PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 24, Texans 23: Three Observations

DenBronx
12-27-2010, 12:40 AM
Broncos 24, Texans 23: Three Observations
By Andrew Mason

1. THE COMEBACK.

Tim Tebow’s first half was what you might expect from a rookie making his second career start — it was dominated by screen passes, handoffs, checkdowns and inconsistency. At some moments he looked splendid, as he did on a left side, third-down rollout where he found Eddie Royal for 13 yards. At others, he struggled, particularly on an end-zone fade to Brandon Lloyd that he threw inside for an interception and ascreen pass to Jabar Gaffney that was thrown high, forcing Gaffney to leap and absorb a wallop from Houston defensive back Jason Allen.

In the second half, everything changed. The short passes were replaced by bold bombs, beginning on the second play of the third quarter, when Tebow found Gaffney deep ahead of two defenders for a 50-yard gain. Tebow still looked to short passes, but they became big gains as the Texans were forced to pull back their defense to account for the deep threat of Gaffney and Lloyd, who leapt for a 41-yard reception that set up a field goal. With the deep ball in play and the running game churning up yardage, Tebow could use play-action, and the pieces of Denver’s offense were in place.

Read more: http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/12/26/broncos-24-texans-23-three-observations/

Jake Klug
12-27-2010, 12:46 AM
Id take Kubiak in a heartbeat.

GEM
12-27-2010, 12:56 AM
Id take Kubiak in a heartbeat.

I'd take the lineup we are looking at:

Elway as the stand in between Bowlen and McEllis.
Kubes as head coach.
Nolan type as DC.
?? as OC.
Bring back Goodman for personnel.

I'm good with going with Denver guys to get back to Denver football. Just make sure to go with the updated business model and shorter term contracts to make sure that it goes in the right direction.

DenBronx
12-27-2010, 01:01 AM

Kubes as head coach.
Nolan type as DC.
?? as OC.

I'm good with going with Denver guys to get back to Denver football. Just make sure to go with the updated business model and shorter term contracts to make sure that it goes in the right direction.

Do you think Nolan would leave and come back after we let him walk? Isn't he under contract now?

Singletary might not be a bad DC. He did very well in Balt and knows both 3-4/4-3 defenses. Would be much better than a Wade Phillips.

GEM
12-27-2010, 01:04 AM
Do you think Nolan would leave and come back after we let him walk? Isn't he under contract now?

Singletary might not be a bad DC. He did very well in Balt and knows both 3-4/4-3 defenses. Would be much better than a Wade Phillips.

It looks like there is going to be coaching changes in MIA. He may since McDoofus is gone. Who knows.

I said a Nolan type. If we can't get him, someone like him. Someone who is hard nosed on the D, take no shit.

I could get on board with Singletary, San Fran's issue isn't D, it's O. I think he would be good in a just Defense capacity.

No thanks on Phillips.

atwater27
12-27-2010, 01:09 AM
I'd give both nuts for the goodmans back...

Jake Klug
12-27-2010, 01:17 AM

Kubes as head coach.
Nolan type as DC.
?? as OC.

Gem, Id prefer Wade Phillips but Id be down with Nolan too. Id have Dennison as the OC. As of a couple of weeks ago, Houston was ranked 7th in rushing and 7th in passing. I want to get back to an offense thats good at using both fists. Id like the Goodman's to right a wrong but Id have a slight reservation regarding them drafting for the 3-4.

tripleoption
12-27-2010, 01:19 AM
I like the idea of Singletary as DC. He's paid his dues, he's a knowledgeable coach, and I do think he'd have the respect of the players right away. He won't put up with stupid crap.

Jake Klug
12-27-2010, 01:20 AM
It looks like there is going to be coaching changes in MIA. He may since McDoofus is gone. Who knows.

I said a Nolan type. If we can't get him, someone like him. Someone who is hard nosed on the D, take no shit.

I could get on board with Singletary, San Fran's issue isn't D, it's O. I think he would be good in a just Defense capacity.

No thanks on Phillips.

Gem, the thing about Phillips is, A- He's good, and B- He's already been a head coach 3 times. The odds of him being content just being a DC like Dick LeBeau or Joe Collier is decent. Nolan and Singletary have both had one stint as HCs and may want to take another crack at it.

