PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Tank the Final Game?

Buff
12-27-2010, 02:52 PM
I've always been a guy who says you try to win every game. It goes against everything I stand for to root against my team. Plus, I don't think it's fair to fans or players to purposely tank multiple games... But in this specific instance, I just don't see the upside in a win:

If the Broncos lose, we pick 2nd, if we win, we could pick as low as 6th in the 2011 Draft. It could mean the difference between getting the best defensive player or the 4th best defensive player.

I know conventional wisdom says we owe it to the integrity of the game, yada yada... It would be nice to see Tebow beat Rivers, etc. But in this case, the Chargers have no playoff implications, so it's a completely meaningless game as far as 2010 standings are concerned. The only impact is in the draft.

As a coach, I don't think you can tell players to only go half speed on the field, but you can experiment with playcalling, be ultra conservative, and insert some backups into the lineup.

I know your first instinct is to say that "you play to win the game," but would you really be opposed if Bowlen told Studesville to go out there and assure him the #2 pick?

Day1BroncoFan
12-27-2010, 02:54 PM
:huh:

broncogirl7
12-27-2010, 02:55 PM
I agree..tank the last game if it means 2nd pick in draft instead of 6th. Let Tebow play the hell out of the game to give us a picture of what he can do against a tough defense, but in the end miss the field goal.

Nomad
12-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Better play Quinn then because no way Tebow would be on board with this!!

EDIT: Besides it will be fun and great to watch the BRONCOS win again and go into the offseason on a winning note! I don't know if the BRONCOS will even pick the #2 and maybe they'll trade down for more picks!!

BroncoWave
12-27-2010, 02:57 PM
I'd rather us win. We will still likely be in the top 5 and there will still be a stud d-lineman there.

robert ethan
12-27-2010, 02:58 PM
They did that last game. Elway wants Luck and Harbaugh, and Bowlen/Ellis want to accomodate Elway so they let Studs and Wink the Fink know what was expected. Tim Tebow wants to win. So far it's a draw.

broncogirl7
Tebow doesn't have to be part of the loss, we can leave that to the kicker. LOL.

Tebow needs to work on the mechanics of how he throws the ball...no alley-oops or he won't be franchise quarterback.
I would side with Elway on the Luck angle...he is franchise quarterback!

Denver Native (Carol)
The players are playing for pride, playing for their jobs next year - Should they care what position the Broncos draft in next year? If you do not get the #2, trades can be made to move up.

Buff
12-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Better play Quinn then because no way Tebow would be on board with this!!

Yep, that's the main problem. The coaches and players have to think about their own careers, so that's why this plan really only works as a hypothetical.

You can't just ask guys to go out there and not compete. They wouldn't do it.

But if you can get the coaches on board, or at least a couple of them, then they can call 75% running plays, punt a lot, play off-coverage on defense. Basically, come up with a piss-poor gameplan but don't tell the players you're throwing the game.

I don't expect them to actually do it, but in theory, I think it's the best longterm move for the organization.

Nomad
12-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Buff, I don't think you have to worry because I don't see the BRONCOS beating the Chargers regardless even if they wanted to tank the game or not!!

Day1BroncoFan
12-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Give your best and let the chips fall where they fall or ****.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-27-2010, 03:06 PM
I think the Sparklers are going to go out of their way to tank the game. I think they really have nothing to play for and will shut it down because they are now completely de-motivated by being knocked out of the playoffs. I could actually see someone like AJ Smith telling Norv to throw the game for draft position.

I don't think that the word "tank" in reference to a competition is in Tebow's vocabulary so that idea is probably out from our end. Studes, McCoy, Wink, and many other coaches and players are coaching/playing for a job. They won't just shut it down at home. They want to win to at least make themselves feel at little better heading into the offseason.

I don't think SD feels that way. It would surprise me to even see Rivers or most of their starters play in the game at all. Why risk an ACL tear, or achilles tear that could jeopardize next season in a meaningless game?

I actually think we'd almost have to try to lose this week.

BigDaddyBronco
12-27-2010, 03:07 PM
I don't know if there is a huge difference in defensive line talent between Bowers, Darius and Fairley. Depends on what scheme we run. Unless we are picking a WR or QB, I don't thing it metters if we pick #2 or #6. Of course the combine, injuries, and off the field stuff could really change that equation in a hurry.

