PDA

View Full Version : Ed Hocculi sucks

Medford Bronco
12-27-2010, 09:52 PM
I just hate the guy. He wants to see if he can get 10 penalties per team every game he refs.

He should have been a tv personality because he loves the camera. :lol:

Medford Bronco
12-27-2010, 09:53 PM
and I dont want to hear about the lucky win in 08 vs SD with that moron as ref.. He still sucks.

Northman
12-27-2010, 10:05 PM
I love Hochuli.

Medford Bronco
12-27-2010, 11:41 PM
he sucks. Atlanta ball I mean correction NO. What a moron lol

sneakers
12-28-2010, 12:28 AM
He and his lawfirm stayed at my hotel for a week once.

KCL
12-28-2010, 12:28 AM

I saw/heard that also Med but as far as refs go...he isn't the only one that sucks...several of them do.

Davii
12-28-2010, 12:50 AM
The officiating in that game was terrible. Offensive and defensive pass interference on the same play?

Please.

What about the unnecessary roughness call on the punt? He CLEARLY engaged his block while the Falcon player was in bounds, and hit him from the side, I saw absolutely nothing that would merit a penalty. Ridiculous.

Ravage!!!
12-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Ed is one of the best

Dzone
12-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Hocculi is an ok ref. But his arm size is HIGHLY over rated! People act like he is the incredible Hulk. His arms are NOT that big...they are probably 16", bigger than average, but not as huge as people and Hocculi seem to think.

As Marv Levy once said "hey you over officious jerk!"..."I went to college with that ref!"

spikerman
01-01-2011, 12:33 AM
I would almost guarantee that your local officiating chapters could always use new people. Since officiating is so easy and obviously many of the posters on the board could do a better job, why don't you contact your local chapter and become an official yourselves?

zbeg
01-01-2011, 12:40 AM
I would almost guarantee that your local officiating chapters could always use new people. Since officiating is so easy and obviously many of the posters on the board could do a better job, why don't you contact your local chapter and become an official yourselves?

Agreed that it is a much harder job than it looks, but I really wish the NFL would hire their refs full-time, as opposed to these guys being lawyers or whatever and just officiate part-time on the weekends.

There's value to be had to pay these guys to be full-time officials - quality certainly would go up, and I don't think we're anywhere close to the point of being at diminishing returns by doing so.

TXBRONC
01-01-2011, 12:46 AM
I love Hochuli.

I think he's the best referee in the game.

spikerman
01-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Agreed that it is a much harder job than it looks, but I really wish the NFL would hire their refs full-time, as opposed to these guys being lawyers or whatever and just officiate part-time on the weekends.

There's value to be had to pay these guys to be full-time officials - quality certainly would go up, and I don't think we're anywhere close to the point of being at diminishing returns by doing so.

I'm not sure why they don't hire them full time unless it's because there wouldn't be enough to do in the offseason. There is only so much you can study, etc.

I subscribe to a magazine cleverly called, "Referee" and a recent article talked about what a typical weekend is like for an NFL crew. It's rough. If I recall correctly they have to take a test before every game and all of their plays are reviewed by the league office.

One thing that a lot of people don't realize (I know I didn't before I became an official) is that it's much easier to see things the farther you are from the play. It's easier to see a holding call from the 10th row than from 10 feet away. I know it's counterintuitive, but it's true. Plus these things happen so fast even at the high school and semi-pro level (my level) I can't even imagine what it's like for those NFL guys.

I used to get on the officials as much as anybody until I started doing it and saw just how hard it is. I love it, but it is tough.

spikerman
01-01-2011, 12:48 AM
I think he's the best referee in the game.

I would say either him or Mike Carey, but to me they're all pretty amazing.

TXBRONC
01-01-2011, 01:58 PM
I would say either him or Mike Carey, but to me they're all pretty amazing.

It's amazing that most of shit Hochuli has taken over the las three years is based on one bad call that he made in regular season game. Worse yet he realized he had made a mistake but according to rules there was no way he could reversethe call otherwise he would have.

FTR the team that benefited from that call didn't win because of it.

BroncoWave
01-01-2011, 02:01 PM

Are you kidding me? God forbid a guy trip over his words. I'm sure you've never done that in your life.

You're a good poster Med but to call a guy a moron because of that is ridiculous.