PDA

View Full Version : Paige: Broncos' candidate list offers big names

Denver Native (Carol)
12-28-2010, 11:22 AM
In this very column, in the next few minutes, for the first time anywhere, you will read the name of the Broncos' next head coach.

You also will read the name of the next general manager and, as a bonus, the names of possible defensive and offensive coordinators.

Now that I have your attention . . .

No official coach's list exists, as I wrote for Monday's column, because Broncos owner Pat Bowlen and chief operating officer Joe Ellis are waiting until next week, when John Elway formally rejoins the franchise as a top executive.

Elway probably will be the team's vice president of football operations, with Brian Xanders, all smiles Sunday night after the Broncos' victory over the Texans, becoming the actual general manager — after serving in a subservient role to Josh McDaniels, who made practically all the football decisions. Xanders is well-respected in the organization.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16955095?source=rsssimplepiebroncos

BigDaddyBronco
12-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Throw enough shit against the wall and something will stick.

NightTrainLayne
12-28-2010, 11:46 AM
It's nothing more than coincidence, but as I was just now reading Woody's exhaustive list, I hit Bob Stoops name, just as the local sports radio here in OKC started discussing the question of whether Stoops might make the jump to the NFL with so many coaching vancancies open.

They didn't mention the Broncos on the radio here, but what many folks outside of the OU market don't realize is that the Broncos and OU have had a pretty cozy relationship over these past several years.

Bowlen is an OU graduate.

In either 2007 or 2008, Stoops brought his entire staff to Broncos training camp to see how Mike Shanahan ran things. Shanny visited OU practice once or twice. Bowlen is very close to Stoops, and inviting Stoops to visit Shanny's camp was probably more than just being a good booster.

The main thing going against Bowlen, if he's interested in Stoops is that Stoops has a dream job at OU, and has his pick of what players he wants. Plus Stoops' kids and wife love living in Norman. I'm not sure that anyone can get Stoops out of OU.

But it's an intriguing idea, and I have a feeling that if Stoops were game Bowlen really likes him. I'm not sure Stoops' game translates to the NFL. I'm not advocating that he's who we should hire. Just saying that his name in that list is very provocative when you know how close Bowlen is to the OU program.

Nomad
12-28-2010, 11:49 AM

It'll definitely stink!!:D

What's going to lure a solid GM/HC to Denver because the BRONCOS are a project and Bowlen is not going to be paying a big sum of cash to them!!

JaxBroncoGirl
12-28-2010, 11:54 AM
NighTrainLayne

I am with you on the Bob Stoops name on the list, I thought to myself has he stepped down or said anything about going anywhere? So I googled his name to make sure and the article was more about the coach in waiting than Stoops. I find that odd.

Lancane
12-28-2010, 01:00 PM
I have to agree with some, this is 'shit-throwing' at it's best. Everyone wants a hint to who will all be a part of the next regime. But talk about guesstimating! He has absolutely no clue, he hasn't deduced one fact beyond names being mentioned by others elsewhere.

Stoops was a name mentioned the last go-round, he was never even interviewed, he didn't even want the job. Now he'll want it when it's a far bigger mess to clean up? Yeah right. Just like some threw out Urban Meyer's name, though it ain't happening, people need to learn to read between the lines instead of believing all things the media says as gospel truth.

What's going to happen or likely to happen is that John Elway will be officially hired as the new Vice President of Football Operations or as I suggested, possibly named the Chief Executive Officer if Bowlen is willing to give up the title, either or makes him the top executive under Bowlen. It will probably be announced next Monday or Tuesday, but Elway will likely already have started his job officially, that is my opinion at least. We are going to see a hornet's nest of activity within the next week across the NFL, with current job openings in Minnesota, San Francisco, Denver, Carolina and Dallas, not to mention that Houston, Miami, San Diego, New York (G), Cleveland, Cincinnati and Tennessee might also be joining the ranks. Making this off-season a very active one for coaching and front office changes, let alone it's in the midst of the CBA issues which could lead to some big changes once a new one is put into place.

At this juncture, I expect Brian Xanders to be named the Director of Football Operations, not the General Manager. It makes him more of an executive then being a G.M., he'll have more say in that area and would be Elway's right hand man in dealing with the General Management Department which he'd basically be the head of. I know that's not what a lot of columnists or reporters are saying, but it's a gut instinct! I see Denver either re-hiring Rick Smith, Ted Sundquist or possibly John Beake to be the General Manager or even possibly promoting Keith Kidd who a lot of teams are interested in as a G.M. candidate to the position. I could be wrong though, it just makes sense with how jumbled the organization is right now.

This will not be a slow hire either, expect a head coach to be named long before the Super Bowl, with so many openings the candidate list that we've all continually heard will be buzzing like a swarm of pissed-off bees'.

Look for them to begin interviewing fast and furiously to beat out the others searching as well. Harbaugh who has emerged as a favorite for the media outlets and among a large number of fans is likely going to get an interview...but I don't see it happening, he'll be highly sought after by San Diego if they fire Norv Turner, San Francisco will be all over him IMHO and Oakland, Al Davis might just look to interview him without the intention of firing Tom Cable, just because everyone loves Harbaugh right now, which also effects what his salary will be…I don’t see it happening in all honesty. We’re not offering that sexy of a position, we’ve denied that we’re officially in a rebuilding mode for some time, we’ll have a new executive in charge of everything and a few others remaining that helped caused the disastrous state were in to begin with. In my honest opinion this will be a practical hiring, someone the fans can get behind and has a good football mind and outlook for the organization.

SR
12-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Lancane, your posts are simply too long to read.

Lancane
12-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Lancane, your posts are simply too long to read.

You know I do it just infuriate others Red! :D

Basically, I'm saying that he's shooting for straws and is coming up with toothpicks and they're cracked and splintered as well. This will not be a sexy hire like so many hope for, instead it will be very practical when all is said and done.

SR
12-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Truth be told, I wouldn't mind seeing Studesville as our coach. Yeah, he's a McDaniels pickup, but all of the player comments I've read about him are pretty encouraging. Let him coach, bring in some good coordinators who know what they're doing, and with a good front office I think this team can succeed.

Lancane
12-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Truth be told, I wouldn't mind seeing Studesville as our coach. Yeah, he's a McDaniels pickup, but all of the player comments I've read about him are pretty encouraging. Let him coach, bring in some good coordinators who know what they're doing, and with a good front office I think this team can succeed.

Studesville may end up one of the favorites, I've said that for some time now...but, a lot will depend on who he wants for his staff, because we'll not likely retain McCoy or Martindale after the season.

I'd be fine if we say hired Greg Knapp as the OC and say Keith Butler as the DC.

UnderArmour
12-28-2010, 01:24 PM

Studesville is a cool dude and maybe he'll be back on as the RBs coach next year, but not as Head coach. I'm thinking that we will hire either Rick Dennison or Ron Rivera as our next head coach but give strong consideration to Kubiak and possibly Mike Mularkey, John Fox, or Marvin Lewis. However, I think this will be a quick hire so Mularkey would have to impress a lot to get the call. I think Lewis goes back to the Bengals and Fox will get the job in New York if the Giants fire Coughlin.

dogfish
12-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Studesville may end up one of the favorites, I've said that for some time now...but, a lot will depend on who he wants for his staff, because we'll not likely retain McCoy or Martindale after the season.

I'd be fine if we say hired Greg Knapp as the OC and say Keith Butler as the DC.

head coach - eric studesville
offensive coordinator - ron turner
defensive coordinator - jim bates

Lancane
12-28-2010, 01:38 PM

I like Turner, he'd be a gutsy choice though because he's failed more then succeeded, but Greg Knapp worked with Vick and Young so he understands the difference of left-handed quarterbacks in the NFL and how to set them up to succeed at this level. As for Bates? I have to ask if you're feeling sick Dog? I wouldn't want Bates as the bus driver for this team, he has this affinity to crash and burn! Butler at least is a respected candidate to be a DC, hell...I'd be surprised if a UFL team would hire Bates right now!