BroncoWave
12-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Buff, I don't think you have to worry because I don't see the BRONCOS beating the Chargers regardless even if they wanted to tank the game or not!!

The just got blown out by the Bungles and now have nothing to play for this week. Wouldn't shock me if we won.

dogfish
12-27-2010, 03:08 PM
who do you want at #2 so bad, peterson or bowers?

Buff
12-27-2010, 03:08 PM

Normally I would agree, but they just got eliminated from playoff contention and Norv could be on his way out, so it could be a big letdown week for them... Plus, now there is the Tebow factor.

BroncoWave
12-27-2010, 03:09 PM
I think the Sparklers are going to go out of their way to tank the game. I think they really have nothing to play for and will shut it down because they are now completely de-motivated by being knocked out of the playoffs. I could actually see someone like AJ Smith telling Norv to throw the game for draft position.

I don't think that the word "tank" in reference to a competition is in Tebow's vocabulary so that idea is probably out from our end. Studes, McCoy, Wink, and many other coaches and players are coaching/playing for a job. They won't just shut it down at home. They want to win to at least make themselves feel at little better heading into the offseason.

I don't think SD feels that way. It would surprise me to even see Rivers or most of their starters play in the game at all. Why risk an ACL tear, or achilles tear that could jeopardize next season in a meaningless game?

I actually think we'd almost have to try to lose this week.

One day, I would love to see an NFL game in which both teams are blatantly trying to lose. Maybe there would be a scenario with a stud QB on the board and the 2 worst teams happen to be playing in week 17. That would be entertaining as hell.

Buff
12-27-2010, 03:10 PM
who do you want at #2 so bad, peterson or bowers?

Bowers. Or any other front 7 player that flies up the board. I'd just hate to find ourself in a scenario where our top 2-3 guys are off the board. Of all years, this is the one we need that damn elite player.

Nomad
12-27-2010, 03:16 PM
And with the #2 pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Denver BRONCOS select........

A J GREEN from the University of Georgia:lol:

frauschieze
12-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Why not?

Because every player on that field, every coach on that sideline is auditioning for their next job. No way would any of them be on board with deliberately tanking a game, especially the coaches, if they are remotely intelligent at all.

As for long term benefits to the team, I don't know that I agree. A few draft spots gained isn't likely to make a huge impact long term simply because we have so many holes and are in glaring need of depth. If it meant the difference between getting that final piece necessary for the team, maybe, but I just don't see it. At most, I see having the #2 as having the potential to move down and gather more picks, but that'll only happen if someone really wants to trade.

Grover
12-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Maybe Eric Decker can fumble a return or two.
How about some offensive line false starts.
Maybe Fields can grab face masks on consecutive plays.
Jason Hunter roughs up Rivers for a couple of fifteen-yard penalties.
Our middle linebackers fall over themselves and allow 65 yard rushing plays.
DJ "forgets" to cover the tight end, like they're not supposed to catch passes or something.
Jamaal Williams disappears after the first quarter.
We don't generate a pass rush.
Special Teams allows a touchdown on a fake field goal.
Moreno goes out injured after three minutes in the first.

Let's start with the above, and MAYBE we'll earn the 2nd pick fair and square. I'd hate to see us actually throw a game on purpose.

MasterShake
12-27-2010, 03:23 PM
I'd love to get Bowers too, but we can't just lay down and die. If we are gonna go down, I want to go down arms flailing and legs kicking madly as we scream in tongues. I want to see a Madden type game where we go for it on 4th and 9 from our own 30, or do an onside kick every other time. Or, how about an all out blitz each time to see if we can get some kind of sack record?

Fake punts, flea flickers, direct snaps. Just have fun and make it a crazy game. I wouldn't even care if we lost if we just threw the kitchen sink at them.

red98
12-27-2010, 03:23 PM
You play to win the game

Day1BroncoFan
12-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Because losing is for losers. :nod:

BroncoWave
12-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Also, there is zero guarantee we'd get a better player at 2 than at 5 or 6. And that player at 5 or 6 would be cheaper.

BigSarge87
12-27-2010, 03:33 PM
There's no chance of either team deliberately tanking the game. Not a division rivalry. No way.

