PDA

View Full Version : Per Vic & Gary (@VicLombardi @thegarymiller), Orton's 2011 contract may not be guaranteed

Tned
12-23-2010, 09:50 AM
I am listening to Vic and Gary on http://877theticket.com (87.7 The Ticket) and they are saying that Mike Lombardi of NFL Network fame (or infamy) is reporting that Orton's contract is NOT guaranteed for 2011. Instead, he's saying something about it only being guaranteed if he plays.

They said they are trying to get in touch with him for clarification.

BroncoJoe
12-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I heard that yesterday as well. They were comparing it to how McNabb's contract was written in DC.

Tned
12-23-2010, 09:57 AM
This is the article they are referring to:

Last week, Kyle Orton, the normal starting quarterback, had a rib injury, which could have allowed him to play. But with a first-round pick invested in Tebow, the Broncos' brass felt the time was right to make the move. Orton is not the future. Yes, he has a contract for next year, but none of it is guaranteed. Much like Donavan McNabb with the Redskins, the Broncos only pay Orton if he plays next season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d1a149/article/broncos-must-have-tebow-in-mind-during-coaching-search

They, and I, think that M. Lombardi is wrong. He says none of his contract is guaraneed.

It was reported that $8.2 million of his new contract (the extension he signed) was guaranteed. Rotoworld says that $5.5 million of 2011 is guaranteed. That $5.5 million + his 2010 contract would equal $8.2 million.

So, based on Rotoworld $5.5 of his 2011 $8.8 million is guaranteed.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-23-2010, 10:10 AM
The $5.5 mil sounds right from what I've heard before. There's got to be some kind of guaranteed money in there somewhere or it's as official as a memo on a napkin. I doubt Orton would've signed an extension for no guaranteed money when he could've just been a FA at the end of this season, anyway.

The first question is, will the team choose to move on with Tebow or will Orton be given a no shit chance to compete for and stay on as the starter again next year? We won't know that until a new GM/HC is named.

The second question is, if we do decide to go away from Orton and the "age of Orton" is truly at an end in Denver, how hard will it be to trade him with an $8 mil contract ($5.5 mil guaranteed) attached to him?

chazoe60
12-23-2010, 10:13 AM
That would be cool. We can cut him and suffer no cap hit? Is that how it works? Plus it may make his contract look better to a team wanting to trade for him.

Either way the good news is it would seemingly make it easier for the team to end his time here and I am all for that.

chazoe60
12-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Boo. I got excited for nothing.

I wish I could make 5.5 million dollars to be mediocre at my job.

Tned
12-23-2010, 10:16 AM
The $5.5 mil sounds right from what I've heard before. There's got to be some kind of guaranteed money in there somewhere or it's as official as a memo on a napkin. I doubt Orton would've signed an extension for no guaranteed money when he could've just been a FA at the end of this season, anyway.

The first question is, will the team choose to move on with Tebow or will Orton be given a no shit chance to compete for and stay on as the starter again next year? We won't know that until a new GM/HC is named.

The second question is, if we do decide to go away from Orton and the "age of Orton" is truly at an end in Denver, how hard will it be to trade him with an $8 mil contract ($5.5 mil guaranteed) attached to him?

Until recently, NFL contracts had zero guaranteed money. Now it's becoming more common, but there are still many contracts with partial or no guarantees on any given year.

That's why players getting signing bonuses up front to offset the lack of guaranteed portions of the contract.

BroncoJoe
12-23-2010, 10:18 AM
His "guarantee" was probably already paid to him in the signing bonus. I don't think ANY NFL contract is guaranteed - for players, anyway.

BroncoStud
12-23-2010, 10:19 AM
I think with a $5.5 million 1-year contract you can shop it. It isn't going to scare off anyone.

Gotta trade this guy and move on. He will just cause issues with the development of the young guys.

Tned
12-23-2010, 10:29 AM

We'll see if we get anymore details, but in the uncapped year, many, if not most, of the contracts were guaranteed for injury OR skill, not both. At least that was the case with the big contracts. It had to do with a CBA rule (in uncapped years) that had a narrowly defined circumstance where you could guarantee both.

The Doom contract was only guaranteed for injury, I think Revis may have gone for skill, I can't remember.

It's very possible that Orton's contract is only guaranteed for "injury" from the point at which he signed it, and then becomes guaranteed for skill, at a certain date (like June 1st), as the year officially starts. This would be consistant with Doom's contract.

So, even though it is touted as guaranteed, we don't know whether it is injury, skill or both.

Tned
12-23-2010, 10:31 AM
His "guarantee" was probably already paid to him in the signing bonus. I don't think ANY NFL contract is guaranteed - for players, anyway.

No, it's part of his 2011 salary. Over the last 5+ years, it's become more and more common to have some or all (usually some) of the salary guaranteed in addition to the signing bonuses.

If you go back further than that, it was VERY unusual for salary to be guaranteed (and almost never beyond one year) and typically the only guaranteed part of the contract was the signing bonus.

Tned
12-23-2010, 11:23 AM
After talking to a "source" this morning, they are saying they are very sure that $2.87 million of the $8+ million is guaranteed in 2011.

RT @thegarymiller: Ortons guaranteed money next year 2.87 million not 5.1 as previously thought

BeefStew25
12-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Good for Kyle getting paid.

red98
12-23-2010, 01:00 PM
After talking to a "source" this morning, they are saying they are very sure that $2.87 million of the $8+ million is guaranteed in 2011.

That's good to know. However as a veteran, if he so chooses, under the current CBA, if he's on the opening day roster, Orton's entire 2011 salary will be guaranteed.

Superchop 7
12-23-2010, 01:16 PM
I have no problem with him being a backup.....but, if he "needs" to be a starter in the league..... somewhere......then I'm sure there would be no hard feelings letting him go this offseason if Kyle has offers.

It would be fair for both sides.

missingnumber7
12-23-2010, 09:19 PM

LMAO...I guess NFL QBs are just average considering they that there are only 32 starting QBs on a given week in the NFL in the entire world.