:lol:

UnderArmour
12-28-2010, 01:42 PM
I like Turner, he'd be a gutsy choice though because he's failed more then succeeded, but Greg Knapp worked with Vick and Young so he understands the difference of left-handed quarterbacks in the NFL and how to set them up to succeed at this level. As for Bates? I have to ask if you're feeling sick Dog? I wouldn't want Bates as the bus driver for this team, he has this affinity to crash and burn! Butler at least is a respected candidate to be a DC, hell...I'd be surprised if a UFL team would hire Bates right now!

...His post was a joke dude.

Lancane
12-28-2010, 01:50 PM
...His post was a joke dude.

I already knew that...thanks.

BroncoStud
12-28-2010, 01:55 PM
There are people who actually want Eric Studesville to our next HC???!!!!???

Is it April's Fools already? Lord, PLEASE don't let this happen...

BroncoStud
12-28-2010, 01:57 PM

Turner sucked in Chicago, he was horrible. The game has passed Jim Bates by, talk about selling ourselves short... Eric Studesville wasn't even a good position coach, how in the hell will he make a good HC? He can't even formulate a good sentence in press conferences...

Lancane
12-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Turner sucked in Chicago, he was horrible. The game has passed Jim Bates by, talk about selling ourselves short... Eric Studesville wasn't even a good position coach, how in the hell will he make a good HC? He can't even formulate a good sentence in press conferences...

BS, Dog was being a smartass like usual. No one really thinks that Studesville is the next head coach. :lol:

;)

Nomad
12-28-2010, 02:02 PM
BS, Dog was being a smartass like usual. No one really thinks that Studesville is the next head coach. :lol:

;)

Being the weather has been so nice in Denver, we all know Dove Valley has already painted Kubiak's parking spot and it's ready for his arrival in 2 weeks!! Hell, the Texan fans have organized a lynch mob to get him out of town!!

PAINTERDAVE
12-28-2010, 02:03 PM
It'll definitely stink!!:D

What's going to lure a solid GM/HC to Denver because the BRONCOS are a project and Bowlen is not going to be paying a big sum of cash to them!!

They are NOT going to hire a GM.

Elway/Xanders/Ellis

how many times will you read these words before it sinks in?

Elway/Elllis/Xanders.

I dont like it either... but acceptance is key to happiness.

They are giving us Xanders.

PAINTERDAVE
12-28-2010, 02:05 PM
You know I do it just infuriate others Red! :D

Basically, I'm saying that he's shooting for straws and is coming up with toothpicks and they're cracked and splintered as well. This will not be a sexy hire like so many hope for, instead it will be very practical when all is said and done.

I would be THRILLED if they brought in Sundquist or Beake...

instead of saddling us with Xanders alone.

Nomad
12-28-2010, 02:10 PM
I would be THRILLED if they brought in Sundquist or Beake...instead of saddling us with Xanders alone.

Get over it Fumes.....Xanders is the GM......:tsk:when will it sink in!! Take your own advice PainterBoy!!

Lancane
12-28-2010, 02:16 PM
I would be THRILLED if they brought in Sundquist or Beake...

instead of saddling us with Xanders alone.

We'll know in about a week maybe two at the most what they've decided...but I really would prefer to have Xanders as the Director of Football Operations and hire someone else as the G.M., you know what they say - "Three heads are better then one", since Ellis and Bowlen don't count we'll have only two, thus we need a third!

Elevation inc
12-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Sounds like we will have

VP- Elway
GM- Xanders
Asst GM- Some upincomer to learn the ropes
Im also really starting to think we will see dennison at HC and kubes as OC, not sure i like that, but my gut tells me so....HAHAHAHA

Tned
12-28-2010, 03:11 PM

Listening to 104.3 and one of the hosts just said, "Woody Paige named 437 possible candidates for the various coaching openings" or something like that. It would be funny if with that big list, that he didn't hit on any.

Lancane
12-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Sounds like we will have

VP- Elway
GM- Xanders
Asst GM- Some upincomer to learn the ropes
Im also really starting to think we will see dennison at HC and kubes as OC, not sure i like that, but my gut tells me so....HAHAHAHA

Maybe Keith Kidd, he'd be a great Assistant G.M., as far as a Dennison HC and Kubiak as the OC tandem, I really am not sure how the hell I feel about that. I sort of hope Dallas hires Kubiak as the OC there and it keeps him away from Denver or the Texans decide to just say screw it and keep him for one more season, you know? I wouldn't mind if Dennison was hired as the head coach, I'd prefer Ron Rivera or Jason Garrett, but it's looking more and more like Garrett will get the nod in Dallas or will be a hot commodity thus a high price tag for whomever does decide to hire him.

Elevation inc
12-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Maybe Keith Kidd, he'd be a great Assistant G.M., as far as a Dennison HC and Kubiak as the OC tandem, I really am not sure how the hell I feel about that. I sort of hope Dallas hires Kubiak as the OC there and it keeps him away from Denver or the Texans decide to just say screw it and keep him for one more season, you know? I wouldn't mind if Dennison was hired as the head coach, I'd prefer Ron Rivera or Jason Garrett, but it's looking more and more like Garrett will get the nod in Dallas or will be a hot commodity thus a high price tag for whomever does decide to hire him.

or sure.....kieth kidd...good call there....that coudl actually work well if they went that route perhaps.....as for dennison i like him always liked him, wanted him after shanny was fired he knows all facets of teh game including defense....not sure i'm a fan of kubiak as OC either, it just feels like thats what will happen, pretty sure garret and Frazier will be locked up by there teams, but you never know....i really dont want gruden, cowher, fisher or billick any where near denver...but who knows

robert ethan
12-28-2010, 03:52 PM
I think the original plan was the Stanford connection. That Elway talked to Harbaugh some time back and he was interested, particularly if the Bronco's could bring in his QB Luck at the same time. So Bowlen and Ellis fired Josh and hired the least effective guy on the staff (RB coach Studesville) in order to keep the team in tailspin straight to the bottom of the standings. Or at least close enough to the bottom that they could package their first round pick and Tebow or Orton in order to draft Luck. But Orton's injury and Tebow's performance (along with an unexpected win) may have thrown a bit of a spanner in the plans. Luck and Harbaugh look less likely now, and may end up as a duo in Carolina instead. But the Broncos will be better off with Tebow in any case and whoever ends up as the coach. It just means that Josh McDaniels was sacrificed for nothing. But, hey, it's Bowlen's money to waste as he wants to.

BroncoStud
12-28-2010, 03:52 PM

;)

Oh thank goodness. I was getting worried... :salute:

BroncoStud
12-28-2010, 03:55 PM
I think the original plan was the Stanford connection. That Elway talked to Harbaugh some time back and he was interested, particularly if the Bronco's could bring in his QB Luck at the same time. So Bowlen and Ellis fired Josh and hired the least effective guy on the staff (RB coach Studesville) in order to keep the team in tailspin straight to the bottom of the standings. Or at least close enough to the bottom that they could package their first round pick and Tebow or Orton in order to draft Luck. But Orton's injury and Tebow's performance (along with an unexpected win) may have thrown a bit of a spanner in the plans. Luck and Harbaugh look less likely now, and may end up as a duo in Carolina instead. But the Broncos will be better off with Tebow in any case and whoever ends up as the coach. It just means that Josh McDaniels was sacrificed for nothing. But, hey, it's Bowlen's money to waste as he wants to.

McDaniels was no sacrifice. He should have been fired the second he tried to trade Jay Cutler. It's better to cut your losses before the ship sinks than ride it to the bottom of the ocean, and the Broncos are damn near the bottom already.

Tned
12-28-2010, 04:05 PM

Do you have any links or other basis for this 'theory' of yours, or did you just have a vivid dream after drinking too much?

Lancane
12-28-2010, 04:16 PM
or sure.....kieth kidd...good call there....that coudl actually work well if they went that route perhaps.....as for dennison i like him always liked him, wanted him after shanny was fired he knows all facets of teh game including defense....not sure i'm a fan of kubiak as OC either, it just feels like thats what will happen, pretty sure garret and Frazier will be locked up by there teams, but you never know....i really dont want gruden, cowher, fisher or billick any where near denver...but who knows

Keith Kidd just makes sense, he's been mentioned as a possible up and coming G.M. candidate for several teams. And I can understand how you feel about Gruden, Cowher, Fisher and Billick, of those mentioned only Gruden intrigues me and I don't believe we would give him want he wants, from full control to the pay he is seeking. The only two former head coaches I'd be interested in is either Mariucci or Fassel to be quite honest.

Right now though I am leaning towards Ron Rivera as my favorite for the position. He'd likely keep Martindale as the Defensive Coordinator because they know each other, but he'd run the defense pretty much, so less changes on the defensive side of the ball. Problem is he'll need a strong offensive coordinator, McCoy is not the person for the job. Maybe Greg Knapp or Charlie Joiner, or maybe Jimmy Robinson.

Lancane
12-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Do you have any links or other basis for this 'theory' of yours, or did you just have a vivid dream after drinking too much?

It was Colonel Mustard in the Observatory with the candlestick! :lol:

DenBronx
12-28-2010, 04:20 PM
There's a segment coming up on Around The League on NFL Network about the Broncos GM search. I'll try and post what was said in a few minutes.

DenBronx
12-28-2010, 04:39 PM
There's a segment coming up on Around The League on NFL Network about the Broncos GM search. I'll try and post what was said in a few minutes.

They briefly talked about the Niners GM/HC search. Saying, they would only go after A tier list candidates for both positions. Charley Casserly, Ted Sunquist, Jon Gruden ect.

Then they talked about the Broncos. Said that Elway is not only coming back but coming back with a BANG and that his role will be prominant. Elway will have a voice that will settle the ties between the coaches and football side. Kubiak will be strongly considered as HC and Xanders will likely stay to handle the contracts because Elway doesn't know this side of football operations.

So it will be an Elway/Xanders team, with Kubiak possibly as the HC.

Also, they talked about John Fox moving on from Carolina and they will look at Ron Rivera from the Chargers and Jim Harbaugh.

Lonestar
12-28-2010, 05:39 PM
They are NOT going to hire a GM.

Elway/Xanders/Ellis

how many times will you read these words before it sinks in?

Elway/Elllis/Xanders.

I dont like it either... but acceptance is key to happiness.

They are giving us Xanders.

Word. :salute:
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lonestar
12-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Listening to 104.3 and one of the hosts just said, "Woody Paige named 437 possible candidates for the various coaching openings" or something like that. It would be funny if with that big list, that he didn't hit on any.

Afterall he is a woody.

Lonestar
12-28-2010, 06:21 PM
They briefly talked about the Niners GM/HC search. Saying, they would only go after A tier list candidates for both positions. Charley Casserly, Ted Sunquist, Jon Gruden ect.

Then they talked about the Broncos. Said that Elway is not only coming back but coming back with a BANG and that his role will be prominant. Elway will have a voice that will settle the ties between the coaches and football side. Kubiak will be strongly considered as HC and Xanders will likely stay to handle the contracts because Elway doesn't know this side of football operations.

Also, they talked about John Fox moving on from Carolina and they will look at Ron Rivera from the Chargers and Jim Harbaugh.

No to Kubes as right now he is showing he can't manage a lot of talent to win consistently.

Might be a good OC but I'll pray not at HC.

Slick
12-28-2010, 06:31 PM

I saw that on my lunch break today.

If Carolina cuts Fox loose I hope he's on the official interview list. Head coach or DC.

robert ethan
12-28-2010, 07:32 PM

Bill Williamson alluded to it in a sideways fashion, recently. He spoke of Elway wanting Luck. There was a complete 180 in the front office on Josh, which coincided with Bowlen meeting with Elway.

