PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Draft Targets

Montana Battlin Bear
12-20-2010, 09:56 PM
What do you guys feel is our biggest need for the upcoming season...
1. Nose Tackle
2. Defensive End
3. Safety
4. Cornerback
5. Speedy Running Back
6. Middle LB
7. Tight End
8. O-Line

I think our biggest need is a threat on the D-Line then Safety and then a pass catching Tight End

Northman
12-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Fairly for the win.

Jake Klug
12-20-2010, 10:00 PM
defensive line

DenBronx
12-20-2010, 10:06 PM
There's going to be a few good TE's in FA this year so pass on one rounds 1-6.

Our primary need is NT if we stick with the 3-4 and with the rookie cap possibly in place I don't care if we are picking 1,2,3,4 or 5 we just need to get the best DT available. Look what Suh has done already in Detriot. We need that monster in the middle in round 1.

I think we talk Bailey into staying with a 4 year deal and if somehow Cox is found not guilty then we will be fine at CB. Our LB's are our strength but we might want to add an ILB in round 4.

If we notch a DE or NT in FA then I guess I would be ok with TE Rudolph out of Notre Dame in round 2.

This is all fun to talk about but we really won't have the slightest clue until we bring in the proper coaches/cordinators/GM's. They could switch everything over to the Tampa 2 for all we know. :laugh:

Montana Battlin Bear
12-20-2010, 10:10 PM
I agree that we can pick up a very good Tight End through Free Agency or the later rounds of the draft.

I do feel that we need to go with D Line with the first pick and then hopefully Safety to follow (Dawkins and Hill are going downhill each year and McBath can't stay healthy).

For some reason I have a feeling that Tebow will rely heavily on tightends early on in his career so it would be nice to get a good catching tight end to help him out next year

DenBronx
12-20-2010, 10:19 PM
FYI, here's a list of TE's that will test the market this offseason. This is by far one of the biggest class of pass catching TE's in a long time.

Zach Miller, Vernon Davis or even Kellon Winslow anyone? I really don't think we need to burn a draft pick here. Let's just find Tebow a security blanket on this list. I know many of these guys could be franchised but who knows...

Pos Player Name FA Status Previous Team Current Team
TE Kevin Boss UFA New York Giants Free Agent
TE Brent Celek Re-signed Philadelphia Eagles Philadelphia Eagles
TE Owen Daniels UFA Houston Texans Free Agent
TE Vernon Davis UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent
TE John Gilmore UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent
TE Dan Gronkowski UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
TE Marcedes Lewis UFA Jacksonville Jaguars Free Agent
TE Randy McMichael UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent
TE Zach Miller UFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent
TE Dante Rosario UFA Carolina Panthers Free Agent
TE Bo Scaife UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent
TE Stephen Spach UFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent
TE Jerramy Stevens UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent
TE Ernest Wilford UFA Jacksonville Jaguars Free Agent
TE Kellen Winslow UFA Cleveland Browns Free Agent

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=TE&y=2011#ixzz18iEavxR5

Northman
12-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Lets trade Knowshon for Hernandez.

PAINTERDAVE
12-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Yeah, the TE IS the missing piece on our offense.

Taking an experienced one in free agency makes sense...
and apparantly Tebow's game in College relied heavily on the TE...

but if there are so many good ones on the free agent market...
stay with drafting Defense.

Juriga72
12-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Sign free agent D-line AND draft also. SOMEONE who understands NFL football.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/dl.html

WHAT a list... IF the new CBA is done, we can get some serious help thru FA... Did anyone see Julius Peppers last night? I would KILL a Raiders fan to get him here.

BroncoStud
12-21-2010, 10:09 AM
It would be really nice to have Winslow or Vernon Davis. But even a guy like Owen Daniels would be a big step up, and with Kubiak fired the Texans may not re-sign him.

Juriga72
12-21-2010, 10:27 AM
It would be really nice to have Winslow or Vernon Davis. But even a guy like Owen Daniels would be a big step up, and with Kubiak fired the Texans may not re-sign him.

I still think 75-80% of the offseason should go into the D....there are some serious D-linemen out there looking for work next year.

Superchop 7
12-21-2010, 03:25 PM
My God, this board is getting intelligent. (29 out of 32 voted d-line) Nice work.

But Sturdivant in the 2nd (LB) is a big piece of the puzzle too.

dogfish
12-21-2010, 03:33 PM
clearly, D-line is by far and away the biggest need, and has been for many years. . . i won't distinguish between nosetackle and five-technique, we're desperate for help at both spots. . .

i will say that end should be the top target simply because there doesn't look to be a true NT projected in the first round of this year's draft, while there will be several blue chips five-tech prospects. . . realistically, we need to add a NT in free agency (paul soliai, aubrayo franklin or shaun rogers), and a developmental stud that can be brought along slowly (jerrel powe, phil taylor, maybe stephen paea if he bulks up a bit). . .

