PDA

View Full Version : If you don't want potentialy bad news, don't read this .....

omac
09-04-2008, 11:41 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&line=121798&id=4997

Sep. 4 - 6:45 pm et

Broncos RB Anthony Alridge, who is out for the season, may need surgery for a Lisfranc injury.

A Lisfranc operation could threaten an undrafted tailback's career, and at the least Alridge's availability for OTAs next spring. Alridge is currently on I.R.

Source: Rocky Mountain News

Grrrrr!!!!!

He was complaining in the Arizona game that the Arizona players were intentionaly twisting his ankle after the plays were called dead.

Also, he already showed what he could do in the 1st half. Why did he even play the whole game?

Shanny and coaches, you may have botched this up big time. :mad:

red98
09-04-2008, 11:50 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&line=121798&id=4997

Grrrrr!!!!!

He was complaining in the Arizona game that the Arizona players were intentionaly twisting his ankle after the plays were called dead.

Also, he already showed what he could do in the 1st half. Why did he even play the whole game?

He is an undfrated FA who missed alot of pre-season. We had to see what he could do starting a whole game. (right?)

NameUsedBefore
09-04-2008, 11:51 PM
Wow that really sucks. Hopefully with an athlete's build he can recover from this.

honz
09-04-2008, 11:56 PM
What is a Lisfranc operation?

Benetto
09-05-2008, 12:00 AM
On a personal level I feel for the young man and hope his career is not over...but Denver runningbacks are changing all the time. I'm not that hurt by this news...If it was a big deal, they probably would have brought in Rudi.

Tned
09-05-2008, 12:09 AM
I saw this on Rotoworld earlier, just before going to bed and just popped open the laptop to post this. It sucks, as the recovery on those seems questionable.

Now we have two backs with the problem.

What is a Lisfranc operation?

It's what derailed Torrain in his senior year of college and why he wasn't drafted earlier (he was a high ranked senior before the injury).

It is a type of foot dislocation. (dislocated foot, kind of in the same veign as a dislocated ankle I guess, but affecting the foot).

Some players have come back from the injury, some have struggled.

Magnificent Seven
09-05-2008, 12:13 AM
Broncos better get Cecil Sapp back

honz
09-05-2008, 12:41 AM
Well, he was already on the IR so this news won't effect this year's roster.

slim
09-05-2008, 12:46 AM
LOL...dude got hurt in the last game. It's not like he was going to start :noidea:

omac
09-05-2008, 04:48 AM
Well, he was already on the IR so this news won't effect this year's roster.

Yes, but it could affect next year's roster. Aldridge has shown he has the talent to run in our system, both on the outside and within the tackles. He also has some major burst, with some break-away speed. This is a similar skill set to Felix Jones, who Jerry Jones thought was valuable enough to take use a 1st round pick on.

The only weakness Aldridge might have is pass protection, due to his size, but hopefuly he could work on that.

I hope he bounces back, because I really think he'd make some big plays for Denver.

omac
09-05-2008, 04:51 AM
He is an undfrated FA who missed alot of pre-season. We had to see what he could do starting a whole game. (right?)

I guess, but we'd already seen a lot in the 1st half, and he did complain about the pain, as Shanny said he fought through it ... so he knew. I just don't want to see a talent wasted on an injury that got migth've been more manageable had he left earlier.

broncofaninfla
09-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Hopefully the fact that he played on the ankle after it was injured is a promising sign. I hope it will not be an issue next year. As for how it can affect the team, the kid has speed but is clearly not a starter or every down back. He is a situational player at best, like Steve Sewell used to be. Regardless, I would love to see him come back and contribute and think he will be given every chance to do so next year.

LRtagger
09-05-2008, 09:02 AM

Not at the risk of jeopardizing his career. He wasn't in a position to start or play for us THIS year, but he could be a great asset to this team in future years. If he was complaining during the game, they probably should have split his second half carries with someone else.

If it turns out to be too much for Royal to be our #2 and return kicks and punts, Alridge would have been the perfect man to take over return duties. Lord knows how many draft picks Shanny has wasted trying to find a kick returner.

Not only that, but he would have been a perfect 3rd down back for us, IMO.

MOtorboat
09-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Not at the risk of jeopardizing his career. He wasn't in a position to start or play for us THIS year, but he could be a great asset to this team in future years. If he was complaining during the game, they probably should have split his second half carries with someone else.

If it turns out to be too much for Royal to be our #2 and return kicks and punts, Alridge would have been the perfect man to take over return duties. Lord knows how many draft picks Shanny has wasted trying to find a kick returner.

Not only that, but he would have been a perfect 3rd down back for us, IMO.

He could have returned kicks, though...especially since it looks like Royal is probably going to start with Marshall out and get significant playing time, as it is.

silkamilkamonico
09-05-2008, 10:27 AM

Well why in the he!! didn't you tell the coaches he was going to get injured?

NightTrainLayne
09-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Thank goodness I wanted some potentially bad news or else I wouldn't know what happened to him.

tubby
09-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Big deal.

He is too small.

Northman
09-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Denver should trade some future draft picks for Ray Rice from Bmore.

MOtorboat
09-05-2008, 12:40 PM

So we can have some more under-sized running backs? :confused:

rcsodak
09-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Wow that really sucks. Hopefully with an athlete's build he can recover from this.

Sometimes you make me shudder..... :coffee:

rcsodak
09-05-2008, 02:57 PM

:laugh:

Why? Aldrige wasn't on the roster when Sapp was cut!

