1 TD / 0 Interceptions

Using the NFL passing formula...

61.54 C% = 1.577
15 ypa = 3.000 but max allowed is 2.375
7.69% TD = 1.538
0% Int = 2.375

2nd half passer rating - 131.08

6 rushes 25 yards 1 TD
(that includes a 3 yard sack and a zero gain when he recovered his own fumble)
- didnt count kneel downs.

2nd Half Drives-

1- 3:00 minutes, 4 plays, 80 yards, TD, 0-0 on 3rd downs

2- 3:04 minutes, 7 plays, 71 yards, FG, 0-1 on 3rd downs

3- 6:23 minutes, 13 plays, 74 yards, TD, 2-2 on 3rd downs
(3rd and 9 .. 18 yard pass to Lloyd, 3rd and 14 .. 23 yard TD pass to Buckhalter)

4- 4:31 minutes, 14 plays, 76 yards, TD, 1-1 on 3rd downs
(3rd and 10 .. 22 yard pass to Buckhalter)

zbeg
12-28-2010, 06:14 AM
I'm a little surprised Bucky Brooks didn't talk about his mechanics at all, which seemed like it was the only thing people talked about before he was drafted.

To me, that's been the most impressive. His delivery still needs to be shortened up, but I don't think anyone expected that to be fixed right away. His footwork on the other hand has been much improved. It still needs more work - on the attempt to Royal that resulted in the PI and the rollout where he hits Lloyd between the safety and the corner, his footwork was sloppy. But on most of his other throws, his fundamentals have improved immensely in less than a year, and that's the biggest reason why he's been able to throw downfield with more accuracy than most people (myself included) thought he would be capable of doing in less than a year.

When Vince Young got to college, his coaches told him his footwork was sloppy, and his response was basically, "I was a stud in high school, and my way is my way - I'm Vince Young!" when he got to the NFL, it was more of the same. The coaches told him he needed to fix his fundamentals, and he didn't put the time into it.

Tebow's fundamentals at Florida were WORSE off than Vince Young's when VY got to the NFL. 15 weeks later, Tebow's footwork is already better than VY's footwork after five years. What does that say about Vince Young, and what does that say about Tebow's work ethic and willingness to learn?

I wasn't a big fan of the draft pick initially, but it's getting awfully hard to find scenarios where Tebow's not successful in the NFL that don't involve injury or grossly incompetent coaching. (And say what you will about McDaniels, but when it comes to QB development, the guy knows his stuff - just so we're clear on the "grossly incompetent coaching" bit.)

SOCALORADO.
12-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Stole this from another place...

Let's look at the entire second half...

8 for 13 - 195 yards - 61.54 % - 15 yards per attempt
1 TD / 0 Interceptions

Using the NFL passing formula...

61.54 C% = 1.577
15 ypa = 3.000 but max allowed is 2.375
7.69% TD = 1.538
0% Int = 2.375

2nd half passer rating - 131.08

6 rushes 25 yards 1 TD
(that includes a 3 yard sack and a zero gain when he recovered his own fumble)
- didnt count kneel downs.

2nd Half Drives-

1- 3:00 minutes, 4 plays, 80 yards, TD, 0-0 on 3rd downs

2- 3:04 minutes, 7 plays, 71 yards, FG, 0-1 on 3rd downs

3- 6:23 minutes, 13 plays, 74 yards, TD, 2-2 on 3rd downs
(3rd and 9 .. 18 yard pass to Lloyd, 3rd and 14 .. 23 yard TD pass to Buckhalter)

4- 4:31 minutes, 14 plays, 76 yards, TD, 1-1 on 3rd downs
(3rd and 10 .. 22 yard pass to Buckhalter)

Impressive.
His deep ball has always been accurate. Its the intermediate throws, and the outs that he had trouble with, but so far hes looked great throwing them, and even better on the run.

But its his ability to scramble and improvise that makes him that much better.
Hes fast as hell, but he also can linger back there in the pocket and stay elusive untill someone gets open.
He reminds me of
http://d3trabu2dfbdfb.cloudfront.net/4/6/465415_o.jpeg
http://gapcache.lingospot.com/2010/10/04/Tebows_Timeout_Football_NY177.large.jpg

Same build, same style of play, although i think TT is faster right now than what most of us remember about Steve, since he had slowed down a bit by the time he was a Raven. RIP/
Steve was a baller too.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-28-2010, 09:25 AM
I read another interesting tidbit of trivia last night. Who was the last Bronco QB to lead the team back from 17 points down to win? Orton? Nope. Cutler? Nope. Plummer? Nope. Griese? Nope. It was actually Gus Frerotte way back in 2001.

