draft

Lonestar
12-30-2010, 07:45 PM

A very logical post however most rookie dline guys don't mAke a huge impact year one. We are about 12 years behind the curve of being able to have a good DL guy.
We should be drafting one on day one every third year or so day two at the latest. That would stop the need to constantly use expensive fa to fill the holes there.

TXBRONC
12-30-2010, 08:19 PM
No team that I'm aware of drafts defensive linemen in the first round every three years. If and when Denver gets back to being a consistent playoff contender the wont be in a position to draft first round defensive line talent every three years. That's not logical.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-30-2010, 08:34 PM
So, I was thinking. How about we just trade the #2 overall pick plus a second rounder to Baltimore for Haloti Ngata? He's better than any of the prospects in the draft this year, IMO. :D

So, you think Baltimore would go for it? ;)

TXBRONC
12-30-2010, 08:40 PM
So, I was thinking. How about we just trade the #2 overall pick plus a second rounder to Baltimore for Haloti Ngata? He's better than any of the prospects in the draft this year, IMO. :D

So, you think Baltimore would go for it? ;)

Oh yeah I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate. :lol:

horsepig
12-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Well, I don't know, they basically gave us Elway for a song and a dance. I know it's not the same franchise but, it is the same city.

BTW. I think the biggest rat **** ever in sports goes to Cleveland. The ******* Browns move to Baltimore and win a SB just like that. How hard did that have to be? And I've always hated the Colts for leaving Baltimore. Johnny U. was my childhood hero.