PDA

View Full Version : Tebow shows promise in debut, but rookie QB far from polished

TXBRONC
12-21-2010, 01:40 PM
I think this is a fair assesment of what we saw from Tebow.

Tebow shows promise in debut, but rookie QB far from polished
By Bucky Brooks NFL.com
Analyst
Published: Dec. 20, 2010 at 07:26 p.m. Updated: Dec. 20, 2010 at 07:32 p.m.

As a scout, you look forward to rookies stepping on the field for the first time to see if they live up to the hype. No draft pick received more attention heading into the season than Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow. While the first-round pick was used sparingly for three months, we got our first real look at him against the Raiders.

Although it typically takes four games to make a solid evaluation on a player, a lot can be gained from watching a one-game snapshot.

In looking at Tebow's debut, it appears the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner has the potential to be an effective NFL starting quarterback. Some will dispute the notion based on his unorthodox style, but a quarterback's primary job is to successfully guide his offense down the field while playing winning football. That consists of taking care of the ball -- read avoiding turnovers -- and making timely plays. Those plays lead to first downs and touchdowns, and ultimately allow the offense to put up enough points to win on a consistent basis.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d12052/article/tebow-shows-promise-in-debut-but-rookie-qb-far-from-polished?module=HP_spotlight3col

BroncoTech
12-21-2010, 01:58 PM
The Broncos coaching staff should be commended for crafting a game plan that accentuated Tebow's strengths.

The hell you say? Our play calling was laughable at best. This makes the whole article suspect as to it's worthlessness.

I know one thing, I've been waiting 2 years to see a Bronco running back break off a 40 year touchdown run and I finally saw it the first quarter last week. Tebow is our savior if we can play him on defense too.

BroncoNut
12-21-2010, 02:02 PM
isn't it crazy to think of a rookie qb as polished after his first start? has any qb of note come out as good as they were when they peaked? seriously

SOCALORADO.
12-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Asomugha:
Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha got a good hit on Tebow late in the game but Tebow, who weighs nearly 250 pounds, doled out a lot of punishment himself.

"A lot of guys will either slide or they'll try to take the path of least resistance. But he's going to go head-up with a guy, every time. He's a big guy, tough to bring down," Asomugha said.

Michael Huff:
"He's a tough runner. He runs like a back," Raiders safety Michael Huff said. "Once he gets more experience throwing the ball, he'll be a good quarterback."

Quentin Groves:
"People said he couldn't be an NFL quarterback but he made some good throws, he had some good runs," Oakland linebacker Quentin Groves said. "He does what suits him best and that's what it is."

Tommy Kelly:
"He earned a lot of respect from me today," defensive tackle Tommy Kelly said. "He's a lot better athlete than you think he is. You heard so much about him and then you play him. He made a couple moves out there today that surprised me. I think he's got a bright future."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5940289

Dreadnought
12-21-2010, 03:04 PM
I think this guy is going to be fun to watch. I may go crazy at times, but I liked what I saw

Day1BroncoFan
12-21-2010, 03:11 PM
I hope he never gets to polished, it usually means boring.

BroncoNut
12-21-2010, 05:09 PM
iteresting point day 1. I think you have something there

Cugel
12-21-2010, 05:27 PM
When making the evaluation, it is important to note that Tebow was considered a project at the position entering the draft. Best described as a powerful athlete, he has average arm strength and touch. He struggles with accuracy, touch and placement on intermediate and deep throws coupled with a quirky delivery that has needed some refinement on the next level. As a runner, he is not in the class of Michael Vick or Vince Young, but he is a nifty scrambler with the strength to run through arm tackles on the perimeter. He was regarded as an exceptional short-yardage runner at Florida with a knack for getting to the end zone.

Tebow's intangibles -- leadership, work ethic and character -- rated off the charts coming out of college, but his extensive experience directing a shotgun-based spread offense required a technical makeover due to his unfamiliarity with the conventional drop-back game (three-, five- and seven-step drops from under center require different footwork mechanics than executing passes from shotgun alignments).

In addition, he needed to learn how to diagnose coverage while on the move. That means his eyes have to remain focused down the field while going through his drops and being able to quickly identify the primary receiver after briefly turning his back to the defense. While this wouldn't appear to be a difficult skill to pick up, spread formation quarterbacks typically struggle to make the transition after spending four years operating primarily out of the shotgun.

I don't see how anybody can argue with this. Most NFL scouts don't rate Tebow highly as a passer.

But, what I saw out there that convinced me he can be good is his mental toughness. He looks like the kind of player who maybe doesn't have amazing passing skills.

Cutler, was a MUCH more polished QB coming out of college than Tebow is now, with a much stronger arm. But, what I was watching for in Tebow and SAW was his determination.

I think he'll just keep working harder than anybody else to learn the skills he needs to succeed. So he needs lots of work on his arm mechanics, his touch in passing, and his reads?

Well, just put him to work and give him the reps and tell him to study. That's all. I wouldn't bet against him after what I saw game one.

Not anymore. I was NOT on the Tebow bandwagon when he was drafted. I still think he's a bit of a long-shot.

But, if he fails it absolutely WON'T be because he didn't put in the total commitment and effort needed to succeed. That much I'm convinced of.

Tebow wants this badly and he's going to do whatever he needs to do to succeed. That was clear. :coffee:

TXBRONC
12-21-2010, 06:09 PM
isn't it crazy to think of a rookie qb as polished after his first start? has any qb of note come out as good as they were when they peaked? seriously

The only one that I can think of that looked polished from day one was Dan Marino.

BroncoNut
12-21-2010, 06:41 PM
The only one that I can think of that looked polished from day one was Dan Marino.

really? I was actually pretty serious about the question. thanks. :salute:

Dreadnought
12-21-2010, 07:01 PM

I mentioned in another thread. There was a kid in 1969 named Greg Cook, started as a rookie QB for the nearly brand spankin' new Bengals, and just tore up the AFL in its last year. He actually led the AFL in YPA and QB rating as a rookie - better than Namath, Dawson, Lamonica, all those guys. Blew up his knee, rehabbed for 3 years, tried a comeback in 73 which didn't work. He is one of the great Might have beens in League History

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CookGr00.htm

Dzone
12-21-2010, 07:24 PM
For a rookie in his first game, Tebow played great. Elway took a while to develop. I can remember people around denver those first few years saying we blew it by not drafting Marino instead of Elway.
Dan patrick today said Tebow doesnt look smooth and looks muscle bound..Well, Tebow is not going to look like other quarterbacks becausde he is so much more muscular. Orton is a smooth quarterback and part of that is because he is so skinny and whispy looking. screw that. I will take Tebow any day over Orton

Superchop 7
12-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Good accuracy.....but throws a bit of a floater.

Look.....you could see his desire to win.....

We need "that" above all else.

I'm fine with giving him a chance to prove himself.

Day1BroncoFan
12-21-2010, 07:43 PM
I can't stand it anymore, I just have to ask the question.

Are there any volunteers that would be willing to polish Tebow?

Juriga72
12-21-2010, 07:47 PM
I mentioned in another thread. There was a kid in 1969 named Greg Cook, started as a rookie QB for the nearly brand spankin' new Bengals, and just tore up the AFL in its last year. He actually led the AFL in YPA and QB rating as a rookie - better than Namath, Dawson, Lamonica, all those guys. Blew up his knee, rehabbed for 3 years, tried a comeback in 73 which didn't work. He is one of the great Might have beens in League History

I'd vote for Joe Gilliam, he was a stud rookie... but this hick Qb was in front of him...LOL

Dzone
12-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Check out these qb busts. No way is Tebow going to be on a list of 1st round busts like this
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/359559-top-20-quarterback-busts#page/1

Superchop 7
12-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Ya know.....Elway being a part of the organization......might just give a few pointers.

TXBRONC
12-21-2010, 08:54 PM

I know who you're talking about but I thought he ended up hurting his rotator cuff during his rookie season? He was on NFLN's Top 10 One Hit Wonders.

TXBRONC
12-21-2010, 09:15 PM
really? I was actually pretty serious about the question. thanks. :salute:

He started nine games as a rookie and ended up with 20 touchdowns and 6 interceptions. He did that without the benefit of decent running game. The talking heads talk about how good Flacco, Ryan, and Roethlisberger were as rookies but they all had strong running games and two of them also had very good defenses to help take the pressure off of them Marino didn't.

Slingin Sammy Baugh also was great moment that he stepped onto the field but you would have to talk to Top and Lonestar about him since they were kids when Baugh was king shit in the NFL. :heh:

J/K

Dreadnought
12-21-2010, 09:46 PM
I know who you're talking about but I thought he ended up hurting his rotator cuff during his rookie season? He was on NFLN's Top 10 One Hit Wonders.

Could be that - I thought I remembered knee, but I'm getting old and feebleminded

BeefStew25
12-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Top, if and when you check back in, did you have to break in a leather helmet like how you break in a new baseball glove?

TXBRONC
12-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Good accuracy.....but throws a bit of a floater.

Look.....you could see his desire to win.....

We need "that" above all else.

I'm fine with giving him a chance to prove himself.