So, Tebow is the first Broncos QB to lead the team back from 17 points down and win since 2001. :salute:

I hope this guy is here for a long time leading this team to many more victories than defeats!

Juriga72
12-28-2010, 09:56 AM
I am excited for Tim's play this year... BUt... and a huge but.

Right now players seem to think that "I hve to tryout for the next coach, I better play hard". Is this a "false positive" for the end of year?d

IF Tim keeps this going next year after all the TC,OTA's...THE I will be all over it.

Of course it is pretty funny how a guy's second start is better than the qb who started all season long. I guess OTA'S and "getting reps with his recievers" isnt the end all after all....LMAO

TXBRONC
12-28-2010, 10:09 AM
I'm a little surprised Bucky Brooks didn't talk about his mechanics at all, which seemed like it was the only thing people talked about before he was drafted.

To me, that's been the most impressive. His delivery still needs to be shortened up, but I don't think anyone expected that to be fixed right away. His footwork on the other hand has been much improved. It still needs more work - on the attempt to Royal that resulted in the PI and the rollout where he hits Lloyd between the safety and the corner, his footwork was sloppy. But on most of his other throws, his fundamentals have improved immensely in less than a year, and that's the biggest reason why he's been able to throw downfield with more accuracy than most people (myself included) thought he would be capable of doing in less than a year.

When Vince Young got to college, his coaches told him his footwork was sloppy, and his response was basically, "I was a stud in high school, and my way is my way - I'm Vince Young!" when he got to the NFL, it was more of the same. The coaches told him he needed to fix his fundamentals, and he didn't put the time into it.

Tebow's fundamentals at Florida were WORSE off than Vince Young's when VY got to the NFL. 15 weeks later, Tebow's footwork is already better than VY's footwork after five years. What does that say about Vince Young, and what does that say about Tebow's work ethic and willingness to learn?

I wasn't a big fan of the draft pick initially, but it's getting awfully hard to find scenarios where Tebow's not successful in the NFL that don't involve injury or grossly incompetent coaching. (And say what you will about McDaniels, but when it comes to QB development, the guy knows his stuff - just so we're clear on the "grossly incompetent coaching" bit.)

Brooks did a write up last week on Tebow where he broke down his game against the Raiders and he didn't mention it that article either. Maybe Brooks doesn't put much stalk in the criticism over Tebow's mechanics.

I read another interesting tidbit of trivia last night. Who was the last Bronco QB to lead the team back from 17 points down to win? Orton? Nope. Cutler? Nope. Plummer? Nope. Griese? Nope. It was actually Gus Frerotte way back in 2001.

So, Tebow is the first Broncos QB to lead the team back from 17 points down and win since 2001. :salute:

I hope this guy is here for a long time leading this team to many more victories than defeats!

What's even more impressive to me is that this was done by a rookie quarterback making only his second NFL start. Elway is the only other rookie quarterback in Denver's history that I'm aware of to lead the team back from that kind of deficit.

JaxBroncoGirl
12-28-2010, 10:57 AM

I have noticed improvement in his footwork and throwing motion, he is not Tom Brady but, I give him time. His throwing has improved but it is odd looking to me. If it works and he can get the play off great.

NightTrainLayne
12-28-2010, 11:13 AM
The study of a QB's mechanics are a useful tool in evaluating the potential, and statistically scoring the probability of success.

But that's all it is. A tool.

Go look at Arnold Palmer's golf swing. It's probably one of the most mechanically unsound golf swings in PGA history. And mechanics are what golf swings are all about. Yet, he is one of the top five golfers of all time.

Bad mechanics can be a red flag. Something to watch out for. But in the end, all that really matters is the end result. Arnold Palmer was one hell of a Golfer. Tim Tebow is one hell of a Football Player. In the end, that's all that matters.

Sinthor
12-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Don't forget too that a lot of (IMO) what makes Tebow's delivery look odd is that he's left handed. He's also a lot bulkier so he doesn't have that silky smoothness of delivery that Michael Vick does. He looks like what he is...a big muscular dude, throwing the football.

I also looked at a few passes that people said were "fluttery" (I have the NFL game rewind service) and looked at the slo-mo replays. Those throws I saw looked weird somehow to me too when I watched the play normally, but on the slo-mo I saw that they WEREN'T fluttery at all, they were good spirals. With his left handed delivery, the ball is angled opposite of what it usually is. So if you watch a lot of games you're used to seeing a pass look like "this." But the angle is opposite so it looks odd. Also, due to the ball spinning the OTHER way than "usual" your eye picks up the white stripe of the ball sometimes and it's coming the "wrong" way so again, it looks odd. I didn't see any "fluttery" passes, just good spirals.

