PDA

View Full Version : Lights..Camera...Javon

SarahKay
09-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Lights, camera... Javon
Lights, camera . . . Javon
By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Saturday, September 6th, 2008 at 2:22 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Lane Kiffin said during training camp he doesn’t have much use for the whole concept of playing “when the lights go on.”

If Javon Walker has a big game against the Denver Broncos Monday night at McAfee Coliseum, he may have to revise his thinking.

Kiffin stopped short of sayng Walker would start because he wants to see him again during Sunday’s closed walkthrough and in pregame warmups. But Walker apparently looked good to go Saturday.

“We didn’t do a lot today but he did everything full speed,” Kiffin said. “He was very impressive.”

Kiffin left only a small room for doubt.

“Ii’s not the ideal situation, but we’re going to evaluate it again and look at it,” Kiffin said. “There’s some risks with it whenever a guy doesn’t practice very much during the week. There’s the risk of re-injuring it as well so we’ll look at all of it up to an hour and half before kickoff.”

Walker has missed practices and played before and doesn’t sound as if he thinks it’s a big deal.

“There’s been a lot of athletes, including myself, where previous times in Green Bay, I’ve had injuries. I was able to rest early in the week and then kind of jog around on Friday and then go out, know my assignments, and then play on Sunday,” Walker said. “`Sometimes that’s what happens. I’ve been in that predicament before. I’m not quite sure how they handle it in other places. Like I said, however and whatever they would want me to do to help the team, I’m willing to do it. Whatever gives us the best chance to win, I’m all for it.”

– Putting Edwards on the field in his role as a nickel rusher is less problematic than opening with Walker, Kiffin said.

“Kalimba’s more of a pass rusher in nickel for us and wouldn’t start,” Kiffin said. “Kalimba would be easier to pull the trigger on a last minute activation than it would be with Javon. There’s so much full speed stuff he’s going to have to do right away.

– Kiffin said he’s been impressed at how fast Ashley Lelie has picked up the offense] and sounded as if he would be more comfortable with a player of experience suiting up as opposed to street free agent Todd Watkins and seventh-round draft pick Chaz Schilens.

“You do have to take into consideration when you look at young guys that have never played before the fact that it is Monday night, it is their first game,” Kiffin said. “As good as guys can be, even the top rookies, you have to continue to talk to them, make sure they’re going back to the basic fundamentals. I’ve seen big games all the time where guys make decisions and choices that you’d never see them make otherwise.”

– The other day, Kiffin said McFadden wouldn’t be returning kickoffs. That stance appears to be softening. He said Saturday McFadden was an option as a kickoff return man, although Johnnie Lee Higgins would start.

While not an advocate of giving McFadden a regular role on kickoff returns, there are times to seize the moment. If the Raiders return the opening kickoff, it is one of those moments.

ikillz0mbies
09-06-2008, 07:51 PM
When the lights go on, we'll all have a chance to see if the man with one and a half legs is worth 55 million dollars. And if he doesn't start, I guess Ronald Curry will have a chance to make us Broncos fans quiver in our boots.

SarahKay
09-06-2008, 07:53 PM
I find it funny how they are talking about Lelie likes hes going to be some amazing player for them. HAHA

ikillz0mbies
09-06-2008, 08:19 PM
– Kiffin said he’s been impressed at how fast Ashley Lelie has picked up the offense] and sounded as if he would be more comfortable with a player of experience suiting up as opposed to street free agent Todd Watkins and seventh-round draft pick Chaz Schilens.

I suppose it's not hard to learn a playbook with only vertical lines. And who's more experienced to run straight down the field other than Lelie?

Lonestar
09-06-2008, 09:27 PM
I suppose it's not hard to learn a playbook with only vertical lines. And who's more experienced to run straight down the field other than Lelie?

there is the fly route and the corner fly.. even he can remember that..

Dreadnought
09-06-2008, 10:10 PM
there is the fly route and the corner fly.. even he can remember that..

Yep, I said before that 38 seconds of film work covers all of Lelies capabilities. The guy is soft as a baby bunny.

MasterShake
09-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Yep, I said before that 38 seconds of film work covers all of Lelies capabilities. The guy is soft as a baby bunny.

Does that include a 30 second commercial for itch cream?