PDA

View Full Version : Selvin Young only needs 1936 more yards for 2000 on the season

sneakers
09-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Just keeping track.......

Still that's only 131 yards a game for the remaining 15 games.

shank
09-09-2008, 12:29 AM
piece of cake

weazel
09-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Selvin Young played tonight? wierd, I never noticed him.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-09-2008, 12:32 AM
If he knocks 936 off of it I'd be surprised.

Tebow4Ever
09-09-2008, 12:33 AM
It's an uphill battle from here. Andre Hall outplayed him tonight.

Tebow4Ever

weazel
If he knocks 936 off of it I'd be surprised.

if he knocked 93.6 off of it I'd be surprised

DenBronx
09-09-2008, 01:57 AM
he wont do it.

i'm glad he has high hopes but the way were spreading the ball around he will be lucky to get 1100 splitting carries with hall and pittman.

:listen: and i hear a guy by the name of torain might be back by week 6. think they might let him run a few plays each game to see what he can do???

Retired_Member_001
09-09-2008, 06:26 AM
Just keeping track.......

Still that's only 131 yards a game for the remaining 15 games.

Do you know how hard it is to get 131 yards a game for 15 games? You have to be 100% healthy for all of those games for one, you also have to hope your offensive line doesn't have an "off" game, and you also have to hope that you don't play good run stuffing teams.

Selvin will never get 2,000 yards, I don't want to be negative after such a positive game, but he's just not good enough.

ktrain
09-09-2008, 07:29 AM

Just wait until Torian gets back from injury, I think he could be the real deal.

Selvin = this year's Mike Bell????? I hope not, I still think selvin can be a weapon coming out of the backfield on swing passes. I wonder if the 10-15 pounds he gaines to "bulk up" and help him be less injury prone was hurt his speed.

BTW, I see alot of similarities between Selvin now and what i have seen from McFadden, good forward speed but an inability to make lateral cuts????

Let's call it now.... Sporting News was right McFadden = McBust

MOtorboat
09-09-2008, 07:36 AM
Just wait until Torian gets back from injury, I think he could be the real deal.

Selvin = this year's Mike Bell????? I hope not, I still think selvin can be a weapon coming out of the backfield on swing passes. I wonder if the 10-15 pounds he gaines to "bulk up" and help him be less injury prone was hurt his speed.

BTW, I see alot of similarities between Selvin now and what i have seen from McFadden, good forward speed but an inability to make lateral cuts????

How can you claim he's a bust after one game? He had a YPC over 5...if anything its Kiffin's fault for not giving him the ball more...of course, they were down 24-0 at one point, I don't think the run game is very important at that moment in time.

Tned
09-09-2008, 07:44 AM

The handful of carries wasn't enough to tell anything, but did show glimpses of why he can be a great weapon.

Could he be a bust? Sure. Will he? Doubtful.

Retired_Member_001
09-09-2008, 08:28 AM

Selvin Young could be a Reggie Bush type player. He's a utility player, a guy I would be very comfortable with lining up in the slot. He's also pretty good when it comes to blocking. I wouldn't call Selvin this years Mike Bell, but he may not be as good as he, and the rest of us may be claiming him to be.

As for McFadden, never call a player a bust on his first game. Unless he has a Ryan Leaf type performance, you can't determine if a guy is a bust or not from the first game.

honz
09-09-2008, 09:51 AM
I think Selvin is a decent running back and gives us a bit of a different look than Hall and Pittman do. He is an important part of our RBBC this year even if he will never be a star RB that can carry the load for a team game in game out.

Selvin isn't a physical runner, but he seems to have the most burst out of our RBs and has the ability to hit the hole and be gone if he can get through. Selvin seems like a hard worker and a good guy and I'm glad he is a Bronco.

ktrain
09-09-2008, 09:53 AM
How can you claim he's a bust after one game? He had a YPC over 5...if anything its Kiffin's fault for not giving him the ball more...of course, they were down 24-0 at one point, I don't think the run game is very important at that moment in time.

Was very unimpressive for a 4th overall pick, he'll probably be a serviceable back but nothing special. yes he ran fairly well on the toss sweeps to the left or right, but he showed no wiggle or ability to change direction on a dime. My observations just confirms what was written about him in sporting news Below:

McFadden, Gholston have look of NFL busts
E-MAIL PRINT COMMENTS 24 WATCH THIS TOPIC
Posted: September 5, 2008

Few players selected in the 2008 NFL draft displayed better measurable skills than Arkansas running back Darren McFadden and Ohio State end/linebacker Vernon Gholston. Both ran fast at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, with McFadden clocking in at 4.33 seconds in the 40-yard dash and Gholston crossing the tape in less than 4.7 seconds, remarkable for a 266-pound man.

