PDA

View Full Version : Interesting - 3rd down series statistics

PAINTERDAVE
12-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Tebow had just one three-and-out series against Houston (Denver had 54 three-and-out series this season entering the game, averaging nearly four per contest).

AND...

Tebow’s third down passer rating of 139.1 (6-of-9 for 96 yards and one TD, with no interceptions) vs. Houston was the highest third-down passer rating by a rookie quarterback this year in the entire NFL (minimum nine attempts).

Day1BroncoFan
12-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Tebow had just one three-and-out series against Houston (Denver had 54 three-and-out series this season entering the game, averaging nearly four per contest).

AND...

Tebow’s third down passer rating of 139.1 (6-of-9 for 96 yards and one TD, with no interceptions) vs. Houston was the highest third-down passer rating by a rookie quarterback this year in the entire NFL (minimum nine attempts).

Do you know what Orton's would be in that area?

I Eat Staples
12-27-2010, 07:06 PM
It was against a historically bad pass defense, but that certainly bodes well for the future. I'm expecting those numbers to get a bit worse as Tebow takes his bumps, but we saw potential.

Dzone
12-27-2010, 07:08 PM
This is why People are giving their orton jerseys to the salvation army. Orton sucks

EMB6903
12-27-2010, 07:09 PM
People bought Orton Jerseys?

Juriga72
12-27-2010, 07:17 PM
People bought Orton Jerseys?

Yeah... WHEN they were buring Cutler jersey's, they handed out Orton ones for 1.00. Its just like how as a afterthought Chicago gave us Orton.

Kharma.....

Rick
12-27-2010, 07:17 PM
They MADE orton jerseys?

PAINTERDAVE
12-27-2010, 07:27 PM
I've got two Authentic Cutler Jersy's... long story.

I am holding on to them... maybe one day....:lol:

PAINTERDAVE
12-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Do you know what Orton's would be in that area?

Like the Raiders game, you mean?

I Eat Staples
12-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Why is it that every Tebow thread becomes an Orton thread, and every Orton thread becomes a Tebow thread? :noidea:

Day1BroncoFan
12-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Like the Raiders game, you mean?

Just overall, I know it's not a comparison but just wondered.

Where do you get those stats? Do you keep track of them yourself?

Day1BroncoFan
12-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Why is it that every Tebow thread becomes an Orton thread, and every Orton thread becomes a Tebow thread? :noidea:

They're both QB's for the same team at the same time is my quess. :nod:

Grover
12-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Maybe it had absolutely nothing to do with Tebow and EVERYTHING to do with McCoy's play calling on third down.:woot:

horsepig
12-27-2010, 07:54 PM
McCoy impressed the crap out of me in the 2'nd half. He finally decided to let the kid show his stuff.

Dzone
12-27-2010, 07:56 PM
This is a thread about 3rd down play, so of course orton is going to get mentioned because nobody in broncos history is as bad as orton on 3rd down

Dzone
12-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Maybe it had absolutely nothing to do with Tebow and EVERYTHING to do with McCoy's play calling on third down.:woot:
McCoy is a genius...Studesville should keep him next year as OC:salute::eek:

Sinthor
12-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Like they say, the best or worst play in the world can be drawn up, but it's all about the execution!

broncobryce
12-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Like they say, the best or worst play in the world can be drawn up, but it's all about the execution!

Yep. And with Orton if it didn't go perfect, he failed. Just didn't have any creativity, or athleticism.

PAINTERDAVE
12-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Just overall, I know it's not a comparison but just wondered.

Where do you get those stats? Do you keep track of them yourself?

They get published by the NFL.
I do not keep them myself.

Day1BroncoFan
12-28-2010, 12:36 AM
They get published by the NFL.
I do not keep them myself.

Guess I'll have to go browse around there and see if I can turn some up.

The nfl.com site is not one of my favorite places to visit, to commercialized.

PAINTERDAVE
12-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Yeah.. the NFL site often causes my computer to freeze...
then I have to close the window and start from scratch.

Elevation inc
12-28-2010, 02:32 PM
It was against a historically bad pass defense, but that certainly bodes well for the future. I'm expecting those numbers to get a bit worse as Tebow takes his bumps, but we saw potential.

to be fair, most other Qb's that played houston's bad defense so far this year didnt find that succes on third down.....guys like peyton manning for example....:D, and plenty of good qb's playing bad teams havent found that much succes either.....;)

but your right on potential, and bumps along the way:beer:

BroncoWave
12-28-2010, 02:36 PM

You weren't posting back then but the same way that back in 06 every Cutler thread turned into a Plummer thread and every Plummer thread turned into a Cutler thread. And to a lesser extent last year many Cutler threads turned into Orton threads and Orton threads into Cutler threads. It just happens when you have 2 different QBs that different factions of the fanbase like.

I just hope we don't draft Andrew Luck. I feel like the board battles on that would far exceed anything we have ever seen. Would be good for business for Tned though! :lol:

JDL
12-28-2010, 04:44 PM
This is a thread about 3rd down play, so of course orton is going to get mentioned because nobody in broncos history is as bad as orton on 3rd down

Care to back that statement up? :rolleyes:

DenBronx
12-28-2010, 04:55 PM

AND...

It's called OPTIONS on 3rd down. Something Kyle never had or could even dream of. Tebow can easily make plays with his feet on 3rd down making defenses play honest and have to keep an eye on him and if they pay too much attention to him then he can throw it. He's very versatile and that's what will set him apart.

arapaho2
12-28-2010, 05:25 PM

i dunno about backing it up...but it is interesting

since elway...den qb 3rd %

kyle orton...52.45%

jay cutler....59.8%

plummer......51.72%

griese.......59.1%

our best 3rd down qb was the one mcd sent packing:lol:

BroncoStud
12-28-2010, 05:28 PM

If you watched any of the Broncos games for the past 2 seasons other than the last 2, like the rest of us, he didn't need numbers to back it up.

EMB6903
12-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Orton was put in a lot more difficult situations then Plummer, and Griese too(who actually had great running games)

misleading stat.

even though I still think Orton sucks I cant overlook at how many crappy 3rd and 9+ situations he was put in on a consistent basis.

arapaho2
12-28-2010, 05:32 PM
plummers gawdawefull 3rd down stats reminds me of what a joke he was

arapaho2
12-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Orton was put in a lot more difficult situations then Plummer, and Griese too(who actually had great running games)

misleading stat.

even though I still think Orton sucks I cant overlook at how many crappy 3rd and 9+ situations he was put in on a consistent basis.

orton put himself in alot of 3rd and long situations...:lol:

Dzone
12-28-2010, 05:34 PM
No because you would have to be an anthropologist to find anyone in history as bad as orton
:laugh:

PAINTERDAVE
12-28-2010, 07:41 PM

misleading stat.

Situations he had a hand in creating... but yeah... McD was a lousy play caller to boot.

Water under the bridge now.

Sinthor
12-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Man, I don't even know if playcalling WAS the major weakness. In a lot of situations I saw, the play was alright. It was the EXECUTION that completely lacked any cohesion. I think that's the major point. I don't question that Josh knew a lot about football, might be brilliant even. I just think he was totally unprepared for the reality of being a head coach. Having to trust others and work with them, and how to motivate. Being fiery and yelling at people can motivate to an extent, but it loses it's potency really quickly when repeatedly used. People become immune. I think that after mid way through last year, his tantrums became just "another thing" to the team and they stopped responding. He responded by taking even more responsibility from his underlings to himself, which resulted in his concentrating even less on the "big picture" and motivation.

It became a vicious circle and wasn't sustainable.