His work ethic has already impressed Bailey.

atwater27
12-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Tebow is not the answer at QB for the Denver Broncos. Criminy, some of you are doing the same shit with Tebow that others did with McDaniels. In the end, Tebow is a mistake by McDaniels. Trade him away, get what you can, rebuild the right way, if we can't get A decent QB we stick with Orton, who played his ass off most of the year, and draft defense.

atwater27
12-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Top, if and when you check back in, did you have to break in a leather helmet like how you break in a new baseball glove?

And anyone caught with an Oprah tattoo should be thrown into a pit with rabid manatees and slobbered to death.

TXBRONC
12-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Tebow is not the answer at QB for the Denver Broncos. Criminy, some of you are doing the same shit with Tebow that others did with McDaniels. In the end, Tebow is a mistake by McDaniels. Trade him away, get what you can, rebuild the right way, if we can't get A decent QB we stick with Orton, who played his ass off most of the year, and draft defense.

I don't know Atwater I think he deserves a chance to prove himself.

atwater27
12-21-2010, 11:14 PM
I don't know Atwater I think he deserves a chance to prove himself.

I agree. and he will get his chance. But if we have a chance at Luck, we need to pull the trigger. I like tebow, I am just saying I don't think he will succeed as a starting NFL QB. i would actually be fine with him at RB. And of course I want him to prove me wrong....

BroncoWave
12-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Tebow is not the answer at QB for the Denver Broncos.

I wish I possessed your amazing psychic powers.

Criminy, some of you are doing the same shit with Tebow that others did with McDaniels.

What, actually give him a chance to prove himself instead of acting like a know-it-all and saying he will suck from day one? Yeah, god forbid that.

In the end, Tebow is a mistake by McDaniels.

One start and it's already the end? Wow, time sure flies.

BroncoWave
12-21-2010, 11:20 PM
I agree. and he will get his chance. But if we have a chance at Luck, we need to pull the trigger. I like tebow, I am just saying I don't think he will succeed as a starting NFL QB. i would actually be fine with him at RB. And of course I want him to prove me wrong....

Yeah, let's spend a first rounder on a QB when we just did so last year and have WAY too many holes on defense. :lol:

Dreadnought
12-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Yeah, let's spend a first rounder on a QB when we just did so last year and have WAY too many holes on defense. :lol:

If any picks in the first three rounds are used for offense somebody should get hanged. Probably Ellis and xanders but I'm open to other suggestions.

Tned
12-21-2010, 11:35 PM

First, you, nor anyone else, knows if Tebow is the answer or if he was a mistake.

Second, Orton may have played his ass off, but that's not good enough. He played horribly every time the game was on the line and he needed to lead the team to a win. He would be fine on a team with a dominant defense and running game, but he can't carry a team.

We don't know if Tebow is the answer, but clearly Orton is not the answer.

Day1BroncoFan
12-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Why don't we draft 10 QB's. We could let each one play a quarter or two. One or two quarters of playing should be plenty to tell if they're "The One" or not. If they don't tear it up we can cut them. After that we could maybe get the other 45 or so players we need to win.

:D

Just sayin'

Really, we need to give Tebow a chance, get the D fixed and work on our other needs. If Tebow doesn't pan out we can look for someone else. What makes anyone know (yes I said know, which is what some make it look like) drafting a QB in the first round next year no matter who it is will be "The One"?

robert ethan
12-21-2010, 11:49 PM
All three of the Bronco QBs are a lot better than anyone here seems to want to give them credit for. I think that coachs around the league realize that and there will be an active market for whichever of the three the team chooses to trade.

JaxBroncoGirl
12-22-2010, 04:52 AM
We have a lot of positives going for this team. With the right OC, HC and FO this team can accomplish a lot in the off season. The thought of MCD holding back his coaching staff and players is what did him in. I think the coaches are really not ready nor comfortable in their new roles as Actual Coaches. Give it time. Let Tebow work the next few games, look for the draft and FA and we should be good (hopefully with a good HC and OC and DC) we should be looking up now and not back. We have had so much adversity this year, let us look to the future and be positive. Lord it cannot get any worse (knock on wood).

SOCALORADO.
12-22-2010, 08:49 AM
All three of the Bronco QBs are a lot better than anyone here seems to want to give them credit for. I think that coachs around the league realize that and there will be an active market for whichever of the three the team chooses to trade.

Agree. I think orton gets traded in the offseason, but why trade anyone else? DEN just spent a high 1st to get TT, and they now have an adequate back-up in Quinn. I say leave it alone and develop them.
I think getting a GM/HC and staff is much more important than another cool toy at QB.

BroncoStud
12-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Pretty impressive article considering pretty much no rookie in his first start shows much polish - but ok...