I could not wait to study both on tape, anticipating that I would be evaluating two players who would make immediate and long-term impacts in the NFL. In the case of McFadden, I was led to believe he was as good as, or even better than, the Vikings' Adrian Peterson, who led the NFC in rushing and shattered the NFL single-game rushing record in '07.

I watched game after game, eight in all, and struggled to find the attributes that would project McFadden as being a big success in the NFL. The key in assessing college players is not to be blinded by production but rather to have a strong understanding of the traits and attributes that translate to the NFL game.
Think of the top running backs in the NFL, players like Peterson, LaDainian Tomlinson, Brian Westbrook, Fred Taylor. Even though each has his own distinct style, one characteristic they all share is lateral agility and explosiveness. They each have an elusiveness, a shiftiness that makes it difficult for defenders to get clean hits. They have that wiggle, that "shake and bake" that allows them to make unblocked defenders miss in the open field.
Lateral quickness and explosiveness is an essential trait to be an elite NFL runner. Great runners create space with their quick feet and elusiveness. They change direction almost effortlessly, with a fluidity and smoothness that belies their dynamic quickness.

That's far more important than straight-line speed, which has little to do with being a top-line NFL back. McFadden's game is about downhill speed and acceleration. There is no question he is vertically explosive. He can run by people. And in Arkansas' version of the spread offense, with the wide splits by the offensive linemen and the defense stretched horizontally, McFadden at times was able to explode through gaping holes and simply outrun his pursuers.

But that's all the tape showed.

He lacked lateral agility, that innate ability to change direction and create space, while at the same time avoiding contact. He did not exhibit great balance or body control. He was not a natural runner with instincts and vision, which really concerns me as he transitions to the power-based and zone-based running games that define the NFL.

McFadden also ran with a narrow base, showing little physicality for a man who weighs 211 pounds. In fact, he often stopped his feet when he anticipated taking a hit, rarely running through tackles. I was surprised at how easily he went down.

It was as if McFadden collapsed upon contact.

I have no doubt McFadden will produce some electrifying plays this season with the Raiders, but he does not possess the attributes that produce excellence, or even consistency, as a feature back in the NFL.

Gholston was chosen sixth in last April's draft, two spots after McFadden. Gholston played defensive end at Ohio State, but the Jets project him as an outside linebacker in their 3-4 scheme. His size and speed profile was deemed the right combination for him to transition well to the NFL as an elite pass rusher.

A number of things struck me as I watched six Ohio State games on tape, and I did this after I witnessed his athletic feats at the NFL Combine. First, Gholston's athleticism on the field, during games, did not match his off-field measurable skills. He did not play anywhere near as fast as he timed in the 40-yard dash.

In addition, his level of energy and effort varied from play to play, game to game. He did not come across on film as a consistent competitor, and that's always a red flag. In fact, in three of the game tapes I broke down, I would not have known Gholston was on the field if not specifically watching him.

What made Gholston a tough evaluation was that he occasionally flashed the natural explosion off the snap and the burst and acceleration necessary to be an effective NFL edge rusher.

He was selectively explosive. He showed that against LSU in last year's national championship game. He played with intensity and effort, and his athletic ability and physicality stood out.

But other than the sporadic pass rush, Gholston did not show the attributes demanded to play outside linebacker in a base 3-4 scheme. He lacked change-of-direction skills, and he did not show quick movement in the open field. And that really jumped out on film in preseason.

Sure, there is a steep learning curve in the NFL from a mental standpoint, and that can limit reaction time, but Gholston showed no stop-and-start skills and little athleticism in preseason games. He was slow and plodding.

Gholston looks like a street free agent.

He is a project as an NFL outside linebacker and a question mark as a pass rusher, even with his hand on the ground at defensive end.

Greg Cosell of NFL Films analyzes coaching tape and is executive producer of State Farm NFL Matchup. He is a frequent contributor to Sporting News.

broncogirl7
09-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Selvin Young just didn't have the playing time. I believe they concentrated more on Andre because his mother died yesterday and he wanted to play for her.
Now, if Torrain comes back healthy and plays as expected...Selvin may not get my prediction of ?>1,500 yards? for the season. Damn it!

sneakers
09-15-2008, 12:40 AM
C'mon Selvin, only 1886 more yards to go!!