That said, I doubt the odds of a #2 pick making that much more of an impact than a #6 pick are that good. Either way, there's going to be an outstanding defensive player there.

As I stated in another thread, winning this last game means Tebow had yet another good outing. I think I would rather pick at #6 (more likely #4 or #5) and finish the year off on a winning note then pick at #2.

Buff
12-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Also, there is zero guarantee we'd get a better player at 2 than at 5 or 6. And that player at 5 or 6 would be cheaper.

There is no guarantee, but history says it's harder to **** up #2 than #6.

And when you're coming off a 4 win season and haven't picked in the Top 5 in 20 years, money shouldn't be a big issue.

dogfish
12-27-2010, 03:38 PM

don't underestimate brian xanders, buff-- he's like kircus, you don't know what he's capable of. . . .

BroncoWave
12-27-2010, 03:38 PM

And when you're coming off a 4 win season and haven't picked in the Top 5 in 20 years, money shouldn't be a big issue.

Someone just made a post showing that the #2 picks in the last 10 years have been pretty unimpressive for the most part. There will still be one of those big 3 d-linemen at 5 or 6 IMO. You have to remember Peterson and Amukamara will likely also be considered by some teams in the top 5.

Buff
12-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Someone just made a post showing that the #2 picks in the last 10 years have been pretty unimpressive for the most part. There will still be one of those big 3 d-linemen at 5 or 6 IMO. You have to remember Peterson and Amukamara will likely also be considered by some teams in the top 5.

I know, I know... Picking #3-#6 is still going to yield an above average player.

But I'm saying, from a theoretical standpoint, picking #2 is better than picking #6... And if there is absolutely nothing else on the line other than pride and a draft pick, it's surprising that teams don't opt for the draft pick more often.

Slick
12-27-2010, 03:42 PM
That's a tough one Buff.

I'd like to pick #2 but not by throwing in the towel. It would be nice to see Rivers and that even bigger douchebag Shaun Phillips walking off the field hanging their heads.

I just hope whatever pick we do end up with, we use it on a mountain of a man.

T.K.O.
12-27-2010, 03:43 PM
even if 1/2 the team buys into the "TANK" idea....Tebow will not allow it !!!!!!:salute::D

Buff
12-27-2010, 03:44 PM
even if 1/2 the team buys into the "TANK" idea....Tebow will not allow it !!!!!!:salute::D

We just need to duplicate the offensive gameplan that we ran in Oakland. That is good for a loss 100% of the time.

BroncoStud
12-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Moot point.

Unless Tim Tebow becomes a 3rd year John Elway this week we ain't gonna beat the Chargers anyway. Normally I would be all for tanking, but since it's the Chargers I say do your best to beat their ass.

T.K.O.
12-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Moot point.

Unless Tim Tebow becomes a 3rd year John Elway this week we ain't gonna beat the Chargers anyway. Normally I would be all for tanking, but since it's the Chargers I say do your best to beat their ass.

if cincy can do it when the bolts are still in the hunt.......the broncos might just surprise us !!!!!!:salute:

rcsodak
12-27-2010, 04:07 PM
I've always been a guy who says you try to win every game. It goes against everything I stand for to root against my team. Plus, I don't think it's fair to fans or players to purposely tank multiple games... But in this specific instance, I just don't see the upside in a win:

If the Broncos lose, we pick 2nd, if we win, we could pick as low as 6th in the 2011 Draft. It could mean the difference between getting the best defensive player or the 4th best defensive player.

I know conventional wisdom says we owe it to the integrity of the game, yada yada... It would be nice to see Tebow beat Rivers, etc. But in this case, the Chargers have no playoff implications, so it's a completely meaningless game as far as 2010 standings are concerned. The only impact is in the draft.

As a coach, I don't think you can tell players to only go half speed on the field, but you can experiment with playcalling, be ultra conservative, and insert some backups into the lineup.

I know your first instinct is to say that "you play to win the game," but would you really be opposed if Bowlen told Studesville to go out there and assure him the #2 pick?
Isn't that what McD was doing?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rcsodak
12-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Yep, that's the main problem. The coaches and players have to think about their own careers, so that's why this plan really only works as a hypothetical.

You can't just ask guys to go out there and not compete. They wouldn't do it.

But if you can get the coaches on board, or at least a couple of them, then they can call 75% running plays, punt a lot, play off-coverage on defense. Basically, come up with a piss-poor gameplan but don't tell the players you're throwing the game.

I don't expect them to actually do it, but in theory, I think it's the best longterm move for the organization.
Maybe you didn't hear the boos at HT? The team did. Playing a rook at QB should be the extent of 'tanking it'.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

tomjonesrocks
12-27-2010, 04:12 PM
They did that last game. Elway wants Luck and Harbaugh, and Bowlen/Ellis want to accomodate Elway so they let Studs and Wink the Fink know what was expected. Tim Tebow wants to win. So far it's a draw.

Please go away and back to the Raiders message board you came from...time to use my ignore feature I guess.

BigSarge87
12-27-2010, 04:15 PM
if cincy can do it when the bolts are still in the hunt.......the broncos might just surprise us !!!!!!:salute:

Wouldn't that be a sweet way to end the season? I think it's huge that we win this game. I think it will have a major effect on the players. Going out there and winning this division home game to end the season raises the players expectations of themselves for next year and helps motivate them to stay on top of things in the offseason.

If we go out and get thumped, all the players are going to think about is getting out of town and forgetting about football for a few months.

Let's start next season right now by going out and punching those freaks in the mouth. Just to let them know we're going to be all over them next year.

Buff
12-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Wouldn't that be a sweet way to end the season? I think it's huge that we win this game. I think it will have a major effect on the players. Going out there and winning this division home game to end the season raises the players expectations of themselves for next year and helps motivate them to stay on top of things in the offseason.

If we go out and get thumped, all the players are going to think about is getting out of town and forgetting about football for a few months.

Let's start next season right now by going out and punching those freaks in the mouth. Just to let them know we're going to be all over them next year.

See, I disagree with this 100%. That's all feel-good mumbo jumbo IMO. Akin to a "moral victory." What will make everyone feel better is going out and getting the best defensive player available. Winning a meaningless game with quite a few guys who won't even be around next year isn't good for anything more than feeling good for a couple of days. Just my two cents.

That's not to say I won't enjoy a win as I always do... I just think the draft pick is more significant than any morale boosting win to end the season.

BroncoWave
12-27-2010, 04:21 PM
See, I disagree with this 100%. That's all feel-good mumbo jumbo IMO. Akin to a "moral victory." What will make everyone feel better is going out and getting the best defensive player available. Winning a meaningless game with quite a few guys who won't even be around next year isn't good for anything more than feeling good for a couple of days. Just my two cents.

That's not to say I won't enjoy a win as I always do... I just think the draft pick is more significant than any morale boosting win to end the season.

Ok, so is your jersey size L or XL? I'm looking for a Rivers jersey to get for you! :D

DenBronx
12-27-2010, 04:21 PM
No GM or Owner would ever tell a coach to "tank it". Maybe the coaches will play a very vanilla type of offense but they will still try and score/evaluate the team this final game. To "tank it" is purely from a fans perspective. These guys all have their jobs on the line and us little arm chair GM's do not.

But, the Chargers still have the leagues best defense IIRC and I don't think we will win but I do think it wil be a close game.

Buff
12-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Ok, so is your jersey size L or XL? I'm looking for a Rivers jersey to get for you! :D

I know I'm walking a fine line here...

And I've never been on the other side of this argument. Normally I'm scolding someone for even suggesting that we lose on purpose. But in this case it sure does make a lot of sense. Interesting dilemma the NFL presents teams with.

Day1BroncoFan
12-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Losing on purpose never makes sense unless your trying to win a womans affection. :D

dogfish
12-27-2010, 04:29 PM
i don't see anything close to suh in this year's draft class, even if the juniors all come out-- #2 isn't worth any more to us than #5-6 unless we can trade down. . .

as long as xanders is our GM, i'll take a tebow victory over the sparklers over a couple of draft spots-- i hope tim hulks out and smashes them. . .

BigSarge87
12-27-2010, 04:31 PM

No way. You don't think feeling good about the team your on is important? It's obvious watching the games that the players, all of them, need something to feel good about right now. They are competitors, they all feed off the 'feel-good mumbo jumbo'. I think a win gives them a feeling they are coming back to an improving team next year whereas a loss gives them the feeling they are the new lions so what's the point.

We're going to get a good defensive player, the players are going to be stoked either way.

CrazyHorse
12-27-2010, 04:40 PM
NO!

arapaho2
12-27-2010, 04:52 PM
for week 17

4-11 teams
the broncos play the bolts ..both with nothing but a worse draft slot to play for

bengal play the ravens vieing for the #2 spot...

bills play the jets going trying to move to the 5th spot? i think thats still there

if we lose we got the two spot...if we win then we contend with the current 5-10's

of the 5-10 teams

9rs play the cardinals...nothing to play for
vikings play detroit....nothing to play for
cowboys play philly...with #2 on the line?
houston plays the jags with playoffs on the line
browns play pitt...with #2 on the line

cowboys lose stay at 5 wins
houston loses..stay at 5 wins
browns lose stay at 5 wins
49s...
az.....one of these stays at 5 wins

so if we win more than likely the bengals pick #2..the browns #3

and then the 4th spot is up between the bronco, tex, cowboys, browns, az or 9rs

so who has the #4 if the broncos win based on SOS

silkamilkamonico
12-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Win. Winning becomes habit. I think Tebow has earned the opportunity to be our starting QB in 2012, and worst case scenario were drafting 6th. Bowers would not be a good fit for us IMHO, so at worst we are missing out on 2 elite defensive prospects. We'll be fine.

Denver27og
12-27-2010, 05:00 PM
they have been tanking all year...

might as well try thier best to win the last game..

i would...

BigSarge87
12-27-2010, 05:01 PM
It's crapshoot to say what pick we're going to have if we win. Just because teams have nothing to play for doesn't mean they aren't going to play to win. Every year teams that have been eliminated knock other teams out of the playoffs.

Lets hope for several more games like the Bengals/Chargers game from last week!

Dzone
12-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Lets take the training wheels off and let Tebow air it out from the get go. If we win, fine, but if we lose, at least we go down throwing and seeing what Tebow can really do, then we get the 2nd pick of the draft. throw throw throw

Dzone
12-27-2010, 05:16 PM
we will win the game Sunday, count on it...then Studesville will be the favorite to get the HC job...

silkamilkamonico
12-27-2010, 05:18 PM
we will win the game Sunday, count on it...then Studesville will be the favorite to get the HC job...

If winning Sunday means Studesville is a strong candidate for the HC postion, then I regretfully hope we get blown the **** out.

BigSarge87
12-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Lets take the training wheels off and let Tebow air it out from the get go. If we win, fine, but if we lose, at least we go down throwing and seeing what Tebow can really do, then we get the 2nd pick of the draft. throw throw throw

I agree that we should open it up a bit more in the last game, but not completely. I know most people are annoyed at the conservative playcalling, but if we're going Tebow all the way next year, he's gotta end the year with some confidence. If he hits a wall with the Chargers by throwing three picks I don't see how that helps him develop.

Dzone
12-27-2010, 05:29 PM
If winning Sunday means Studesville is a strong candidate for the HC postion, then I regretfully hope we get blown the **** out.
Well, its going to happen. they are going to win Sunday. So you should get used to saying :"Eric Studesville, Head Coach Denver Broncos, 2011"...Yep, its a done deal. Studs is going to win the job!:salute:

Dzone
12-27-2010, 05:32 PM
I agree that we should open it up a bit more in the last game, but not completely. I know most people are annoyed at the conservative playcalling, but if we're going Tebow all the way next year, he's gotta end the year with some confidence. If he hits a wall with the Chargers by throwing three picks I don't see how that helps him develop.

Ya, youre probably right. It will be much better for fan morale if we finish the season 2-0...I dont know what the history of 2nd picks VS 5th picks is, but there cant be much difference in 2nd vs 5th...heck in 1991 we got Mike Croel in the top 5 and he didnt amount to shyt

sneakers
12-27-2010, 05:41 PM

This is actually a well put together argument....nice post buff

Juriga72
12-27-2010, 05:48 PM
I have picked us to win every week this year. Getting THAT pick wrong the 12th time is going to piss me off greatly.

I want us to win, because "insert Herm Edwards rant"- "You play to win the games"...

Day1BroncoFan
12-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Tebow=tank (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank)

Sinthor
12-27-2010, 06:18 PM
I can't imagine throwing the game. I can't see this anyway, but ESPECIALLY not with the Chargers. If it was the Texans or someone else...more remotely possible, although I don't see it's possible at all.

The Chargers would just be too fun to beat. I'm actually bummed that we don't have the chance to knock them out of the playoffs. I thought the Broncos would win under that scenario for sure.

Think about it. How fun would it be to beat Phillip Rivers and watch him have his little tantrums on the field and jump up and down. I don't like that crotch-grabbing, trash talking little fool. Seems to me he acts like a grade school kid on the field.

I'm hoping that that the whole Bronco team gets jacked up from this win against Houston and can play one full game as a team and STUFF the Chargers. Chargers will either be flat from their loss or really upset and physical. Either way, I want them beat. A nice blowout would be great of course but I'll take a straight up win. Hopefully Tebow can keep up his efficient passing ways and we STOMP the Bolts. End the season on a high note and even more hope for next year!

broncogirl7
12-27-2010, 09:39 PM

He would make a terribel HC! No balls with play-calling and just watch him on the sidelines. HC caliber is not there!

Denver Native (Carol)
12-27-2010, 09:40 PM
He would make a terribel HC! No balls with play-calling and just watch him on the sidelines. HC caliber is not there!

:confused: McCoy is calling the plays

TXBRONC
12-27-2010, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't want Denver to tank the game. I'll be a lot happier if we beat the Chargers than if we lose to them. I rather enjoy seeing Rivers look like someone kicked him balls when the Chargers lose. I really can't stand see him run that big mouth of his so would much rather that we win than lose.

If the Chargers come into this game focused and ready to play we'll have our hands full. They are by far a better team than Denver is talent wise so don't need Denver to intentionally roll over for them.

Krugan
12-27-2010, 10:46 PM
God no!

We have never lost 12 games in a season, and why start now....

TXBRONC
12-27-2010, 10:57 PM
God no!

We have never lost 12 games in a season, and why start now....

Denver may not win this game anyway but I don't want them to go down without a fight.

Dzone
12-27-2010, 11:02 PM
a 2nd pick has no better chance of stardom than a 4th pick...so lets friggin win the game...

NightTrainLayne
12-28-2010, 12:12 AM
Q: Why not tank the final game?:

A: Fortune/destiny does not smile kindly upon people or organizations who do not give it their all every minute of every day.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-28-2010, 12:23 AM
I want to see Tebow put his shoulder down and run right the hell over Shawn Phillips on his way into the endzone. If that happens, it really won't matter what the outcome is from then on. Phillips has gotten in the habit of talking non-stop shit every time before we play them. I want Tebow to straight bust him in the chops and lay him out (in the football sense of course, TT is too classy to shit talk him back or take a cheap shot) then tell him "God Bless" after he scores...

dogfish
12-28-2010, 01:02 AM

A: Fortune/destiny does not smile kindly upon people or organizations who do not give it their all every minute of every day.

A: Go **** yourself, San Diego.

ogplife
12-28-2010, 01:23 AM
The Chargers will score at least 27/28 points. For us to win, we would have to score 30 plus points. If Tebow can lead the offense to over 20 points in his third start (leaving room for a possible defensive/special teams touchdown) and a win, that would be great and against a top 5 defense. Knowing that we have a franchise qb for the next 10 years is worth a few spots in the draft. People better be careful what they ask for, Losing could also equal Tebow throwing 4 picks and we are using our pick on Mallet/Newton (qbs can rise quickly on the draft board or Luck may not come out) and you dont get a defensive player at all in the first round. Im hoping we trade to the back of the first round anyway. I think a good 3-4 defensive end can be found late in the first round and I definitely dont believe in drafting one high in round one. It is the least important position on a 3-4. They do the grunt work for the OLBs to make plays. You dont need an all world talent. The difference between the 2 and 6 pick may be another team offering a 5th vs 6th round pick in their package. Helpful but not the end of the world.

PAINTERDAVE
12-28-2010, 02:49 AM
Play to win and BEAT THE CHARGERS

honz
12-28-2010, 03:19 AM

Because we will get blown out without tanking.

