PDA

View Full Version : Broncos coach Eric Studesville earns deserved victory over Texans

Denver Native (Carol)
12-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Eric Studesville will have his place in Broncos history.

It will be a small place. Maybe the size equivalent of a storage room.

But Studesville will have a won-loss record in the team's coaching annals and there it will say he won.

There must be football gods somewhere because given the circumstances Studesville encountered when he became the Broncos' interim coach, he deserved the 24-23 victory Sunday against the Houston Texans.

"Like Mr. Bowlen said after the game, he's not a virgin anymore," said Broncos running back Correll Buckhalter.

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen is expected to name John Elway as his new vice president of football operations after the season. Soon thereafter, Elway is expected to help Bowlen, general manager Brian Xanders and chief operating officer Joe Ellis find a new head coach.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16947904?source=rss

Denver Native (Carol)
12-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Is it fair to assume if this article is correct, and John becomes Vice President of Football Operations, that he would be between Bowlen and Ellis? If so, then what I had heard previously would be correct.

Tned
12-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Is it fair to assume if this article is correct, and John becomes Vice President of Football Operations, that he would be between Bowlen and Ellis? If so, then what I had heard previously would be correct.

Without knowing the exact organizational structure, it's hard to say. I would expect VP of Football to either be under the COO or they would both report to Bowlen/Board of directors in a side-by-side relationship. Meaning, certain departments would be under VP of FB and others under COO.

I imagine we will find out soon if this report is true.

tripleoption
12-27-2010, 12:02 AM
You know, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and defend Studes. :peep: One important factor that I think has really been overlooked these past three weeks is experience. I was looking at the Gameday program that was handed out today at the stadium, and I saw some numbers that really stood out to me about the coaching staff concerning years experience in the NFL, and certain things dawned on me. According to the program I was reading, Studesville has never been a head coach or coordinator at the NFL level. Martindale is in his first season as a DC at the NFL level, McCoy is in his second season as OC at the NFL level, and Priefer is in his second season as STC at the NFL level. That gives you five years of coordinating/HC experience among the top four coaches. On top of that, the staff was shaken up with the firing of McD and Studesville has been put in a really tough position.
The other staffs they have gone against, as far as I know, have been working together much longer and have far more experience at the NFL level, so they're behind the curve to begin with. You can't overlook experience on a staff at any level, whether it be HS, college or the NFL. Does it mean I like everything they've done? Heck no. Does it mean I think Studesville should be the next HC for the Broncos? Definitely not. I'm just saying he and the staff have been put in a tough position and it's my humble opinion that it's probably a small miracle they've been competitive and hung in there as a staff.

BroncoStud
12-27-2010, 06:34 AM
I have to admit, once they decided to let open the offense up and actually try for a win, they did a pretty good job. McCoy's playcalling got a LOT better in the 2nd half, and it was great in some places.

I still think STUDES, Wink, and McCoy are bums, but for 1 half of 1 week, they lived the dream.

Dzone
12-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Studs has impressed. The way he has handled himself. For people who can recognize the quality of leadership, well, you know he has it. He is gregarious and charismatic in his own way. He deserves a serious look. Sometimes a head coaches main job is to lead others by the sheer force of his personality. He has kept this team pointed in the right direction during dire circumstances. If we beat the Chargers Sunday, how hard will it be to fire him?

BroncoStud
12-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Studs has impressed. The way he has handled himself. For people who can recognize the quality of leadership, well, you know he has it. He is gregarious and charismatic in his own way. He deserves a serious look. Sometimes a head coaches main job is to lead others by the sheer force of his personality. He has kept this team pointed in the right direction during dire circumstances. If we beat the Chargers Sunday, how hard will it be to fire him?

It will be EASY. He may or may not have a good future ahead of him in the NFL but he isn't going to be the next HC of the Denver Broncos.

Traveler
12-27-2010, 09:03 AM
You know, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and defend Studes. :peep: One important factor that I think has really been overlooked these past three weeks is experience. I was looking at the Gameday program that was handed out today at the stadium, and I saw some numbers that really stood out to me about the coaching staff concerning years experience in the NFL, and certain things dawned on me. According to the program I was reading, Studesville has never been a head coach or coordinator at the NFL level. Martindale is in his first season as a DC at the NFL level, McCoy is in his second season as OC at the NFL level, and Priefer is in his second season as STC at the NFL level. That gives you five years of coordinating/HC experience among the top four coaches. On top of that, the staff was shaken up with the firing of McD and Studesville has been put in a really tough position.
The other staffs they have gone against, as far as I know, have been working together much longer and have far more experience at the NFL level, so they're behind the curve to begin with. You can't overlook experience on a staff at any level, whether it be HS, college or the NFL. Does it mean I like everything they've done? Heck no. Does it mean I think Studesville should be the next HC for the Broncos? Definitely not. I'm just saying he and the staff have been put in a tough position and it's my humble opinion that it's probably a small miracle they've been competitive and hung in there as a staff.

Nice post! I mentioned earlier this year there really wasn't anyone in the FO or coaching staff with much experience at all the leadership positions

Xanders- GM without final personnel authority -2 yrs
McDaniels- HC- 2 yrs
McCoy- OC in name only-2 yrs
Martindale- DC- 2yrs

Recipe for disaster since no one the staff had enough experience to right this sinking ship before and after McDaniels got fired.

Rick
12-27-2010, 10:06 AM
I am glad broncos got the win but I give it to the players that rallied and made plays.

Every time I hear Studes speak I just get an impression of a guy who just has no idea what the hell he is doing. I believe he relies on the other coaches to completely run their section not out of respect but because he can't do it and knows it.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

OrangeHoof
12-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Congrats to Studs.

As for the inexperience of the coaching staff, not many experienced coaches are going to stand for having some high school kid as their boss. The remaining coaches all had to be guys who wanted the job title badly enough to put up with Boy Genius calling the shots.

tripleoption
12-27-2010, 11:06 AM
I am glad broncos got the win but I give it to the players that rallied and made plays.

Agreed on that point. For the most part, especially in the first half, I felt that the Broncos were being outcoached. In the end though, I think the Texans made the biggest coaching error in the game when they tried to throw the ball and it was tipped and intercepted. They were in field goal range as their kicker had been a beast kicking the ball all day, so I expected them to run the ball, eat clock, then let their kicker win it for them. I'm still scratching my head on that one. The only thing I could think is that they wanted to score a TD so if the Broncos got the ball back they'd have to drive for a TD instead of winning with a FG. If I were Kubes, I'd have eaten up clock running the ball, kicked the FG, and challenged the rookie QB on the other sideline to see if he could win the game with less than a minute on the clock.