PDA

View Full Version : Klis: Elway next exception?

Denver Native (Carol)
12-26-2010, 10:17 AM
From the moment John Elway sits down in his front-office chair at Broncos headquarters, he will confront the stigma that great players make bad bosses.

Wayne Gretzky, Magic Johnson and Bart Starr weren't very good coaches. Michael Jordan has been a lousy executive.

"But look at what Ozzie Newsome has done with Baltimore," said Karl Mecklenburg, who played with the Broncos on the other side of the ball from Elway. "Jerry West was a great player in basketball and then a wonderful general manager.

"There are some examples where it's turned out great. There are other examples where it hasn't. If I know John, when he puts his mind to something, he's going to get it done."

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16944124

Jake Klug
12-26-2010, 10:24 AM
My understanding of Elway's old car dealerships is that they were successful because of who he went in business with that ran the operation. Hopefully we'll get that when he's with the Broncos.

chazoe60
12-26-2010, 10:27 AM
I think we will have a clue of how good he's goingto be as a FO man based on the HC choice.

The most important decision he will make (if indeed he is given as much power as it seems he may) will be his very first one. We've all seen what choosing the wrong HC will do, and it ain't pretty.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-26-2010, 02:35 PM
My understanding of Elway's old car dealerships is that they were successful because of who he went in business with that ran the operation. Hopefully we'll get that when he's with the Broncos.

As John bought the car dealerships in 1989, while he was still playing football, of course, there had to be others who were involved. But I know for a fact that he was at the different dealerships when time permitted.