PDA

View Full Version : ESPN AFC West Chat

BroncoAV06
09-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Just a few blurbs but quit a bit about the Broncos. Wanted to ask about the offense but the question I got through was about the timeout.

Bruce (Stillwater, MN): Hey Jeremy, will Marshall help or hurt Walker's production in Denver this year? Maybe less double teams, but also fewer catches?

Doug Kretz: (3:35 PM ET ) Bruce.. History tells us that having another legitimate receiver on the other side (see Indy) helps the established WR due to less double teams and more attention, over the top, to the other side..

Eric (Lancaster, Pa): What is up with Gates this year ?!? Did they silently ship him to Mexico and replace him with a machine? I know it's only two games in but he's on track for 1400 yards and 16 tds.

Doug Kretz: (3:37 PM ET ) Eric.. Remember, he is only in his fifth season, and that is without a college football career.. He is just now coming into his own and discovering just how good he can be.. The more he understands the game and the more he feels confident, the more he will produce..

Josh (Denver): Doug, I know VY gets most the pub. But is there any doubt among talent evaluators that Cutler is superior QB?

Doug Kretz: (3:39 PM ET ) I think most all of the O coordinators would pick Cutler at this point.. He is better at reading coverages and shows better touch and accuracy..

Kim Deal (Bako Ca): Didn't catch the game, but what can Raiders' fans take away from last weeks game against the Broncos (this year or next?)

Doug Kretz: (3:40 PM ET ) Kim.. The Raiders fans can come away with a lot of hope.. I have always said that the O starts with the offensive line.. And they are 100% better than they were last year.. Good coaching goes a long ways..

Jordan (Ohio): DK, is it just me or is Denver looking very dominant in what many would say not so convincing wins? The stats tell a completely different story than the final scores of their first 2 games...

Doug Kretz: (3:42 PM ET ) Jordan.. Good observation.. Denver is the #1 offense in the NFL, now and currently the number 2 defense.. Wins are wins, it does not matter if they are by 2 points or by 20.. Buffalo and Oakland are both much improved over last year..

LaMont Jordan (Oakland): Will I rush for 200 yards and 2 Td against Cleveland this week?

Doug Kretz: (3:43 PM ET ) I don't see 200 yards but 2 TDs could be well within your reach.. Especially at home..

J-Dog (NM): D-Dog, why was there so much fuss over the Broncos timeout? Last time I checked you could call a timeout any second before the snap. People just sour?

Doug Kretz: (3:44 PM ET ) J-Dog.. Yes, they are sour.. You can call a timeout ANY time before the snap.. The referees heard the timeout called in time and blew the whistle..

Cole (Kansas City): Huard or Croyle? And after throwing 3 ints so far, why does KC stick with Huard?

Doug Kretz: (3:45 PM ET ) Because Croyle does not know enough of the offense yet.. When you are a struggling team, you need veteran leadership at the QB position and someone that knows the whole playbook.. They can't afford to only use a portion of their playbook to be effective..

Jason (Northfield): Doug, People are quick to rip the Denver Rush D, but how much do you feel their yards against is a direct result of teams being afraid to pass on them?

Doug Kretz: (3:46 PM ET ) That is part of it.. Plus the Broncos front four are built to rush the passer more than stop the run.. And their linebackers are better at coverage than stepping up and taking on blockers, and making the play..

abram alex (las vegas ): do you think Dj Williams is ok or is it me but he needs to get a mean streak about himdo you agree

Doug Kretz: (3:47 PM ET ) Abram.. he is better at getting into coverage than the physical part of stopping the run.. Yes, he could use more of a Butkus type of temperment..

Rob Ashburn Va: I Vernon Davis the next T.O in terms of being a distraction to a team?

Doug Kretz: (3:48 PM ET ) I don't think so.. He had a great reputation, coming out of college as a bright, articulate young man.. He simply wanted to know what he needed to do to become more involved in the offense.. I like that attitude..

Chawboo (Logan, UT): With the way Shanahan beat the Raiders on Sunday can he now retire happy regardless of what happens in the rest of his career?

Doug Kretz: (3:50 PM ET ) Chawboo... His issues with Al Davis and the Raiders have passed by a long time ago.. He holds no grudge, anymore.. (although he still loves to beat the Raiders)..

Kev (Kansas): The Chiefs can't be as bad as the media is making them out to be. They had numerous chances to beat the Bears this past weekend but their abysmal O couldn't close the deal. Am I right, or are they really just a sinking ship?

Doug Kretz: (3:51 PM ET ) Kev.. The Chiefs are in a bad place, right now.. Their defense is doing a pretty good job (very good at causing turnovers), but their O is definately missing something (I think it's the O line)..

kit mpls: DK, got Henry playing Jacks this week. Will he get his like all RB's that played Jack so far or will it be like old times where he struggled against this team?

Doug Kretz: (3:52 PM ET ) Kit.. The Denver run game is hitting on all cylanders and he should get his yards this Sunday..

Ryan (San Diego): The Chargers play in the AFC West too. Will they get the offense straightened out this week?

Doug Kretz: (3:53 PM ET ) Ryan.. The Chargers offense is just too talented to remain dormant for any longer.. Look for a bigger output of production up in GB..

jimmy (springer nm): Do you think this division is the weakest in the afc and who do u pick to win the division sd or denver

Doug Kretz: (3:55 PM ET ) Jimmy.. Not at all.. KC and Oakland are not among the strongest. .But I'd put Denver and SD up against the top two in any other division..

Steven (IA): Do you see the Broncos winning the AFC West instead of the Chargers? How far will they go in the playoffs?

Doug Kretz: (3:57 PM ET ) I wouldn't have said the Broncos before the season, but the way their running game is going, I think they will replace the Chargers with both teams advancing past the first round.. After that????

Ryan (Chicago, IL): How can you say Croyle doesn't know the offense well enough? I know his wife is a distraction, but a year and a half (from first minicamp) is time enough.

Doug Kretz: (3:59 PM ET ) For a vast majority of the QBs in the league (Manning is the exception) it takes 2-3 years to understand the playbook and how to read coverages.. Some have started sooner but even they have struggled for a year, or two.. Coaches want QBs that don't make mistakes more than QBs that have the potential to produce.. Old addage in FB - Potential kills..

Astrass
09-21-2007, 03:34 PM
Neato! fun stuff in there..

I think he is being quite generous though. We have a ways to go on O. We need to start scoring inthe red zone.

TXBRONC
09-21-2007, 05:18 PM
I enjoyed reading the comments thanks for bringing them in here.

BroncoWave
09-21-2007, 05:40 PM
LaMont Jordan (Oakland): Will I rush for 200 yards and 2 Td against Cleveland this week?

Doug Kretz: (3:43 PM ET ) I don't see 200 yards but 2 TDs could be well within your reach.. Especially at home..

:rofl:

BigBroncLove
09-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Great read. Thanks AV

RunYouOver
09-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Good read.

Thanks!

omac
09-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Great post BroncoAV06! :salute:

I liked this part the most .....

Josh (Denver): Doug, I know VY gets most the pub. But is there any doubt among talent evaluators that Cutler is superior QB?

Doug Kretz: (3:39 PM ET ) I think most all of the O coordinators would pick Cutler at this point.. He is better at reading coverages and shows better touch and accuracy..

If Jay has a big year, I sure hope he doesn't do the Madden Cover like Vince did; Shanny should've made sure his contract covered those restrictions. :cheers: