PDA

View Full Version : Rob Ryan Contacted by Broncos?

bigtimebronco
12-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Rob Ryan danced around the question Friday in his weekly interview with reporters when he was asked whether he has heard from the Broncos about their coaching vacancy.

“I’ve heard from the Broncos,” the Browns defensive coordinator said. “A great buddy of mine is their defensive coordinator — Don Martindale. It’s his first time coordinating. He’s putting up numbers that are pretty God-awful.

“The thing is he’s coaching his butt off. I taught him how to prepare. That team will be all right if they keep him there. If they don’t, they’re losing out on a (good) coach.”

http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/2010/12/10/sports/doc4d02b23c54ba7143096711.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Interesting?

Tned
12-22-2010, 06:01 PM
I was under the impression the Broncos couldn't talk to him until the season was over. It's possible if they got permission they could do it sooner.

dogfish
12-22-2010, 06:14 PM
not exactly my top choice, but paired with a real personnel exec i wouldn't complain. . . i certainly think he's head and shoulders above some relic like jim fossil. . .

slim
12-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Step 1 - Elway replaces Ellis
Step 2 - Hire a GM
Step 3 - Hire a coach

We are still at step 1.

BroncoWave
12-22-2010, 06:17 PM
It would be tampering if they talked to anyone currently employed right now.

Benetto
12-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Just hurry up, hire Gruden and get this over with...

It would be a joke to hire Studs for the permanent position...When you got so many great options to bring in and turn this shit around.

slim
12-22-2010, 06:19 PM
I wonder if Rob has a foot fetish?

Superchop 7
12-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Rob has a pie fetish.

robert ethan
12-22-2010, 06:40 PM
..they would be Rob Ryan and Stink Martindale. I would throw up.

silkamilkamonico
12-22-2010, 06:44 PM
It would be tampering if they talked to anyone currently employed right now.

I believe they can contact but not interview. I do know they are allowed to interview coaches that are in the playoffs during the bye week if those coaches do in fact have a bye. I guess I'm not positive about the regular season, but if they can interveiw coaches during the playoffs I would imagine they can contact coaches during towards the end of the season.

BroncoWave
12-22-2010, 06:49 PM
I believe they can contact but not interview. I do know they are allowed to interview coaches that are in the playoffs during the bye week if those coaches do in fact have a bye. I guess I'm not positive about the regular season, but if they can interveiw coaches during the playoffs I would imagine they can contact coaches during towards the end of the season.

I'm pretty sure I read that any contact before the end of the regular season is tampering. I could be wrong though.

camdisco24
12-22-2010, 06:51 PM
If we hired Rob Ryan, sounds like he'd keep Martindale... and before you know it there would be a McDonalds built on the sideline at Invesco...

BroncoBJ
12-22-2010, 06:57 PM
:lol: @ him saying hes putting up numbers that are pretty god awful.

Only thing I'd like about Rob, is that his brother is Rex. Not really someone I'd want as a head coach though. He seems mediocre to me. Though coaching the Raiders and Browns doesn't tell much. I'm so use to seeing him look like a greaseball on the sidelines during Raider games. But maybe he could help a bit with our defense.

I want an agressive defense next year. Not this laid back pathetic defense that I've seen year after year.

silkamilkamonico
12-22-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm pretty sure I read that any contact before the end of the regular season is tampering. I could be wrong though.

I guess I would not know either way on that one.

I do not think Studs is a legitimate candidate, and I didn't when he took over as interim coach, regardless of how he finished out the season.

BroncoWave
12-22-2010, 07:04 PM
I do not think Studs is a legitimate candidate, and I didn't when he took over as interim coach, regardless of how he finished out the season.

Really going out on a limb there! :lol:

I think the last 2 games have removed any doubt about him not being a candidate.

Juriga72
12-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Step 2 - Hire a GM
Step 3 - Hire a coach

We are still at step 1.

Can we not forget to comply with the "Rooney Rule"..we already need every draft pick...