Sapp SUX! Move on. :rolleyes:

rcsodak
09-05-2008, 03:00 PM

Quentin!

Quentin!

Quentin!

Quentin!!

:D

topscribe
09-05-2008, 04:26 PM

:confused: Tongue-in-cheek, I trust?

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
09-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Lisfranc's serious business. They have some new surgical techniques with it though, but that's disheartening news to say the least!

topscribe
09-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Lisfranc's serious business. They have some new surgical techniques with it though, but that's disheartening news to say the least!

Well, the Broncos apparently beat the odds with Torain.

Will they draw a Royal Flush two times in a row? Stay tuned . . .

-----

smith49
09-05-2008, 05:04 PM
i for one think it sucks. ya alridge was not a starter, but he had some skills. he also played most of that game on an injured foot. no dought he did that because he was trying to make the team, but the dude has some brass nuts IMO. i hope its not that serious and that he can recover. i would at least like to see what he is really capable of.

Simple Jaded
09-05-2008, 05:08 PM
That sucks for Aldridge, but the Broncos or any other team can find another ten just like him next years draft......and the draft after that.....and the draft after that (Assuming there is one).

This is not meant to be derogatory towards Aldridge, it's just how the Broncos are......by the time Aldridge is 100% healed from Lisfranc surgery, Shanahan will have gone through more RB's than underwear......

NameUsedBefore
09-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Sometimes you make me shudder..... :coffee:

Huh?

omac
09-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Well why in the he!! didn't you tell the coaches he was going to get injured?

Hehe, it was announced on tv by the sportscasters that he complained that the Cardinals players were intentionaly twisting his ankle. In an interview, Shanahan mentioned that he played through the injury, so he did know.

silkamilkamonico
09-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Hehe, it was announced on tv by the sportscasters that he complained that the Cardinals players were intentionaly twisting his ankle. In an interview, Shanahan mentioned that he played through the injury, so he did know.

They were giving the young man an opportunity to play, and it was a great time to see if he could play hurt, which, 100% of NFL players have to do at some point or another.

I guess I just fail to see where the coaches "botched that up big time".

omac
09-06-2008, 11:00 AM
They were giving the young man an opportunity to play, and it was a great time to see if he could play hurt, which, 100% of NFL players have to do at some point or another.

I guess I just fail to see where the coaches "botched that up big time".

I guess we just have different points of view. I agree with most of Shanny's decisions, but I just think they already saw what they needed to see very early on, and it was a no-bearing pre-season game. If Hall gets injured during the season, Aldridge would've been the one with the closest skills sets to his. Hopefuly, it isn't career threatening.

silkamilkamonico
09-06-2008, 11:08 AM
I guess we just have different points of view. I agree with most of Shanny's decisions, but I just think they already saw what they needed to see very early on, and it was a no-bearing pre-season game. If Hall gets injured during the season, Aldridge would've been the one with the closest skills sets to his. Hopefuly, it isn't career threatening.

I don't think he was automatically on the team yet. They were probably leaning his way, but Alridge was a guy that was undrafted, had 2 carries in his first game, and then missed the next 2.

Out of all of our RB's that should, or should not have been playing, he was the one that should have been playing. We can't afford Pittman hurt, especially with Sapp out, and now cut.

broncobryce
09-06-2008, 01:48 PM
It's been said before, but I agree that they wanted to see if he could carry it for the whole game. The guy weighs like 175 pounds. I weigh more than him, and he is taller than me. (barely) We already have enough injury prone running backs so Shanny wanted to see if he could handle it.

PatricktheDookie
09-06-2008, 02:43 PM
We were looking for a reason to cut Pittman.

We almost had it. =(

DenverBronkHoes
09-06-2008, 03:41 PM
we have enough backs.... Torain getting hurt is a much bigger blow...

DenverBronkHoes
09-06-2008, 03:44 PM
when u come into this league as an undrafted player u must start your journey with a chip on your shoulder... U have to work your way up. This kid was obviously being givin a chance and he got hurt. He is not what we wanted playin in a game if the guy is injury prone.....

Theres a reason why the average RB's career in the NFL is i believe 3.5 seasons.....

RBBC

DenverBronkHoes
09-06-2008, 03:50 PM
someone has a man-crush on this guy.......

Omac.... Did i actually a post from you about next years roster?..... We havent even played week 1 of THIS season.....??

Theres a good chance this guy is a "sandwich artist" by week 10 of THIS season....

Denver is known for getting RB's from nowhere.... Every year we pluck a potential star... THIS year it was Ryan Torain.... Not Anthony "3 plays and im hurt" Aldridge

hamrob
09-06-2008, 08:31 PM
This guy is a situational player (3rd down back) at best. Why? Because he is one dimensional....speed.

That being said, didn't Stokely have the same injury that he was able to come back from in one year. I believe he did...in any case, he's young and should be able to recover.

omac
09-07-2008, 08:35 AM
This guy is a situational player (3rd down back) at best. Why? Because he is one dimensional....speed.

That being said, didn't Stokely have the same injury that he was able to come back from in one year. I believe he did...in any case, he's young and should be able to recover.

Situational players are good. It's one of the reasons the Cowboys got Felix Jones. There are less and less 300 carry backs; more teams are using committees, and not necessarily of only 2 players, but even 3 or more. Aldridge did run real well, and it was against the #1s of Arizona. I really think he could've added another dimension to our offense.

And to DenverBronkHoes, no man crush here. No man crush ever ... well, maybe on myself. :D