Now, he has thrown some off passes on the run, mostly out of bounds that weren't great, but you can't count those. I really think the arguments of him not being able to throw well are bunk. He's just not the typical QB build, and that reverse spin, etc. is throwing people off.

PAINTERDAVE
12-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Interesting perspective on the reverse spiral... thanks

zbeg
12-28-2010, 06:55 PM

One of the strangest games I've ever been to. That was the last comeback at the old Mile High Stadium - Frerotte was so bad in the first half, interceptions galore and just bad decisions, before turning into Superman in the second half to undo the mistakes of the first. But the other thing that happened was that Ryan Leaf accidentally played like an NFL quarterback.

Look it up - it's the best game of Leaf's career, and it wasn't bad at all. I remember one throw in particular when he rolled right and the receiver was 50-60 yards downfield. Defender was closing on Leaf and it didn't look like he would have enough time to set his feet and get the ball downfield. Then pow! It looked like he barely flicked his wrist and that ball went FOREVER, catching the receiver in stride for a touchdown. Whaaaa? Leaf had a cannon for an arm, and you can definitely see why scouts would be salivating over him looking at his physical abilities.

Seeing Leaf play like that reminded me that a lot of players have talent, but only a very small number of them really capitalize on it. I've often said things like "what if Chad Pennington had Leaf's talent?" Insert your favorite undertalented-but-hard-working quarterback in place of Chad Pennington as you see fit (Doug Flutie is a good one, although my favorite is Moses Moreno; I'll let you figure out where I went to college).

That's one of the reasons why I'm getting so excited about Tim Tebow (tying this back to the topic at hand). He has the physical talent. He's not the plucky underdog who's scrapping his way to blah blah. Kid's got a ton of talent and he's doing everything he can to maximize it. The work ethic is so important, and what most of the failures seem to lack.

Have you ever heard of a first round pick who worked his butt off in order to be the best he could be, but ended up as a bust anyway? I can't think of one unless it involved catastrophic injury (Ki-Jana Carter).

Talent + hard work = greatness. It's a formula we see over and over and over again. You need both sides.

Jerry Rice wasn't the most talented receiver in his own draft class, but he worked much harder than anyone else. Cris Carter was a 4th round pick in the supplemental draft, but his ridiculous work ethic and practicing EVERYTHING (even those insane sideline catches) made him one of the best receivers ever. Steve Young was just another talented-but-unpolished quarterback with poor footwork when he was traded to the 49ers, but he worked non-stop on his mechanics and is in the Hall of Fame.

Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, Jamarcus Russell - if they worked as hard as say, Peyton Manning or Jerry Rice or John Elway, they could have been devastatingly good. Michael Vick has finally figured that out, and look what he's doing. He's maximizing his (considerable) talent, and if he doesn't win the MVP, it's only because he's losing out to another ridiculously hard working quarterback in Tom Brady.

People might want to say that historically, this Tebow-like pick doesn't usually pan out. I disagree - historically, Tebow has "success" written all over him. If you look at the blueprint for the all-time greats, Tebow is mirroring them. How can you not get excited about this?

*Steve Young is another Tebow comparison if you want, and not just because they're both left-handed mobile quarterbacks; look at Steve Young's delivery. It's a little long and looping, kind of a Tebow-lite delivery. But it didn't really matter because his feet were so so so good, which was not an accident. Young WORKED HARD to become what he became, and it's no accident that he harps on footwork all the time now on ESPN. Footwork is the single most important factor when it comes to accuracy, and good footwork takes a ton of time, effort, dedication, and requires a strong work ethic. The Tebow/Young comparison works out very well on multiple levels.

The study of a QB's mechanics are a useful tool in evaluating the potential, and statistically scoring the probability of success.

But that's all it is. A tool.

Go look at Arnold Palmer's golf swing. It's probably one of the most mechanically unsound golf swings in PGA history. And mechanics are what golf swings are all about. Yet, he is one of the top five golfers of all time.

Bad mechanics can be a red flag. Something to watch out for. But in the end, all that really matters is the end result. Arnold Palmer was one hell of a Golfer. Tim Tebow is one hell of a Football Player. In the end, that's all that matters.

I don't know much about golf mechanics, but is it possible that the things that mattered when it comes to accuracy were what Palmer still did?

I spend a little too much time watching quarterbacks and footwork and mechanics, and I have spent hours and hours and hours of watching NFL films footage, and taped footage, just watching the feet. I want to know what makes great quarterbacks great. There's the obvious stuff like leadership, intangibles, etc., but in addition, every single great passer in the modern era has good footwork, to a man. Some of the old-timey QBs probably didn't have coaches who preached it (or even knew how important it is), but in the last, say, 30 years, you can't find it.

