View Full Version : Paige: Orange is back and so is Xanders as GM

Jake Klug
12-27-2010, 10:18 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16948882

Paige: A time to reap rewards with Tebow under center
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/27/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

Forty-two minutes into the 15th game of one of the worst seasons of the Broncos' 51, the fans, the franchise, the feeling and the future took a turn for the better when Tim Tebow turned the left corner and tore into the end zone.

Touchdown Timmy had concocted the first comeback of his NFL career.

The Broncos trailed 17-0 at halftime and 23-10 in the fourth quarter before he threw for a touchdown, then ran for a touchdown in a one-point win that had the stadium shaking, baking and earthquaking like the good old days.

John Elway's first of a record number of fourth-quarter rallies occurred 27 years ago this month. The Broncos were in the 16-0 wake of the Colts at halftime before winning by two.

Welcome back, Broncos. Welcome back, comebacks.

Welcome back, John Elway. The Broncos will name Elway to a high- ranking executive's position shortly after the season ends Sunday. Owner Pat Bowlen and chief operating officer Joe Ellis have worked out all the details with Elway and his agent.

General manager (in title) Brian Xanders will get more authority in personnel decisions — and those four horsemen will begin, early in the new year, interviewing candidates for the head coaching job. No official list has been compiled, although certainly Bowlen, Ellis, Elway and Xanders already have picked some of their personal potential favorites.

The Broncos' 2012 coach will be charged with significantly improving the defense, using the high draft choices to upgrade the entire team, hiring new offensive, defensive and special-teams coordinators, ending the division and dissonance and . . .

Starting Tebow.

Read the rest at the article location above.

OrangeHoof
12-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Prediction: IF Elway is brought into a position of power and IF Houston fires Gary Kubiak in the next few weeks, expect the Broncos to hire Elway's old buddy either as head coach or, at least, offensive coordinator. Elway's going to want him and who is going to tell John "no"?

Dzone
12-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Xanders interview this morning on 877 was impressive. We could do worse than xanders. He didnt come across as a dumbass full of cliches like Mcdaniels

Tned
12-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Xanders interview this morning on 877 was impressive. We could do worse than xanders. He didnt come across as a dumbass full of cliches like Mcdaniels

Hopefully, he's on Vic and Gary, if so I have it taped and will listen later. I don't know if Xanders is good or bad, but I know a lot of people have unfairly attacked him for not 'standing up' to McDaniels, which simply makes no sense. Pat Bowlen and Joe Ellis gave McDaniels the power over player moves, very much like Shanahan had.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

jhildebrand
12-27-2010, 12:36 PM
The problem is there are several articles that cited Xanders as GM and not in title only. I posted them in another thread. Also, there have been several supportive quotes from Xanders on the personnel moves.

So while he may have had his hand forced to go along with McDaniels, he didn't have to offer support. Only now has he tried to distance himself for obvious reasons.

Xanders and Ellis have been part of the problem all this time. Why not start completely new? :confused: Ellis brings something to the business side of operations. If he is so important to Bowlen, then move him back to that side.

NittanyBuff24
12-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Love both, Elway and Orange, too damn bad we have to wait a year for the return of the Orange jersies.

Slick
12-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Welcome back, John Elway. The Broncos will name Elway to a high- ranking executive's position shortly after the season ends Sunday. Owner Pat Bowlen and chief operating officer Joe Ellis have worked out all the details with Elway and his agent.

Interesting.

camdisco24
12-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Prediction: IF Elway is brought into a position of power and IF Houston fires Gary Kubiak in the next few weeks, expect the Broncos to hire Elway's old buddy either as head coach or, at least, offensive coordinator. Elway's going to want him and who is going to tell John "no"?

Kubiak will be in Denver next year. That my prediction.
Hopefully as OC, not HC, but he'll be here.

dogfish
12-27-2010, 01:07 PM
xanders as GM? i KNEW we were getting sold out!

**** you, bowlen!

pipes
12-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Love both, Elway and Orange, too damn bad we have to wait a year for the return of the Orange jersies.

I'm sorry..have I missed something? Is Denver switching to the orange jerseys fulltime?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Jake Klug
12-27-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm sorry..have I missed something? Is Denver switching to the orange jerseys fulltime?

yes

jrelway
12-27-2010, 01:35 PM

i would love to see tebow and co. in kubiaks offense. bring on them bootlegs.

milehigh
12-27-2010, 01:54 PM

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16948882

And the Broncos are planning to bring back the orange jerseys full time in 2012. (The league has to be notified of a uniform change by March, so it's too late for 2011).

Denver Native (Carol)
12-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Hopefully, he's on Vic and Gary, if so I have it taped and will listen later. I don't know if Xanders is good or bad, but I know a lot of people have unfairly attacked him for not 'standing up' to McDaniels, which simply makes no sense. Pat Bowlen and Joe Ellis gave McDaniels the power over player moves, very much like Shanahan had.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

http://www.877theticket.com/#vmix_media_id=20776951

it's under Ticket Replay - Xanders

BroncoStud
12-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Orange rocks, it's about time Denver gets back to it. I really liked the concept art that had the orange jersey with the white helmet. That was pretty sweet.

RebelRocker
12-27-2010, 02:32 PM

Does anybody have the link to the interview?

rcsodak
12-27-2010, 04:26 PM
i would love to see tebow and co. in kubiaks offense. bring on them bootlegs.is tt accurate enough?

DenBronx
12-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Xanders never had final say on personel decisions, McD did. That has already been reported, threads made and discussed.

Xanders was a contract, money mover type of guy. He is responsible for player contracts and team cap ect.

But it looks like Bowlen is willing to give Xanders more say now with the advice of Elway. This could be very good for the franchise.

I wouldn't mind Kubiak as OC and Singeltary as DC but still in high hope for a guy like Gruden.

Nomad
12-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Gruden will be in your neck of the woods soon wearing the red and gold colors!!

jhildebrand
12-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Xanders never had final say on personel decisions, McD did. That has already been reported, threads made and discussed.

Xanders was a contract, money mover type of guy. He is responsible for player contracts and team cap ect.

But it looks like Bowlen is willing to give Xanders more say now with the advice of Elway. This could be very good for the franchise.

I wouldn't mind Kubiak as OC and Singeltary as DC but still in high hope for a guy like Gruden.

Except he was in charge heading into the first draft. He organized that first draft board that had only 100 people on it. A draft that could go down as one of the worst! But yea, Xanders was just a patsy.

DenBronx
12-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Gruden will be in your neck of the woods soon wearing the red and gold colors!!

Yeah I know....the Niners are way high on him and he loves the Bay Area.

dogfish
12-27-2010, 04:54 PM
"Call us whatever you want, we're peers in building this football team," McDaniels said of Xanders. "He is absolutely an integral part of every decision we make — and I'll emphasize 'we' — because we don't make any decisions unless we think it's right for the Broncos.

"Sometimes that means it's my idea and then I talk to Brian about some things and then we either watch tape or talk about it more, then we decide it is a good idea. Or some things are his ideas."

- Josh McD

Read more: Broncos coach McDaniels, GM Xanders on same page - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/popular/ci_14451686#ixzz19Lr4X6gd
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Tned
12-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Read more: Broncos coach McDaniels, GM Xanders on same page - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/popular/ci_14451686#ixzz19Lr4X6gd
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Anyone else find it ironic that almost all of our quotes we have to rely on were from McDaniels? That the press didn't access to our full powered, or equal partner, GM Xanders? That the press didn't know a think about Studesville, because he, like other assistants, were not allowed to speak to the press?

Come on guys, McDaniels was in full control, was announcing player moves, wouldn't allow his staff to talk to the press, was clearly a liar in many areas, but in this one area we are going to claim that Josh didn't speak with forketh tongue? :confused:

camdisco24
12-27-2010, 05:14 PM
McDaniels was a control freak.
I'd be ok with giving Xanders one more chance to actually do his job.

jhildebrand
12-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Anyone else find it ironic that almost all of our quotes we have to rely on were from McDaniels? That the press didn't access to our full powered, or equal partner, GM Xanders? That the press didn't know a think about Studesville, because he, like other assistants, were not allowed to speak to the press?

Come on guys, McDaniels was in full control, was announcing player moves, wouldn't allow his staff to talk to the press, was clearly a liar in many areas, but in this one area we are going to claim that Josh didn't speak with forketh tongue? :confused:

That's the point I have been countering you with in the other thread, TNED. Either Josh had true and complete control which seems to make sense and made all the decisions.

But if you buy that, as you seem to, then you have to accept that Xanders was ok being given a title that had nothing to do with what his actual role is with the team. You also have a guy who has allowed all this press to be made about him and not dispute ANY of it EVEN once.

Neither situation reflects well on Xanders! Either he was too weak to stand up to Josh or Josh had all the power but Xanders was too weak to even clarify his real position with the team in the press. Neither situation makes me look at Xanders with confidence when it comes to the GM role.

Dzone
12-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Does anybody have the link to the interview?
Am sure there will be a link on 877theticket.com
Xanders was impressive in the interview, no doubt. Might as well keep him on board

jhildebrand
12-27-2010, 05:46 PM
a guy who admits that McDaniels underminded him and basically worked a way to supercede him is not a guy that seems competent enough to be a true NFL GM.

Tned
12-27-2010, 06:40 PM
That's the point I have been countering you with in the other thread, TNED. Either Josh had true and complete control which seems to make sense and made all the decisions.

But if you buy that, as you seem to, then you have to accept that Xanders was ok being given a title that had nothing to do with what his actual role is with the team. You also have a guy who has allowed all this press to be made about him and not dispute ANY of it EVEN once.

Neither situation reflects well on Xanders! Either he was too weak to stand up to Josh or Josh had all the power but Xanders was too weak to even clarify his real position with the team in the press. Neither situation makes me look at Xanders with confidence when it comes to the GM role.

I disagree. It reflects fine on Xanders. Just like it reflected fine on Sundquist.

Different corporations have different job descriptions for any given title. To date, whenever the Broncos have had someone in a GM type role, it has been limited in scope and not akin to most other NFL teams.

I am not going to think 'less' of a man for doing what his employer tells him to do (obviously, short of that being illegal, etc).

I don't even know how to respond, because this line of reasoning (bolded above) is so ridiculous, there is not much reasonable that can be said.

You are attempting to crucify a man for something he would have been crucified for at the time if he had done. For instance, if he didn't agree with the Quinn trade, do you REALLY, HONESTLY think he should have gone to the press and said, "I want to make clear that I don't make the personnel decisions, Josh does that, I just do the contracts"?

Come on, WTF are you thinking here? :confused:

dogfish
12-27-2010, 07:35 PM

well, show me what better quotes we have to rely on. . .

should we just accept the company line that mcdaniels gets 100% of the blame for personnel and xanders had nothing to do with it? xanders has a lot more motive to lie now than mcdaniels had to lie then. . .

much more to the point, i've never claimed that mcdaniels didn't have the final say on personnel-- i'm well aware that he did. . . that doesn't mean that he had the SOLE say, and i've never heard that claimed before. . . i always assumed that he and xanders worked together, with mcdaniels making the ultimate decisions when they couldn't reach a consensus-- which sounds pretty close to the way mcD described the process in the quotes i posted. . .

i can't tell if you're saying that you really think ellis/xanders is a good front office for us, or if you're just enjoying your standard devil's advocate role, but if you think xanders is a good choice, i'd love to know why. . . even if he's 100% innocent of all the epic personnel blunders over the past two year's worth of ultimate fail, that in and of itself isn't any recommendation for the job. . .

i mean, i wasn't responsible for any of those decisions, either-- that doesn't really qualify me for the job this time, though. . . xanders was at worst the second-in-command when the ship ran up on the rocks-- why should he get a promotion? when the exxon valdez spill happened, i don't remember anyone suggesting the first mate deserved his own captaincy, since he wasn't in charge. . .

Ziggy
12-27-2010, 07:40 PM
The source of all of this is Woody Paige. I'll believe it when it's finalized and not a minute before.

Tned
12-27-2010, 07:47 PM

should we just accept the company line that mcdaniels gets 100% of the blame for personnel and xanders had nothing to do with it? xanders has a lot more motive to lie now than mcdaniels had to lie then. . .

much more to the point, i've never claimed that mcdaniels didn't have the final say on personnel-- i'm well aware that he did. . . that doesn't mean that he had the SOLE say, and i've never heard that claimed before. . . i always assumed that he and xanders worked together, with mcdaniels making the ultimate decisions when they couldn't reach a consensus-- which sounds pretty close to the way mcD described the process in the quotes i posted. . .

i can't tell if you're saying that you really think ellis/xanders is a good front office for us, or if you're just enjoying your standard devil's advocate role, but if you think xanders is a good choice, i'd love to know why. . . even if he's 100% innocent of all the epic personnel blunders over the past two year's worth of ultimate fail, that in and of itself isn't any recommendation for the job. . .

i mean, i wasn't responsible for any of those decisions, either-- that doesn't really qualify me for the job this time, though. . . xanders was at worst the second-in-command when the ship ran up on the rocks-- why should he get a promotion? when the exxon valdez spill happened, i don't remember anyone suggesting the first mate deserved his own captaincy, since he wasn't in charge. . .

No, it isn't a devils advocate thing, it's a human dignity thing. I have trouble crucifying a guy for doing what was clearly his job. The argument being made is that because he didn't go to the press and say, "whaaa, whaaa, McDaniels won't involve me in the decisions" or "they are calling me a GM, but I am not, and I want all Broncos fans to know that McDaniels is making player moves and I am pissed, because my title says I should" that he should be crucified and called ball-less and such.

It's idiotic, that's not the way the world works. If Xanders is told, "this is your role and these are your responsibilities" he does it. That's life, not fandom.

As to Xanders being a good candidate, I have no opinion on that other than I disagree with holding McDaniels moves against Xanders.

G_Money
12-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Xanders did exactly what he was told to do. The power struggle happened between Goodman and McDaniels, and Goodman lost. After that, Xanders did what he was told to do. If he was supposed to ride herd on McDaniels, then the last guy that did it wouldn't have gotten fired.

Xanders was a loyal soldier. As far as I can tell, this is Bowlen's apology and thanks for a job done as requested (even if not well).

Problem is, I don't care if Xanders did what he was supposed to, he's not qualified to do what we're telling him to do NOW: provide input on a head coach and be a GM in more than title.

And if he's just gonna carry Elway's jock and do the fancy legal mumbo-jumbo for him whenever John points at a guy and says, "sign him!" then I don't see why his input is needed on a head coach.

Unless it's to put the idea out there that he's not gonna get run over again by the next head coach.

Just by Elway.

*shrugs*

I'm waiting to see what happens. It just looks to me like the front office will be John's Assistants. As long as they're good assistants, I'm okay with that. But Xanders can't be the only one. John's gonna need some far better scouting help than we've had the last two years, I can tell you that right now.

And again, Xanders isn't qualified.

Having a guy for salary cap mumbo jumbo and fine contract detail work is good.

Just make sure he's not running your film room and scouting department. We need another Goodman for that.

Or a head coach who thinks he has all the answers in that department I guess. That IS our niche... :rolleyes:

~G

Dzone
12-27-2010, 08:05 PM
If people are going to trash Xanders, then at least go to 877theticket.com and listen to this mornings interview with him. You might change your mind. I am much more open to keeping Xanders after I heard him this morning

G_Money
12-27-2010, 08:09 PM
I heard Slowik talk about defense. The guy SOUNDS like he knows what he's talking about.

I heard McDaniels talk for 2 years about tough teams and respect.

Hearing Xanders talk about his job doesn't do anything for me.

But I'll give it a listen anyway. Dammit.

~G

BeefStew25
12-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Deeds not words.

Tned
12-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Xanders did exactly what he was told to do. The power struggle happened between Goodman and McDaniels, and Goodman lost. After that, Xanders did what he was told to do. If he was supposed to ride herd on McDaniels, then the last guy that did it wouldn't have gotten fired.

Xanders was a loyal soldier. As far as I can tell, this is Bowlen's apology and thanks for a job done as requested (even if not well).

Problem is, I don't care if Xanders did what he was supposed to, he's not qualified to do what we're telling him to do NOW: provide input on a head coach and be a GM in more than title.

And if he's just gonna carry Elway's jock and do the fancy legal mumbo-jumbo for him whenever John points at a guy and says, "sign him!" then I don't see why his input is needed on a head coach.

Unless it's to put the idea out there that he's not gonna get run over again by the next head coach.

Just by Elway.

*shrugs*

I'm waiting to see what happens. It just looks to me like the front office will be John's Assistants. As long as they're good assistants, I'm okay with that. But Xanders can't be the only one. John's gonna need some far better scouting help than we've had the last two years, I can tell you that right now.

And again, Xanders isn't qualified.

Having a guy for salary cap mumbo jumbo and fine contract detail work is good.

Just make sure he's not running your film room and scouting department. We need another Goodman for that.

Or a head coach who thinks he has all the answers in that department I guess. That IS our niche... :rolleyes:

~G

No arguments on your points as to whether or not he's qualified, and like you said, Xanders was clearly doing what he was told to do.

On Elway, I'm pretty sure he said he wasn't interested in doing the traditional GM work, player evaluation, player moves, etc. I could be wrong, but I believe that's what he said a couple weeks ago.

So, that leads me to believe they will either bring in a peronnel guy, or Xanders will do it on his own, with input from others. I'm real curious to see where this shakes out.

dogfish
12-27-2010, 08:35 PM
So, that leads me to believe they will either bring in a peronnel guy, or Xanders will do it on his own, with input from others. I'm real curious to see where this shakes out.

this is my problem. . . i'm afraid xanders will have to do it. . . the way they're structuring the front office, what quality personnel guy will want to come here and be third man on the totem pole behind elway and xanders? does anyone think a top candidate like scott pioli would have come here just to be director of player personnel or director of scouting? no way. . .

i think the best candidates will undoubtedly be holding out for real general manager jobs, not making some type of lateral move to a different organization. . . which probably leaves us with xanders by default-- "new front office, same as the old front office". . .

Tned
12-27-2010, 08:56 PM
this is my problem. . . i'm afraid xanders will have to do it. . . the way they're structuring the front office, what quality personnel guy will want to come here and be third man on the totem pole behind elway and xanders? does anyone think a top candidate like scott pioli would have come here just to be director of player personnel or director of scouting? no way. . .

i think the best candidates will undoubtedly be holding out for real general manager jobs, not making some type of lateral move to a different organization. . . which probably leaves us with xanders by default-- "new front office, same as the old front office". . .

Nope, it would have to be some young guy like when Xanders came here from Atlanta and come in a personnel role. That said, if what Paige said is true, then I think it's more likley they are going to give Xanders a shot in that role.

