View Full Version : Dave Logan Interviews for UNC Job

Dzone
12-23-2010, 12:48 AM
As a UNC graduate, this is good news...
Logan to Greeley? Oh ya!
http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=171335&catid=345

tripleoption
12-23-2010, 03:32 AM
As a UNC grad myself I find this rather interesting. This is the first I've heard his name mentioned for the job. He has no experience coaching at the college level that I'm aware of. He'd definitely be entering a different world. I listened to him speak at a coaches clinic a couple of years ago, and he talked about how his first couple of years in high school ball was very difficult for him, and he wondered if he was cut out for it. He had to learn how to deal with players and parents at that level. Would he have the luxury of taking a couple of years at the college level if he struggles? I do think initially it would ramp up interest in UNC football, and I think that UNC football needs it. He's pretty much done everything possible at the high school level in Colorado, winning five state titles and having a nationally ranked team at Mullen, so moving up to the college level makes sense to him. I guess it comes down to if UNC is ready to put their program in the hands of someone who has never coached at that level before. Personally, I'd be surprised if he gets the job. To me it would be more of a hire to 'make a splash'. It's definitely not the safe choice to make, and it would be gutsy to do it. Like anything else in sports, if it works out it'll be a great hire and Hinrichs (UNC AD) will look like a genius, and if he struggles then Hinrichs will look like an idiot.

BroncoJoe
12-23-2010, 09:27 AM
From a parent/student perspective, I'd guess the college level would be easier. I think this would be a great fit for him.

tripleoption
12-23-2010, 11:20 AM
From a parent/student perspective, I'd guess the college level would be easier. I think this would be a great fit for him.

I agree there, but going to the college level he'll have a whole new set of alligators to wrestle. Recruiting, dealing with boosters (I know you've got boosters at the high school level too, but some boosters will have more influence at the college level than at the HS level, especially with the level of $$ involved, although HS booster clubs can be a pain to deal with), scholarship limits, a ramped up competition level, etc. I do think he's up for it, and I do think he can succeed. He'd have to give up his little gig on 850 KOA in the afternoons. I'm kinda curious now how many HS head coaches have successfully made the jump to being a successful college head coach by making a lateral move? I remember back in the day when Notre Dame hired Gerry Faust to take over, and if I remember right he was a wildly successful HS coach who moved straight into the head job for the Irish, and ended up being a disaster. At the same time, Mike Holmgren started out as a HS coach who went from HS to college to the NFL, but I don't know if he went straight from a HS HC to a college HC.

tripleoption
12-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Bob Stitt of Mines, one of four finalists for the UNC job, withdrew his name from consideration just hours after Logan interviewed. He said the process was taking too long and he wanted to get on with his football program and not leaving it hanging.

BroncoJoe
12-23-2010, 02:31 PM

Student population: 60% female, 40% male

Damn. I should have gone there.

tripleoption
12-23-2010, 03:02 PM

Damn. I should have gone there.

Yeah you should've. I even had a girlfriend in college while at UNC and I'm quite hideous. :D

tripleoption
12-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Logan was offered the UNC job and turned it down. The only other candidates left are Bill OBoyle from Chadron State and Earnest Collins Jr from Alcorn State. All the other candidates have withdrawn their names from consideration. There must really be some issues with either UNC football or the way the search is being conducted for guys to be withdrawing from consideration after being a finalist or flat turning the job down which Logan apparently did.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20101226/SPORTS/101229972/1012&parentprofile=1010

Denver Native (Carol)
12-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Logan was offered the UNC job and turned it down. The only other candidates left are Bill OBoyle from Chadron State and Earnest Collins Jr from Alcorn State. All the other candidates have withdrawn their names from consideration. There must really be some issues with either UNC football or the way the search is being conducted for guys to be withdrawing from consideration after being a finalist or flat turning the job down which Logan apparently did.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20101226/SPORTS/101229972/1012&parentprofile=1010

Logan rejects UNC coaching position

http://www.denverpost.com/preps/ci_16943829

Something must be wrong up there, or Logan had second thoughts about leaving the "Broncos radio voice", and coaching Mullen HS. I was surprised that he was interviewing for the UNC job in the first place.

GEM
12-27-2010, 10:47 PM
I agree there, but going to the college level he'll have a whole new set of alligators to wrestle. Recruiting, dealing with boosters (I know you've got boosters at the high school level too, but some boosters will have more influence at the college level than at the HS level, especially with the level of $$ involved, although HS booster clubs can be a pain to deal with), scholarship limits, a ramped up competition level, etc. I do think he's up for it, and I do think he can succeed. He'd have to give up his little gig on 850 KOA in the afternoons. I'm kinda curious now how many HS head coaches have successfully made the jump to being a successful college head coach by making a lateral move? I remember back in the day when Notre Dame hired Gerry Faust to take over, and if I remember right he was a wildly successful HS coach who moved straight into the head job for the Irish, and ended up being a disaster. At the same time, Mike Holmgren started out as a HS coach who went from HS to college to the NFL, but I don't know if he went straight from a HS HC to a college HC.

You haven't seen the machine that is Mullen High School, have you? It's on the level of college. It's ridiculous that they put high schools up against them. They recruit like there is no tomorrow, scholarships for those with the talent they want, since it's a private school.

I'm happy...hopefully it slows Mullen down. I'm about sick and tired of seeing them in the 5A championship every ******* year, while your neighborhood school like Pomona doesn't stand a chance in hell of beating them.

Brandon Marshall had his cousin enrolled there.

They have the same thing in 4A at Valor (McCaffrey's 2 boys play there).

I haven't seen Mullen's campus, but Valor's campus is right up there with a college campus, absolutely beautiful.

**EDIT** Just saw that he rejected the offer....:rolleyes: Mullen in the state championship for the next 5 years.

tripleoption
12-28-2010, 12:44 AM
Sorry GEM, Mullen HS football is not on the level of a college. They're a heckuva team right now, coached by arguably the best high school coach in the state. They're still a bunch of 16 year olds though. Logan is a huge draw for sending kids to Mullen, because he wins wherever he's at, and of course parents want their kid to be on a winning program. It's happened everywhere he's gone...kids have left the school they were at to play for him. When Logan was at I think Chatfield, Lendale White (remember him? :D) transferred with some of his buddies I think from Denver East to play for Logan, and of course they ended up winning the 5A title with White. I think that led to some changes in transfer rules by CHSAA.
I will agree with you that they recruit like heck, although they'll deny it. The official story is that all their scholarships are 'needs' based and they don't give out athletic scholarships. Riiiiggghhhhtttt....:rolleyes: While they're a bunch of 16 year olds, they just happen to be some of the best athletes in the state...wish I had that luxury :tsk: Thinking about it though, it would almost be boring to be winning with tremendous athletes every year. It would make me wonder if I'm winning because I'm that good or am I winning because I've got such great athletes every year I couldn't possibly screw it up? Where's the challenge in that? I've seen lousy coaches win state titles cuz they're so loaded they couldn't mess up if they tried, and I've seen really good coaches struggle year after year at a school because they like it there and feel the kids at schools that struggle yearly need good coaches too.
Anyways, yes Mullen has won the past three 5A state titles in football, and won in convincing fashion this year beating Regis 37-6. Last year they beat Pomona by three points 27-24, and the year before they beat Cherry Creek by four points 20-16. So two of those three games were very competitive. For most of the past decade Mullen wasn't winning state titles. In the early part of this decade Columbine was rampaging through 5A, completely embarrassing teams including Mullen. In 05 Douglas County pounded Mullen in the title game 35-10. There are also high school teams around the country that could hammer Mullen. Mullen is the best 5A team in Colorado right now. Put them in Florida, Texas or California, or a few other places they'd be a solid team that would win a lot of games but wouldn't be dominant like they are right now, and they'd take a few beatings. These things cycle. Maybe you're right and they'll win the next five state titles in 5A. I don't think they'll do it though.

tripleoption
12-29-2010, 10:55 AM
UNC hires Alcorn State HC Earnest Collins. Looks like they're taking a page out of the CU playbook and bringing back a former player to coach. Not a bad move. One criticism I've heard is that the former coach was hardly seen in public and that Hinrichs (UNC AD) has KU stuff all over his office. The feeling has been that the powers that be at UNC haven't shown much pride or loyalty towards UNC, so maybe this hire will help ease that perception. UNC has to be smarting after being turned down by Logan and having so many finalists withdraw their names from consideration. I also have to wonder how Collins may feel towards the whole process. I'm sure he's thrilled to get back to UNC, but I know I'd be a bit frustrated knowing I wasn't the first choice and that so many others had withdrawn from consideration.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20101228/SPORTS/712289969/1012&parentprofile=1010

tripleoption
12-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Here's a biography of Earnest Collins from the UNC website

http://uncbears.com/sports/fball/2010-11/releases/122810collinshire