GEM
12-27-2010, 01:22 AM
Gem, Id prefer Wade Phillips but Id be down with Nolan too. Id have Dennison as the OC. As of a couple of weeks ago, Houston was ranked 7th in rushing and 7th in passing. I want to get back to an offense thats good at using both fists. Id like the Goodman's to right a wrong but Id have a slight reservation regarding them drafting for the 3-4.

I just have no faith in Phillips long term anywhere. He goes soft, becoming too much a player's guy in long term situations. This Defense needs some serious ass kicking and name taking. I don't think Phillips has the kahunas to do what needs to be done there. I think we have some talent there, but that those players need some serious discipline. I want some longevity on that side of the ball in the coaching department so that we don't have anymore of the carousel that we've had the last decade.

Jake Klug
12-27-2010, 01:27 AM
I just have no faith in Phillips long term anywhere. He goes soft, becoming too much a player's guy in long term situations. This Defense needs some serious ass kicking and name taking. I don't think Phillips has the kahunas to do what needs to be done there. I think we have some talent there, but that those players need some serious discipline. I want some longevity on that side of the ball in the coaching department so that we don't have anymore of the carousel that we've had the last decade.

I think we can all agree on that. But I also think we can all agree on needing competent guys and not ploys to ensure some incompetent head coaches job security. This thing needs to be a collaborative effort with a lot of good people.

If they brought in DeCosta to be the GM, there might be a couple of guys as DC candidates from the Jets or Ravens. This also wouldnt be bad.

GEM
12-27-2010, 01:30 AM
I think we can all agree on that. But I also think we can all agree on needing competent guys and not ploys to ensure some incompetent head coaches job security. This thing needs to be a collaborative effort with a lot of good people.

If they brought in DeCosta to be the GM, there might be a couple of guys as DC candidates from the Jets or Ravens. This also wouldnt be bad.

I have liked the talk I have seen on DeCosta. I just want some great coaches, no more unprovens with bright ideas. Give me some solid history and proof in the pudding types. Completely agree that it needs to be collaborative and not bits and pieced together. We need all around good from top to bottom to right the ship that McDoofus sunk.

Jake Klug
12-27-2010, 01:38 AM
I have liked the talk I have seen on DeCosta. I just want some great coaches, no more unprovens with bright ideas. Give me some solid history and proof in the pudding types. Completely agree that it needs to be collaborative and not bits and pieced together. We need all around good from top to bottom to right the ship that McDoofus sunk.

Well, Im not sure what you mean by "not bits and pieced together" because thats kind of what collaboration is. But I agree with most everything else. My slight reservation about DeCosta is that its more Newsome than DeCosta, even though I kind of think its the other way around...that Newsome has relied on DeCosta since DeCosta is closer to where the evaluations are initially taking place. But if you attribute Baltimores personnel to DeCosta, the guy's been a gold mine for talent. But I also like your idea of the Goodmans.

silkamilkamonico
12-27-2010, 03:18 AM
Kubiak for OC and Singletary for DC. IMHO we would be selling this organization short, far short, if either one of them were hired to be HC.

dogfish
12-27-2010, 03:44 AM
singletary is exactly the kind of DC you wouldn't want to hire along with kubiak. . . mike's a rah-rah guy, not an X's and O's guy-- he's never even been a defensive coordinator. . .

san fran's DC, greg manusky, might be a better hire than samurai mike, as much as i like the guy. . .

atwater27
12-27-2010, 09:12 AM
singletary is exactly the kind of DC you wouldn't want to hire along with kubiak. . . mike's a rah-rah guy, not an X's and O's guy-- he's never even been a defensive coordinator. . .

san fran's DC, greg manusky, might be a better hire than samurai mike, as much as i like the guy. . .

agreed. Singletary can't coach his way out of a paper bag.

OrangeHoof
12-27-2010, 10:56 AM
I don't think the defense needs an ass-kicking as much as they need better players. I don't see them as lazy. I see them as just not very good. A few of them used to be good but they're old now and some of them just never were that good to start with. If we get Doom back next year at 100%, that will be the first big upgrade.