PDA

View Full Version : Footwork: the good, the bad, the ugly and where Tebow fits in

zbeg
12-29-2010, 08:12 AM
I've probably used the word "footwork" ten times in the 15 or so posts I've posted so far, and that's because it's the single most important thing that translates to accuracy as a passer. I want to be clear about what I'm talking about, so I figured I'd throw some examples together so that you can see what I'm seeing.

Much has been made of Tebow's arm motion, but what I want to know is: what are his feet doing?

Let's take the posterchild for textbook footwork, Tom Brady (Peyton Manning is just as good; I chose Brady for this example, but you can't go wrong with either).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzsKBMBBqro

0:05 - Brady takes the dropback. It's just a little three-step drop, but the feet are precisely spaced and there's no wasted motion. Two hops, locates the open receiver, then sets his feet, steps into his throw, and opens his hips. The hips are secretly important too, as having bad hips or hips that don't open will result in less accurate passes.

0:42 - The dropback looks a little weird because of the semi playaction fake, but his feet are set, hips open, steps into the throw, long completion.

1:10 - Five step drop, again no wasted motion. He's under a little bit of pressure, but still moves around in order to set up the throw (and have his toes pointed in the right direction when he needs to plant and throw), and despite guys around him, he still sets the feet, steps into the throw, open the hips.

Most NFL quarterbacks do not have the presence of mind to ensure that the mechanics are correct when under pressure. It's a panic reaction, just get the ball out however possible. We'll see examples of poor footwork later, and you'll see that it's not as easy as Brady makes it look.

Skipping ahead (past the highlight against the Broncos, we don't need to see any of that nonsense)...

2:36 - This might be my favorite throw of this highlight video. Again, you see how despite being under pressure, Brady won't have any of this "panic and throw off the back foot" stuff. He sets his feet and opens his hips - yes, he takes a hit by doing that, but it ensures the ball is accurately thrown. Touchdown.

Unfortunately, the rest of the video is mostly the same. That's because Brady's a freaking robot. He throws the same way pretty much every time (there is one throw where he throws off his back foot, but it's on a screen pass, which is pretty much the only time you can get away with that sort of thing, since the ball doesn't have to go very far and there's very little chance of it being intercepted or knocked down). Somewhere in there is another throw that isn't very good, but it shows that even the very best in the business aren't perfect every time. Good footwork takes a TON of hard work and effort.

Note I haven't even talked about his release. His release is also good, but we're ignoring that - it's about footwork today. No wasted motion with his feet, everything is very efficient, and when he throws, he sets his feet, distributes the weight to his front foot, and opens his hips.

Now let's look at the bad (Vince Young):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVcOzpAYbMw

Starting with the first dropback, you see that he doesn't really drop back cleanly. There's no precise cross step, and he just kind of hops backwards, and there's wasted motion. Okay, so maybe it was a called QB draw. Let's look at some passing plays.

0:18 - The first step in the dropback seems to be a little choppy, but otherwise it looks pretty good until you get him throwing the ball. Feet's set, but he doesn't really step into the throw or distribute the weight properly, and those hips don't move at all.

0:40 - Same thing. Choppy dropback, and he doesn't step into the throw. Hips stay closed.

0:51 - Good dropback, but he consistently doesn't distribute the weight to his front foot, doesn't step into the throw, and those hips are really stiff.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Vince Young has had five years to work on this. Hopefully you can see the contrast between Tom Brady's precise mechanics and Vince Young's sloppy mechanics.

Now...Tim Tebow.

Let's start with preseason Tebow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpS50GBFDpg

0:20 - As you can see, the dropback is very very choppy, and when he throws, his feet aren't set, his weight isn't distributed correctly, and his hips are wrong.

0:30 - Another choppy dropback, and he's throwing off his back foot. It is a short dumpoff throw, so the backfoot thing is forgivable.

0:40 - Nice work! Good dropback, steps into the throw, sets his feet, hips open.

0:52 - I think he had time to set his feet and step into the throw if he had done so. The defender wasn't so close that he didn't have time, so his weight distribution is a little wild.

1:26 - Yikes. He just kind of let his feet wander all over the place on that one. Feet weren't set, and the throw could have easily been intercepted. On the replay, look at that release. Jumping forward like that is...unorthodox, to say the least.

1:42 - Good throw, good hips, good feet.

1:50 - Throwing off the back foot like that is a great way to get intercepted.

And so on.

So that's preseason Tebow. When I saw this in the preseason, I wasn't surprised. He had major footwork issues at Florida, and everyone expected that. We knew what we were getting. These things can take years to correct, so it's going to be a process.

Now let's fast forward to the regular season, particularly his game against the Texans, since we got to see more what he could do in that game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZnmQ6tApHo

0:43 - Didn't have time to set his feet, but he did get his weight on his front foot and he opened those hips up.

1:05 - Dropback is so much less choppy than his preseason ones, hops, sets his feet, steps into the throw nicely, weight is on the front foot, opens those hips up, and sets up a 47 yard gain.

1:49 - Again, look at how much more fluid his dropback is. Not a lot of wasted motion, and the throwing mechanics (feet set, weight, hips) are spot on, which we didn't really see much of during the preseason.

1:57 - I didn't like the decision to make this throw, but the mechanics aren't to blame here. The ball could have been easily intercepted, but that's not because the pass was inaccurate; he probably shouldn't have attempted the pass in the first place.

2:20 - Look at the way he is flushed out of the pocket, then sets his feet before releasing the ball where I think preseason Tebow wouldn't have taken that extra quarter second to ensure his body and his feet were in place to make a nice, accurate throw.

2:35 - Off the back foot, but it's a screen.

3:05 - My favorite Tebow dropback of the day. Not because of his footwork (although no complaints here - doesn't it look so much better than Vince Young or preseason Tebow?), but because of the decision to correctly throw the short pass. Very very nice.

3:15 - Uggghg. I'm glad it was a completion and for a first down, but that's not a shining example of what you want to do there. Throws off his back foot on a downfield throw (or anything that's not a dumpoff or screen), which is asking for trouble.

But overall, his footwork is much, much improved over his college or preseason days, and the degree of improvement is really not something you see over such a short period of time. It's not a natural thing to relearn how to use your feet, hips, arm, and it requires a ton of work. That's why guys like Kordell Stewart and Vince Young never reached their potential, and what I think is holding Jay Cutler back from being on the same level as Brady or Manning.

Footwork is the single most important thing when it comes to accuratlely throwing the football. There are other factors like decision-making, but if you want to throw the football to X spot, you have to have good footwork. No elite NFL passer has ever had poor footwork. It doesn't happen, ever.

Tebow's footwork isn't perfect, and it still requires a lot of work. I also intentionally avoided all discussion of his arm release, because that's a different issue (and one that's not that important compared to footwork). But the fact that he's been able to come so far in such a short period of time is remarkable. He's already moved ahead of Vince Young, who's had five years to correct his issues. I've just never seen anyone improve so much in such a short period of time. This is unprecedented as far as I know.

I was skeptical of the Tebow pick because I didn't think he could make such huge strides so quickly. Seeing his play the last two weeks leaves me with little reason to believe that he won't be highly successful in the NFL. You want a reason to get excited? This is why. He's doing absolutely everything right right now in terms of giving himself the best chance to succeed.

I initially was going to have the good (Brady), the bad (Vince Young), and the ugly (JaMarcus Russell), but I can't find enough examples of Russell on youtube to put together a good example of why he was so bloody awful. so instead, we get the good, the bad, and the Tebow.

elsid13
12-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Nice post. Tebow is going to need to ensure he has stable base under him, if he wants to be successful in the NFL. He doesn't have the arm strength to make the throws off his back foot like some can go in the league but with stable base he will be able to drive the ball to where it needs to go.

lgenf
12-29-2010, 09:08 AM
let's hope the new staff has a really good QB coach (which I am hoping is something that will happen with Elway's new influence/advising)

You know it is much different to play a certain way and teach that way to others, not everyone that is/was a great player is capable of passing on that information.

Marino had a similar position in Miami after he retired, he wanted Ben Rapesaberger and was told no way, and he politely left the organization after he realized he was there as a figurehead only, so I sure hope John has better success with the Broncos then Marino did with his former team.

I am glad to see TT progress soooooo much in such a short time, but again this may have been due to McD's influence or coaching staff (at least the positions coaching)

Dreadnought
12-29-2010, 09:13 AM
Excellent well written post. The lesson, and a hopeful one, is that Tebow clearly is teachable and will put in the work. I'm not surprised with the work ethic, but the speed with which he is improving is very heartening.

He'll have bad games his next season. he may unravel some the neext time he faces a real (i.e. not the Texans) defense. Thats OK, as long as the overall trend is good.

tripleoption
12-29-2010, 09:17 AM
zbeg, you did a lot of work to put together a post...good job!

gator_fan
12-29-2010, 09:22 AM
He'll have bad games his next season. he may unravel some the neext time he faces a real (i.e. not the Texans) defense. Thats OK, as long as the overall trend is good.
Indeed. That's why I am so looking forward to Sunday's game. Turning another page in the book of Tebow and seeing whether it is a short story or novel.

I'll also be paying attention to if the broncos come out playing like they intend to win it.

gator_fan
12-29-2010, 09:23 AM
zbeg, you did a lot of work to put together a post...good job!

Ditto! Serious post, analysis and effort putting it together.

Clipworthy
12-29-2010, 10:07 AM
If tebow can beat the chargers....after years of getting abused....it's a successful season :popcorn:

cuzz4169
12-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Are you a coach? Are you a scout or a player? or did you take tidbits from others and posted your own. Just asking...I read to many post about people breaking down mechanics, strategies, 4-3 defense a 3-4 defense or anything relating to the game. These fans either have no clue or bc they played high school football think they know or take what they hear from others and bring it to here. Opinions are different.

