PDA

View Full Version : Broncos cut Sapp outright

Magnificent Seven
09-04-2008, 04:40 PM
The Broncos worked out an injury settlement with Cecil Sapp and released their starting fullback from last season.

"I've got about three teams interested but I have to get healthy first," Sapp said from the Dove Valley visitors' parking lot Thursday.

Bothered by a strained hip flexor suffered in the Broncos' final preseason game Friday against Arizona, Sapp, a former Colorado State running back, was initially placed on the injured reserve list.

"Cecil is excited to get his release and start playing for another NFL team," said David Canter, Sapp's agent.

With Sapp gone, the Broncos are going with two rookies at fullback — Peyton Hillis, the starter, and Spencer Larsen.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10381444

DenBronx
09-04-2008, 04:46 PM
The Broncos worked out an injury settlement with Cecil Sapp and released their starting fullback from last season.

"I've got about three teams interested but I have to get healthy first," Sapp said from the Dove Valley visitors' parking lot Thursday.

Bothered by a strained hip flexor suffered in the Broncos' final preseason game Friday against Arizona, Sapp, a former Colorado State running back, was initially placed on the injured reserve list.

"Cecil is excited to get his release and start playing for another NFL team," said David Canter, Sapp's agent.

With Sapp gone, the Broncos are going with two rookies at fullback — Peyton Hillis, the starter, and Spencer Larsen.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10381444

make that 3 FB's.

hillis, larsen AND pittman if needed. i think were ok at fb now that hillis has made his move early. sapp to me was never a true fullback. alot of fans have always been really high on him and i just never got why. hillis is big, stong, elusive, has very very good hands and is a mauler when it comes to blocking.

larsen also seems like one of those guys thats always trying to take someones head off...could be interesting to see what he could do a fullback too. maybe the team is impressed at what they have seen of him in practices.

pittman can get plugged in at either rb or fb. i really hope we dont see this guy on the field that much this year unless its goal line situations.

BroncoJoe
09-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Calling Houston?

Buff
09-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Calling Houston?

Definitely. I'd be shocked if he didn't end up there-- The Texans are huge on ex-broncos and Kubiak is a big Colorado St. guy. I don't think he'll be able to resist.

BigDaddyBronco
09-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Pittman is also a great receiving RB. Look at his numbers in Arizona. So it wouldn't hurt me feelings to much if they used him at FB occasionally. I wonder with the TE's we have if we are going to use the FB much?

Sapp wasn't a bad ST player, but with all of the LB's we have now that shouldn't be much of a problem.

ktrain
09-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Definitely. I'd be shocked if he didn't end up there-- The Texans are huge on ex-broncos and Kubiak is a big Colorado St. guy. I don't think he'll be able to resist.

his son is a starting safety for the Rams so he has direct ties.

I loved Cecil when he was a Ram and thought he did a great job for the broncos, he blocked well for a converted running back and had some huge third and fourth down conversions on the rare occasions that he was given the ball.

While I am glad Hillis won the job because he apparently has more potential, Cecil is a class guy and I wish him the best of luck in Houston where he can be reunited with BVP and David Anderson!

Good luck Cecil and I hope you continue to be "proud to be a CSU RAM"

dogfish
09-04-2008, 09:33 PM
too bad. . . i've always appreciated his selfless approach to the game and grinder mentality. . .

best of luck to the diesel, wherever he ends up!

:salute:

and i won't automatically assume that it has to be houston, unless they're interested in him as a tailback. . . they've already got a beastly fullback in vontae leach. . . .

NameUsedBefore
09-04-2008, 09:43 PM
It was only a matter of time, really.

gobroncsnv
09-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Yeah, true, just a matter of time, he was never gonna be a pro bowl pick, but I agree with the others above... He was a selfless, "what do you need me to do" kind of player, and he played his butt off whenever we let him out there, without the personality defects that alot of players can get. I think everyone wishes him well, but we're moving on.