Dan Marino? Weird release where he throws from his ear. His feet were awesome.
Steve Young dropped his elbow a little lower than the ideal release, but still one of the most accurate QBs in history because of his obsessive work on his feet.
I hate Phillip Rivers with the fiery passion of a thousand suns, I have to admit the guy is a top-notch passer. He throws the ball with that weird sidearm delivery, but his feet are excellent.
Not HOF-worthy, but still very good, was Bernie Kosar. Footwork was good, sidearm delivery was not.

I can't find evidence of a top QB with a delivery quite as long as Tebow's, so it's important that he works on it, but the focus of his mechanics should be feet, feet, feet, delivery, feet, feet.

Then you go down the list of great passers with (mostly) normal releases - Elway, Montana, Brady, Manning, etc. and their feet were also very good.

Good feet are a must for accurate passing. Mechanics absolutely matter at the QB position.

silkamilkamonico
12-28-2010, 07:01 PM
People need to get off the mechanics issue already. Nobody's still talking about Phil Rivers or Drew Brees' mechanics, because they proved it on the field.

The mechanics argument against tebow is perfectly valid until he started playing. Now it's pretty clear that his mechanics might not actually be an issue, which is why you're not hearing alot about it.

Lancane
12-28-2010, 07:08 PM
I have noticed improvement in his footwork and throwing motion, he is not Tom Brady but, I give him time. His throwing has improved but it is odd looking to me. If it works and he can get the play off great.

Unfortunatley our fearless owner needs to get of his ass and get the kid a quarterback coach that knows how to develop quarterbacks in all phases to help him improve.

PAINTERDAVE
12-28-2010, 07:19 PM
That was the dream of Josh McD... when they drafted him...
McD was known as a QB maker.

I have patience... the new Head Coach hire will happen soon enough...
and then we will find out who the new QB coach is.

Until then... we have one last chance to beat the Chargers...

Our own little "Tebow Bowl".

zbeg
12-28-2010, 07:35 PM

Honest question (not that this would actually happen): How would you feel about McD back next year as a QB coach?

Jake Klug
12-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Honest question (not that this would actually happen): How would you feel about McD back next year as a QB coach?

Are you talking about Josh's brother? I know this question wasnt directed at me, so sorry for interjecting, but I actually thought about this today. If Tebow like him, then Id keep him. Whatever makes Tebow successful. He's made good strides.

zbeg
12-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Are you talking about Josh's brother? I know this question wasnt directed at me, so sorry for interjecting, but I actually thought about this today. If Tebow like him, then Id keep him. Whatever makes Tebow successful. He's made good strides.

Open question - I mean Josh himself.

Jake Klug
12-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Open question - I mean Josh himself.

too soon

TXBRONC
12-28-2010, 08:55 PM

That just to much of an impossibility. Quite honestly I wouldn't want him back.

Sinthor
12-28-2010, 09:12 PM
too soon

Actually, this question came up (hiring Josh McD back in ANY capacity) on a show I was watching. They said that since the major reason he'd been fired was the whole video tape scandal, it would be impossible for him to be working in any other capacity. Otherwise, how could they distance themselves from the whole situation?

In any case, my vote would be to hire ANYONE that would ensure success or be the best in order to give him the best tutelage, but Josh McD just won't happen.

I know there are a good number of people who make a living even in the off season tutoring active QB's and even quarterback prospects from high school on? Anyone know any information on those type of folks or where to look up info on them? As for Ben McDaniels, Josh's brother. I have NO problem with him staying with the team (as if my opinion matters) as long as he's good. Just because he hadn't worked in the NFL before doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't know what he's doing, and the facts are that Tebow has visibly improved even since pre-season. If someone can do it better and sooner, get them! If not, then let the man keep working!

Lonestar
12-28-2010, 10:56 PM

I have patience... the new Head Coach hire will happen soon enough...
and then we will find out who the new QB coach is.

Until then... we have one last chance to beat the Chargers...

Our own little "Tebow Bowl".

Just food for thought. As to a QB coach.
IIRC
Josh was "relieved" of head coaching duties. He is still under contract and all three of our exsisting QB's love the guy and his QB skills.

If he is not picked up by another team looking for a OC.

Might just be a workable idea and WTH give a lot of folks something to "chat" about.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

PAINTERDAVE
12-28-2010, 10:59 PM

No. Absolutly no.

Too much bad blood.

I want the new HC to have HIS guy here.

Lonestar
12-28-2010, 11:00 PM

Sorry I just posted the same thing. In the mobile mode you can't multiquote so I qoute/post it as I go.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums