PDA

View Full Version : ESPN to ditch some 'MNF' gimmicks

omac
09-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Oh good!

While they're at it, Kornheiser should not be on tv. :confused: He does most of the stupid blabbing ....

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/08/espn-to-ditch-some-mnf-gimmicks/

SAUNDERS: ESPN to ditch some 'MNF' gimmicks
Dusty Saunders
Monday, September 8, 2008

What is this?

Television sports executives are a lot like politicians in an election year.

They often promise more than they can deliver.

That's why the short article in Friday's Rocky should have caught your attention.

Jay Rothman, senior coordinating producer of ESPN's Monday Night Football, was quoted as saying the network, based on results of offseason focus groups, will concentrate more on the games this season and less on broadcasting gimmicks.

"People tune in ESPN for a sporting event," Rothman said.

Really?

ESPN will attempt to practice what it preaches tonight during its season-opening doubleheader.

Among the changes:

* Missing are the regular sideline interviews (the often dull "you know . . . you know" comments) given to Michele Tafoya and Suzy Kolber by players and coaches.

The two women will work occasionally with booth broadcasters to sum up the games while being on reporting call if a major on-the-field injury occurs.

They'll also work on ESPN's lengthy pregame show.

* ESPN has eliminated the tiresome, irrelevant booth gabfests with publicity-seeking politicians and showbiz types.

Still to be determined: A third season meshing of Ron Jawor- ski, Mike Tirico and Tony Kornheiser, who'll be in Green Bay tonight, along with Tafoya.

During the first two seasons, the booth trio was accused, legitimately, of blabbing away on uninteresting topics while games were in progress.

Look for a higher profile for Jaworski. ESPN is billing him as "the new Madden."

Such a description is, of course, a plus or a minus, depending on how you feel about the NBC analyst.

The removal of Tafoya and Kolber from the sidelines has produced a minor controversy.

After the decision was announced, Andrea Kremer, NBC's sideline reporter who worked at the cable network 17 years, said: "ESPN treated the two professionals in a completely nonprofessional way."

Fox still uses Pam Oliver and Chris Myers on the sidelines - a decision Fox Sports Chairman David Hill calls "absolutely necessary because they provide up-to-the-minute information."

CBS eliminated sideline reporting two seasons ago.

MIKE TIME: With ESPN's first team in Green Bay, Broncos fans tonight will get a secondary trio that will compete for "mike" dominance - Mike Greenberg, Mike Golic and Mike Ditka. Kolber also will be in Oakland.

frauschieze
09-08-2008, 04:00 PM
I watch MNF on mute. The whole Broncos-Packers game last year made me sick. It would be a nice change if any of this pans out.

claymore
09-08-2008, 04:02 PM
I hate kornheiser. I would egg his house if I knew where it was.

claymore
09-08-2008, 04:03 PM
I watch MNF on mute. The whole Broncos-Packers game last year made me sick. It would be a nice change if any of this pans out.

I was so mad I actually wished a couple people would die on air. But I cant say who cause its insensitive.

GEM
09-08-2008, 04:05 PM
I was so mad I actually wished a couple people would die on air. But I cant say who cause its insensitive.

Deanna Favre. :coffee:

There, I'm the insensitive biatch. :D

claymore
09-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Deanna Favre. :coffee:

There, I'm the insensitive biatch. :D

Thanks. My wife almost thru a pot at me. Man was she mad.

Buff
09-08-2008, 04:08 PM
I think I'm one of the few people that actually likes the trio of Korn-hole, Tirico and Jaws... I think Jaws and Tirico provide enough insight that Tony's musings aren't overbearing.

Thank god they're cutting down on the sideline reporting & in-game guests. I can remember having to sit through a couple of possessions with Brett Favre's wife last year-- And she wasn't nearly as bad as some of the C-rate celebrities they had on-- (I'm looking at you Geena Davis)

I'll tell you after tonight how I feel about Mike, Mike & Mike.

BroncoJoe
09-08-2008, 04:10 PM

I have it. PM me for the info.

denbroncofan26
09-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Am I missing something?!? Why the hell is the monday night football countdown dominated by Tom Brady and the Patriots when they arent even playing?? I put up with this incessant Patriot loving broadcasts from ESPN last season because they were in pursuit of a perfect season and probably deserved the increase in coverage, but now they lost their starting QB and everybody knows it so JUST DROP IT! There are four other teams playing tonight that can be discussed at length, but no of course all they talk about is TOM BRADY!!! AHHHHHHH

Bronco9798
09-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Hopefully they will that that talk-show atmosphere away and make it a football program like it's suppose to be. About time!!!

NightTrainLayne
09-08-2008, 04:14 PM
They had an article on this in the Oklahoman on Saturday or Sunday.

I was so happy to see a change. Thank God they are finally realizing that football fans watch MNF, not quilting guilds.

MasterShake
09-08-2008, 04:15 PM
They should just pick two random fans (one from each team before the game) give them a keg and let them do the game. Some of the best commentary I've ever heard is from me and my friends drinking and watching. You can say "The Raiders are d***** bags of **** and their moms ***** the ****** with weed whackers." on t.v. right?

Northman
09-08-2008, 04:16 PM
I hate kornheiser. I would egg his house if I knew where it was.

I liked Kornheiser when he was here in DC on the radio but i hate him on MNF and his show with Wilbon.

NightTrainLayne
09-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks. My wife almost thru a pot at me. Man was she mad.

So, basically Deanna Favre is a homewrecker?

MasterShake
09-08-2008, 04:18 PM
I liked Kornheiser when he was here in DC on the radio but i hate him on MNF and his show with Wilbon.

Remember Dennis Miller? That was painful.

Northman
09-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Remember Dennis Miller? That was painful.

I knew sports commentary was getting out of control when Rush Limbaugh ended up on one of them. :lol:

MasterShake
09-08-2008, 04:20 PM
I knew sports commentary was getting out of control when Rush Limbaugh ended up on one of them. :lol:

Oh yeah, FOX NFL Sunday. He lasted what, 2 weeks?

Buff
09-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Oh yeah, FOX NFL Sunday. He lasted what, 2 weeks?

No, it was ESPN, and I don't know if he even made it that long-- Once he brought up Donovan McNabb's race, it was all over for him.

Kaylore
09-08-2008, 04:23 PM
This is great news. The moron celebrities in the booth, put there so Disney could pimp their new show or whatever, was especially aggravating. Also annoying were those stupid interviews on the sideline while the game was going on. People want to watch the game (duh). Putting in a bunch of crap that distracts from the point ruins it. And Kornhole can kiss off too.

MasterShake
09-08-2008, 04:24 PM
No, it was ESPN, and I don't know if he even made it that long-- Once he brought up Donovan McNabb's race, it was all over for him.

Oh yeah, ESPN Sunday Countdown. I knew it was a sunday show, and that Rush said something about McNabb.

NightTrainLayne
09-08-2008, 04:24 PM
I think I was the only person in the civilized world that liked Dennis Miller. He cracks me up.

girler
09-08-2008, 04:25 PM
I think I was the only person in the civilized world that liked Dennis Miller. He cracks me up.

I loved him.

Northman
09-08-2008, 04:26 PM

He is a funny guy, just not on MNF.

MasterShake
09-08-2008, 04:27 PM

He's funny, but not for football. For example:

Dennis Miller, "Wow, that punt return was lamer than FDR's legs"

Too political.

NightTrainLayne
09-08-2008, 04:29 PM
He's funny, but not for football. For example:

Dennis Miller, "Wow, that punt return was lamer than FDR's legs"

Too political.

See, I loved that stuff. Hilarious. Especially when he'd fire off the big multi-syllabic words and none of the other guys understood except Al Michaels.

Sotally Tober
09-08-2008, 04:32 PM
The Mikes huh? I like Ditka he's fearless and smart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsuvenvQ-6M&feature=related

BigDaddyBronco
09-08-2008, 04:35 PM
The Mikes huh? I like Ditka he's fearless and smart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsuvenvQ-6M&feature=related

That's bad... :tsk:

I would still rather watch him do that than sing at Wrigley...

56crash
09-08-2008, 05:27 PM
The cazy part about all of this is they could still have Lynn Swan?!?!

turftoad
09-08-2008, 05:59 PM
This is great news. The moron celebrities in the booth, put there so Disney could pimp their new show or whatever, was especially aggravating. Also annoying were those stupid interviews on the sideline while the game was going on. People want to watch the game (duh). Putting in a bunch of crap that distracts from the point ruins it. And Kornhole can kiss off too.

My feelings exactly.

BigSarge87
09-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Okay, I've been watching the pregame for the better part of two hours and I didn't see crap about the Denver game? What gives? Are they doing it at half time?

Timmy!
09-08-2008, 06:44 PM
About friggin time.

scott.475
09-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Geez, I cannot believe they kept Kornheiser...what civilized focus group would actually view him favorably? Where did they find these obviously flawed focus groups?

I like Tafoya just fine...HATE Kolber, the way she acts, looks, her voice...just nothing about her I like.

Sideline interviews...I hate them, and the little blurbs they get with the coaches going into and out of half-time. I can sum up everyone of those interviews in a couple phrases: "We just need to focus more on our execution", "We are happy with what we have done so far, we just need to maintain our intensity", "Losing (insert injured player's name here) hurts, but we just need to come together as a team, stay focused, and we should be fine"

So stupid, as if the coach is going to give specifics on what the game plan is: "Well, Suzy, we have noticed that (insert defensive player name here) is really winded and not able to recover between plays, so we are going to call 3 out of 4 of our running plays right around him. In our passing game, we are going to just establish our receivers on the short routes, then on 1st and 3rd downs we are going for the deep strike to Marshall. Actually, Suzy, just before the game I had my assistant make a copy of our playbook for you."

Hobe
09-08-2008, 07:36 PM
"People tune in ESPN for a sporting event," Rothman said.

He's a regular Norman Einstein! :rolleyes:

Here is a clue, it's about FOOTBALL! not comedians, not interviews, FOOTFALL!

So when are you getting rid of Cornhole?

Lonestar
09-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Geez, I cannot believe they kept Kornheiser...what civilized focus group would actually view him favorably? Where did they find these obviously flawed focus groups?

I like Tafoya just fine...HATE Kolber, the way she acts, looks, her voice...just nothing about her I like.

Sideline interviews...I hate them, and the little blurbs they get with the coaches going into and out of half-time. I can sum up everyone of those interviews in a couple phrases: "We just need to focus more on our execution", "We are happy with what we have done so far, we just need to maintain our intensity", "Losing (insert injured player's name here) hurts, but we just need to come together as a team, stay focused, and we should be fine"

So stupid, as if the coach is going to give specifics on what the game plan is: "Well, Suzy, we have noticed that (insert defensive player name here) is really winded and not able to recover between plays, so we are going to call 3 out of 4 of our running plays right around him. In our passing game, we are going to just establish our receivers on the short routes, then on 1st and 3rd downs we are going for the deep strike to Marshall. Actually, Suzy, just before the game I had my assistant make a copy of our playbook for you."

Outstanding post..

I do however like to hear more about the injured players from those on the sidelines..

You dead on about the coaches strategy what else is the moron going to say..

claymore
09-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Kornheiser is allot better tonight. I am still happy he isnt doing our game........ Way better. The in booth........ get women to watch the game shit.......... Wasnt his fault, but I blame him personally............. :D

omac
09-08-2008, 07:57 PM
I've been watching the GB game, and Kornheiser's still annoying.

lex
09-08-2008, 08:23 PM

He's popular with the jewish old men from the northeast demographic...the same demographic that often makes decisions at large networks.

scott.475
09-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Kornheiser just said "If you don't have much of a passing game, if all you have is a running game, it is much harder to win"...THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!!

Geez, listening to him is a whole new level of torture...just excruciating, and he says it as if he is the smartest guy in the room.

Sotally Tober
09-09-2008, 02:24 AM
Kornheiser is allot better tonight. I am still happy he isnt doing our game........ Way better. The in booth........ get women to watch the game shit.......... Wasnt his fault, but I blame him personally............. :D

Um...no! He used any excuse he could to say, "Brette Favre."
That pissed me off. Get on with it. Favre is gone. Stop comparing him to Rodgers and shut the **** up! Jawarski...now he's got it. The stuff he brings up is brilliant and he is super knowlegable, as in all around.
I know you watched the Bronco game. Mike golic tries not to contradict anything that is said but he has an unfailing to twitch to do so. It's funny. And Ditka had to stop kissing ****ler's ass. That was revolting. It's the Raiders. Everyone looks Superbowl bound when they play the Raiders.

Rex
09-09-2008, 07:48 AM
If I had to listen to the 3 idiot Mikes every week, I would rip the speakers from my television. What an absolute BRUTAL broadcast.

BroncoJoe
09-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Gotta tell you - I don't normally complain about the announcers, but good God. Those three were just awful. I would have sworn I was listening to a Raiders broadcast.

Rex
09-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Gotta tell you - I don't normally complain about the announcers, but good God. Those three were just awful. I would have sworn I was listening to a Raiders broadcast.

or a local high school broadcast.

BigDaddyBronco
09-09-2008, 09:05 AM
The camera angles were pretty annoying last night, as was the production job. Please, just show the damn game, and I thought FOX was bad. How many more games are on ESPN this year?

MileHighWrath
09-09-2008, 09:21 AM
The largest sports network in the world and all they could give us was mike x 3? That was ridiculously horrible.

How can ESPN make all those supposed changes to their MNF production and keep cornholer in the booth?

WTF is wrong with just two (2) guys? Tirico and Jaws would be a very good team, add cornholer and it's like nails against a chalk board.

Did ESPN hire a bunch of raiders execs or what?

Thnikkaman
09-09-2008, 10:24 AM
I think Mike Greenburg is a decent play by play guy.

But I agree that the way to go is Jaws and Turico. Jaws is unbiased, concise, and intelligent as a color guy, and Turico is easy enough to tune out.

Day1BroncoFan
09-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Mike Ditka looked like he was going to cry last night... the poor little raiders got beat up by the big bad Broncos. :laugh: