PDA

View Full Version : Beating Texans Didn't Cost Broncos #2 Pick

OrangeHoof
12-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks to Cincinnati's win over the Chuggers, the Broncos were able to enjoy a late-season win without costing them the #2 pick overall in next spring's draft.

The Broncos, Bengals and Bills are all at 4-11 but the Broncos win the strength-of-schedule tie-breaker since they play in the weak AFC West and their schedule includes the WAC-like NFC West as their interconference foes.

Denver's SOS is currently at .508
Cincinnati's SOS is currently at .580
Buffalo's SOS is currently at .582

which means that a loss at home to San Diego next Sunday assures them of the #2 overall pick while a win might cause them to fall as far as sixth depending on other results.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks to Cincinnati's win over the Chuggers, the Broncos were able to enjoy a late-season win without costing them the #2 pick overall in next spring's draft.

The Broncos, Bengals and Bills are all at 4-11 but the Broncos win the strength-of-schedule tie-breaker since they play in the weak AFC West and their schedule includes the WAC-like NFC West as their interconference foes.

Denver's SOS is currently at .508
Cincinnati's SOS is currently at .580
Buffalo's SOS is currently at .582

which means that a loss at home to San Diego next Sunday assures them of the #2 overall pick while a win might cause them to fall as far as sixth depending on other results.

The question will be, will the Sparklers mail it in with nothing left to play for? Tebow and the Broncos are going to play to win at home, I worry the Sparklers won't. Not that I'd be upset with another win, but I would love to be at #2 overall and really being able to have our choice of the best defensive talent.

BigDaddyBronco
12-27-2010, 10:24 AM
So, if Luck doesn't come out this year who does Carolina take? Bowers?

OrangeHoof
12-27-2010, 10:27 AM
But be careful what you wish for. You have to go all the way back to 2002 (Julius Peppers) to find an overall #2 draft choice who has earned multiple Pro Bowl selections:

2010: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska, Lions
2009: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor, Rams
2008: Chris Long, DE, Virginia, Rams
2007: Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech, Lions
2006: Reggie Bush, RB, USC, Saints
2005: Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn, Dolphins
2004: Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa, Raiders
2003: Charles Rogers, WR, Michigan St., Lions
2002: Julius Pepper, DE, North Carolina, Panthers

Not that this is a bad list by any means but some haven't been the future Hall-of-Famers we might have expected when they were drafted.

BigSarge87
12-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Seems like a win-win for us. Letting optimism prevail...

If we lose, we get a great pick that will likely fill a huge need for our franchise for years to come. If we win, it means Tebow had another great game, we finish our season with promise for next year, and we still get a good (less expensive) pick that will help our team for years to come.

Beat the Chargers!

Nomad
12-27-2010, 10:33 AM

Here's this guys opinion!!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/548649-2011-nfl-mock-draft-if-andrew-luck-goes-back-to-stanford-whos-no-1

NightTrainLayne
12-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Seems like a win-win for us. Letting optimism prevail...

If we lose, we get a great pick that will likely fill a huge need for our franchise for years to come. If we win, it means Tebow had another great game, we finish our season with promise for next year, and we still get a good (less expensive) pick that will help our team for years to come.

Beat the Chargers!

I agree with this, it's not really bad news either way.

But I know one thing. The Tebow-led Broncos will not go down without one Hell of a fight.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold a pale Bronco
And his name that sat on it was Tebow
And Hell followed with him

frenchfan
12-27-2010, 11:31 AM
May be we will trade down to add more pics (we have only 6) or we will trade Orton to do that... Bowers or not, it seems there are some good talent for our front 7 anyway ;)

BigDaddyBronco
12-27-2010, 11:38 AM
I would love it if they were able to trade down. It just doesn't happen that ofter. The cost of the higher picks in both money and draft picks makes it unlikely that any team will want to jump up to get the #2 pick.

BeefStew25
12-27-2010, 11:39 AM
I would love it if they were able to trade down. It just doesn't happen that ofter. The cost of the higher picks in both money and draft picks makes it unlikely that any team will want to jump up to get the #2 pick.

Unless they knock out a CBA. Which would be a good year for that to happen (for us).

BigDaddyBronco
12-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Unless they knock out a CBA. Which would be a good year for that to happen (for us).

Good point, this would be the best time ever to have a rookie salary cap.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-27-2010, 11:44 AM

Supposedly, a new CBA will have to be worked out before the new draft class can sign their contracts if there's a lock-out (there will still be a draft, regardless). In that new CBA, both the players and owners appear to be in favor of a rookie draft pick pay scale that cuts rookie salaries tremendously so the owners can pay vets and retirees more and give them better benefits.

I think the whole Jawalrus Russel scenario has left a bad taste in both the players' and owners' mouths. I expect it to be easier to trade down because the big payout won't be anywhere near as high for top draft picks anymore. That's the rumor, anyway. It's one of the few things the owners and players agree on...

BeefStew25
12-27-2010, 11:45 AM
At the sake of the owners adding 2 more games, which pretty much everyone besides them thinks is a lame idea.

BigDaddyBronco
12-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Supposedly, a new CBA will have to be worked out before the new draft class can sign their contracts if there's a lock-out (there will still be a draft, regardless). In that new CBA, both the players and owners appear to be in favor of a rookie draft pick pay scale that cuts rookie salaries tremendously so the owners can pay vets and retirees more and give them better benefits.

I think the whole Jawalrus Russel scenario has left a bad taste in both the players' and owners' mouths. I expect it to be easier to trade down because the big payout won't be anywhere near as high for top draft picks anymore. That's the rumor, anyway. It's one of the few things the owners and players agree on...

It still doesn't change the draft value board and the fact that a team has to give up much of it's draft to move up a few spaces in the top five. I would bust a nut if someone did a Ricky Williams with us.

BeefStew25
12-27-2010, 11:47 AM
I would bust a nut if someone did a Ricky Williams with us.

OMG I would fly out to you if that happened.

BigDaddyBronco
12-27-2010, 11:52 AM
OMG I would fly out to you if that happened.

It would be Peter North epic.

BeefStew25
12-27-2010, 12:03 PM
It would be Peter North epic.

Lets plan on that if it happens. Any maybe grab some fry bread afterwards.

BigDaddyBronco
12-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Lets plan on that if it happens. Any maybe grab some fry bread afterwards.

I'm sure Gizzie has had many Indian Taco's in his time.

BeefStew25
12-27-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm sure Gizzie has had many Indian Taco's in his time.

Oh yeah. He dated a Navajo for awhile. Things went south quickly though, as he was dragging his feet on building her a kiva.

BigDaddyBronco
12-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Oh yeah. He dated a Navajo for awhile. Things went south quickly though, as he was dragging his feet on building her a kiva.
Yea I wouldn't want any part of building a traditional building. Cliff dwelling, kiva, hogan....

dogfish
12-27-2010, 01:56 PM
It still doesn't change the draft value board and the fact that a team has to give up much of it's draft to move up a few spaces in the top five. I would bust a nut if someone did a Ricky Williams with us.

there's no rule requiring teams to go by that value chart, though. . . if we're stuck at #2, i'd take less value than what the chart suggests to move down. . . we should be able to drop to the 5-10 range and still have a shot at marcell dareus i'm guessing, but if he and fairley are gone we could target JJ watt. . .

who am i kidding, though? xanders will probably draft julio jones. . .

Rex
12-27-2010, 01:59 PM

Wait. Beef doesnt have his mock ready yet.

BeefStew25
12-27-2010, 02:00 PM
I really like Julio Jones.

I guess it is because I like when black dudes have Latin first names.

BeefStew25
12-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Wait. Beef doesnt have his mock ready yet.

Interview all the big DT's. Tell each one that there is a rumor their mom turned tricks. The one that kills or maims the interviewee is the one we pick.

Rex
12-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Interview all the big DT's. Tell each one that there is a rumor their mom turned tricks. The one that kills or maims the interviewee is the one we pick.

Wait. Did Dez Bryant maim anyone?

BigDaddyBronco
12-27-2010, 02:03 PM
No he said, "Yea that's right, but damn, do you have to be such a ***** about it?".

BeefStew25
12-27-2010, 02:03 PM

No, but that is good because you don't want your WR's to flip out. Do you want your DT's to though.

BroncoNut
12-27-2010, 02:05 PM
I really like Julio Jones.

I guess it is because I like when black dudes have Latin first names.

Juan Dixon anybody?

BeefStew25
12-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Juan Dixon anybody?

Yeah.

Pedro Martinez and Manny Ramirez are some others.

BroncoNut
12-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Yeah.

Pedro Martinez and Manny Ramirez are some others.

those 2 might actullly be, and probably are, Latino. some Latino people can indeed look African descent. the telling trait is the fro, i think. One extra protein in hair of African blacks. that's why there is the "fro"

BeefStew25
12-27-2010, 02:11 PM
those 2 might actullly be, and probably are, Latino. some Latino people can indeed look African descent. the telling trait is the fro, i think. One extra protein in hair of African blacks. that's why there is the "fro"

Is that what they mean when they say non-Caucasian Hispanic?

So what is Ricky Martin?

BroncoNut
12-27-2010, 02:12 PM

So what is Ricky Martin?
pretty gay from what I've heard

BroncoNut
12-27-2010, 02:15 PM

So what is Ricky Martin?

I may be wrong, but latinos aren't caucasian so I don't see where that would even apply. that makes as much sense to me as saying noncaucasian black/African descent

BeefStew25
12-27-2010, 02:16 PM
I may be wrong, but latinos aren't caucasian so I don't see where that would even apply. that makes as much sense to me as saying noncaucasian black/African descent

I think they can be Nut. WHat about Spain and Portugal and the hot blonde Mexicans on Sabado Gigante?

BroncoNut
12-27-2010, 02:21 PM
I think they can be Nut. WHat about Spain and Portugal and the hot blonde Mexicans on Sabado Gigante?

Portuguese and Spaniards have more melanin in their skin as many Mediterraninan people do (Italians, Greeks, etc). so in general, they have darker complexions. the Spaniards and Portuguese are not considered latino though. Spain conquered the Mayans and Aztec kingdoms and infused their genetics into what are today's Mexicans, but it is really the South American Race that qualifies the Mexicans as Latino. Again, I may be wrong.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-27-2010, 02:28 PM

I really think it has wayyyyy less to do with that than where they were born. You can be black and be from say Cuba, or the Dominican Republic and have a Hispanic name. Many slaves sought refuge in the Caribbean during the times of slavery and that's why there are so many blacks in the Caribbean (like Jamaica and Haiti), but almost all of the other islands out there were at one time Spanish colonies. Being a black man named "Pedro Martinez" down there is just like being an Asian named John Smith in the USA.

IIRC, "hispanics" that actually came from Spain actually do have some African lineage from the many years of being under the control of the Moors from Northern Africa, but as far as I know being "Hispanic" is still not really it's own race (we make it one in the US when dealing with discrimination, but I don't think it really is) and is considered Caucasian as is being Italian or Greek who also have many of the same features as those of Spanish descent.

BroncoNut
12-27-2010, 02:33 PM
I really think it has wayyyyy less to do with that than where they were born. You can be black and be from say Cuba, or the Dominican Republic and have a Hispanic name. Many slaves sought refuge in the Caribbean during the times of slavery and that's why there are so many blacks in the Caribbean (like Jamaica and Haiti), but almost all of the other islands out there were at one time Spanish colonies. Being a black man named "Pedro Martinez" down there is just like being an Asian named John Smith in the USA.

IIRC, "hispanics" that actually came from Spain actually do have some African lineage from the many years of being under the control of the Moors from Northern Africa, but as far as I know being "Hispanic" is still not really it's own race (we make it one in the US when dealing with discrimination, but I don't think it really is) and is considered Caucasian as is being Italian or Greek who also have many of the same features as those of Spanish descent.

yeah, like I said, I dont' really know. Egtyptians, although in Africa are considered Arab rather than African I think also.

but yeah, people surviviving in hotter climates, generally have higher levels of melanin

PAINTERDAVE
12-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Portuguese and Spaniards have more melanin in their skin as many Mediterraninan people do (Italians, Greeks, etc). so in general, they have darker complexions. the Spaniards and Portuguese are not considered latino though. Spain conquered the Mayans and Aztec kingdoms and infused their genetics into what are today's Mexicans, but it is really the South American Race that qualifies the Mexicans as Latino. Again, I may be wrong.

Yes. You are wrong.

Latino - from the language of Latin - Rome. Latin is the base language of English, Spanish and French.

The indgenous natives of the South American continent are indian.
The Spanish who came from Europe are hispanic-latino from the mediteranean area.

The blend of Europeans and Indios is mestizo... and many Mexican Nationals are mestizo. A lot of the wealthy Mexicans proudly trace their Latin blood lines to Spain... and some are blue eyed blondes. They look down their noses at the mixed race Mestizos and the indios. Add in some blacks from the african slave trade... Mexico is often called the "bronze" nation.

As far as the African continent... there are over 50 countries on it.
Divide it into two parts. There is a HUGE Sahara Desert in a broad band across the upper middle of the continent. Sub-saharan Africa (south of the Sahara) is made up of indigenous people with very dark skin. Northern Africa has a melange of races influenced by centuries of Mediteranean cultures. Greece, Egypt, Rome, the barabarian hordes, teh Arab conquest by Mohomad, clear back to the Carthaginians. You see... they are on the southern part of the Mediteranean.... yet seperated from the southern half of the continent by the huge desert.

Many countries in Africa were colonized by European powers... so add in many Caucasion people throughout... often in the more developed regions. South Africa is an example of the colonization and it's effect.

More than you ever wanted to know... just off the top of my head.

Day1BroncoFan
12-27-2010, 02:53 PM
All that happened because we beat the Texans? Wow, who would have thought.

OrangeHoof
12-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Wait. Is Tebow a Latino? What about Moreno? This is so confusing.

Day1BroncoFan
12-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Wait. Is Tebow a Latino? What about Moreno? This is so confusing.

Tebow is a stud and Moreno is a goner. :D