PDA

View Full Version : Luck may or may not come out.....

PAINTERDAVE
12-25-2010, 08:15 PM
New York Times
By PETE THAMEL
Published: December 12, 2010

Sorry I dont have the link... here is a portion of this article.
Google it at New York times for full artcle.

__________________________________________________ ________

“I don’t want to sound cocky or pretentious or whatever, but no,” Luck said. “I think it’s just you have to have trust in the decision you’re going to make is the right one. If it’s going to back to school, I’m confident that I can still perform at a high level.”

Luck did not sound like someone who had pondered too many of the intricacies of preparing for the N.F.L. He said he had not had discussions with potential agents, something that highly regarded players sometimes explore the summer before their season starts. (Luck redshirted as a freshman and has played only two seasons in college.) He also said he did not know any details of the N.F.L.’s potential labor problems.

“I honestly don’t know anything about it,” he said. “I just know former players coming back and telling the whole locker room, ‘Hey, there’s something actually happening in the N.F.L.’ I haven’t asked around. I’m sure my dad knows a lot more than I do.”

Luck’s father is Oliver Luck, a former N.F.L. quarterback who is West Virginia’s athletic director. He was in New York for his son’s Heisman moment and he certainly would have liked Andrew’s answer when asked how much getting a degree would weigh in on his decision to return to Stanford.

“A big part of going to a university like Stanford is to get a degree and graduate and have that opportunity to go into the business world or whatever world it is with a Stanford degree,” Andrew Luck said. “It’s a big deal.”

No agent...
oblivious to the NFL contract talks...
says getting the degree is a big deal.

If I was a betting man...
I'd bet that Luck is not gonna be in this years draft.

camdisco24
12-25-2010, 08:19 PM
I'd be shocked if he doesn't enter the draft, but I'd be fine with it!
We'd have a year to look at Tebow, and then the Luck talks would be more realistic.
Of course, I'd hope we weren't in a position to draft luck next year...
Again though... I'd be SHOCKED to see him pass up entering the draft with all the praises surrounding him.

Clipworthy
12-25-2010, 08:29 PM
good... i want tebow to play

sick of straight dropback passing, (orton officially made me want to throw up from it all)

tebow has a much more exciting future IMO

EMB6903
12-25-2010, 08:34 PM
good... i want tebow to play

sick of straight dropback passing, (orton officially made me want to throw up from it all)

tebow has a much more exciting future IMO

Luck can run very well. Hes far from just a pocket passer.

Clipworthy
12-25-2010, 08:40 PM
most qbs are somewhat mobile in college, but it rarely translates as few teams would want their qbs out there scrambling

I Eat Staples
12-25-2010, 09:02 PM
most qbs are somewhat mobile in college, but it rarely translates as few teams would want their qbs out there scrambling

There's a good reason for that.

Dropback passing, which you're sick of, wins superbowls.

Sinthor
12-25-2010, 09:54 PM
New York Times
By PETE THAMEL
Published: December 12, 2010

Sorry I dont have the link... here is a portion of this article.
Google it at New York times for full artcle.

__________________________________________________ ________

“I don’t want to sound cocky or pretentious or whatever, but no,” Luck said. “I think it’s just you have to have trust in the decision you’re going to make is the right one. If it’s going to back to school, I’m confident that I can still perform at a high level.”

Luck did not sound like someone who had pondered too many of the intricacies of preparing for the N.F.L. He said he had not had discussions with potential agents, something that highly regarded players sometimes explore the summer before their season starts. (Luck redshirted as a freshman and has played only two seasons in college.) He also said he did not know any details of the N.F.L.’s potential labor problems.

“I honestly don’t know anything about it,” he said. “I just know former players coming back and telling the whole locker room, ‘Hey, there’s something actually happening in the N.F.L.’ I haven’t asked around. I’m sure my dad knows a lot more than I do.”

Luck’s father is Oliver Luck, a former N.F.L. quarterback who is West Virginia’s athletic director. He was in New York for his son’s Heisman moment and he certainly would have liked Andrew’s answer when asked how much getting a degree would weigh in on his decision to return to Stanford.

