PDA

View Full Version : Cutler Kept Them Poised.

TXBRONC
09-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Some people have suggested that since Jay doesn't show a lot emotion that somehow he's not a leader. Well Daniel Graham would beg to differ with those who think otherwise.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/Denver/WWHI/2007/wwhi092107.htm

Cutler considered a better student of the game than Plummer

Sept. 21, 2007

Head coach Mike Shanahan suggested, in a recent conversation with the Denver Post, that Jake Plummer, with whom he had a successful but sometimes heated relationship during Plummer’s four years with the club, was not the student of the game that second-year QB Jay Cutler is. We’re told that was a big reason for the move to Cutler in 2006 for the final five starts of his rookie season. “He played well, he had success,” Shanahan told the Post of Plummer. “But Jake loves the game on Sunday. I don’t think he really likes football Monday through Friday.” Cutler, meanwhile, has been like a sponge, working hard to absorb whatever he can from the coaching staff and working to develop a rapport with his teammates. The results, thus far, have been positive. Mistakes are apparent, but so is the progress and the belief his teammates have in him. “He has a lot of confidence when he’s out there and as the leader of this offense, for such a young guy,” TE Daniel Graham told PFW after a narrow Week Two win over Oakland. “The guy kept us poised all day. That’s a good sign in this league, when you never really get frustrated.”

lex
09-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Wow, I thought Graham was going to say, "Cutler taught us how to love."

TXBRONC
09-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Wow, I thought Graham was going to say, "Cutler taught us how to love."

Lex are trying run down my thread?

lex
09-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Lex are trying run down my thread?

No. Sorry. Forget I said anything.

TXBRONC
09-21-2007, 05:34 PM
No. Sorry. Forget I said anything.

Hey no problem guy.

omac
09-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Cutler's demeanor is a big thing. When players look into their QBs eyes, they will sense if he's panicking or if he is in control. They seem to play confident with Cutler leading the offense. :cool:

TXBRONC
09-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Cutler's demeanor is a big thing. When players look into their QBs eyes, they will sense if he's panicking or if he is in control. They seem to play confident with Cutler leading the offense. :cool:

Two consecutive come from behind wins sure doesn't hurt.

Broncos Mtnman
09-21-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm not surprised to hear Shanny's comments.

I remember when Shanny was the AFC Pro Bowl coach. In one of his interviews, he mentioned his observations of the starting QB for the AFC (a certain Peyton Manning) and how much a student he was of the game.

He went on to mention how it was players like Manning that go on to be great in the NFL. I remember posting on another board how Shanny must have thought, "I got to get me one of these," as he was clearly unimpressed with Jake between Sundays.

It was just a few months later that we drafted Cutler.

I think it should also be mentioned that many in football (Steve Young, Phil Simms and others) made comments after we drafted him that he was the same type of student if the game that made others before him great.

I think Graham's comments are significant, when you consider that he played with Brady. Stokley has made similar comments, which should gain attention, considering he played with probably the best QB in the game today (Manning).

Jay's the real deal, folks.

:2thumbs:

Simple Jaded
09-21-2007, 08:05 PM
I know different people are fans of different types of leaders, but Cutlers style suits me just fine.

I'd much rather the Broncos have a QB like Cutler :cool:, than a QB like Rivers :Cry:....

BigBroncLove
09-21-2007, 08:05 PM
When I read that Cutler was hitting the books hard this offseason and workign with the coahcing staff everyday, I knew we had something special in Cutler. That's also the reason I think you see guysl ike Rivers right now struggling. Guys who have the skill sets, but don't take the time to hone them for their respective position. I lvoe reading stuff like this though, especially about a QB so young. :beer:

topscribe
09-21-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm not surprised to hear Shanny's comments.

I remember when Shanny was the AFC Pro Bowl coach. In one of his interviews, he mentioned his observations of the starting QB for the AFC (a certain Peyton Manning) and how much a student he was of the game.

He went on to mention how it was players like Manning that go on to be great in the NFL. I remember posting on another board how Shanny must have thought, "I got to get me one of these," as he was clearly unimpressed with Jake between Sundays.

It was just a few months later that we drafted Cutler.

I think it should also be mentioned that many in football (Steve Young, Phil Simms and others) made comments after we drafted him that he was the same type of student if the game that made others before him great.

I think Graham's comments are significant, when you consider that he played with Brady. Stokley has made similar comments, which should gain attention, considering he played with probably the best QB in the game today (Manning).

Jay's the real deal, folks.

:2thumbs:
Shanny is a big fan of work ethic, obviously. Something about work ethic
helps one to become more effective on the job. This is what I admire about
Manning (much as I dislike him otherwise): his work ethic. I remember a
certain touchdown pass he threw against us that was covered in, I think,
Sports Illustrated. Therein was an entire article on that one play. The
compexity of that play and everything that was going on at the time was
absolutely mind-blowing. :shocked:

I firmly believe that, had Peyton not spend those long winter and spring
months studying and working at his position, he would not have been able
to make that touchdown (which is representative of many others, I'm sure).
He had to catch Al Wilson out of position . . . which was not easy . . . so
he had to call a certain play, tell the receiver to alter his route a bit, and
wait until the precise split second to sling the ball through a hole, it seemed,
no larger than a basketball hoop.

That all came from preparation . . .hard work and study during the offseason
and during that Monday through Friday period to which Shanahan alluded.
This is why Shanny admires Manning so much.

Cutler, from all I have read and heard, is precisely that kind of person. If
he does not qualify for the HOF in the future, I will be surprised.

You heard it here first, gang. :coffee:

-----

TXBRONC
09-21-2007, 08:31 PM
It is really something to take note of when players like Graham and Stokely compliment Jay. As Mntman pointed out both of those guy played with elite quarterback.