PDA

View Full Version : I'm a little bummed...

SR
12-28-2010, 09:53 PM
...that Champ didn't make it to the Pro Bowl on reputation but Antonio Gates, who missed half the season, made it. Kinda peeves me.

BCJ
12-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Yeah, you have to wonder if it is all on being on the Broncos or he is losing a step. For me, it is that he is on a 4 win team. Dude is a gamer and I am disappointed.

BCJ
12-28-2010, 10:20 PM
...that Champ didn't make it to the Pro Bowl on reputation but Antonio Gates, who missed half the season, made it. Kinda peeves me.

Maybe the name is wrong on Logan Mankins but he made it and he had a hostile holdout with the Pats. Missed half the season! How does a guy get rewarded like that?

Denver Native (Carol)
12-28-2010, 10:22 PM

I'm with you - I don't understand it either :mad:

Dapper Dan
12-28-2010, 10:26 PM
I know he has played pretty good. But Mike Vick missed a lot of the season. If I'm not mistaken he received the second most votes. Too bad he's throw 5 picks in 4 games coming into tonight. And I stopped watching tonights game but he had a fumble and INT. Also 2 more dropped Ints from what I saw. Oh well. That's how it goes. I think Champ should have made it. The Pro Bowl is just becoming less fun/important.

Devilspawn
12-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Fans need to count for either 0% of the voting or for the alternates ONLY.

pnbronco
12-28-2010, 10:34 PM

I don't get it either......:tsk:

PAINTERDAVE
12-28-2010, 10:41 PM
No respect.....
Denver Broncos get no respect.
Add in this dumpster fire McD left us in...
well...
no respect.

Funny that Tebow comes here...
'cause he gets no respect from the elite media either...
(just from us everyday fans)

Now we got a team led by the most disrespected QB in the league.

Ya gotta love it.

BroncoBJ
12-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Gates had the 2nd most TD's in the AFC and has the most yards out of every TE in the AFC this year. And if he wasn't hurt, he probably would have gotten a lot more TDs/yards/catches.

What about the year where Champ was hurt and missed some time and still made the probowl? Its a popularity contest lol. I'm fine with him not making it this year. It makes up for the times that hes made it when he didn't deserve it.

Buff
12-28-2010, 11:13 PM
I think this is backlash for getting in last year when he didn't necessarily deserve it. And the Broncos being so bad. But he's more deserving this year than last IMO.

tripleoption
12-28-2010, 11:16 PM
I guess this is what goes with being 4-11. As they say to the winner (winners?) goes the spoils.

TiminatorTebow
12-28-2010, 11:22 PM
What does Champ have like 2 INT's??? He had the one GREAT game against kc that resulted in a loss by the way. I wish he would've made it on his rep but the truth is he is part of a group on defense that has allowed the most points in the league.

sneakers
12-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Dont be sad...he will make it because only 45% of those selected ultimately play in the game.

Jake Klug
12-28-2010, 11:29 PM
What does Champ have like 2 INT's??? He had the one GREAT game against kc that resulted in a loss by the way. I wish he would've made it on his rep but the truth is he is part of a group on defense that has allowed the most points in the league.

Theres a lot of truth in this but be prepared to catch a lot of flack.

I Eat Staples
12-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Pro bowl voting has always been messed up but I think neither Champ nor Gates should have made it.

Dapper Dan
12-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Does anyone have the thrown to stat compared to catches allowed?

Denver Native (Carol)
12-28-2010, 11:33 PM

The NFL Pro Bowl isn’t a perfect science. I get that. We all should. Most of these players are voted in before the season even starts, and there are fans that treat this like a popularity contest. Even when I was playing in this league, there were always a couple of names that caused us to roll our eyes in the locker room.

That is why I didn’t put much stock in the final AFC and NFC Pro Bowl rosters that were announced this evening. Well, minus two names that didn’t show up on the list: Champ Bailey and Aaron Rodgers.

With Bailey, isn’t it obvious? Turn on the tape and watch him play. No disrespect to the Patriots’ Devin McCourty—a cornerback who has made some big plays (6 INTs) this season. But I’m not going to buy the idea that a rookie can go to the Pro Bowl over one of most dominant players at the position. A player we put in the discussion with the Jets’ Darrelle Revis and Nnamdi Asomugha. Yes, Champ played on a team that didn’t win in 2010 or play many primetime games, and that always hurts at the ballot box. But go back to the game when the Broncos’ CB matched up with Kansas City WR Dwayne Bowe (who is going to the Pro Bowl). No doubt Champ can still play after he shut him down.

Bottom line in this discussion: don’t make it about stats and numbers. This should be a vote decided by the impact the players have on Sunday when we sit down to watch the games. I’m sure there are even more opinions that will come out throughout the night and into tomorrow when these rosters are broken down even more. But I am sticking with Champ Bailey and Aaron Rodgers. These two guys can play, and from what I saw this season, both should be making plans for a nice little trip to the islands soon.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Two-big-Pro-Bowl-snubs.html

KCL
12-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Maybe it depends on the teams records...last season I don't believe one Chief made it to the pro bowl...I don't know how many here watch it...I don't.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Does anyone have the thrown to stat compared to catches allowed?

I found the following:

"And I will say, if you're talking straight man-to-man, no safety help, you don't see that anymore in this league because of the rules," Broncos defensive coordinator Don Martindale said. "But we've played it with Champ and if people want to see what it is, what it means to really be a shutdown corner in this league, look at Champ, draw it up, because he's it."

The numbers don't lie. With Bailey in front of them virtually on every snap, the Colts' Reggie Wayne, the Ravens' Anquan Boldin, the Chiefs' Dwayne Bowe and the Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald have had just one more catch combined (11) in those four games than career Pro Bowl selections for the four (10). And none of the four had a touchdown.

Bailey held Boldin to just one catch and, even with a rule book that leans decidedly toward receivers and quarterbacks, Bailey pitched a shutout of Bowe in Kansas City.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16940369

Dzone
12-29-2010, 02:39 AM
Champ got robbed.

Wasnt sure how much Ryan Clady had dropped off this year. At one time He was considered the best OT in the NFL. How was the season for Clady?

dogfish
12-29-2010, 03:12 AM
**** the pro bowl-- **** it right in the ass. . .

zbeg
12-29-2010, 04:24 AM
Champ got robbed.

Wasnt sure how much Ryan Clady had dropped off this year. At one time He was considered the best OT in the NFL. How was the season for Clady?

It's probably a combination of factors. The injury was a pretty serious one, and it's reasonable to think that he wouldn't hit full-strength. Also, when he gave up just half a sack his rookie year, it was still under Shanahan and the zone blocking scheme. With the switch to the power blocking, I don't think he's been as effective. He was still very good last year, being named to the first team all-pro team, but he did give up eight sacks last season.

This year, he hasn't looked nearly as dominant, and that was evident in week one against Jacksonville, when he surrendered 2.5 just after one game. I would guess it's a combination of scheme and injury that's caused him to not be as effective this year. Whatever the reason, he's only merely "very good" and not "the best in the league."

Denver Native (Carol)
12-29-2010, 12:53 PM
As a side note - Hillis also did not make it - that is ALSO ridiculous. Something needs to be done in the way players are selected, or this whole pro bowl thing will CONTINUE to be the joke it is right now.

Northman
12-29-2010, 01:05 PM
I dont even watch the pro bowl anymore.

LordTrychon
12-29-2010, 01:14 PM
As a side note - Hillis also did not make it - that is ALSO ridiculous. Something needs to be done in the way players are selected, or this whole pro bowl thing will CONTINUE to be the joke it is right now.

Well, QB, RB and WR are hard to get in... just because there's a lot of good players at those positions. I'd have to go check... but I think Chris Johnson also didn't make it... and probably a few other good ones. Hillis had a good year, and a break out year... but he's not top-3 in the conference.

MileHiWildcat
12-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Even with all the missed games - Gates was above and beyond the best TE in the game this year.

Poet
12-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Statistically Gates was still one of the best tight ends in football. He got ten TD's, 50 catches and 780 yards. That's top five for tight ends in the AFC. He earned it.

Champ made it in a few years back when he only played in 9 games, it's not like he hasn't benefited from his reputation in the past.

BeefStew25
12-29-2010, 02:13 PM
I would hold this over Champ's head when trying to re-sign him. Maybe knock off a couple hundred thousand.

BORDERLINE
12-29-2010, 05:54 PM
I dont even watch the pro bowl anymore.

man, don't lie...we fans watch at least the first couple of drives....especially if it's after the superbowl becouse we know that will be the last football we see till august....

same reason i tune in for the hall of fame game becouse i haven't seen football for so long...altough i change it by the end of the first I still take a peep.

You know I remember missing the last pro-bowl Elway was selected to....the one where he scored on the first drive and called it a carrer....I din't think he was gonna play and when I saw it on ESPN i was kickin myself

Ravage!!!
12-29-2010, 05:59 PM
its always been a popularity contest, and I've never watched an entire game. Last ten years, I didn't even turn the game on. Its not a fun game, doesn't say anything, mean anything, stand for anything.. the players don't even try when playing in the pro-bowl.

But teams that finish as badly as we have, will never have many pro-bowlers.

BroncoStud
12-29-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm sure Brett Favre got plenty of votes this year. No doubt in my mind.

topscribe
12-29-2010, 06:15 PM

Um . . . don't Revis and Asomugha each have 0 receptions this year?

So what are they doing there, then?

-----

zbeg
12-29-2010, 07:35 PM
You know I remember missing the last pro-bowl Elway was selected to....the one where he scored on the first drive and called it a carrer....I din't think he was gonna play and when I saw it on ESPN i was kickin myself

That was the last pro-bowl I watched. You also missed the bonus play of Ed McCaffrey running down Deion Sanders from behind on an interception. :-)