“A big part of going to a university like Stanford is to get a degree and graduate and have that opportunity to go into the business world or whatever world it is with a Stanford degree,” Andrew Luck said. “It’s a big deal.”

No agent...
oblivious to the NFL contract talks...
says getting the degree is a big deal.

If I was a betting man...
I'd bet that Luck is not gonna be in this years draft.

LMAO. I too read something recently where it confirmed Luck hasn't talked to agents or anything yet and his comments have been that he hadn't thought about the draft yet and wanted to get a degree and all of that. Imagine that, a kid grounded enough to want an education to fall back on for after football or IF football doesn't work out?

If Luck doesn't enter the draft though (and the clock is ticking!) I'm sure we'll here tons of folk saying we need to take Jake Locker or Christian Ponder as they become the next highly talked about "can't miss" or "once in a generation" NFL prospect. Too funny. This kid hasn't even played in a Bowl game yet and has only played 21 games period at Division I. To me this seems like Jake Locker who was in this position until he came back this year and showed he wasn't perfect. When will people get through their heads that NONE of these guys are really "NFL Ready?"

Even Sam Bradford, while he has made a positive impact on the Rams, has hardly lit up the league. In fact he's in a slump for the past 4-5 games that has the analysts saying he needs to step up his game and find how he was playing earlier in the year.

YES, these kids can make positive impact, but the degree of that impact depends on the team around them. They won't grow to become world beaters for 2-3 years. Matt Ryan had a good rookie year, had a good team around him and made the playoffs, where he played like a rookie. Slump his second year and NOW is actually playing well enough to be MENTIONED at least in MVP discussions. Flacco- pretty much the same although he hasn't developed as much. Sanchez..after ONE good year in college (sound familiar?) got on a great team, was played very conservatively and has done enough to win. Early this year everyone was reaching to say how much he'd improved, finally "turned the corner," etc. and now look. Again, he's OK, but not a premier QB.

So....the QB we have has already made a positive impact, though again not enough to carry the team. If he continues to do so through the end of the year, tell me again why we roll the dice AGAIN to see if we can get someone we'd have to guarantee $50-$60 MILLION just to see if they can make MORE of an impact or turn out better?

I think this may indeed all work out for the better. If the Broncos aren't tempted by a high draft choice and actually have to focus on building a TEAM, then either a QB we have or one we then go and get will have a MUCH better chance of making it and growing to BE an "elite" QB. Far better than getting say a Matt Stafford that we can throw out there and watch get killed while we're STILL on the hook for tens of millions of dollars.

I will be surprised now if Stafford is still playing in 3 more years and if the Rams don't continue to build and improved, wouldn't terribly surprise me to see Bradford get taken out with his bad shoulder. I don't think Sanchez will make it either, but he's got the best shot of those three with the best team having been built around him.

Oh and by the way, people keep making more Elway comparisons with Luck by saying he has a "cannon arm." Check it out, he's actually only rated "better than average" on arm strength. Even average means you can "make all the throws." Mallet is the "cannon armed" QB in this coming draft most likely, but there are character concerns and concerns about his decision making. He's most often compared right now in the press with Jamarcus Russel due to his size and athleticism along with his arm strength. Hopefully he DOES turn out better than Russell though.

PAINTERDAVE
12-25-2010, 10:22 PM
"This kid hasn't even played in a Bowl game yet and has only played 21 games period at Division I. "

How huge is this part of the "Draft Luck he's NFL ready" story these guys are NEVER bringing up?

Thanks for the precise number ...
I had no idea.

Draft Defensive line!

EMB6903
12-25-2010, 10:26 PM
"This kid hasn't even played in a Bowl game yet and has only played 21 games period at Division I. "

How huge is this part of the "Draft Luck he's NFL ready" story these guys are NEVER bringing up?

I had no idea.

Draft Defensive line!

John Elway never played in a bowl game.

I Eat Staples
12-25-2010, 10:45 PM

I had no idea.