That is only 135 yards a game for the remaining 14 games.

shank
09-15-2008, 12:51 AM
it's in the bag

honz
09-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Slow and steady wins the race.

sneakers
09-23-2008, 05:21 AM
With 179 rushing yards through 3 games, Selvin only needs 1821 more rushing yards for 2000 on the season. With 13 games remaining, Selvin only needs to average 140 yards per game for the rest of the season!

omac
09-23-2008, 06:24 AM
I guess we'd better really run up the score, in order to get Selvin the yards he needs. :D

sneakers
10-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Alright, selvin got 38 yards today, raising his total to 266 for the year....

That means he still needs 1734 to reach 2000. With 11 games remaining, he needs to average 158 yards a game.

Reidman
10-06-2008, 07:20 AM
Might set the bar a little lower like 1000 yds...:D

sneakers
10-07-2008, 06:43 AM
Might set the bar a little lower like 1000 yds...:D

Yes, yes, that may be so....but he didn't predict 1000 yards before the season, he predicted 2000 yards!

dogfish
10-07-2008, 02:21 PM
where's holy diver?

:heh:

Retired_Member_001
10-27-2008, 03:00 AM
How is the quest for 2,000 going Selvin? :laugh:

G_Money
10-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I was just re-reading the whole argument we had before the season over whether Selvin Young could stay healthy with 25 carries a game over a whole season - or even 12 a game.

Good times.

I really wouldn't give Selvin any sort of long term contract. Ever.

Sadly, I'm starting to feel the same way about Scheffler. If he can't stay healthy, then I can't pay him millions of dollars to sit on the sidelines or come out of every game injured.

Boss already has that spot taken.

Hopefully this is the only injury Selvin suffers this year - other than the one to his pride for making that stupid 2k yards prediction, anyway.

Although I want to see if Torain can be a good back for us next year, so maybe Selvin needs to get more dinged up so he doesn't take touches away from him.

I'm sure Selvin can oblige...

~G

HolyDiver
10-27-2008, 02:47 PM
At this point, I like Pittman to start with hopefully, Torain coming in to relieve him.............Young can be the #3 and Hall can hit the road.

Broncolingus
10-27-2008, 02:49 PM
At this point, I like Pittman to start with hopefully, Torain coming in to relieve him.............Young can be the #3 and Hall can hit the road.

I agree...Pittman has been okay when healthy, although, I'd like to see him STAY healthy.

Hall is done (at least based on Shanny's past with backs who pull what he pulled)...

...Selvin looks like he won't be able to last a season, even with a 'light' amount of carries...

...or half a season...

...or 1/4 season...

...or...

LRtagger
10-27-2008, 02:58 PM
In Selvin's defense, it IS a groin injury which half the team has suffered through already this season.

Maybe the team should start ordering jock straps from another company.

Benetto
10-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Maybe the team should grow some balls, then any jockstrap will give them support.

honz
10-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I was just re-reading the whole argument we had before the season over whether Selvin Young could stay healthy with 25 carries a game over a whole season - or even 12 a game.

Good times.

I really wouldn't give Selvin any sort of long term contract. Ever.

Sadly, I'm starting to feel the same way about Scheffler. If he can't stay healthy, then I can't pay him millions of dollars to sit on the sidelines or come out of every game injured.

Boss already has that spot taken.

Hopefully this is the only injury Selvin suffers this year - other than the one to his pride for making that stupid 2k yards prediction, anyway.

Although I want to see if Torain can be a good back for us next year, so maybe Selvin needs to get more dinged up so he doesn't take touches away from him.

I'm sure Selvin can oblige...

~G
I guess we should release Champ then. People that tweak their groins are worthless and injury prone.

G_Money
10-27-2008, 07:50 PM
*shrugs* It all depends on how you weight the scales.

Do you put a thumb on the side of talent, or of playing time? And how hard do you press?

Dan Morgan had oodles of talent. The guy had as much talent as LBs that are in the HOF...but he couldn't stay healthy. Fred Jones would be a HOF RB if he could be more healthy, but he's always going down with some injury. Chris Chandler was a terrific QB and a winner...when he was healthy enough to play.

Champ has missed what, 3 starts in the 4 and a half years since he's been here? I wouldn't call that a horrible issue yet, but as he ages it's something to watch out for.

Young missed games and large swaths of seasons in college, and thus far gets dinged up whenever he sees significant action. He's gonna have to turn the ship around on that or he's not gonna be here long. RBs that can't tote the rock are like wideouts who can't catch - soon for the unemployment line.