IMO, we need to at least double dip-- preferrably triple. . . one guy ain't gonna do it, at all. . . it wouldn't be overboard to add a solid FA nosetackle and STILL draft 2-3 DLs. . . we're that far behind, and they take time to develop-- why not just knock it out this year and be done with it?

we've ignored it so long, i'm 100% cool with ignoring any other position for a year and just focusing on rebuilding the line for real. . . i'll take one of the aforementione FA NTs, and still be more than happy with fairley/dareus in the first, paea if he's there in the second, and powe or taylor in the third-- or whatever, depending on who's available where. . .

LTC Pain
12-21-2010, 03:40 PM
clearly, D-line is by far and away the biggest need, and has been for many years. . . i won't distinguish between nosetackle and five-technique, we're desperate for help at both spots. . .

i will say that end should be the top target simply because there doesn't look to be a true NT projected in the first round of this year's draft, while there will be several blue chips five-tech prospects. . . realistically, we need to add a NT in free agency (paul soliai, aubrayo franklin or shaun rogers), and a developmental stud that can be brought along slowly (jerrel powe, phil taylor, maybe stephen paea if he bulks up a bit). . .

IMO, we need to at least double dip-- preferrably triple. . . one guy ain't gonna do it, at all. . . it wouldn't be overboard to add a solid FA nosetackle and STILL draft 2-3 DLs. . . we're that far behind, and they take time to develop-- why not just knock it out this year and be done with it?

we've ignored it so long, i'm 100% cool with ignoring any other position for a year and just focusing on rebuilding the line for real. . . i'll take one of the aforementione FA NTs, and still be more than happy with fairley/dareus in the first, paea if he's there in the second, and powe or taylor in the third-- or whatever, depending on who's available where. . .

IMHO, the first three picks should be aimed at the front seven, especially the front three. Seems like we are good at OLB with Ayers and Doom but need an ass kicker at ILB. The Broncos' other needs (CB, receiving TE, FB/RB) can be addressed in later rounds.

bigtimebronco
12-21-2010, 05:43 PM
I would use our top draft pick for somewhere on the defensive line, whether it be at tackle or end and our second round pick on a cornerback, which this draft is deep in, this draft should almost be exclusively for the defensive side of the ball, we are not getting any younger and at this point signing more veteran free agents may not be very beneficfial, however we could use free agency to take care of things offensively at tight end and possibly runningback.

Cugel
12-21-2010, 06:02 PM

They've also got to be GOOD! The RIGHT players and not reaches the way Shanny & McIdiot have done. Giving up a 1st and a 3rd to move up in round one, then reaching for Jarvis Moss, taking Tim Crowder in the 2nd round. Passing by Brian Orakpo and taking Moreno, taking a project like Ayers, etc., etc. Giving up a 1st to move up in the 2nd and grab Alphonso Smith! No more wasted 2nd round picks either: like LB Terry Pierce or WR Darius Watts or RB Maurice Clarett. :mad:

We need SOLID prospects and not wild reaches for players who MIGHT develop!

And we need someone who can find talent, not someone like Xanders who wouldn't know real talent if it came up and bit him on the A**! :coffee:

broken12
12-21-2010, 06:20 PM
i know we go tebow and should allow him to progress but if luck is there no way we pass him up in round one! imagine him and elway at the podium, wow the defense from then on!

bigtimebronco
12-21-2010, 06:29 PM
i know we go tebow and should allow him to progress but if luck is there no way we pass him up in round one! imagine him and elway at the podium, wow the defense from then on!

Any intelligent coaching staff would pass up on luck if they were coaching the broncos for the simple fact, that until our defense is taken care of it doesnt matter who is at qb, because we wont be winning until the D is fixed up, Tebow is our guy at qb, we need to move on to positions where we actually desperately NEED new talent. And theres alot of them.

broken12
12-21-2010, 08:49 PM
my theory is if you not a good football team, make sure the guy that touches the ball on every play is a player! from what i see luck is that! defense will take more than one year to repair, offensively the qb can hide things that arent so good! trade away some players and prospects for picks for defense! we are pretty loaded offensively except at rb and fb, we got quinn, gaffney, tebow for the right price, graham and some others who we could trade away for defensive players or draft picks!

bigtimebronco
12-21-2010, 08:58 PM
my theory is if you not a good football team, make sure the guy that touches the ball on every play is a player! from what i see luck is that! defense will take more than one year to repair, offensively the qb can hide things that arent so good! trade away some players and prospects for picks for defense! we are pretty loaded offensively except at rb and fb, we got quinn, gaffney, tebow for the right price, graham and some others who we could trade away for defensive players or draft picks!

Still i believe we have at the very least two quarterbacks that can handle running our offense while we take care of more pressing needs, I'm not completely sold on Luck, I know he's an outstanding prospect but i dont think he's good enough that we bypass other outstanding players in positions which we are lacking in. I highly doubt anyone in the front office will let someone pull the trigger on another high round qb until tebow has had a year to prove himself.

BroncoWave
12-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Fairly for the win.

Agreed. He is the nastiest SOB in college football which is something our D has been missing for years. With Tebow leading our offense and Fairley leading our defense I would like the future of this team alot.