Draft Defensive line!

That doesn't really matter, experience in big games is always a nice bonus but NFL games aren't going to be close to replicated no matter what. A QB can play in all the bowl games they want, it's not going to be anything like playing in even a regular NFL game.

claymore
12-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Vince young and Matt linehart played in bowl games.

I Eat Staples
12-25-2010, 10:59 PM

Exactly. Every rookie QB starts with no NFL experience. College experience means next to nothing.

BroncoWave
12-25-2010, 11:00 PM
I hope he does stay so that people will sthu about the Broncos possibly drafting him.

BroncoStud
12-25-2010, 11:00 PM

Ryan Leaf played in the Rose Bowl.

pipes
12-25-2010, 11:05 PM
John Elway never played in a bowl game.

When Elway played, there wasn't 6,233 different bowl games and definitely NO 6-6 teams in the postseason.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

PAINTERDAVE
12-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Only 21 regular season games...
a junior...
wants the degree...
no agent...
not likely to fall to our pick.

and STILL...

the huge push by the "stuck on Luck" crowd
fantasizing about an unproven college kid...
even willing to trade away (just like McD)
the talent we took in last years first round
and have invested a year in training him.

McD is gone... but you guys still want to play his trading game. :confused:

honz
12-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Joe Flacco played at Delaware.

PAINTERDAVE
12-25-2010, 11:29 PM
I was so excited once Tebow got the start...
I thought..

"Yes, we can see him in action, get some film on him for the new coach...
get him some experience... but most of all...
we can just stop fighting with his haters."

Now... it took less than a week for the other side to switch tactics...
abandon Orton ( for the most part)
and jump on the fantasy of the Luck Bandwagon...
which wont happen until March if at all...
in order to keep arguing now AGAINST giving Tebow a chance.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Go Broncos.

I for one WANT the win tomorrow.

BroncoAV06
12-26-2010, 02:42 AM
Broncos may or may not draft Luck.

Nomad
12-26-2010, 08:50 AM
When Elway played, there wasn't 6,233 different bowl games and definitely NO 6-6 teams in the postseason.

The bowl games have gotten ridiculous.....no way a 6-6 team should be in a bowl game!!

Jake Klug
12-26-2010, 08:57 AM
There's a good reason for that.

Dropback passing, which you're sick of, wins superbowls.

Thats quite a statement.

Having a strong defense wins super bowls.

Having a balanced offense or a strong running game wins super bowls.

And, there have been plenty of mobile QBs that have won super bowls.

Roger Staubach 2
John Elway 2
Steve Young 1
Jeff Hostetler 1
Joe Theismann 1
Ben Roethlisberger 2

Meanwhile, some of the greatest pocket passers of all time didnt win SBs:
Dan Marino
Warren Moon
Jim Kelly
Dan Fouts

Lonestar
12-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Thats quite a statement.

Having a strong defense wins super bowls.

Having a balanced offense or a strong running game wins super bowls.

And, there have been plenty of mobile QBs that have won super bowls.

Roger Staubach 2
John Elway 2
Steve Young 1
Jeff Hostetler 1
Joe Theismann 1
Ben Roethlisberger 2

Meanwhile, some of the greatest pocket passers of all time didnt win SBs:
Dan Marino
Warren Moon
Jim Kelly
Dan Fouts

not so sure that warren Moon was only a pocket passer.. IIRC he scrambled a lot not as a running QB but was not strictly a drop back passer...

1700 yards on the ground.

robert ethan
12-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Luck is taking banjo lessons so he can play the retarded W.Va. hillbilly kid in the remake of Deliverance. He was spotted by a casting agent. Sam Bradford will play the other "dueling banjo".

BroncoAV06
12-26-2010, 02:19 PM
The bowl games have gotten ridiculous.....no way a 6-6 team should be in a bowl game!!

Bowl games are just events. Yes outside of the BCS they don't mean as much to the common fan but don't take away my New Mexico Bowl, I enjoyed covering that and the fans from both schools showed up.