Someone call in Rivera, Lets give Singletary a interview.....just to cove our bases

bigtimebronco
12-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Can we not forget to comply with the "Rooney Rule"..we already need every draft pick...

Someone call in Rivera, Lets give Singletary a interview.....just to cove our bases

I hear singletary is on the hot seat in SF, he's someone i wouldnt mind bringing in.

dogfish
12-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Step 2 - Hire a GM
Step 3 - Hire a coach

We are still at step 1.

ain't happenin' big guy. . .

try "keep ellis, hire elway in some figurehead role to placate us morons, and xanders is still the GM"-- not that i like it ANY more than you do, but from here it sure looks exactly like what's happening. . .

notice we keep hearing about coaches they're looking at? i'm sure not hearing anything about us considering any GM candidates-- looks to me like the "GM" is already on the payroll. . . bowlen sold us out again with lies about doing it right this time. . . the writing was on the wall when xanders publicly distanced himself from mcdaniels and the organization stood mute. . . this shit is going down. . . wormtongue ellis has successfully made JMFMCD the scapegoat, and managed to insulate his own power position more securely in the process. . . if/when the new regime fails, ol' joe already has his next goat lined up-- "GM" xanders. . .

short of elway actually throwing wormtongue out on his ass, all we can hope for is getting a coach who's strong enough to push for what he wants and smart enough to make something out of this mess. . .

topscribe
12-22-2010, 07:33 PM

Did you forget about Studesville?

It would seem to me the Rooney Rule could be satisfied in a matter of minutes . . .

-----

Dzone
12-22-2010, 07:40 PM
I dunno, but this whole foot fetish thing with Rex Ryan is utterly bizarre...wtf, dont people in the public eye have any sense??? In the presser, thay asked him and rex did NOT deny it...
His wife Michelle posted foot fetish videos on youtube with rexs voice...what were they thinking????

Dzone
12-22-2010, 07:54 PM
This is obviously Ryans wife..she has done a whole series of foot fetish videos...oh well, thats fine, but to be so public about it is a little strange
http://deadspin.com/5715741/this-may-or-may-not-be-rex-ryans-wife-making-foot+fetish-videos?skyline=true&s=i

dogfish
12-22-2010, 07:57 PM
if he can get our defense below 20 PPG allowed, i don't care if he screws sheep. . .

DenBronx
12-22-2010, 08:08 PM
no....cause then we'll have FOOTGATE PART 2! :D

Juriga72
12-22-2010, 08:58 PM

It would seem to me the Rooney Rule could be satisfied in a matter of minutes . . .

-----
Even Goodell would be like...."No..he does not count, nice try tho."

I would laugh greatly at even giving him a job interview, even Pat has been conscious these last two games.

Dzone
12-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Interview Tony Dungy...doesnt he love Tebow?...that will keep the commissioner off our back

Juriga72
12-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Interview Tony Dungy...doesnt he love Tebow?...that will keep the commissioner off our back

You think Tony could put in a word with Peyton?........ "Hey... Peyton.... That Indy thing is well... done, try coming out here to the fresh air of Colorado"

frauschieze
12-22-2010, 09:11 PM

I would laugh greatly at even giving him a job interview, even Pat has been conscious these last two games.

Ummm......I kinda think Goodell wouldn't be able to say a thing. He shouldn't and doesn't have any control over who a team deems worthy of being interviewed for a coaching position.

broncofaninfla
12-22-2010, 09:27 PM
I don't buy it. I don't think they will look for coaches until they hire a GM.

BroncoWave
12-22-2010, 09:31 PM

No, there isn't a thing Goodell could say. And of course Pat is going to give him a courtesy interview. It's standard procedure for interim coaches and it satisfies the Rooney Rule. Why wouldn't he?