Most here don't have a "Clue" :laugh: but if you start to fill in the dots it seems like a reasonable hypothesis.

Lancane
12-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Bill Williamson alluded to it in a sideways fashion, recently. He spoke of Elway wanting Luck. There was a complete 180 in the front office on Josh, which coincided with Bowlen meeting with Elway.

Most here don't have a "Clue" :laugh: but if you start to fill in the dots it seems like a reasonable hypothesis.

Yeah, we're the clueless ones', and why is that? Because your man-crush is not longer the head coach? Because almost everyone in the NFL thought he proved himself incompitent for such a role? So, Bowlen and Elway came up with this superious plan to dispose that worthless peice of horse heap as a coach and all in order for us to draft Luck #1 overall and hire J. Harbaugh as the head coach? Hmmm...do you jerk-off a little too often thinking of this crap? Seriously...

Bad news Ethan, we could still trade up and get Luck if we wanted to, all we'd have to do is trade our first this year, one of our seconds and maybe another next year, or this years first and next years. We're still in the position to do just that if need be. And Harbaugh is the leading candidate for several positions around the league, San Fran is huge on him and Carolina will likely give him a look. He may want Luck if he comes here, we'll see, but this was not some internal conspiracy to rid us of McDaniels that is just stupid beyond belief, yeah...let's try and rid ourselves of the numbnuts so we still owe him over 3 million a year. Some people's children!

Tned
12-28-2010, 08:05 PM

Yea, or you can just use common sense and realize the Broncos were something like 5-21 and the owner embarrassed about a McDaniels staff member filming another teams walk through, and McD trying to cover it up/sweep it under the rug. With plans to fire McDaniels, they started meeting with Elway.

Are you related to McDaniels? Seriously, what's your deal?

scott.475
12-28-2010, 10:03 PM
"Come the end of the season, Pat Bowlen and John Elway will get together, consider both head coaching and coordinator candidates from both the professional and college ranks, and then make their decision, ultimately hiring a head coach and coordinators"

Look at that! I'm a sports writer!

I could get more creative:

"An lo, Pat Bowlen looked upon his team and was angered by the destruction the beast had wrought. And lo, Pat Bowlen called upon his greatest general, he who wore the number 7. And to the general he said "Behold the destruction the beast hath wrought upon the land. I was deceived, but never shall I be deceived again!" And the general said "I shall deliver the land. Working as one, we shall look upon all the lands, both near and far, and from those lands, be they big or small, kingdoms or villages, we shall find the three. These three we shall entrust to deliver the team from the wilderness, and delivered from the wilderness we shall be!" And lo, a hush fell across the land, and the sky shown orange and blue. And all was settled in the land."

What a waste of print space this Paige article was.

scott.475
12-28-2010, 10:06 PM
but if you start to fill in the dots it seems like a reasonable hypothesis.

Wait, aren't dots already filled in? :confused:

HORSEPOWER 56
12-28-2010, 10:12 PM

Your mom wanted me to let you know that your internet privilege for the evening is suspended...

DenBronx
12-28-2010, 10:42 PM
No to Kubes as right now he is showing he can't manage a lot of talent to win consistently.

Might be a good OC but I'll pray not at HC.

I would only want Kubiak as an OC but not HC.

OrangeHoof
12-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Regarding Stoops, one of his contract extensions included a clause that pays him several million for every year he DOESN'T leave for another job. I don't know what about the Broncos would appeal to him other than the ego thing of being a head coach at the highest level. He should talk to Lou Holtz or Steve Spurrier about leaving for the NFL.

Lancane
12-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Regarding Stoops, one of his contract extensions included a clause that pays him several million for every year he DOESN'T leave for another job. I don't know what about the Broncos would appeal to him other than the ego thing of being a head coach at the highest level. He should talk to Lou Holtz or Steve Spurrier about leaving for the NFL.

They did this last time as well, because of Bowlen and Stoops friendship they kept throwing his name out there and he wasn't even interested in the job.