I think it's a most a bash on his mechanics than anything, but his mechanics remind me a lot of Philip Rivers, and he's turned out pretty well most would say.

atwater27
12-22-2010, 09:34 AM

Not just any QB. Luck is a franchise QB. Tebow is not. You never pass on a franchise QB. You (should) never reach on a run first QB with obvious passing deficiencies. And by the way, where were you when your boy McD did just what you posted not to do?

BroncoWave
12-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Not just any QB. Luck is a franchise QB. Tebow is not. You never pass on a franchise QB. You (should) never reach on a run first QB with obvious passing deficiencies. And by the way, where were you when your boy McD did just what you posted not to do?

There is absolutely no guarantee that Luck will be any better than Tebow. If our FO were to draft another QB in the first round after doing so last year, with all the holes we have on defense, then we are the most incompetent organization in the NFL.

BroncoNut
12-22-2010, 10:42 AM
I don't take much of this to heart at this stage. I remember when everyone out here was all gaga over Patrick Ramsey

BroncoNut
12-22-2010, 10:44 AM

Franchise as in destined to secure a starting career with one team? Is that what franchise, the adjective, means?

PAINTERDAVE
12-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Broncos gonna win against the Texans.

We got no shot at Luck... IF he even comes out.

Franchis QB...

is a guy you can build your franchise around.

After a guy is a franchise QB for a while...
he may or may not become an ELITE QB.

Tebow ceratinly can and ought to be our franchise QB.

If he fails... than over time we get someone else.
If he succeeds... great.

Only time will tell.

Cugel
12-22-2010, 12:10 PM

You do realize that Brady Quinn is one of those QBs, right? :coffee:

Quinn is an utter failure as a franchise QB, who was run out of town and is currently listed among the top 10 draft BUSTS of All-Time by Sports Illustrated.

There's not ONE NFL GM who would offer a used gum wrapper for Quinn! The Broncos will cut him, and he will probably wind up on the bench somewhere else for a season or two before winding up OUT of football.

NOBODY thinks Brady Quinn will ever be a starting QB again in this league.

As for Orton, the Broncos need a backup and he's under contract with big guaranteed money anyway, so they might as well keep him in case Tebow gets injured.

EVERY team wants a future "franchise QB" and if they don't have one, they look to draft one. NOBODY thinks Orton is that guy. NOBODY!

His trade value is completely negligible despite what the Homers around here think! He's the very definition of a good journeyman QB. Unless your team is looking for a stop-gap, then Orton is not going to interest you at all. :coffee:

BroncoStud
12-22-2010, 12:11 PM
There is NO WAY Denver beats the Texans... Why does everyone think that? They're going to score 40 on our defense. Texans win easy.

Juriga72
12-22-2010, 12:14 PM
There is NO WAY Denver beats the Texans... Why does everyone think that? They're going to score 40 on our defense. Texans win easy.
this....... sadly

I Eat Staples
12-22-2010, 12:23 PM

Matt Ryan looked polished from day one, and Joe Flacco hasn't really gotten any better than when he started, which is a good and bad thing. Bradford is mechanically polished but as for reading defenses, he's not quite there.

BroncoJoe
12-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Luck hasn't even declared yet. All this talk is a waste until that happens. Hell, he may not declare with the uncertainty of the CBA. If I was him, I'd wait until next year so I know exactly what's going to be in place as far as $$.

LTC Pain
12-22-2010, 12:28 PM
There is absolutely no guarantee that Luck will be any better than Tebow. If our FO were to draft another QB in the first round after doing so last year, with all the holes we have on defense, then we are the most incompetent organization in the NFL.

Agree 100% Focus on front seven D-line deficiencies in the 2011 draft.

TXBRONC
12-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Matt Ryan looked polished from day one, and Joe Flacco hasn't really gotten any better than when he started, which is a good and bad thing. Bradford is mechanically polished but as for reading defenses, he's not quite there.

No not even close. Flacco, Ryan, and even Bradford have a running game solid defense to take pressure off of them. Marino didn't.

I Eat Staples
12-22-2010, 10:13 PM
No not even close. Flacco, Ryan, and even Bradford have a running game solid defense to take pressure off of them. Marino didn't.

Well, that's nice but it isn't relevant to the discussion...

tomjonesrocks
12-23-2010, 01:35 AM
I really hope we'll see some example of a pass on a rope this Sunday. Everything Tebow threw was pretty high off the ground and took a good amount of time to reach its target. The passes looked really catchable which is a good thing--but can he get rid of the ball quickly under pressure and hit a guy running across the middle with a bullet pass?

On foot I thought he looked faster than I was expecting.