Lonestar
12-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Pretty sure any contact is a tampering violation. There is a time frame for talking to Coordinators right after their season is over or before their bye week before their playoff game and then you still need premission to talk to them if they are under contract.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lancane
12-22-2010, 10:02 PM

It's only tampering Bailey if the organization the coach works for refuses the team contacting them to speak to a particular coach, the only teams that are excluded are playoff teams, and I don't believe teams can officially interview till the season of that team is over.

dogfish
12-22-2010, 10:17 PM
tampering ranks right up there with jaywalking in terms of severity of offense. . . i would say that 32 teams do it and it happens pretty much non-stop. . . it was an accepted part of the league until mike florio started snivelling about it. . .

remember how a half-dozen guys used to sign big deals in the first few hours of free agency? happened every year, and every single one of 'em clearly had plenty of contact with the clubs before it was permissible-- it's not like their agents were waiting by the phone and were able to hammer out the details of deals in twenty minutes. . .

OrangeHoof
12-22-2010, 10:17 PM
You don't contact the coach. That's tampering. You contact the coach's agent and that will "put the word out" to the coach. Maybe Ryan's agent is the same as Wink's so they contact Wink's agent and just happen to drop the hint. Nothing wrong with that.

Juriga72
12-22-2010, 10:29 PM

-----

Just checked and guess what...... "Rooney rule" counts even with firings mid season...hmmmm

NFL's Rooney Rule still in effect for in-season coaching changes

11:13 PM CST on Monday, November 8, 2010
By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
tarcher@dallasnews.com
IRVING – If the Cowboys want to remove the interim tag from Jason Garrett's head coaching title in 2011, they will have to satisfy the NFL's Rooney Rule requirements.

The Rooney Rule mandates a team must interview minority candidates for head coaching and front-office positions.

The league has language in place that covers a team making an in-season coaching move, which the Cowboys did Monday.

LTC Pain
12-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Proofs in the pudding. When Wink's "numbers" are top ten in the NFL then I will believe he's a good D-coach. Until then, meh......

LordTrychon
12-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Just checked and guess what...... "Rooney rule" counts even with firings mid season...hmmmm

NFL's Rooney Rule still in effect for in-season coaching changes

11:13 PM CST on Monday, November 8, 2010
By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
tarcher@dallasnews.com
IRVING – If the Cowboys want to remove the interim tag from Jason Garrett's head coaching title in 2011, they will have to satisfy the NFL's Rooney Rule requirements.

The Rooney Rule mandates a team must interview minority candidates for head coaching and front-office positions.

The league has language in place that covers a team making an in-season coaching move, which the Cowboys did Monday.

Nobody is saying otherwise.

we will interview Studs as a courtesy, as he has been our interim, and then the rule is satisfied.

rcsodak
12-22-2010, 11:03 PM

Singletary?LMAO! He will be back coaching LBs before he's a coordinator ot HC. McD will be a HC before he will.

Magnificent Seven
12-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Rob Ryan???? No ******* Way!

topscribe
12-22-2010, 11:35 PM
I can make one prediction: Many fans will be unhappy next year. It doesn't
matter who will assume the reins: Many will be unhappy about it.

Guaranteed. :coffee:

-----

dogfish
12-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Nobody is saying otherwise.

we will interview Studs as a courtesy, as he has been our interim, and then the rule is satisfied.

i'm sure you're right that studesville will get a courtesy interview. . . even if that's all it is, it's still great experience for him, and at least gets his name out there for some smaller promotions that might be available. . .

of course, there's no reason to make any more of a mockery of the rule than it already is-- minority candidates ron rivera and perry fewell should be on our short list for interviews, IMO. . . even if i don't actually think that's the direction we'll go. . .

rivera's name has at least been mentioned. . .

then again, we interviewed several of the guys i wanted last year, notably spagnuolo and also frazier IIRC. . . obviously didn't hire either of 'em, though, which is ultimately what counts. . .

right now, i do think there's also SOME validity to the question of how much appeal this job really has, and whether some of the top candidates that have other options might just decide to pass on denver. . . i honestly don't think 3-13 or whatever shit record we end up with will be a big deterrent. . .

the lack of both depth and a lot of front line talent on the roster does have to be acknowledged, but i don't think those are such big problems. . . most jobs that come open are only available because the roster wasn't good enough to win with-- there aren't many instances of 14-2 teams firing their coaches and leaving the next guy a stacked roster, martyball notwithstanding. . .

any guy waiting for THAT situation may never coach again. . . a lot of people think cowher will end up in carolina-- they may have a few more pieces than us, but that roster is in tough shape too. . .

D-line needs help, O-line needs depth, they don't have a quarterback, the only NFL-caliber player in their entire receiving corps (WR and TE) is an aging free agent, etc etc. . . it's a work in progress at the very best. . .

we need a lot of work, but the cupboard's not completely bare-- not when you have players like dumervil and clady (and most likely champ bailey under the one year tag), most of the parts you need for a solid young OL, a strong battery of receivers with some impressive young talents, couple usable vets and promising youngsters in the secondary, a controversial but gifted young QB prospect, and a guy that's at worst a solid veteran #2 QB. . .

no doubt, we have needs all over-- it is going to be a significant rebuilding. . . we do have resources, though-- a nice stack of picks this year with the potential to turn them into more, and plenty of cap space if that still applies (and we're willing to use it). . . i'd say this roster is better than st. louis was two years ago, and spags has them well on the road to recovery. . . i don't think most coaches will be daunted by the challenge. . .

i do wonder if some of the other stuff going on here might not turn some people off, though. . . a coach who believes he can get another job might not want to come here and work under the dude that was second in charge over the recent dumptruck load of fail that happened here, for example. . . plenty of guys only get one chance-- would you want your's to come with brian xanders putting your roster together?

camdisco24
12-23-2010, 12:09 AM
I can make on prediction: Many fans will be unhappy next year. It doesn't
matter who will assume the reins: Many will be unhappy about it.

Guaranteed. :coffee:

-----

100% guaranteed.
When your in shambles this much, everyone has an opinion on how to fix it.
When their way isn't used.... here we go.... it'll be interesting around here until we start seeing results.

BroncoStud
12-23-2010, 12:44 AM
I was under the impression the Broncos couldn't talk to him until the season was over. It's possible if they got permission they could do it sooner.

They can't, he's under contract with another team, it's illegal.

Italianmobstr7
12-23-2010, 01:57 AM
I'd love Rob Ryan as our HC.

MileHighCrew
12-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Couldn't we have had the other Ryan when they hired the McStake

HORSEPOWER 56
12-23-2010, 09:03 AM
You don't contact the coach. That's tampering. You contact the coach's agent and that will "put the word out" to the coach. Maybe Ryan's agent is the same as Wink's so they contact Wink's agent and just happen to drop the hint. Nothing wrong with that.

Actually, you contact the team that the coach is under contract with to get permission to contact the coach. Then you call the coach's agent. That's how you do it, legally.

BroncoJoe
12-23-2010, 09:22 AM
“I’ve heard from the Broncos,” the Browns defensive coordinator said. “A great buddy of mine is their defensive coordinator — Don Martindale.

Doesn't sound to me like the "Broncos" have contacted him - just that he and Wink talk.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Doesn't sound to me like the "Broncos" have contacted him - just that he and Wink talk.

Yep, that's what I got out of it, too.

Ravage!!!
12-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Didn't Rob just say he heard from his friend Martindale? THats howI took it. He's heard from Martindale and is giving him shit via the media by giving him a shot with the "he's putting up some numbers that are god awful." :shrug: Thats how I took it.

LordTrychon
12-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Didn't Rob just say he heard from his friend Martindale? THats howI took it. He's heard from Martindale and is giving him shit via the media by giving him a shot with the "he's putting up some numbers that are god awful." :shrug: Thats how I took it.

Gave him shit while also endorsing him as a good coordinator who could turn it around.

That's a good friend.

BORDERLINE
12-23-2010, 12:32 PM
hell no i don't want rob ryan as a head coach....

i really don't like the way rex ryan presents himself...

he talks way too much and those people never win the big game...

get us a guy in the Mike Tomln mold...that's the kind of guy i want leading the troops

dogfish
12-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Gave him shit while also endorsing him as a good coordinator who could turn it around.

That's a good friend.

i think you're a real shitty mod, but you've got time to turn it around. . .

:elefant: