PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Patriots D Lineman signed

PAINTERDAVE
12-29-2010, 12:04 PM
The Broncos on Wednesday signed defensive lineman Louis Leonard.
He fills the spot vacated by LB Lee Robinson, who was placed on IR.
27 minutes ago via Selective Tweets

Another Ex-patriot and McD isn't even here!

Defensive lineman... hey... one more new defender to bring to camp
and compete in the new defense. Lots of holes to fill.

NFL Experience: 4th season

broncofaninfla
12-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Looks like Mcds love for NE rubbed off on Xanders. Can't say that gives me a rosey feeling about Xanders ability to be a GM for Denver.

lgenf
12-29-2010, 12:27 PM
doesn't it really depend on who is out there available to pick up?

I mean he may have been from NE formerly, but in week 17 when you are trying to just fill a rotation who is really out there that may be in any kind of game shape with enough knowledge to just step into a system and actually not be in the way?

what is the defensive system we currently run, is it based off of NE? then it would stand to reason that a former NE guy would fill the role easily

PAINTERDAVE
12-29-2010, 12:34 PM
4th year... decent size... grabbing him now gets him on our roster for camp next year as well...

this defense needs all the help it can get.

We will be seeing LOTS of new faces brought in to compete...

BroncoNut
12-29-2010, 12:38 PM
good point lgenf. I think it's pretty much coincidence. I'm not concerced about where he came from at this point. I hope he can bring something

jhildebrand
12-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Looks like Mcds love for NE rubbed off on Xanders. Can't say that gives me a rosey feeling about Xanders ability to be a GM for Denver.

Chevis Jackson was a NE guy too.

After more thought, this may have Ellis' fingerprint on it as much as Xanders. Who knows.

Why not start signing practice squad guys from the likes of Baltimore, GB, and other teams with loads of defensive talent?

TXBRONC
12-29-2010, 01:02 PM
4th year... decent size... grabbing him now gets him on our roster for camp next year as well...

this defense needs all the help it can get.

We will be seeing LOTS of new faces brought in to compete...

That's true, but I getting tired of it being just New England castoffs.

jhildebrand
12-29-2010, 01:04 PM

Same here. Hence the PS suggestion. What difference does our system on D make? We are in the last week of the season for Christ's sakes!

But hey, the more whomever goes to the NE well and the more it doesn't pan out, the more likely they will be released for incompetence. One can hope right :D

BroncoNut
12-29-2010, 01:10 PM

better than being castoffs of the browns :shugs

lgenf
12-29-2010, 01:12 PM
What difference does our system on D make? We are in the last week of the season for Christ's sakes!

because if we run a system that he is familiar with then when line stunts are called out before a play, or plays are called in the defensive huddle he knows where he is supposed to be instead of in the way

it does seem that the team is making an effort to WIN this week and not lay down, you wouldn't sign someone in week 17 if you just wanted to get to the off season

seems like this would make most fans happy..........

MileHiWildcat
12-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Great - more NE trash. This organization is so lost.

Superchop 7
12-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Guys.....New England had the guy for 6 days.

He did pretty well in 08, broke his ankle in 09.

Who knows, give him a shot in camp.

BeefStew25
12-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Well, he is cheaper than Jarvis Green.

Superchop 7
12-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Well, he is cheaper than Jarvis Green.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

:elefant:

I Eat Staples
12-29-2010, 03:41 PM
If you have competition at every position, its either really good or really bad, but usually really bad. Its only good if that competition is something like Jamal Charles and Thomas Jones. Most of the "competition" that McD bragged about meant that no one was good enough to be the guy.

LTC Pain
12-29-2010, 04:33 PM
We need D-lineman who can eat concertina wire and crap thunder. If Leonard meets these requirements then I love the guy.

Juriga72
12-29-2010, 07:25 PM

With a new D system coming in..why grab a NE guy? meh

hamrob
12-29-2010, 07:55 PM
Article:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/12/29/1900484/welcome-to-the-denver-broncos-dl-louis-leonard

He's worth taking a look at in the offseason.

oubronco
12-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Along with Kevin Vickerson (6'5" 330), Jamal Williams (6'3" 340), Justin Bannan (6'3' 315) the Broncos have added some beef this year. With some young studs in the draft we might actually have decent D-line next year

PAINTERDAVE
12-29-2010, 08:49 PM
With a new D system coming in..why grab a NE guy? meh

"Leonard was originally an undrafted free agent signed by the San Diego Chargers, and he eventually wound up with the Cleveland Browns where he made four starts in place of Shaun Rogers at defensive end. The Browns traded him to the Carolina Panthers for a sixth round draft choice in the 2009 NFL Draft, and he was playing well for the Panthers prior to breaking his ankle in the second week of the season, placing him on season-ending injured reserve.

He has not been the same player since then, but the 6'4" 330 pound Leonard has plenty of upside for the Broncos, who could certainly use any help they can get on the defensive line. He's been slowed by injuries since being traded to Carolina, and had since found a home with the New England Patriots."

From the article cited above.

Dude was only with New England for a few weeks...

zbeg
12-29-2010, 09:03 PM
"Leonard was originally an undrafted free agent signed by the San Diego Chargers, and he eventually wound up with the Cleveland Browns where he made four starts in place of Shaun Rogers at defensive end. The Browns traded him to the Carolina Panthers for a sixth round draft choice in the 2009 NFL Draft, and he was playing well for the Panthers prior to breaking his ankle in the second week of the season, placing him on season-ending injured reserve.

He has not been the same player since then, but the 6'4" 330 pound Leonard has plenty of upside for the Broncos, who could certainly use any help they can get on the defensive line. He's been slowed by injuries since being traded to Carolina, and had since found a home with the New England Patriots."

From the article cited above.

Dude was only with New England for a few weeks...

And he still meets the requirement of being an ex-Browns lineman! ;-)

bcbronc
12-29-2010, 10:39 PM
And he still meets the requirement of being an ex-Browns lineman! ;-)

Yes! back to Broncos football!!

:defense:

BeefStew25
12-29-2010, 11:29 PM
Man I miss Courtney Brown.

jhildebrand
12-30-2010, 12:14 AM
Man I miss Courtney Brown.

gerrard warren too!