Scheffler gets hurt IN games, and in the preseason, but hasn't been missing entire games very often...yet. It bears watching. He's Jay's Buddy (tm) and a good receiver, but I have concerns about his ability to stay on the field. Right now we're carrying Nate Jackson SPECIFICALLY because Scheffler can't stay healthy (and neither can Nate) but between the two of them we should be able to field one pass-catching threat at TE every week.

As the money they make goes up, the ability to put up with the injury woes goes down. When Scheffler hits free agency, what will you be willing to pay for one of the best receiving TEs in the game?

If you're smart, it SHOULD be affected by how often you expect that guy to be on the field over the length of the contract, or at least over the guaranteed-money years.

Dallas Clark got 6 years/42 million.

Our own Daniel Graham got 5 and 30.

Kellen Winslow's gonna break the bank somewhere if he can keep his mouth shut long enough to do so - and can stay healthy his ownself.

It's a consideration. Morgan was eventually released because he just couldn't get on the field. Taylor and Chandler earned good long careers by being just healthy enough to play large portions of the season and make an impact. Teams weigh all the costs, and being injury-prone is one of the costs. One of the reasons DJ got his money is because the man plays every damn game. This far, the one thing you DON'T worry about with DJ is whether he takes the field on Sunday.

I wouldn't cut Champ for pulling a groin muscle, but if it keeps happening I'd have to consider moving him to free safety, and in the meantime I'd have to spend an extra draftpick on another DB "just in case."

It's all part of the equation.

Selvin doesn't get that sort of consideration. He's not making Big Bucks and he's not a bajillion-time Pro Bowler and future HOF player.

If he can't stay healthy, he just gets cut.

Scheff might find out what happened to the Catching Cowboy when he got to costing more money than we wanted to pay him. That's when we drafted Scheffler and let him walk.

Just sayin.

~G

honz
10-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Wow, that was quite the reply...

But how would moving Champ to safety keep him healthy? Also, my simple point is that I think being "injury prone" is bogus in most cases. Aaron Rodgers was considered injury prone until this year...Champ has never been considered injury prone...Tom Brady has never been considered injury prone...Nate Jackson was considered injury prone until this year...

G_Money
10-28-2008, 01:45 AM
One injury does not injury-prone make.

Selvin Young hasn't been healthy since high school. Literally. He's been injured or in pain every year since he was 18 - his words.

That's injury prone.

I didn't say I considered Champ injury prone, just that as players age they become more succeptible to injury. It's not him specifically, it's all players. Safety cuts down on leg injuries because there's not as much man coverage so following the WR in and out of cuts is less a part of the job. OTOH, it increases the likelyhood of upper-body injuries due to the extra hits applied.

Groin injuries are going around our team. Obviously we suck at this thing called "stretching." But Champ has had a couple of leg injuries the last couple years, and both hammys and groins become recurrent injury issues if not properly managed.

It's something to watch with him, that's all. He's not the kinda player you kick outta bed for eatin' crackers, so I'll take a few niggling concerns for his massive amounts of skill and talent and not think twice about it.

Injury-prone is definitely an abused term, but when it fits, it fits. Boss Bailey is injury prone, with a nice degenerative knee condition to boot. Selvin Young is injury prone. Scheff and Jackson both are injury prone. Can they get over it? Sure. Some guys get personal trainers and massage therapists and acupuncturists and whatever else they can find to try to combat the issue. New stretching routines, different offseason workouts (something Scheff might want to look into since he never starts the season or pre-season well)...

It's like being fumble-prone, or prone to dropping passes, or any number of other issues. They CAN be greatly improved with proper work, but if you have small hands or one paw is a club instead of a useful appendage there's only so far you can come.

~G

HolyDiver
10-28-2008, 06:29 AM
Wow, that was quite the reply...

But how would moving Champ to safety keep him healthy? Also, my simple point is that I think being "injury prone" is bogus in most cases. Aaron Rodgers was considered injury prone until this year...Champ has never been considered injury prone...Tom Brady has never been considered injury prone...Nate Jackson was considered injury prone until this year...

Champ at Safety? ............hmmm, it worked very well with Rod Woodson..if we had better Corners, that would be a great move.

REB
10-28-2008, 04:46 PM
All I know is that I'm looking forward to seeing what Torain can do for us. I'm hoping he ends up being our next TD. Time will tell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_bdlrXQczU

Lonestar
10-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Champ at Safety? ............hmmm, it worked very well with Rod Woodson..if we had better Corners, that would be a great move.

if Champ was slowing down as a CB perhaps I could see it.. but when the others made the move it was because they could not longer play a WR one on one..

Champ is a few years away from that happening.. His teammate in WAS played CB till he was 42.. Darell Greene..