BroncoBJ
12-28-2010, 05:12 AM
I'd rather win. We've lost enough this year to last us for the next decade. :P ... I'm just tired of losing and would like to see Tim finish 2-1 and show us what hes capable of as he leads us to the playoffs next year. :elefant:

I feel that if we win we'll end up with the 4th or 5th pick.

I think the Bills and Bengals will both lose. And get picks 2 and 3. While 1 of the other teams with 5 wins, will lose and be below us.

But I think if Luck declares he will go to Carolina, or maybe Cincy or even Buf, if they want that route. I feel that AJ Green will also go to 1 of those teams. 2 offensive players picked in the 1st 4 picks would be nice.

As for Bowers and Peterson. I don't want either of them. THe 1 guy I really want is Nick Fairly. We need some nasty animals on this defense and it'd be nice to start with him.

Last thing I want though is offense. If we lose, who knows if we'll be more tempted to get someone on offense. I never know what our management is capable of. :fight:

Nomad
12-28-2010, 08:46 AM
I just hope it doesn't snow so the NFL doesn't cancel the game!!:coffee:

TXBRONC
12-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Because we will get blown out without tanking.

Maybe we will, but it's not written in stone that we will.

BroncoJoe
12-28-2010, 10:35 AM
They better not tank the game - it will be my son's first game at Mile High!

Dzone
12-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Isnt SDs defense among the highest rated in the NFL?
This should be a great test for TT. If he excels, then critics wont be able to say "ya, but it was against the worst defense in nfl history"

Buff
12-28-2010, 10:56 AM
The difference between the 2 and 6 pick may be another team offering a 5th vs 6th round pick in their package. Helpful but not the end of the world.

This is pretty far off actually. According to the draft chart that most NFL teams use as a guideline. The #2 pick is worth 2600 points where the #6 picks is worth 1600. (1,000 point difference)

The first pick of the 5th round is worth 43 points, where the first pick of the 6th round is worth 27 points.

What it means as a practical matter is that hardly any team is ever going to trade for the #2 pick because the price is too steep... But your post grossly underestimates its value.

LTC Pain
12-28-2010, 10:57 AM
The team should play to win, period, not for draft position. Then draft some studs on defense that can stop the run and pressure the QB.

Wonder if the Cardinals would trade Dan Williams for Orton???

Nomad
12-28-2010, 10:57 AM
This is pretty far off actually. According to the draft chart that most NFL teams use as a guideline. The #2 pick is worth 2600 points where the #6 picks is worth 1600. (1,000 point difference)

The first pick of the 5th round is worth 43 points, where the first pick of the 6th round is worth 27 points.

What it means as a practical matter is that hardly any team is ever going to trade for the #2 pick because the price is too steep... But your post grossly underestimates its value.

This is deep draft knowledge.....I never knew they had a point system!!

BeefStew25
12-28-2010, 10:58 AM
I just want one defensive player to step up and ruin Phillip's offseason.

tripleoption
12-28-2010, 11:00 AM
This should be a great test for TT. If he excels, then critics wont be able to say "ya, but it was against the worst defense in nfl history"

No, they'll move the goalposts again and say "ya, but it was against a Chargers team who didn't care cuz they'd been knocked out of the playoffs", or "it's only his third game, wait'll everyone sees film of him in the offseason and they'll be able to gameplan for him"....etc., etc., ad nauseum, ad nauseum.....:drinking:

Nomad
12-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Dedes/Cross will call the BRONCOS game!!

dogfish
12-28-2010, 11:58 AM
This is deep draft knowledge.....I never knew they had a point system!!

buff knows things that normal people just don't. . .

I Eat Staples
12-28-2010, 12:27 PM

Stats are misleading if that's true, SD's defense isn't that good.

TXBRONC
12-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Stats are misleading if that's true, SD's defense isn't that good.

Sometimes they are but not always.

BCJ
12-28-2010, 10:33 PM

Exactly! What do you think a guy like Tebow would think of this franchise if we mailed this game in on getting a possible move up in the draft board? I guarantee you he would ask to be traded! Losing on purpose is loser talk. I want to see what Tebow can do with a great defense. This game is important to know if Tebow is the guy taking us into 2011. It is important to see what he is made of and also this team. No one seems to mind we dropped when we beat the Vikings and still picked up Clady at #12. Win the game and be excited for what we might have in 2011.