GEM
12-27-2010, 09:35 PM

Dog....if it makes you feel better, I had Las Delicias for lunch today and it was delish!!

dogfish
12-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Dog....if it makes you feel better, I had Las Delicias for lunch today and it was delish!!

doesn't make me feel any better about the broncos, but i am glad you had a good lunch. . .

:laugh:

did you go to the original location on 19th, or the one on colorado?

GEM
12-27-2010, 09:57 PM
doesn't make me feel any better about the broncos, but i am glad you had a good lunch. . .

:laugh:

did you go to the original location on 19th, or the one on colorado?

19th in Uptown. Nice place, hadn't been there before.

dogfish
12-27-2010, 10:03 PM
19th in Uptown. Nice place, hadn't been there before.

that's the one i used to eat at when i first started going to las D. . . i go to the colorado one most of the time now. . .

next time you're in that area, try la pasadita on 19th and park ave. . . total hole in the wall, but their food is bomb. . .

GEM
12-27-2010, 10:17 PM
that's the one i used to eat at when i first started going to las D. . . i go to the colorado one most of the time now. . .

next time you're in that area, try la pasadita on 19th and park ave. . . total hole in the wall, but their food is bomb. . .

That's a couple blocks from work, will give it a try sometime this week. :D

dogfish
12-27-2010, 10:17 PM
That's a couple blocks from work, will give it a try sometime this week. :D

nice one!

ydave77
12-28-2010, 11:06 AM
No, it isn't a devils advocate thing, it's a human dignity thing. I have trouble crucifying a guy for doing what was clearly his job. The argument being made is that because he didn't go to the press and say, "whaaa, whaaa, McDaniels won't involve me in the decisions" or "they are calling me a GM, but I am not, and I want all Broncos fans to know that McDaniels is making player moves and I am pissed, because my title says I should" that he should be crucified and called ball-less and such.

It's idiotic, that's not the way the world works. If Xanders is told, "this is your role and these are your responsibilities" he does it. That's life, not fandom.

As to Xanders being a good candidate, I have no opinion on that other than I disagree with holding McDaniels moves against Xanders.

I guess some of us may be confusing the line between saying he isnt a bad choice, and saying he is a good choice. You are pointing out that he doesnt have any negatives to his candidacy, while I want to know what positives he has.
His time with the falcons has been described as mainly a cap guy. When he came here, Bowlen knew his "GM" would always be subservient to the coach, in terms of personnnel, bc that was our operational pattern. So having a strong background in personnel was less important.

I want either an experienced GM, or the second in command of a team successful in the draft (IE Ravens, Pitt, etc).

Tned
12-28-2010, 02:57 PM
I guess some of us may be confusing the line between saying he isnt a bad choice, and saying he is a good choice. You are pointing out that he doesnt have any negatives to his candidacy, while I want to know what positives he has.
His time with the falcons has been described as mainly a cap guy. When he came here, Bowlen knew his "GM" would always be subservient to the coach, in terms of personnnel, bc that was our operational pattern. So having a strong background in personnel was less important.

I want either an experienced GM, or the second in command of a team successful in the draft (IE Ravens, Pitt, etc).

Dave,

My main issue is that the criticism some are levying about him not publicly distancing himself from McDaniels by telling the press that McD was making all the decisions is asinine at best. It isn't the way business works, National Football League business or other business.

That aside, unless he's a bold-faced liar, and Bowlen is the stupidest billionaire in the world, and Ellis learned nothing in his 27+ years working for the NFL league office or the Broncos, you guys are simply wrong about Xanders resume.

Everyone keeps saying he is nothing but a numbers guy (contract/cap) and that's all he did in Atlanta. That appears not to be the case. Listen to when Vic and Gary ask him that direct question, because they hear the fans yapping about him just being a cap expert.

http://www.877theticket.com/page.php?inf_user_session=ef923c5561110cdd495f5574 33f4515f#

You can jump ahead to about 4:45 if you want to skip the Tebow talk and to the point where they ask about his career and what he's done.