If your a coach or a scout you understand every player is different mechanic wise. Bc Tom Brady does it the way he does, doesn't mean Jay Cutler does it the same. There are plenty of QBs in the NFL who don't have perfect mechanics and are great...there are plenty of QBs who have robotic mechanics and suck. Talent out ways mechanics any day. If anyone wants to watch college football clinics ask me maybe I'll upload videos for ya.

robert ethan
12-29-2010, 02:37 PM
You can take any QB and find 10 examples of "good footwork" and 10 examples of "horrible footwork". Iirc, Brady had a 60% completion ratio in college, 33% his first year in the NFL, and around 60% his second year as a full time starter. Tebow has been much more accurate to the same point in his career.

Edit: Brady's college completion rate was 62, his career NFL rate is 63.4. Tebow completed 67% in college I think.

cuzz4169
12-29-2010, 02:41 PM
By the way I'm not here knocking your post...good work on post but I don't think your a coach or scout bc your terms would be different and you left out stuff. Good Opinion though.

EMB6903
12-29-2010, 04:50 PM
By the way I'm not here knocking your post...good work on post but I don't think your a coach or scout bc your terms would be different and you left out stuff. Good Opinion though.

:::::shaking head:::::

Day1BroncoFan
12-29-2010, 04:52 PM
It looks right now like Tebow fits in Denver. :elefant:

zbeg
12-29-2010, 07:18 PM
If your a coach or a scout you understand every player is different mechanic wise. Bc Tom Brady does it the way he does, doesn't mean Jay Cutler does it the same. There are plenty of QBs in the NFL who don't have perfect mechanics and are great...there are plenty of QBs who have robotic mechanics and suck.

Let's just say I'm a student of the game and leave it at that.

That said, I don't think anyone's ever claimed that mechanics are the sole factor in success as a quarterback. Merely that if you want to throw the ball accurately, sound mechanics are going to ensure the highest chance of the ball reaching its target. I don't think that's really much of a point of debate.

However, I defy you to find an example of an elite (HOF-level) NFL passer from the last 30 years who had bad footwork. Good footwork alone is hardly going to be enough to turn you into an elite QB, but bad footwork will sink you. It's like one of those SAT questions:

All durdles are burdles.
Some burdles are gurdles.
Are all durdles gurdles?

Similarly,

Some players with good footwork are elite passers.
All elite passers have good footwork.
Are all players with good footwork elite passers?

Since mechanics are the component that most people cited as Tebow's biggest obstacle to becoming an elite NFL quarterback, I focused on mechanics, specifically footwork. Never did I claim that this is the sole factor for success - but other factors (size, speed, arm strength, leadership, ability to read defenses, decision-making) are either non-issues with Tebow, or don't show up nicely in a Youtube video montage.

cuzz4169
12-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Let's just say I'm a student of the game and leave it at that.

That said, I don't think anyone's ever claimed that mechanics are the sole factor in success as a quarterback. Merely that if you want to throw the ball accurately, sound mechanics are going to ensure the highest chance of the ball reaching its target. I don't think that's really much of a point of debate.

However, I defy you to find an example of an elite (HOF-level) NFL passer from the last 30 years who had bad footwork. Good footwork alone is hardly going to be enough to turn you into an elite QB, but bad footwork will sink you. It's like one of those SAT questions:

All durdles are burdles.
Some burdles are gurdles.
Are all durdles gurdles?

Similarly,

Some players with good footwork are elite passers.
All elite passers have good footwork.
Are all players with good footwork elite passers?

Since mechanics are the component that most people cited as Tebow's biggest obstacle to becoming an elite NFL quarterback, I focused on mechanics, specifically footwork. Never did I claim that this is the sole factor for success - but other factors (size, speed, arm strength, leadership, ability to read defenses, decision-making) are either non-issues with Tebow, or don't show up nicely in a Youtube video montage.

Well I agree all Qbs have to have the footwork but that is something all Qbs work on religiously...For people who don't know I will break it down...

3 step drop: your first step of your 3 step drop is for depth. your next 2 steps are for body control and to get your feet underneath you as you set up. Chin up front shoulder open hip slightly open. When a right handed Qb throws to left plant foot must be turned slightly so his hips come around. Hit and throw when back foot hits ball comes out pass routes are set for this drop. A qb will hitch step to his second or third read. Eyes, feet & throw everything works together eyes see second read feet set to second read and then hips are aligned to the target for the throw.

5 step drop: taught same way your first 3 steps are driving steps to separate from the center and last 2 steps to set up Eyes down field.

7 step drop: 5 good hard driving steps to get away from center last 2 to gather balance. Mostly in a 7 step drop you will hitch to gather momentum and power for your throw. 3 most important pieces and something all QB probably hear all the time are Eyes, feet & throw. Eyes and feet always need to work together. When going to your third read a QB most of the time will be moving Tebow has no problem with that.

All of this goes together I just broke down the drops. Now this is something that all QBs do you can not be a QB if you don't do this...But I have never seen a QB in the NFL who doesn't do this stuff. To say Tebows drops look like shit you have to know what his reads are to say that. Yes some QBs get lazy in there drops but they all know the correct way. Just to add my son is 12 and he's a QB he's been doing this since 9 so I'm sure QBs in the NFL have too.