PDA

View Full Version : Rookie McFadden Ready To Shine In Debut Against Broncos

Skinny
09-05-2008, 09:12 PM
ALAMEDA, Calif. -- For most of the preseason, Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin has kept rookie Darren McFadden's varied skills under wraps.

Instead of lining him up out wide as a receiver, giving him direct snaps as a quarterback or using him as a kick returner, Kiffin has kept things basic with McFadden. There have been a lot of off-tackle runs, a few draw plays and a couple of sweeps to the outside.

When McFadden makes his NFL debut against Denver on Monday night, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan is prepared to see the whole package of plays.

"I think everybody will obviously prepare for what he did in college as well as what he's done in the preseason games," Shanahan said this week. "We know he's played the quarterback position and we know what he's done out of the quarterback position. At the collegiate level to have the success that he's had, he's just a tremendous weapon. He has big-play potential and can do a lot of different things."

Not so fast, Kiffin said. McFadden is still a rookie and Kiffin says he's in no rush to overload his star pupil, especially before a national television audience.

"We've got to get this guy in the I-formation and let him take the ball and get hit without fumbling it before we start trying to move him all over the place," Kiffin said.

Whether Kiffin is telling the truth or practicing a little bit of subterfuge won't be known until the game starts. The team portion of practices have been closed to the media the past two weeks, making it impossible to tell how often McFadden is working on things other than taking a handoff and running as a tailback.

He did plenty else in college at Arkansas, often taking direct snaps at quarterback in the "wildcat" formation and either handing off to Felix Jones, running with the ball himself or even throwing the ball on occasion.

He lined up as a wide receiver at times in practice during training camp, as the Raiders have tried different ways to capitalize on his blazing speed.

"It's going to be real exciting when we get out there and do that," McFadden said. "I like getting out there and moving around, splitting out wide or whatever it is they want me to do, I enjoy doing it."

Kiffin said those types of plays will likely come as the season progresses. McFadden said he's ready for whatever Kiffin decides to call.

Running the ball will once again be the priority for Oakland offensively, especially with question marks at receiver and offensive tackle limiting what quarterback JaMarcus Russell can do in his first full season as the starter.

Oakland had a strong running game last season behind a new zone-blocking scheme, finishing sixth in the league in rushing. The Raiders are hoping for even more success this year with McFadden joining 1,000-yard back Justin Fargas and the line having more experience in the new system.

"Hopefully they don't get too much better or we'll really be in trouble," Shanahan said. "They're very well coordinated, they're very well coached, they play extremely hard together. You can see that the system has been very successful."

Oakland is using a system similar to the one that Denver had perfected over the years. The Raiders gained 375 yards rushing in the two games against the Broncos, which was part of a disturbing pattern all season for Denver.

The Broncos had the league's third-worst rushing defense, leading to the firing of defensive coordinator Jim Bates, who was replaced by secondary coach Bob Slowik. Kiffin saw a big difference already in the exhibition games.

"They've definitely committed to stop the run, you see that on film. They line up in an eight-man front about every snap in preseason," he said. "To me, it looks like they've made an emphasis on, 'We're going to stop the run,' much like us. I think our defenses are similar in that aspect. Both of us have had trouble stopping the run, both of us have good corners. We've had to focus our attention in the offseason on stopping the run and it looks like they have too."Article (http://www.nbc11.com/news/17405796/detail.html)

Their going to run it. We have to stop it.

dogfish
09-05-2008, 09:34 PM
i hope to god they do try lining him up at quarterback. . . even with our suspect defense, they'll find out reeeeal fast that this is the NFL, and that kinda shit doesn't fly. . . they try that college stuff with him, he'll get eaten alive. . . . and tned's fantasy football season will be down the tubes! :laugh:

Bronco9798
09-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Any team the Broncos play will try to run the ball down our throats until we prove we can stop it. Common football sense. Not like it's a huge surprise.

Northman
09-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Article (http://www.nbc11.com/news/17405796/detail.html)

Their going to run it. We have to stop it.

I would put 8 in the box and make Russell beat us.

nevcraw
09-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Rookie McFadden Ready To Shine In Debut Against Broncos

no. he isn't

Tned
09-05-2008, 10:03 PM
i hope to god they do try lining him up at quarterback. . . even with our suspect defense, they'll find out reeeeal fast that this is the NFL, and that kinda shit doesn't fly. . . they try that college stuff with him, he'll get eaten alive. . . . and tned's fantasy football season will be down the tubes! :laugh:

I think I drafted him in four of my five leagues. Might have been three, but pretty sure four. Hard to keep track of all these damn leagues. :D

Watchthemiddle
09-05-2008, 10:05 PM
I think I drafted him in four of my five leagues. Might have been three, but pretty sure four. Hard to keep track of all these damn leagues. :D

Hey, maybe I will use that excuse this year if I go 2-12 again...:eek:

omac
09-06-2008, 12:25 AM
Oakland had a strong running game last season behind a new zone-blocking scheme, finishing sixth in the league in rushing.

Oakland is using a system similar to the one that Denver had perfected over the years.

"They've definitely committed to stop the run, you see that on film. They line up in an eight-man front about every snap in preseason," he said. "To me, it looks like they've made an emphasis on, 'We're going to stop the run,' much like us. I think our defenses are similar in that aspect. Both of us have had trouble stopping the run, both of us have good corners. We've had to focus our attention in the offseason on stopping the run and it looks like they have too."

Kiffin is like a Kubiak II or Shanahan III; his offensive philosophy, and even what he does to fix the problems the Raiders have is similar to what Kubes and Shanny would do. It might not be long before they're back to contender status ... but luckily, Al will probably fire Kiffin. :D

Retired_Member_001
09-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Any team the Broncos play will try to run the ball down our throats until we prove we can stop it. Common football sense. Not like it's a huge surprise.

Then it's up for us to stop it. I don't ******* care, play 11 in the box if we need to. The Raiders can't pass protect and Russell will choke under the pressure. It's all about playing the right game and working against your opponents weaknesses.

Poet
09-06-2008, 09:07 AM
It wouldn't be shocking for him to have a good game, but seeing how it is his first game in his NFL career, doubtful.

He will be a pain in the ass for the rest of the AFC West for a long time (barring injuries) though.