PDA

View Full Version : IAOFM - Gut Reactions - Week 16, Broncos-Texans

itsalloverfatman
12-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Gut Reactions - Week 16, Broncos-Texans

TJ "The Dude" Johnson Dec 26, 2010 8:02 PM

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5242/5295218204_33a22a0994_m.jpg And God said, "Let there be two halves."

How could the Broncos look so bad in the 1st half and so good in the 2nd?

They let their quarterback play one on TV.

The first half was one of screens (slip, bubble, running back, silver?). The Broncos' coaching staff either didn't trust their young quarterback or they simply wanted to continue to take his development as slowly as possible. Did they realize they were facing the league's worst defense in the Houston Texans?

The 17-0 deficit was actually a blessing in disguise. It forced the Broncos' coaches to finally unleash the Tebow. In the 2nd half, they had no other choice.

Tim Tebow may be a lot of things (young, inexperienced, and still under development), but there's one thing he's not--boring. He gave the Broncos energy today. Energy to burn.

We can temper our excitement knowing that the Texans probably should have won; we can temper our excitement knowing that the coaching staff coached like zombies and shut it down in the first half; we can even temper our excitement knowing this team is one of the worst in Broncos history.

But today, the Broncos won--there's even proof of it.

Let's get to the Positives, the Negatives, and the Who The Heck Knows?

The Positives

1) A three-and-out on each of the first two series for Denver's defense was nice to see. I'm sure it's happened earlier this year, but I'm having a hard time remembering when. We knew the good times wouldn't last, of course, but it was refreshing--for a least 10 minutes. And a defensive stand to win the game is a defensive stand to win the game, whether it comes from a tipped pass or not.

2) Mike McCoy's screen-pass call and two slip-screen calls early on were a good way to get Tebow into the flow of the game. That said, continuing them incessantly was madness.

3) Tebow used his feet to avoid several sacks today that would have put down most quarterbacks. He also throws well on the move, as one would expect. He's practiced these kinds of plays all his life. He was also an absolute gamer in the 2nd half. The guy must get bored until the pressure is on.

4) If Brandon Lloyd doesn't make the Pro Bowl, Broncos fans should go postal--namely, they should send the NFL an avalanche of postcards pleading Lloyd's case. And you thought I meant something else, didn't you?

5) I don't mind Tebow throwing the ball up for grabs to Lloyd. Kyle Orton's been doing it all year long. When Orton does it, it's called "giving your receiver a chance." When Tebow does it's called being "careless with the football." It's a double standard, but get used to it until the Broncos start winning with Tebow a lot more.

6) What's better than calling yet another predictable screen pass? Calling a double screen, that's what!

7) Correll Buckhalter did the jitterbug today. I just did a double take. Where the hell has that been all year?

8) The Broncos were 5 of 11 today on 3rd downs. It's been awhile since they were over 40%. You can pick your jaw up off of the floor. The Texans, for their part, were only 1 for 8.

9) Wesley Woodyard got burned in pass coverage (see Negatives below), but there's no doubt the guy is a tackling machine. Today he led the team in both tackles and assists. He's earned another start next week. If the Broncos play a 4-3 front next year, his stock just went up.

10) Eric Studesville got a Gatorade bath with water bottles. I suppose that's better than no bath at all.

Continued at IAOFM (http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/gut-reactions-week-16-broncos-texans)

broncofaninfla
12-26-2010, 08:49 PM
I'll be happy if we NEVER see another bubble screen called by Denver.....EVER!!!

Lonestar
12-26-2010, 09:18 PM
I must say that today I was not happy with either Woodyard as he whiffed on a couple five tackles. One for a loss. another for a LONG gain tried to hit the guy out of bounds only to have him pick up another 30 yards or so.

As for DJ please this guy is supposed to be able to cover TE's coming off the LOS.

At least on TD was because he can't.

Sorry I had not read the rest of the story..

jhildebrand
12-26-2010, 10:39 PM
I don't mind Tebow throwing the ball up for grabs to Lloyd. Kyle Orton's be]en doing it all year long. When Orton does it, it's called "giving your receiver a chance." When Tebow does it's called being "careless with the football." It's a double standard, but get used to it until the Broncos start winning with Tebow a lot more.

Well said. There will be plenty of double standards like this to highlight when it comes to Tebow.

tripleoption
12-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Well said. There will be plenty of double standards like this to highlight when it comes to Tebow.

True, no matter what he does every little mistake will only 'prove' the experts right that he shouldn't be playing QB in the NFL

http://www.mattbrandenburg.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Asinine-America-HATERS-GONNA-HATE1.jpg